How do you all like to hunt bears?

5 hours ago, LumiStylesTTV said:

If I see the bear or know it's an area where they typically are I will crouch down with my rifle and slowly ease myself into a position to take a head shot. If I don't manage that but wound it, I'll start tracking it from a safe distance.

When im not rage shooting them, i.e. i see them coming, I shoot it from as far away as possible, so it just gets scared if I dont get lucky with an insta kill. Down side is i lise well over half to “ran into the woods and disappeared”

• 4 weeks later...

The circling method is neat (never tried it though).

I usually just chill in a spot, watching the bear and waiting for it to come towards me.  I try to distract/scare it in my favor my chucking stones.  Once it's close enough I'll use my bow preferably, or rifle secondary to try and hit the neck or head.

If it gets the jump on me though I shoot twice and get mauled.  Try to run, but, you know, bears are fast.

I try at maximum to avoid them, as wolves. if not possible, I find a spot where it can't reach me and try the headshot. cars are a good spot too, I shoot and I wait in the car.  the flare gun seems good to avoid danger when there is some blizzard.

they are slow so at distance we can managed them. if I'm surprised by one, I'm always mauled.

• Upvote 1

Shoot 'em in the butt with a single round from a revolver then hide in a car until they lose aggro. Let them bleed out and die wherever they fall. Not generally worth the trouble of locating the carcass unless I'm after something specific. Just cap 'em, move on.

42 minutes ago, chrislacruz said:

I just wait for it to charge and shoot it with the Flare gun about 1 second before impact, works about 9/10 times, and if I miss it still runs from the flare 

If only we could use the ammo bench to reload empty flare shells.

• Upvote 1

Just now, hozz1235 said:

I don't think I've ever used a flare gun to hunt a bear.  Good 'ol trusty bow here.

Maybe not a good idea unless it's pilgrim..   you can just creep up right behind them and shoot them in the rear,it works most if not every time...  

I'm not good with the bow, except with the bunnies.. 

• 4 weeks later...

In my experience bears don't act the same way on passive...  They have three reactions to being shot at..

Run away, instant run at you with no rearing or roaring, and standing still looking at you..  not sure if that last one is intended or not though.. 

6 hours ago, odizzido said:

Bears have a set and completely predictable path. What I did when I tried survival mode was just get set up spending my time in a place where the bear paths. Choose a spot where you can safely shoot it and it will just wander to you, no need to hunt it.

I have noticed that bears will change their routes on occasion.  My long term  bases include the Fishing Huts in Coastal Highway and Crystal Lake in TWM. Generally, but not always, the bears pass by the respective fishing huts at those two locations. Pull in the bear, shoot and harvest. 

Sometimes I wait 15-16 days (on Voyageur) for the respawned bear to resume that same route but the bear is nowhere to be found. Seemingly it changes its route but will eventually, say after 30 days, resume its old path.

Edited by Blizzard Walker
spelling

On 8/26/2023 at 8:34 PM, Just some guy being a dude said:

I know this would be better as a poll but I’m not smart enough to figure out how to start one.

generally there’s 4 ways I’ve seen people hunt bears if you don’t do any of these do tell how you go about hunting them

1.shoot it once then hide in a car and wait for it to bleed out 

2.climb on a really tall rock/fallen tree and shoot it a bunch 

3.run circles around it like a absolute madman and shoot when you can 

4.get surprised by it shoot it once then get mauled and find its body an hour later (me) 

I go with #2 although I most of the time only need one shot, two after tales 3 changes, the same can be applied to moose there’s always a safe high ground that you are either completely protected or can jump off to break their attack charge, I’ve never had broken ribs knock on wood lol

5. get scared by a sudden roar, take out your bow and run XD

By the way, I remember the first time I killed him, when the maximum difficulty level was still stalker. I found guns on the estate and when the bear came out, I shoot, I run in, I shoot, I run inside)) well, I didn’t just kill the bear

According to BladesCJ's video, I'm a classic sniper.  Long single shot, run and hide someplace without going through a loading screen, light a fire and wait until my journal says he's bled out.  Use crows to find the carcasses (and having a general knowledge of his patrol area helps as well).