#ResurrectFluffy

TheEldritchGod

Ladies... Gentlemen... Lend me your ears! (those of you who lost ears due to frostbite are exempt)

I come not to bury fluffy, but to raise her!

With the beginnings of story mode, Fluffy was removed from the Carter hydro dam. And lo' many a player did rejoice because fluffy was a serious kick ass bitch. But as time has gone on, the same players who rejoiced at the passing of fluffy, began to feel a twinge of regret. The heart pounding moments. The butt clenching fear. The long dark is an experience and in that experience there is both triumph and terror. Of heroic deeds of courage and daring, as well as defeat both horrifying and utter ignominy.

Fluffy wasn't just an encounter. She wasn't just a challenge. She was the heart. The SOUL of the long dark! Her presence was what the long dark was about. Long periods of exploration, punctuated by moments of sheer terror. The Fluffy of Carter Hydro Dam was the very microcosm that the game is about. Alas, there are players, such as myself, who will only be able to experience Fluffy on youtube and other old videos that captured the power and visage of this majestic beast.

So if you think... as I think...

If you FEEL... as I *feel*...

Then join me, and let our voices be heard. Let us cry out with one voice a simple meme! #ResurrectFluffy

Let us post it in the forums!

Let us post it on the Twitter!

Let our voices be heard and echo to the furthermost reaches of the internet and beyond with our nonsensical request to make an option in custom mode to bring back Fluffy! Or at the very least make a new difficulty called Deadman and put her in there, because lord knows there are some crazy masochistic bastards out there and I'm one of them. Seriously. We need a new difficulty. Let's crank this sucker up to 11. Bring on the PAIN!

That said, if you agree, post below and let's see if we can bring Fluffy back from the dead. Or at the very least talk about this as long as it brings a smile to our faces.

Doesn't the saying go that Fluffy just relocated to the comforts of the ice caves of Hushed River valley? 

I don't think the Fluffy is in the Carter´s anymore because of all the junk that is inside - clipping for an animal in there has to be a nightmare - the poor Fluffy would probably be unable to walk about freely. 

Makes more sense to have the wolves in the more open indoor areas - like caves. 

2 hours ago, k0s0ff said:

Maybe not?

I think this whole post a joke :D at least for the most part.
It would not be possible to add Fluffy back :D the way Carter dam looks right now, there is no room for wolf to move through there, unless she would be in the lower part of the dam - which would make her impossible to walk past - seeing as how she would be stuck in tight corridors of the plant.

On 11/17/2018 at 7:32 PM, Mroz4k said:

Doesn't the saying go that Fluffy just relocated to the comforts of the ice caves of Hushed River valley? 

I don't think the Fluffy is in the Carter´s anymore because of all the junk that is inside - clipping for an animal in there has to be a nightmare - the poor Fluffy would probably be unable to walk about freely. 

Makes more sense to have the wolves in the more open indoor areas - like caves. 

This. ^^^ 

the new Carter Dam interior made pathing for Fluffy an incredibly difficult to impossible task for the devs to code into the game. 

On 11/21/2018 at 4:48 AM, Mroz4k said:

I think this whole post a joke :D at least for the most part.
It would not be possible to add Fluffy back :D the way Carter dam looks right now, there is no room for wolf to move through there, unless she would be in the lower part of the dam - which would make her impossible to walk past - seeing as how she would be stuck in tight corridors of the plant.

Bingo. Again. ^^^

Fluffy being in her Ice cave is horrifying as it is, with Scruffy in his cave in Desolation Point. In Stalker, after dealing with and making it past the wolves right outside of the Dam, I sure as heck do NOT want to deal with Fluffy as soon as I go in to try to recover from any struggles that may have happened just outside. And the Dam already had its own danger now with the wires that can zappyzappyzappy killify you during an Aurora. Imagine those and being pinned in that area by Fluffy at the same time, with Fluffy now also being an Aurora wolf? I kinda thing the general outrage and screaming from much of the playerbase would be insane... the forums and social media feeds would be flooded with angry threads and posts. If you are playing vanilla, with or without custom settings, but with NO third party mods, the game has enough hazards as it is, for most of us. *ahem cough cough ahem*

On 11/17/2018 at 6:32 PM, Mroz4k said:

That region is very far away and sadly removes the coolness of the wolf getting stuck in a manmade shelter where you felt more safe. I guess its possible she could've migrated there given the range a wolf can cover.

I think that Ice Cave wolf should be called Frosty. We already have Scruffy in a cave so doesnt make it as unique as Fluffy's old place. Also, all that loot in the damn isn't guarded anymore and I remember her being a factor played in to whether you should take the long or short way to Pleasant Valley.

Sadly, there arent really any buildings large enough to take her in except the one in Desolation Point. As it stands, I like to believe fluffy got fried by a power cable during the aurora for now, and hope for a new region with a wolf inside a manmade interior to assume her mantle.

Occam's razor proves me wrong, but we need a manmade interior dwelling wolf somewhere. (No, the wolf in the barn during story mode doesnt count.)

I also miss reading people's first-time reactions to her in the forums. A lot would assume she was a bug but maybe if we had the player say some voice line in reaction to them it'd make it seem more intentional.

Frankly, I think Fluffy could still be in the Carter dam, but this time she would have to be confined to the top level - Fluffy was the most dangerous an animal when she wandered up to the first initial rooms of the dam after you entered it. I don't really like that location up there, to be honest - the dam nowadays looks too over-hoarded. I enjoyed when it was more of an open area. I have no issue with removing the things like the cable traps... but I do believe the first floor of the dam could look more like it used to, and the wolf could wander around there and in the corridor, leading into the big room. The biggest danger of Fluffy was that she would jump you and catch you off-guard soon after entering the building.

At least that is my opinion.

2 hours ago, Bimbobjoejr. said:

I have an idea:

What if we could TAME Fluffy to guide us through the dam if we give her at least 800 cals (venison for example) so she wouldn't be hostile towards or shed just follow us around. I understand if anyone thinks idea is dumb, but it's just a thought.

First we would have to tame her and bring her to the Dam from her new home in another region, not so close by. I have a feeling the long journey with her would not go so well... and she may not be thrilled about being dragged back to the Dam, where she had been trapped for so long, after she finally found her way out. Not that your idea is dumb, it's been suggested a few gazillion times  by people here and on the Steam forums. It's just... she hasn't lived in the Dam for quite a long time now. 

You go drag her back, and let the rest of know how that goes...  ;)

5c0766301fa1f_maxresdefault(2).thumb.jpg.ef442103c4e8981397e45ac7256a71ef.jpg

1 hour ago, Bimbobjoejr. said:

What if we don't have to bring fluffy to the dam, but bring her OUT. Like we find her in the dam, then we have to bring her OUT of the dam. She then will be thankful for it and help you out when needed. I don't know about this but, again, it's a thought

8 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

It's just... she hasn't lived in the Dam for quite a long time now. 

She was removed from the Dam some time ago, for reasons. I believe mainly because the Dam is now so crowded and cluttered, that she was not able to path through the new building design, without have major issues. There is a TON of stuff for her to collide with, get stuck on, or clip into. I really doubt Hinterland is going to revert Carter Hydro Dam back to how it used to be, just so they can put Fluffy back in there, no matter how much a few people want them to. it makes no sense. Especially since they had her "escape" and move to a new home, in an icy new spot. It isn't "simple", and to be honest, it makes no sense to do it, IMHO. None whatsoever. 

And wolves, animals in general, do not think like humans do, and feel indebted to us. They may d sow affection if they have bonded with us, but they are not "thankful".  We humans try to humanize every other living creature, so we can relate to them better, even some inanimate object. Wolves, dogs, cats, ect... do not think the way we do. We just like to think that they do.  My 3 legged dog does not go nuts and greet me with wild abandon at the door when I come home because she is thankful and indebted to me for rescuing here from a shelter. She greets me that way because she remembers that I=food. And she wants food. And will accept belly rubs while the food is being gotten. Lol! Stop making Fluffy into a rational, not-Aurora/starvation/madness crazed wild animal. The game is fiction, but that goes wayyyyyyy to far into fiction, and breaks the semi-realistic nature of the game.

Fluffy will never be our newspaper fetching pet. And never should be.

13 minutes ago, Bimbobjoejr. said:

I was mostly joking, jeez

Really? You did not say "just kidding...", "Joking!", "j/k", or give any indication that you were making joke posts. These seem very much like real suggestions, albeit not such well thought out ones:

19 hours ago, Bimbobjoejr. said:

I have an idea:

What if we could TAME Fluffy to guide us through the dam if we give her at least 800 cals (venison for example) so she wouldn't be hostile towards or shed just follow us around. I understand if anyone thinks idea is dumb, but it's just a thought.

9 hours ago, Bimbobjoejr. said:

What if we don't have to bring fluffy to the dam, but bring her OUT. Like we find her in the dam, then we have to bring her OUT of the dam. She then will be thankful for it and help you out when needed. I don't know about this but, again, it's a thought

Jeez.  I don't know about Jeez, but it's a thought... :)

How about this: On Stalker and Interloper, every time you go to sleep, you have a 1 in 1000 chance of invoking the spirit of Fluffy.  Wherever you are--indoors, outdoors, on a ledge by a rope climb, doesn't matter--any time you sleep you have a 1 in 1000 chance of being awakened by a wolf attack.  Except the wolf is pink.  And fluffy.  And doesn't actually do any damage.

Because it's just your character suffering from a nightmare and waking up early.

I would like to mention that my support of the #RessurectFluffy movement is a vocal cry of nostalgia for a quirky (and frightening) game feature that killed me often I loved, rather than a actual request that the code that put Fluffy in the Dam be uncommented; I realize this is impractical with the new Dam.

Archived