The "Did you know?" thread

SirSharper

Crafting arrow shafts, arrows, and bows (and maybe arrowheads?) will increase your archery skills. I had a couple of "archery days" at Fishing Camp to burn some accrued food, water, and scrap wood, spending three days outside at the work table (with a fire behind me) crafting arrows (from birch) and bows. Found that I was closing in on Archery Level 4 afterwards, all without firing a singe shaft or reading anything.

Edited by straffin
added details
  • Upvote 1

On 2/18/2021 at 8:50 PM, Niskavuori said:

Cooking you fish in a pot gives you more lampoil than frying it on stove top.

This got me quite excited, as I was not aware of such relationship.
I knew it cooks it faster, but not that it gives more oil.

I tried checking it, to see the exact difference, cooking 2 larger batches of fish of the same type and ~same weight, in order to minimize distortion from rounding, and was using a large can to catch all oil:
1st batch: with cooking pot: 15,75 kg raw Coho Salmon >> 10,40 kg cooked fish + 0,50 L oil
2nd batch: without cooking pot: 16,29 kg raw Coho Salmon >> 10,75 kg cooked fish + 0,52 L oil
Doing the math:
- both end up making 66,0% cooked fish
- both end up making 3,18-3,19% oil (actually the 2nd one was higher, but the difference is within rounding error)
As excited as I was about this info, I'm sorry to say, using the pot does not seem to be making any difference in the end in either the oil or the cooked fish quantity, only reducing the cooking time.

• Upvote 1

On 3/5/2021 at 4:34 AM, AdamvR said:

This got me quite excited, as I was not aware of such relationship.
I knew it cooks it faster, but not that it gives more oil.

I tried checking it, to see the exact difference, cooking 2 larger batches of fish of the same type and ~same weight, in order to minimize distortion from rounding, and was using a large can to catch all oil:
1st batch: with cooking pot: 15,75 kg raw Coho Salmon >> 10,40 kg cooked fish + 0,50 L oil
2nd batch: without cooking pot: 16,29 kg raw Coho Salmon >> 10,75 kg cooked fish + 0,52 L oil
Doing the math:
- both end up making 66,0% cooked fish
- both end up making 3,18-3,19% oil (actually the 2nd one was higher, but the difference is within rounding error)
As excited as I was about this info, I'm sorry to say, using the pot does not seem to be making any difference in the end in either the oil or the cooked fish quantity, only reducing the cooking time.

Intersting....
Did my testing back July, 2020. And I got more oil from smaller one with pot. Although my sample was realy small. Could have been rounding distortion as you said
But huge thanks publishing your results.

My original post  is copy+pasted below

Cought 2 White fish.
Fried 1,67kg one on stove top and got 0,02L of oil.
2nd fish, 1,49kg, was fried in a pot and I got 0,03L fishoil.
Using pot gives definately a better yield!

Edited by Niskavuori
Typoes

2 hours ago, Niskavuori said:

Cought 2 White fish.
Fried 1,67kg one on stove top and got 0,02L of oil.
2nd fish, 1,49kg, was fried in a pot and I got 0,03L fishoil.
Using pot gives definately a better yield!

This does make sense since pot gives advantage in everything else already.

Thanks @Niskavuori and @Stinky socks for your comments and the details!

Seeing the discrepancy I wanted to figure out what was going on, and  think I have the answer(s) - you'd be surprized...

1) I moved my character to ML to catch Lake Whitefish (to match Niskavuori's test), and redo the experiment with a lot more detail. I caught 18 Lake Whitefish, which i separated to two groups of 9 with 18,38Kg and 18,32Kg each.
I cooked them one by one, noting the weight, the shown oil yield AND the oil level in the Jerry Can after each fish.

I confirm again, that the oil yield is the same with or without the pot, but there are other differences (see further points below)  0,28/0,27 L for the above batches. I'm copying my detailed testing table at the bottom, for anyone interested

2) The shown oil yield is often less than the actual oil added to the Jerry Can. For the above batches the sum of oil yield shown on screen after the cooked fish is harvested was 0,21L without pot, but the Jerry Can had 0,28L Oil added. With the pot it was 0,23L shown on screen, and the Jerry Can increase was 0,27L. 
Based on my calculations, the source of the discrepancy is, that the on-screen amount is always rounded down to 2 digits, i.e. 0,0299L is rounded to 0,02L, instead of rounding it correctly. The Jerrycan contents are probably not rounded (or rounded to more than 2 digits). As in the end you are using the Jerrycan to fill the lamp, that is the one "that counts".

3) When selecting the fish for cooking in the pot, the cooked weight of the fish is shown (which is 35% less, than the raw weight!), while for cooking on stovetop, the raw weight is shown. I would guess this might have caused the difference in Niskavuori's test: 1,67Kg raw Lake Whitefish should produce 0,025 L oil, rounded to 0,02L; while 1,49Kg of cooked Lake Whitefish (equivalent of 2,29Kg raw Fish) would result in 0,034L oil, rounded to 0,03L.

4) There are differences in oil yield between the 4 types of fish. Based on my tests:
(I had level 5 cooking at this point, I'm not sure if the skill impacts the oil yield, and did not test it)
Sea Fish:
Coho Salmon: 0,032 L/Kg (average fish weight based on fandom: 4,15 Kg >> 0,133 L)
Rainbow Trout: 0,025 L/Kg (average fish weight based on fandom: 1,40 Kg >> 0,035 L)

Lake Fish:
Smallmouth Bass: 0,025 L/Kg (average fish weight based on fandom: 3,40 Kg >> 0,085 L)
Lake Whitefish: 0,015 L/Kg (average fish weight based on fandom: 1,90 Kg >> 0,029 L)
Conclusion: For oil, it is probably better to fish at Sea, than on a Lake, as both fish there have more oil on average.
(I did not test whether the fish yield caught is the same or not in the two locations based on time spent)

The detailed test results on cooking Lake Whitefish, for those interested:
image.png.5ce3a0933af3733e9a6574861d036d92.png

Edited by AdamvR
  • Upvote 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Misanthrope87 said:

I wish I knew before I bought it.

You seem to be implying that you would not have bought the game if you had known that the result of events was influenced by random decisions.

How did you think such events in games were decided?

Then it's WAR!!! YOU SLAUGHTER THEM BEFORE THEY GET TO YOU!! revolver, rifle and bow will be your friend and your right arm. Put your faith in the bullet and the arrow. They will travel straight to the heart of the beast, given you have high skill level. The others will turn away and run!(if you are in bleak inlet and hunting timberwolves)

You shall wipe them off the face of the frozen wild earth! Have faith my friend! May your instincts guide you!🔱

• Like 2

This one is a little esoteric, but TIL that: The items in your backpack, when sorted by weight, display their actual weight but are sorted by their perceived weight.

Worn clothing feels 25% lighter than carried clothing, so my inventory shows Hatchet (1.50kg), Storm Lantern (1.25kg), Mukluks (1.50kg), and Prybar (1.00kg) as the first four items because the Mukluks weigh 1.50kg when carried, but only 1.13kg when worn (placing them between the 1.25kg and 1.00kg items when sorted by weight). Similarly, my Combat Pants (carried weight = 0.75kg) sort between 6 OMB Dressings (0.60kg) and 5 Bandages (0.50kg) because, when worn, they feel like 0.56kg.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Real world Cabin fever is the popular name for seasonal affective mood, a depression condition caused by the body producing more melatonin when it gets very dark outside. It is relieved by being outside in the sunlight. It is far more common in the northern latitudes. For instance, in the population of Fairbanks Alaska it is estimated that 1 out of 10 inhabitants suffer from the condition.  

Having experienced seasonal affective disorder for myself while living in Alaska, it’s kind of just depressive.  Feeling low.  What helped me was using a tanning bed at the local hair salon.  Which made me want to go somewhere warm and sunny.  So I did. 

• Like 1

Guest jeffpeng
On 4/3/2021 at 9:24 PM, The Orange Birb said:

Did you know that coal is a renewable resource (In The Long Dark)?

I like how you put that in braces xD

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let y'all know that if you're in a pinch and short a cooking slot you can heat up coffee/tea by dropping the cups next to the fire.

Also thanks to the devs of the game. This is the first game I've been able to get into since a decade ago. Really calming and fun.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, terinuptrash said:

Just wanted to let y'all know that if you're in a pinch and short a cooking slot you can heat up coffee/tea by dropping the cups next to the fire.

Also thanks to the devs of the game. This is the first game I've been able to get into since a decade ago. Really calming and fun.

The same works for canned food. If You drop that near a burning fire, the opening animation starts. This is also important, if You just want to drop it without having a can opener. You are loosing some calories by smashing a can open.

• Upvote 1

Tapping the sprint button in time with your stride is more effective than just holding it.. you will travel approx 1/3 more distance for the same stamina. This is used by speedrunners.

If you go to options - accessibility - interaction type and change it to 'click' you no longer have to hold the button to open anything. You can also then turn on your lantern while opening a door by clicking the door then reclicking for the lantern and it will be on as you enter. Again this last bit is a speedrunning trick.

Hot drinks will stay warm longer in your inventory while indoors.

Pinnacle peaches don't give a heat buff due to a bug.

If you are in trouble with either a bear or moose, circling a tree might buy you some time while grabbing a flare or reloading or questioning your life choices.

If you light a fire beside a car, you will get the benefit of that fire while inside the car. Just make sure you exit at the opposite side.

If you haven't already mapped an area you can use it to find an animal that has bled out. It can only be used once per area though.

Don't click on a deer carcass to check what meat it has unless you intend to harvest it. If you click it then walk away it will vanish within a couple of days (haven't timed it).

Cooked drinks are far lighter (more than a third from memory) than water so making 10 teas is a better option for fluids for travel. Making drinks also levels cooking skills, so early game it's worth making a lot.

It's been mentioned already about coal being renewable, so.. even if you don't need the coal, if you're passing through a cave, pick it up anyway and just drop a few in a pile so it's there for later.

Gunpowder can also be used as lighter fuel. From memory I think it is lighter also.

If you're trying to figure out the shortest routes through a big area (eg passing through CH) then playing escape the darkwalker is useful as you can open the map and see exactly where everything is, where you are, and what the route is like in real time.

In loper, chasing deer into caves before killing them is very useful for harvesting (better temps, no wind). Just don't miss.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

dont remember seeing anything about this here, so forgive if its old news...

did you know that you can always find some goodies under the cloth in the closet in Grey Mother's house at the top of the stairs?  usually I find rifle ammo and coffee behind the hanging blanket.  also there's a revolver round in the metal pail by the doorway most of the time

• Upvote 1
  • Like 4