base location ideas? ʕ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°ʔ (LIFE OR DEATH SITUATION HERE)

cranny

A̷̧̹͕͔̥̍̋͆͒͊̐̈́̂̀̕͜Ȳ̴̬̙̹͇̈̿͘̚Ọ̴̧̬͓̪͉̩͋̀̈̀̏͘̚

I've become slightly bored with wintermute and having to run around for jeremiah.(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

because of this, I've started a new voyager difficulty sanbox game.

now, I've had this game since 2016 (aaaaaa its changed so much since then) and, i have only played pilgrym runs, and i have played over 100 hours on this mode because i enjoy the beauty of the game and i am also a massive baby. I'm tired of those runs, now because they arent challenging in the slightest. currently, i am on day five on voyager, and things are getting quite 【S】 【P】 【I】 【C】 【Y】, if you know what i mean. much more 【S】 【P】 【I】 【C】 【Y】than any pilgrym run i've had. side note, i started in broken railroad and found a revolver in the trapper's cabin. Wolves have rushed at me on 4 seperate occasions, and i've somehow managed to miss shooting all wolves. ✧・゚: *✧・゚:*( ͡ꈍ ͜ʖ̫ ͡ꈍ )*:・゚✧*:・゚✧ i was attacked and horrified.

hence, i've been wanting to select a base to call home, so i can more easily craft the wolfskin coat, don't have to carry everything, keep my sanity, ect. currently i am in mystery lake, but i would love to go on a journy to find the perfect base if i have to.

Which building , in what region do you think i should call home?

download.jpg

Edited by cranny

Oi mate, still new to TLD ? ML, PV, CH  are good regions to settle down, why not FM if you feel brave enough ? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I though aussies where some adaptive folks, whelp... the one in the bush. Feel lucky it's not r/anime where fellow weebster point at each other X)

Practical reasons? The dam. It's in the middle of everything, has plenty of lockers, several workbenches. The only flaws is that the nearest bed is in the trailer across the gate and there's no easily accessible kitchen, so you may end up using campfires shielded by some junk in the front yard.

Beautiful places? Camp office, Mountaineer's hut in TWM, maybe the Paradise Meadows or Pleasant Valley farms?

@cranny
There really isn't a "best base..."
You could really set up just about anywhere.  Each spot as it's merits, and each spot has it's draw backs.

It all comes down to your playstyle and long term survival strategy.  Once you get adept at hunting, you never really need to go far for food regardless of your location.  You just need to find a place that has the features you are looking for...

If you like snaring rabbits, pick a spot near a warren (a.k.a. in this game - any spot you fairly consistently see rabbits hopping around).
If you like ice fishing, pick a spot near some ice fishing huts.

In general, there are a few features you might look for in any place you want to set up an encampment:
- A permanent bed. (so you don't have to constantly use a bedroll)
- A firebox, ideally one indoors. (the big difference compared to a campfire is that if they are found outdoors they are windproof and will not get blown out by weather)
- A workbench, ideally one indoors. (because staying warm while crafting is a good benefit)

At the end of the day, any place you can sleep and have access to fire (in some form or another) will work as a "base location."

Edited by ManicManiac

On 6/15/2019 at 7:55 AM, Doc Feral said:

Practical reasons? The dam. It's in the middle of everything, has plenty of lockers, several workbenches. The only flaws is that the nearest bed is in the trailer across the gate and there's no easily accessible kitchen, so you may end up using campfires shielded by some junk in the front yard.

On the occasions that I shoot a moose right by the Dam, I use the nearest cave in the Raven Falls Ravine transition zone as a kitchen.   Just make a ring of campfires around the perimeter of the cave, you can cook the whole moose in a couple hours.

For serious long-term sustainability, Coastal Highway is second to none.  Plenty of hunting and fishing, beachcombing to restock your supplies of finite items.  The one negative is there really is no place to set up a proper kitchen.  No structure has more than 2 cook surfaces, and there are no windproof caves to set up a ring of fire.  You just have to painstakingly cook 2 piece at a time until it is done, or take your chances with the wind.

• Upvote 1

I agree with @FrozenCorpseCamp office is the best base home . Snaring of rabbits nearby and fish huts on the lake. I like the cabin at the back of the lake as a sleeping place and there's a good cave along the lake for days to ward off cabin fever. I use the work bench there and you are central to the hydro dam and Forlorn Muskeg forge.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

On the occasions that I shoot a moose right by the Dam, I use the nearest cave in the Raven Falls Ravine transition zone as a kitchen.   Just make a ring of campfires around the perimeter of the cave, you can cook the whole moose in a couple hours.

For serious long-term sustainability, Coastal Highway is second to none.  Plenty of hunting and fishing, beachcombing to restock your supplies of finite items.  The one negative is there really is no place to set up a proper kitchen.  No structure has more than 2 cook surfaces, and there are no windproof caves to set up a ring of fire.  You just have to painstakingly cook 2 piece at a time until it is done, or take your chances with the wind.

Yes, the Raven Falls Ravine is a typical vacation spot of mine, to avoid cabin fever and hunt some deer in peace.

• Upvote 1

On 6/15/2019 at 10:25 PM, Doc Feral said:

Beautiful places? Camp office, Mountaineer's hut in TWM, maybe the Paradise Meadows or Pleasant Valley farms?

Thanks bro! I think i'll choose paradise meadows farm. :)

I'd say that whatever locations you've based at while playing another experience mode would work well. I don't actually play pilgrim, but from what I can remember while learning to play voyageur is that it's very important to learn to use ranged weapons and the skills that accompany them which are: stalking, positioning for a shot, controlling prey and predator behaviour using your weapons, spotting animals while you are outside of their detection range, etc.

So taking this into consideration, if you are using the rifle, starting at any location you've based at before will work well. But if your weapon of choice is the bow, I'd recommend the Hibernia area in DP. This allows you to forge arrowheads at the nearby Riken and craft arrows inside the processing facility. Katie's Secluded Corner has a guaranteed bow, arrow, and broken arrow if starting off early with a ranged weapon is important to you. Once you've forged a good lot of arrowheads (12 extra at your main base), then basing anywhere with a workbench wouldn't be a problem.

Ultimately, it depends on your play style. You've logged more than a hundred hours of play time already, so what I've said might already be irrelevant to you. If you die, don't worry, starting a new game is quite fun for most people and with each death you learn a thing or two.

1 hour ago, shade_grey said:

I'd say that whatever locations you've based at while playing another experience mode would work well. I don't actually play pilgrim, but from what I can remember while learning to play voyageur is that it's very important to learn to use ranged weapons and the skills that accompany them which are: stalking, positioning for a shot, controlling prey and predator behaviour using your weapons, spotting animals while you are outside of their detection range, etc.

So taking this into consideration, if you are using the rifle, starting at any location you've based at before will work well. But if your weapon of choice is the bow, I'd recommend the Hibernia area in DP. This allows you to forge arrowheads at the nearby Riken and craft arrows inside the processing facility. Katie's Secluded Corner has a guaranteed bow, arrow, and broken arrow if starting off early with a ranged weapon is important to you. Once you've forged a good lot of arrowheads (12 extra at your main base), then basing anywhere with a workbench wouldn't be a problem.

Ultimately, it depends on your play style. You've logged more than a hundred hours of play time already, so what I've said might already be irrelevant to you. If you die, don't worry, starting a new game is quite fun for most people and with each death you learn a thing or two.

Thanks bro! I started in Broken railroad, and actually found a revolver in the trapper's cabin in mystery lake. i have 80 rounds of ammo now >:)  Currently in the cave leading to milton through forlorn muskeg, I hope to settle down in paradise meadows farm. cheers!

My vote goes to the Camp Office in Mystery Lake if you're looking to set up a main, main base for the entire map.  I tend to set up 1 to 3 location in each area as bases (places where I know I have basic supplies).  The locations change though depending on where I find key resources since I try very hard to stay under my carry weight limit when I'm playing on anything but pilgrim mode, so I don't like schlepping a lot of gear around the map just to get it to one location.  You can make notes in your journal so you can remember where you've left key items.  As forges go, my favorite is actually the one in Broken Railroad (but the wolves are a real pain), so I often wind up forging at Spence's Farm.

If you don't mind climbing ropes to get in and out of the region, then Paradise Meadows Farm is a great location, IMO.  If you're inclined to want to bring a lot of gear to you main base, though, not so much... and the wolves running about the town are a big drawback.

2 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

Yes, but getting to it takes probably more time than going to the ravine cave, where you may even be able to light fires with the lens.

In addition, there are no electrical wires in the ravine that can suddenly become active during an aurora... making it hazardous sometimes to get back to a pot you've left cooking a little late into the night.  I usually wind up with a fire pit or two set up by the doors into the dam and another couple right in front of the trailer with the bed in it.  They can, of course, get blown out; but that's still better than dying of electrocution inside the dam.

Edited by UpUpAway95

2 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

Yes, but getting to it takes probably more time than going to the ravine cave, where you may even be able to light fires with the lens.

You haven't seen my fastest sprint time down to the barrel! 😝

I'll usually place a bedroll next to it so don't need to worry about wires or heading to the nearest bed.

19 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

My vote goes to the Camp Office in Mystery Lake if you're looking to set up a main, main base for the entire map.  I tend to set up 1 to 3 location in each area as bases (places where I know I have basic supplies).  The locations change though depending on where I find key resources since I try very hard to stay under my carry weight limit when I'm playing on anything but pilgrim mode, so I don't like schlepping a lot of gear around the map just to get it to one location.  You can make notes in your journal so you can remember where you've left key items.  As forges go, my favorite is actually the one in Broken Railroad (but the wolves are a real pain), so I often wind up forging at Spence's Farm.

If you don't mind climbing ropes to get in and out of the region, then Paradise Meadows Farm is a great location, IMO.  If you're inclined to want to bring a lot of gear to you main base, though, not so much... and the wolves running about the town are a big drawback.

Yeah, since posting this i've decided to go to paradise meadows, and have just arrived as i am typing this.

My vote depends on what you're doing.  So - if you're lucky there is a good house in Coastal Highway's Quonset Hut area - it has a porch, it has a fireplace, and its a little off set from the area.  Be warned, there are a lot of wolves in that area.  But its centrally located.  If you want something easy, where you don't have to crouch to leave the building - stay at Mystery Lake Office.  You have beds, fishing, lots of places to chill to avoid cabin fever and the wolves in the area stay away unless you're carrying meat or guts.  Another great place is the Fishing Camp in Coastal Highway, beds, close by fishing and an outdoor workbench.  BUT always crouch when leaving a building there.  Its square in a bear's walk path.

I've been spending a lot of my time on Timber Wolf Mountain recently... it really does have just about everything a survivor would need.  About the only thing it lacks is a nearby forge, but unless you are playing on interloper (or interloper-like custom settings) it's not really a big issue.  :)  

Edited by ManicManiac

The cave down in Milton Basin is a good spot to camp out for a while. My long run guy has spent at least a couple of months living out of that cave. It's a bit of a hike down the watercourse to FM to get to the worktable and forge at Spence's, but it's far from impossible and generally is an overnighter which is far from onerous.

Overall I find cave living to work a LOT better than living in buildings... the extra something something you get out of your wood when living and cooking outdoors is a huge advantage.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stratvox said:

Overall I find cave living to work a LOT better than living in buildings... the extra something something you get out of your wood when living and cooking outdoors is a huge advantage.

Do you feel that advantage is offset by not having a bed (wear & tear on the bedroll)?

10 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

Do you feel that advantage is offset by not having a bed (wear & tear on the bedroll)?

Well, it matters, but not that much really. Daily  usage of a bearskin bedroll gives you about six weeks of use before repairs really need to be done. By and large it should be totally possible once in the middle game to get that many bearskins coming in; often you can get a lot more than that many coming in. The thing that's really good is that it's easy to set yourself up with a permanent fire once you hit fire five; you only need about four or five fir logs to give you twelve hours of fire when you're burning outside. I think the longest running fire I had with my current guy was around 260 hours. This has several huge advantages, beginning with having long-running fires cuts down on the match consumption. Also, instant warmup; once you've got a fire going over the course of a full day or so it's at max temp and you're gonna get three bars warming up if you're within its range. I've generally found that at fire five you can keep a permafire going with an hour or three of wood gathering per day, depending on what you find and how far you have to carry it.

Note that I'm not suggesting a newly dropped survivor should try to dive immediately into cave living, but after you get your good clothing going on it has a lot of advantages.

Depends on where I'm at, I'm more of a nomadic player and I like to keep moving. But if I have to pick my favorite places to have a base camp, they'd be:

1. Camp Office - Mystery Lake. The camp office is a centralized location and you don't really have to go far for supplies, food and non-predatory animals (mostly deer) are plentiful around the lake and general vicinity.

2. Grey Mother's house - Milton/Mountain Town/Milton (Thanks Hadrian lol) Grey Mother's is a treasure trove of supplies, food, plus the whole town is also a treasure trove of stuff.

3. The Quonset - Coastal Highway. Like the camp office, the quonset is a centralized location(if you can get past the swarm of wolves that are usually in the area lol)

4. Hunter's Lodge - Broken Railroad. I like to call this location "My Castle" because look at the place, three whole floors of stuff lol! Hunting is also a viable option as you have plenty of wolves and sometimes a moose will be there as well. Plus you can climb down the rope and pick off the bear that wanders the area for extra meat.

5. The Farmstead - Pleasant Valley. Like the hunter's lodge and grey mother's house, it is also a treasure trove and like the camp office and the quonset, it is also a centralized location with a short-ish walk to Signal Hill which can possibly have some of the best items in the game(I have found the expedition parka and rifle with a couple boxes of ammo and rifle cartridges just hanging out on the floor)

Edited by PrincessAutumn
  • Upvote 1