The "Did you know?" thread

SirSharper

Did you know: in some cases, wolves can attack you indoors? And I'm not talking about the ones that spawn indoors either. Wolves (and bears) can attack through the closed door of an ice fishing hut, as well as the Mountaineer's Hut, if you stand too close to it.

Did you also know: predators cannot attack you if you're in an area that can only be accessed by squatting. So hiding under a fallen tree is safer for hunting than using a hunting blind.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Did you know:  You can get frostbite the risk/affliction while Feels like Temperature (FLT) says you are warm, even completely warm?

FLT refers to whole body temperature (the net of ambient air temp, windchill, clothing warmth/windchill resistance and any other source of warmth like a fire) while frostbite affects an (uncovered/unprotected) extremity and FLT does not apply (net of ambient air temp, windchill [I think], and any other source of warmth like a fire or a bedroll or bed). 

Other than the initial warning of the risk, the notification that the risk was dissipated, or the announcement that you now have frostbite the affliction, there is no way to know where you stand on the state of the risk (rising, falling, static) except by looking at the status screen (i.e. where things like sprains, etc. show up) .  Even if you think you have taken care of the cause (e.g. found a covering for an extremity) until the frostbite risk is gone keep an eye on it and don't assume that everything is okay now.  

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Glflegolas said:

Did you know: in some cases, wolves can attack you indoors? And I'm not talking about the ones that spawn indoors either. Wolves (and bears) can attack through the closed door of an ice fishing hut, as well as the Mountaineer's Hut, if you stand too close to it.

Did you also know: predators cannot attack you if you're in an area that can only be accessed by squatting. So hiding under a fallen tree is safer for hunting than using a hunting blind.

Also seems to work the other way around: Killed a wolf with an arrow once that was standing really close to the Dam fence and was growling at me (head seemed to be on my side of the fence). Never worked when it had a distance to the fence.

• Upvote 1

Did you know:

You can use the light thrown by the sparks of a storm lantern when you ignite it to either get your bearings or light your way? - i.e. just use the process of igniting rather than the lantern itself and deliberately stop short of igniting. You can do this indefinitely without using any lantern fuel. Useful for getting your bearings in places with a lot of obstacles (e.g. say you were cooking in BR maintenance shed after dark and want to get back to the one of the beds) or even finding your way in tunnels if you have the time and patience.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Using the electronic igniter of the storm lantern as a light source was used a long time ago when lanterns used kerosene not lamp oil.  At the time it didn't use any fuel but  that "exploit" (oh that word which was used a lot back in Early Access 🙂 ) was "fixed" and it would consume a small amount of fuel. 

A consideration about using the "sparking" is that if your lantern does not have any fuel that can cause a problem in the game since it does not have a graceful way to abort lighting a fuel-less lantern that can leave a player with a lantern in hand, unable to put it away and the game still runs,  if that happens the only recourse seems to be to quit and reload. 

On 11/28/2020 at 2:58 PM, DrZ said:

Also seems to work the other way around: Killed a wolf with an arrow once that was standing really close to the Dam fence and was growling at me (head seemed to be on my side of the fence). Never worked when it had a distance to the fence.

This is definitely true. I’ve killed three bears this way in pleasant valley alone, two in that shed kinda near the three strikes and another on the farmhouse porch. Bagged a couple wolves too. If the head is thru the wall, fence, etc you can shoot it

@TiffTastic - I think this is a design feature, at least in some locations - the porch of Pleasant Valley Farmhouse, the annex to the Maintenance Shed in Broken Railroad and Old Spence Homestead and the Poachers Camp in Muskeg are all designed to operate this way. And I think to an extent that is to compensate for the number of predators in the surrounding area. Didn't know about the Pleasant Valley sheds though - I've been luring my bears all the way back to the Farmhouse before killing them (which I'll probably continue to do - saves lugging the meat about 🤣).

Did you know that you can score a free deer kill by:

1)chasing a deer towards a wolf

2)waiting for the wolf to take it down

3)come up on the wolf and when it turns to growl at you, aim a rock at it!  Just aiming is usually enough.  The wolf scares off.

4)build a fire and harvest/cook the deer!    If the wolf returns to growl at you, aim that rock again!  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bean said:

2)waiting for the wolf to take it down

3)come up on the wolf and when it turns to growl at you, aim a rock at it!  Just aiming is usually enough.  The wolf scares off.

4)build a fire and harvest/cook the deer!    If the wolf returns to growl at you, aim that rock again!  

I prefer to do 3) then shoot wolf with whatever projectile weapon I choose, and proceed to feast on sweet, sweet deerwolf burgers....

• Upvote 1

On 11/25/2020 at 12:10 PM, Zaknafein said:

Flares and torches are not the same thing :)

Just a follow up on this. When I was playing a few days ago....When I left Carter Dam heading on Winding River I encountered a wolf. I pulled out a flare and I was still attacked by the wolf. As a note, I did have a pretty strong scent coming off of me. That is probably the reason that the flare didn't work.

19 hours ago, TiffTastic said:

I prefer to do 3) then shoot wolf with whatever projectile weapon I choose, and proceed to feast on sweet, sweet deerwolf burgers....

I pulled out a torch and chased off the wolf that way. When I was done harvesting some of the deer I pulled a torch from the fire and slowly backed away. Worked like a charm.

On 12/3/2020 at 5:41 PM, Bean said:

[...]

Does that still work for everybody? I used to do it and a few months back noticed that the deer (at least in CH) knew where a wolf patrol area was and I was quite unable to scare them in that specific direction. They were fleeing away from me and the wolf 95% of the time.

(One workaround I used successfully was to turn it upside down. I lured the wolf towards the deer with some smelly meat... )

At some point in the not so distance past, the animal AI appeared to have been modified so the deer and wolf/wolves would head in more random directions than might be expected and sometimes frustratingly so.   

I have been herding a deer towards where a wolf was only to have the deer, with a large number of directions it could have gone, flee right back through me.  It was not impossible, but luck does matter in the process a lot more. 

• Like 1

It helps to keep the deer moving in the right direction by running after it.  If you can stay in fear range it will keep going in the same general direction.

also if you want to scare it in a certain direction, come at it slowly from the opposite direction.  That way you trigger the very edge of its fear radius leaving it only one direction to go: away. 

OK this is kind of embarrassing as it's more of a "Something I should have realised earlier" - though it's possible that others may have overlooked it too, so maybe worthwhile.....

Did you know that;

Climbing ropes which are already deployed in a climbing spot can be un-deployed and carried off for use elsewhere? I always assumed they were fixed in place and the only ropes a player could deploy themselves were those found in various buildings and storage cupboards across the map. Useful, in particular, in somewhere like Timberwolf Mountain because once you have completed looting the higher altitude sections, there is no real reason to re-visit them (there's enough resources at lower levels if you're planning a longer stay) - and ropes that you have un-deployed might be needed in, say, Ash Canyon.

Now I look, I realise that this is explained in the Wiki - but outside of Timberwolf Mountain, I can't think of a region (Ash Canyon might turn out like this) which has a rope already in place that you don't want to leave where it is.....

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, past caring said:

OK this is kind of embarrassing as it's more of a "Something I should have realised earlier" - though it's possible that others may have overlooked it too, so maybe worthwhile.....

Did you know that;

Climbing ropes which are already deployed in a climbing spot can be un-deployed and carried off for use elsewhere? I always assumed they were fixed in place and the only ropes a player could deploy themselves were those found in various buildings and storage cupboards across the map. Useful, in particular, in somewhere like Timberwolf Mountain because once you have completed looting the higher altitude sections, there is no real reason to re-visit them (there's enough resources at lower levels if you're planning a longer stay) - and ropes that you have un-deployed might be needed in, say, Ash Canyon.

Now I look, I realise that this is explained in the Wiki - but outside of Timberwolf Mountain, I can't think of a region (Ash Canyon might turn out like this) which has a rope already in place that you don't want to leave where it is.....

I don't think any of the ropes in ML lead to an area that cannot also be reached by foot, so if I'm unlucky enough to not get a ravine rope spawn I'll happily pinch one from ML- especially on loper where I don't want to be hunting around for a spare, and the flare gun is more than worth any minor inconvenience in ML.

a couple of my favorite tricks- especially useful on interloper-

You can quarter an animal in time increments. If you pause after an hour you can go back to shelter to warmup and then finish harvesting in just another hour.  (Never made sense why cutting wood doesn’t work that way).  anyway it’s helpful of you can’t build a fire near the carcass or just want to save precious matches. 
   second one is you can daisy-chain torches. drop a torch just before it burns out and light new torch with it. works with any ignition sources- flares etc. 

17 hours ago, Schrodingers Box said:

You can quarter an animal in time increments. If you pause after an hour you can go back to shelter to warmup and then finish harvesting in just another hour.  (Never made sense why cutting wood doesn’t work that way)

I would have liked that, interrupting a woodcutting session of eg 3 pieces of cedar wood after 1/3 of the time and get 1 piece of wood. And the same for reading skill books. It's still so annoying when you read an hour before bed and it gets pitch black 5 minutes early so you can't finish the whole hour and gain no new knowledge whatsoever.

• Like 2

On 12/2/2020 at 11:31 AM, past caring said:

Did you know:

You can use the light thrown by the sparks of a storm lantern when you ignite it to either get your bearings or light your way? - i.e. just use the process of igniting rather than the lantern itself and deliberately stop short of igniting. You can do this indefinitely without using any lantern fuel. Useful for getting your bearings in places with a lot of obstacles (e.g. say you were cooking in BR maintenance shed after dark and want to get back to the one of the beds) or even finding your way in tunnels if you have the time and patience.

are you sure it doesnt use fuel? i think i tested this once long ago and concluded that it did indeed have a cost involved so i stopped doing it and just went as quick as possible with the lantern on

You may well be right. I'll admit that when I posted, I hadn't properly tested and I thought I'd discovered something - and assumed it wouldn't consume fuel.

Now that I've tested more, I think it does use a tiny amount of fuel - certainly worth doing if you need to save fuel and have the time.

On 6/13/2020 at 4:40 PM, SirSharper said:

When I realized you could stop on ledges while climbing. 

So much wasted coffee. 

To be fair ledges are a fairly new addition to the game. Lol.

I started playing the game before cooking pots were introduced. It took me a while to realize that I could start a fire and boil water without. My character died a bunch before I figured it out and then Hinterland gave us cooking pots and nixed that no pot/can option...

• 3 weeks later...

Hey 

You can go down to the dam before you get past carter's rope. 

For this, go up the rope without climbing the stairs and touch the rope. Do as if you were climbing and get off now. Of course, another way.

Come up to the rope again and when you get to the corner of the iron in front of you, you can get on top of it. Keep going without leaving anything.