News on the Upcoming December Update to The Long Dark

Admin

12 hours ago, Fuarian said:

Except here's the thing, knowledge IS a resource. The game relies around it. Without knowledge of the surrounding areas, survival and other things like the potential wherabouts of Astrid, the story can't advance. Sure there are other ways to accomplish this other than fetch quests. Maybe if fetch quests were reliant on the actual resources to help the NPC asking for them rather than fetching an unimportant item *lockbox* or fetching items that won't benefit you or the NPC *survival school*. 

My wording was terrible, Apologies, for clarification i wasnt saying we shouldnt talk to Grey Mother and get supplies for her for information. I found that it was justified. I wasnt dissing fetch quests or getting information from the two npcs. I totally agree with your reply.

The only quest i didnt think needed to be required was survival school. However, even in that case, Will needed to know what plants were medicinal or not and how to use them as a characyer development and survival tool. But the story could progress without that knowlege further down the line unless it acts as a story element where Will nurses the doctor back to health or in an ironic twist. If that were to happen or similar, then survival school would totally make sense being a "required" quest.

I didnt think the story was boring at all, quotations were around it earlier to imply thats what some of the community thought about it. Fix my rifle quest was a fetch quest, but it worked fine,  the reason is due to story relevance, and meaningful action. One could say Will also "fetched" the bear's ear, or medical supplies for jeremiah, but theyre not complained about.

Again, sorry about the bad wording, i tend to play devil's advocate a lot and challege my own points and it can lead to an unfocused statement that can be interpreted different ways. 

4 hours ago, RossBondReturns said:

Raphael mentions it in a response to a question on his twitter feed.

He essentially implies it's directly related to the moose...which can mercilessly trample you.

So I'm assuming bruised ribs...or something.

Maybe a concussion, a hoof to the head can definitely cause one or worse.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

My wording was terrible, Apologies, for clarification i wasnt saying we shouldnt talk to Grey Mother and get supplies for her for information. I found that it was justified. I wasnt dissing fetch quests or getting information from the two npcs. I totally agree with your reply.

The only quest i didnt think needed to be required was survival school. However, even in that case, Will needed to know what plants were medicinal or not and how to use them as a characyer development and survival tool. But the story could progress without that knowlege further down the line unless it acts as a story element where Will nurses the doctor back to health or in an ironic twist. If that were to happen or similar, then survival school would totally make sense being a "required" quest.

I didnt think the story was boring at all, quotations were around it earlier to imply thats what some of the community thought about it. Fix my rifle quest was a fetch quest, but it worked fine,  the reason is due to story relevance, and meaningful action. One could say Will also "fetched" the bear's ear, or medical supplies for jeremiah, but theyre not complained about.

Again, sorry about the bad wording, i tend to play devil's advocate a lot and challege my own points and it can lead to an unfocused statement that can be interpreted different ways. 

I don't think so either, it should've been an optional main quest if that makes any sense.

14 hours ago, Karl Grylls said:

Did he tell us about new textures? Did i miss something? Maybe he wrote a second note i didn't see?

Where do you see a new affliction?

There are a bunch of new assets being added to the regions to make them look a little better.

14 hours ago, RossBondReturns said:

Raphael mentions it in a response to a question on his twitter feed.

He essentially implies it's directly related to the moose...which can mercilessly trample you.

So I'm assuming bruised ribs...or something.

Ah, very nice, thank you! :D
I'm looking forward to see new and better textures!

21 hours ago, Hawk said:

If I'm not mistaken, you're a GOG buyer. Might be a good idea to not get your hopes up about this update. -_-

Haha yes I see why you would think this. I'm a backer who took the opportunity to switch from the Steam release to the GOG release as the DRM free version was part of the initial project goals. I do however trust Hinterland to deliver, even if it's delayed.
I just hope the communication about these releases will be better in the near future, instead of communicating progress which isn't happening in the first place. :)

Let the waiting game begin. :P

Edited by Blinkin
  • Upvote 1

On 11/23/2017 at 3:42 PM, cekivi said:

You might not need to. The number of save slots are expanding after all. 

True, but at this point some of them are like reading stories I wrote years ago... old and slighly tatty around the edges with decisions that make no sense now. :D

On ‎24‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 0:21 AM, Karl Grylls said:

Did he tell us about new textures? Did i miss something? Maybe he wrote a second note i didn't see?

Where do you see a new affliction?

I quote the steam dev diary :

"We’re excited to hear your stories about Moose encounters once we roll it out into Survival Mode. This is the first new animal we’ve been able to add to the game in quite a while, and it shares characteristics of both the Deer and the Bear, so...it makes for a pretty interesting creature. We have a new Affliction and a couple of new craftable Gear Items associated with the Moose, so on the whole this should add some interesting depth to your Survival Mode experience.

We have some other fun updates to Survival Mode coming in December, but I’d like to talk about a couple of things we’re doing for Story Mode in the December update."

On 11/23/2017 at 8:01 AM, admin said:

Mooseface1.thumb.jpg.e8639442103e4656b8730beb167439e2.jpg

This guy does not look happy to see you.

Yay! Prey animal that isn't completely helpless. Hunting pre-cooking lvl 5 is already starting to get repetitive.

On 11/23/2017 at 8:01 AM, admin said:

TheLongDark_MooseSign.thumb.jpg.1c4cf847dc527282e0c90a37f4add2b5.jpg

Keep your eyes for these scratches on the tree bark; this might indicate Moose are in the area!

Nice! Small addition but adds a lot to the current, very limited, tracking mechanics. Seems to be perfect for finding such an elusive animal.

But what's really making me itch are the interactions between the moose and other wildlife. Too bad Imma have to wait till December to scratch it. :S

There's also the issue of how an additional animal will affect the current crafting system. I don't know how to speculate on this. Headgear would be good. A hat perhaps? A coif, or maybe a scarf? Moose also have huge antlers. A lot of wasted material if it couldn't be harvested and used.

• Upvote 4

On 23/11/2017 at 4:01 AM, admin said:

And to be 100% clear — WE HAVE NOT CHANGED THE WAY SAVES WORK IN SURVIVAL MODE (or the Challenges). Both are still permadeath experiences.

Hello I am looking to this update to return to TLD :)

However I would like a clarification : are the save files still deleted at death for sandbox mode ?

Edited by Athoen

New craftable gear from the moose.

Not sure what that might be however , I'm kinda hopeful for arrowheads and maybe a  crude knife  from the antlers.

I would love this for interloper ( maybe not the knife but definatley  the arrow heads)

And please add a craftable piece of headgear (moose related/ not) 

5 hours ago, Athoen said:

Hello I am looking to this update to return to TLD :)

However I would like a clarification : are the save files still deleted at death for sandbox mode ?

Sandbox is now called "Survival Mode".  I think a lot of people had time to kill while Story Mode was in triage so a lot of things got cosmetic changes.  The name of the sandbox was one.  But it is still the same permadeath and should remain so.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, selfless said:

Sandbox is now called "Survival Mode".  I think a lot of people had time to kill while Story Mode was in triage so a lot of things got cosmetic changes.  The name of the sandbox was one.  But it is still the same permadeath and should remain so.

Hello

Thanks for the reply but I disagree :)

I am okay for permadeath in challenges and in interlopper, but I doo not see why it is imposed upon the player in a more contemplative experience.

So IMO, permadeath should be removed from pilgrim/voyageur (stalker ? less sure about it).

3 hours ago, Athoen said:

Hello

Thanks for the reply but I disagree :)

I am okay for permadeath in challenges and in interlopper, but I doo not see why it is imposed upon the player in a more contemplative experience.

So IMO, permadeath should be removed from pilgrim/voyageur (stalker ? less sure about it).

Pilgrim I may be able to agree on, but I don't see how Voyageur, (and definitely not Stalker) could possibly not be perma-death game modes. Voyageur is easy enough after a few times going through it, that I don't see how it would benefit the learning steps of a new player to not have them die a few times to get their feet wet and have that teach them how to avoid having it happen in the future. That's how a player like me has come to enjoy interloper(though I hate the amount of wolves in stalker, and therefore avoid it). Although when I first started, Voyageur I thought was fairly difficult to survive more than a few weeks before I made a mistake and got eaten or froze to death. But experiencing those deaths taught me new things each time I played until I graduated to surviving months in Voyageur, and then on to tackling Interloper, and now I'm on to about a month so far on Interloper on my best run, and I think it will only come in time for me to survive a few months(if I'm lucky) in that mode! :)

Edited by Darkestnight
  • Upvote 4