The "Did you know?" thread

SirSharper

Did you know that the Hunting Lodge in Broken Railroad has a sign outside it that reads, "Mystery Lake Lodge"?

Did you know you can harvest a limb naked for 1.5h in a blizzard without getting Hypothermia on Interloper?

Did you know you can dance with a bear and wave bye bye as he runs away?

Did you know you can billygoat down into the Milton Basin past the Farmhouse or Park ropes?

Did you know wolves can go right through fences, if you stink enough?

Did you know Aurora Timberwolves have a special stalking behavior, in the last second kill or be killed time?

Did you know you can hear wolves in another region respond to howls from your current region?

Did you know a 1% condition fishing tackle lasts forever for clothes repairs?

Did you know that if you're not encumbered and can sprint, you can run straight through wolves with a lit torch in hand?

Did you know that corpsicles function as containers? I call my buddy at the Camp Office Trashcan Mark.

Did you know that Peanut Butter, Nuts candy bar, or cooked meat are just as dangerous for Food Poisoning as the same condition Sardines?

Did you know that you can light a maglens fire in the Aurora, when it lasts past sunrise?

• Upvote 7
  • Like 3

Did you know, you can cook ruined meat or food, it will up their condition to 50% and be eaten without problem?

So you can gather all the meat you can and eat it 1000 days later if you want to.

Did you know the milling machine in Bleak Inlet will up your gunsmithing skill if you repair gun or rifle?

• Upvote 3
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Did you know, that in pleasant valley, in the cave by the picnic area and waterfall near Timberwolf mountain, there’s a small tunnel that leads to a secret cave that has a rifle, handgun, 2 corpses, waterfall, and around 30 rounds of various ammo, as well as a knife and flares?

• Upvote 4
  • Like 1

Truthfully, I use a custom design that is way different from any of the presets, and each sandbox I change it a good bit. I think in this one I raised one loot spawn thingy and another dropped it way down, was trying to see if it made it so that loot was rare but when present, tended to be a jackpot. Maybe that’s why all that spawned there. I think I used voyageur as a base on this one, and raised the predator spawn way up, and the rate of getting cold up. There’s some things I hate about interloper that make it not fun for me, so I tend to make a lower difficulty harder.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2020 at 3:52 AM, SirSharper said:

im dying 🤣

So was Trashcan Mark xd 

I would love to contribute, but everything i know has already been said. I'll do my best, but apologies if I copy someone.

Uhh, did you know that a wolf can and will patiently wait outside of your cabin for even a day. You probably know how I found out- It wasn't fun. 

Did you know that bears can occasionally be found trying to get back to hibernation. 

(I learnt this from a TLD Youtuber) You can typically eat really low quality things and evade food poisoning if you eat it right when it's found. 

Did you know that wolves are never too pleased when you try steal their deer carcass from them. 😛

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Ok, did you know that a bear can be so aggravated by your presence that it will attack and maul you through a fire while you’re on a porch with rails, cooking the last 0.2 kg piece of 5.2 kg of wolf you shot? I didn’t know this, and felt that advancing time for 14 minutes was safe....

• Upvote 2

Did ya know that you can cut down your pain meds usage in half by exploiting the "dropped painkiller" glitch?

In order for it to work you must have two separate bottles in your inventory.  works best when each bottle contains at least 6 or more pills.
after you are injured, open your HUD and go to medications.  select a bottle and drop all but one in a mass drop.  Take the one pill remaining and it should work in most cases.  
pick up your remaining pills and carry on, pain free!  

• Upvote 4
  • Like 1

This only works outdoors when it's ridiculously cold out, so Interloper basically.  But with Level 5 firestarting, you can have a permatorch.  When you light a fire with a stick, you can immediately grab a torch out of it if you're quick.  When that torch burns out, harvest it for 1 stick.  Light another fire with that stick and immediately harvest a torch.  Repeat as often as you need. 

On sunny days this is a great way to have a torch with you at all times without having to carry extra sticks.

Edit: On a similar note this is a good way to get rid of burnt out torches too.  Rather than throw the ruined torch in the fire for no benefit, harvest a stick, and throw that in the fire instead.

Edited by ajb1978
  • Upvote 1

On 9/14/2020 at 9:12 PM, Morgntorg said:

Did you know, you can cook ruined meat or food, it will up their condition to 50% and be eaten without problem?

So you can gather all the meat you can and eat it 1000 days later if you want to.

Did you know the milling machine in Bleak Inlet will up your gunsmithing skill if you repair gun or rifle?

But don't store it in a container, or it will disappear when it reaches zero condition (applies to cairns too sadly, I believe).

Places you think of as indoors or outdoors aren't always classed as such by the game.  Try dropping a skin to see if it begins to cure, or trying to light a fire.  Can be useful for avoiding or healing cabin fever.

On 10/17/2020 at 10:48 AM, DrZ said:

I never read it and I have a limited sample size but all bears I hunted dropped after 4 arrows. No matter where I hit them.

For me, most of the time I just shoot him once and wait for him to bleed out as it usually doesn't take too long.  Sometimes it does though.  Those times where I've been impatient to wait and then skewer him with 2 or more arrows, I don't seem to get all the arrows back when he finally does drop.  
Curious, do you recover all 4 arrows when he do finally take him down?

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

For me, most of the time I just shoot him once and wait for him to bleed out as it usually doesn't take too long.  Sometimes it does though.  Those times where I've been impatient to wait and then skewer him with 2 or more arrows, I don't seem to get all the arrows back when he finally does drop.  
Curious, do you recover all 4 arrows when he do finally take him down?

Same here. Bleed out is a viable option but I like to have him drop right there as he might collapse in a wolf area. Which sucks. So I tried to hunt like "Even Dark" on youtube with a fire but - contrary to him - my second hit rarely gets the job done. And this is how I learned that if I pump two more arrows into the bear I have him right there.

So far I got all my arrows back and I actually think this is because of this technique: I read somewhere that a hit and running animal can lose arrows during it running around. So you not only have to find the body but cover the entire area where it was running around to spot your missing arrow. If I manage to land the four arrows before he runs off he has no chance to "lose" my arrows without me seeing them.

9 hours ago, DrZ said:

So far I got all my arrows back and I actually think this is because of this technique: I read somewhere that a hit and running animal can lose arrows during it running around. So you not only have to find the body but cover the entire area where it was running around to spot your missing arrow. If I manage to land the four arrows before he runs off he has no chance to "lose" my arrows without me seeing them.

outstanding, I am going to have to try that strategy sometime and see if I can get it to work.  Currently I like to put a shaft into him from a safe space either up on a rocky ledge or from the distance and duck into a car or fishing shack.  Most of the time as I track him, I'll be gathering sticks as I walk along in anticipation of the fire I'll be needing when it comes time to butcher his carcass.  That damn bear can walk quite a distance sometimes while he is bleeding.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

outstanding, I am going to have to try that strategy sometime and see if I can get it to work.  Currently I like to put a shaft into him from a safe space either up on a rocky ledge or from the distance and duck into a car or fishing shack.  Most of the time as I track him, I'll be gathering sticks as I walk along in anticipation of the fire I'll be needing when it comes time to butcher his carcass.  That damn bear can walk quite a distance sometimes while he is bleeding.

🤞

Just keep in mind that I have a limited sample size and I could be wrong. But it made sense that a bear and a moose take 4 arrows max.

Usually for me it goes like: Attract bear to my fire. Get behind fire and shot. Hit. Redraw and see him stop because of the fire. Go for the head shot - which fails. Bear starts running around in panic (most times even towards me - which is scary). Land one more arrow and then he usually is too far away. Therefore I have to catch him after a change in direction due to an obstacle or so for the fourth hit.

On 10/17/2020 at 10:18 PM, DrZ said:

I never read it and I have a limited sample size but all bears I hunted dropped after 4 arrows. No matter where I hit them.

A critical hit can  bring down a bear with just one well aimed shot... and that's also true for the hunting rifle.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Per the wiki (though I admit, I can't vouch for the accuracy of the information):
"Critical hits
Critical hits are random occurrences, but are more likely in designated critical areas. Bears seem to have four areas, the head and neck, the front shoulder and chest, the hindquarters, and their feet. Shots to the head and neck seem to have the best chance to cause a critical hit (~30%), with shots to the front shoulder and chest being second. Shots to the feet seem to be immune to critical hits."

Also:
"No Fear of Fire
Bears are not afraid of fire and will walk right through it. If antagonized, they will charge right through it. Campfires, flares, and torches offer no protection from bear attack."

Edited by ManicManiac