December 2023 Dev Diary

Admin

11 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

*geek mode engaged* I believe so… to me it looks like “In Tenebris”, which roughly translates to “In [the] Darkness.”

But I’m really not sure, that fourth letter could just as easily be a “T” and the last few are just completely blurry, to my eyes at least.

Oh wow, great geeking @conanjaguar!
giphy.gif.d5f2add0b8d91ce50abcb63f45b68f7c.gif

• Upvote 2

But WHY with the deceptive title!? Now I can't tell if it's gonna be a happy ending or a depressing sad one LOL The "light at the end" has so many meanings! Why must you torture me LOL

Edited by ElleJoy
Because I can't spell
  • Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Yjorgen said:

Late 2024? That's a three year gap between episodes and that's if we're honestly supposed to believe there aren't going to be any extra delays.

This old complaint again? Do people really not comprehend that Hinterland is a SMALL company, doing everything themselves? Three years is a decent amount of time for the amount of work they put into the story pieces - not to mention this is probably going to be a longer, more involved section, considering all they have to wrap up.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, ElleJoy said:

But WHY with the deceptive title!? Now I can't tell if it's gonna be a happy ending or a depressing sad one LOL The "light at the end" has so many meanings! Why must you torture me LOL

Must admit I wondered why the title and the old boat .... Maybe the afterlife🥺

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Must admit I wondered why the title and the old boat .... Maybe the afterlife🥺

But it's not just an old boat, is it? It's an old sailboat, rejigged to run on steam at some point, and more recently upgraded with whatever those pylon-looking outriggers are. Looks to me like it just might be the perfect vessel for this new world. They could even sail off somewhere warm!  ^_^

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, artmunki said:

But it's not just an old boat, is it? It's an old sailboat, rejigged to run on steam at some point, and more recently upgraded with whatever those pylon-looking outriggers are. Looks to me like it just might be the perfect vessel for this new world. They could even sail off somewhere warm!  ^_^

My eyesight isn't what it used to be,, so I can't tell what's new or isn't... 😁 

But as I said on my thread a long time ago,I hope they survive and stay together to rebuild the island.. looking at that boat though puts a big question mark on my wish ...   It's be nice if they did sail away to somewhere warm...   Not too warm though   that's a whole new problem lol....maybe even a tld2  in the desert..😁

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, artmunki said:

They could even sail off somewhere warm!  ^_^

...what makes you think that there is anywhere that's warm?  Rudiger's machine probably threw the world off axis and into an elliptical orbit and we are now in a perpetual ice age.  Probably the only thing that has kept the oceans from freezing over is the waters salinity!  But this does open the doors for TLD II

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

My eyesight isn't what it used to be,, so I can't tell what's new or isn't... 😁 

But as I said on my thread a long time ago,I hope they survive and stay together to rebuild the island.. looking at that boat though puts a big question mark on my wish ...   It's be nice if they did sail away to somewhere warm...   Not too warm though   that's a whole new problem lol....maybe even a tld2  in the desert..😁

Remember that the Survival game is set a few years after Wintermute, and there doesn't seem to be anyone else left alive on the island. That ship's big enough to get a fair few people off - certainly everyone we've met in Wintermute so far, and then some (ok, maybe not Mathis) - so it doesn't seem like there's been too much rebuilding. I'm guessing that the close of Wintermute will see the end of Will and Astrid's story on Great Bear, along with everyone else who escapes with them, and any future TLD stories will have a new cast. Just my guess tho, obviously.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, artmunki said:

Remember that the Survival game is set a few years after Wintermute, and there doesn't seem to be anyone else left alive on the island. That ship's big enough to get a fair few people off - certainly everyone we've met in Wintermute so far, and then some (ok, maybe not Mathis) - so it doesn't seem like there's been too much rebuilding. I'm guessing that the close of Wintermute will see the end of Will and Astrid's story on Great Bear, along with everyone else who escapes with them, and any future TLD stories will have a new cast. Just my guess tho, obviously.

I keep forgetting the time difference between the two... ..going by the title it's definitely the end for something.....fingers crossed its just that story and nothing else...except Mathis😁

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

...what makes you think that there is anywhere that's warm?  Rudiger's machine probably threw the world off axis and into an elliptical orbit and we are now in a perpetual ice age.  Probably the only thing that has kept the oceans from freezing over is the waters salinity!  But this does open the doors for TLD II

Well, technically speaking the world is already off axis and in an elliptical orbit, and the entire history of human civilization - right up to present day - has happened in an ice age. But we know there's still open water as far north as the Vancouver coast, so there's no way, realistically speaking, that we're talking a Snowball Earth situation, which is the only way there might be nowhere warm. The device may have somehow screwed with the climate, messed up the seasons, possibly somehow tweaked the earth's magnetic field a bit so the auroras are more active and impactful, but I can't really see this story going full-on science-fantasy with it actually impacting our procession round the sun. That just doesn't seem as grounded as what we've seen thus far.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I keep forgetting the time difference between the two... ..going by the title it's definitely the end for something.....fingers crossed its just that story and nothing else...except Mathis😁

Mathis's son may well have survived the explosive end of the Penitentiary, and he's even worse than Mathis, so we're told ...

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, artmunki said:

Mathis's son may well have survived the explosive end of the Penitentiary, and he's even worse than Mathis, so we're told ...

I hope not... To be honest if episode 5 is just Mathis chasing Will around I'll probably not play it..  unless Molly snipers him early on lol

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I hope not... To be honest if episode 5 is just Mathis chasing Will around I'll probably not play it..  unless Molly snipers him early on lol

I just kinda thought that the whole setup for Donner being this dangerous psycho, then we never even caught sight of him, felt a little ... Chekov's Gun-ish, especially in the runup to the endgame for Wintermute. I can't actually remember whether or not we know if Mathis survived the Pen, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Donner - possibly with his dad - appeared as the main antagonists for Will, Astrid and everyone in PM for the last chapter. I mean, if they're still alive, they're gonna want to get off the island too, right?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, artmunki said:

I just kinda thought that the whole setup for Donner being this dangerous psycho, then we never even caught sight of him, felt a little ... Chekov's Gun-ish, especially in the runup to the endgame for Wintermute. I can't actually remember whether or not we know if Mathis survived the Pen, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Donner - possibly with his dad - appeared as the main antagonists for Will, Astrid and everyone in PM for the last chapter. I mean, if they're still alive, they're gonna want to get off the island too, right?

If he survived that then I imagine he'll be in pretty bad shape..... I Could see Mathis going after Astrid to get her to treat him..

It's anyone's guess what's going to happen though...except Ralph's and he's not telling.....😁

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Leeanda said:

If he survived that then I imagine he'll be in pretty bad shape..... I Could see Mathis going after Astrid to get her to treat him..

It's anyone's guess what's going to happen though...except Ralph's and he's not telling.....😁

Guess we'll just have to wait & see!  ^_^

• Upvote 1

On 12/20/2023 at 12:05 PM, Admin said:

tld-december-dev-diary-forum-desktop.thumb.jpg.887329680b6b41936aa6d0cdd50d99a8.jpg

We haven’t had much news to share about the Switch version of TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY to date. I want to assure you that the team is working on this, and our current goal is to release it — with Parts One to Four, and all the free updates included with those Parts — by the end of April 2024. After that, Parts Five and Six of TALES will likely trail the other platforms by up to a month, based on the 4-week minimum certification time required by Nintendo. We’ll share more details about how that’s going some time in February.

image.gif.c29a0a91d1670658cc7f0a6f548e64d3.gif
  • Upvote 2

the boat's name is "IN TENEBRIS" meaning "in the dark" in english. There is also a poem by Thomas Hardy:

Wintertime nighs;
But my bereavement-pain
It cannot bring again:
Twice no one dies.

Flower-petals flee;
But, since it once hath been,
No more that severing scene
Can harrow me.

Birds faint in dread:
I shall not lose old strength
In the lone frost's black length:
Strength long since fled!

Leaves freeze to dun;
But friends can not turn cold
This season as of old
For him with none.

Tempests may scath;
But love can not make smart
Again this year his heart
Who no heart hath.

Black is night's cope;
But death will not appal
One who, past doubtings all,
Waits in unhope.

I think the ship is powered by the wire nets, collecting the static electric from the sea similar to Glimmer Fog we see in the new regions. It might power up an electrical engine that helps the ship move in times with no wind or wind with no correct position.

• Upvote 4

• 3 weeks later...

There are 2 bugs in a game I just started.
1. If you buy Barb's rifle in the Quonset garage, it spawns a rifle every day.
2. Vaughn's rifle was destroyed by a bear attack on Timberwolf Mountain. I killed the bear immediately after the attack, but the rifle is missing.
I don't know if these are known errors. Maybe it will interest the producers.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, PilgrimReaper said:

Here's hoping for a March Dev Diary...

Yeah, really hoping we get more info this month, it would track with previous years.

Strangely the SteamDB builds of TLD haven't been updated in 8 days, when they get updated multiple times a day (excluding the weekends).

• Upvote 1