How do you all like to hunt bears?

27 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

That bears in a really awkward place... I wonder if it can climb over those logs..  I've never seen anything on them until yesterday when a wolf ran into one and died .   

If it was the fire,I wonder why it didn't avoid it before it saw you...  

It's a dangerous location. I dig it. Bear, moose, bear, moose, bear. All those spawns in line. So much death waiting for you to get complacent with.

I don't think it can when charging or it would have climbed over them at the start. I also think the single log and rock on the ground messed with the charge pathing since it basically stops to turn. 

I think I was too far away from the fire for it to bother him or I wasn't on the same vertical plane as the fire so it didn't register that it should stop. We hadn't fully engaged yet so as far as the bear was concerned, there wasn't any fire. It's like if you move to far from a fire, the bear will charge right through it. 

4 minutes ago, FaT McMarlin said:

It's a dangerous location. I dig it. Bear, moose, bear, moose, bear. All those spawns in line. So much death waiting for you to get complacent with.

I don't think it can when charging or it would have climbed over them at the start. I also think the single log and rock on the ground messed with the charge pathing since it basically stops to turn. 

I think I was too far away from the fire for it to bother him or I wasn't on the same vertical plane as the fire so it didn't register that it should stop. We hadn't fully engaged yet so as far as the bear was concerned, there wasn't any fire. It's like if you move to far from a fire, the bear will charge right through it. 

Honestly I don't have much experience with bears..coward that I am. Lol..  the ones I see are usually on tube and they're head on attacks. 

3 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Honestly I don't have much experience with bears..coward that I am. Lol..  the ones I see are usually on tube and they're head on attacks. 

Surprise bears usually just run at you head on. It's rare that I have bear encounters like that one though. Probably done that dance 5 or 6 times successfully now, close to 20 fails lol, mostly Voyager. I wouldn't recommend it, but it's a good skill to have for emergencies. Timing the shot is the hardest part to learn. 

10 minutes ago, FaT McMarlin said:

Surprise bears usually just run at you head on. It's rare that I have bear encounters like that one though. Probably done that dance 5 or 6 times successfully now, close to 20 fails lol, mostly Voyager. I wouldn't recommend it, but it's a good skill to have for emergencies. Timing the shot is the hardest part to learn. 

I'd be happy if they just gave themselves concussion so I could escape 😁

I am pretty cowardly when it comes to bears! Both my previous 'main' runs (the only runs over 200 days) were ended by bear attacks. Yesterday in my current 'main' run (101 days) I had a good opportunity to shoot a bear so I did - right in the belly while it was reared up - but I was too scared to do anything but wait for it to bleed out.

I need to create a Voyageur file just for bear hunting practice, to get the fear off me.

• Upvote 3

I usually blunder into the bear. Been playing this game for like 7 years and the big b#$&*@ still get me by surprise. I will usually shoot it. Then get mauled. Then rage shoot it. Maybe i get 2 shots off, maybe just one. Maybe I get mauled again. Then, well, hardheaded bayou girl I am, I shoot it again, this time with extra profanity. This will go on until one of us runs out of blood. Then I spend the next 9 days healing and repairing the bear damage, and eating it. 

If I get the opportunity to shoot the bear from ambush, I get up on a tree usually or a rock or a doorway and shoot it until it stops being a bear and starts being Tiff chow.

Never said I was smarter than your average bear. But I may be harder headed😁

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TiffTastic said:

I usually blunder into the bear. Been playing this game for like 7 years and the big b#$&*@ still get me by surprise. I will usually shoot it. Then get mauled. Then rage shoot it. Maybe i get 2 shots off, maybe just one. Maybe I get mauled again. Then, well, hardheaded bayou girl I am, I shoot it again, this time with extra profanity. This will go on until one of us runs out of blood. Then I spend the next 9 days healing and repairing the bear damage, and eating it. 

If I get the opportunity to shoot the bear from ambush, I get up on a tree usually or a rock or a doorway and shoot it until it stops being a bear and starts being Tiff chow.

Never said I was smarter than your average bear. But I may be harder headed😁

Lol B8DEFEA4-4790-476B-BA15-601DC6DDDAC7.jpeg.ddd7957f877f740439dc738274cc453f.jpeg.4565d188b7210b1a8ccba524e419a57f.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TiffTastic said:

Great minds think alike. When it comes to bears, I do not wake up and choose violence. I choose how much violence lol.

All the violence is my choice. Things die quickly though, so the violence is always short lived. I killed the moose by the landing gear in Timber Wolf Mountain the other day. Single shot dropped it before the moose had a clue it was being hunted.

• Upvote 2

Currently playing in voyager, if possible I attract the bear as lure to a nearby cave so I can easily get its meat after killing it. 
I look for a rock in the cave that the bear can't reach, climbing is sometimes possible, I also usually light a campfire inside the cave to shoot it when it stops, although sometimes I can't get on the rock and it catches me. If the cave does not have these rocks I also use a fallen tree trunk to protect myself when shooting.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, javijungle said:

Currently playing in voyager, if possible I attract the bear as lure to a nearby cave so I can easily get its meat after killing it. 
I look for a rock in the cave that the bear can't reach, climbing is sometimes possible, I also usually light a campfire inside the cave to shoot it when it stops, although sometimes I can't get on the rock and it catches me. If the cave does not have these rocks I also use a fallen tree trunk to protect myself when shooting.

You'd be surprised what a bear can climb. From my experience, if you can get there, so can the bears. Does take them allot longer to figure the pathing out.

Not the hardest path to follow, but here a pretty good example of the bears pathing up rocks pretty fast. 

https://www.xbox.com/play/media/FAD7G8DVCG

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, FaT McMarlin said:

All the violence is my choice. Things die quickly though, so the violence is always short lived. I killed the moose by the landing gear in Timber Wolf Mountain the other day. Single shot dropped it before the moose had a clue it was being hunted.

Nice! I generally get the moose, its the dang bears that always roll me…

I’m a little surprised that people aren’t discussing the fire method. 
It’s what I do most of the time. 
Build a fire in the path of the bear, then shoot it when it gets closer. 
it’ll either charge or run (if badly wounded). If it charges, it will stop and sort of crouch before the fire, giving you lots of time to aim for the eyes. One more well-placed shot usually does it and down he goes. If not, it will run. If you’re fast, you can pop him again as he runs away and he will either die or turn around. You have to get behind the fire from him quick, and he doesn’t usually stop. So it can be a bit of a circus when that happens. 

most of the time the bear dies well before this.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

I know this is about bears, but I’ve also found that when playing Stalker, and using a rifle, I can chain the shots to kill the moose. First one he bawls and then charges. Second one he bawls and runs off. Third one he charges again. Fourth he collapses. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bean said:

I’m a little surprised that people aren’t discussing the fire method. 
It’s what I do most of the time. 
Build a fire in the path of the bear, then shoot it when it gets closer. 
it’ll either charge or run (if badly wounded). If it charges, it will stop and sort of crouch before the fire, giving you lots of time to aim for the eyes. One more well-placed shot usually does it and down he goes. If not, it will run. If you’re fast, you can pop him again as he runs away and he will either die or turn around. You have to get behind the fire from him quick, and he doesn’t usually stop. So it can be a bit of a circus when that happens. 

most of the time the bear dies well before this.

Gotta try this. Combines fire with violence. Perfection. 

5 hours ago, TiffTastic said:

Nice! I generally get the moose, its the dang bears that always roll me…

I don't normally hunt the moose. I generally stick to bears but I needed the hide for a satchel. Plunging shots from the bow are op.

I like to pick on the bears. I'll camp their caves and wait if the weather's nice enough. I like picking on the timber wolves more. If I spawn in Black Rock and I have the heat and condition to spare as I'm exciting to Timber Wolf Mountain, I'll trigger a swarm and just throw rocks at them for giggles. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, FaT McMarlin said:

I don't normally hunt the moose. I generally stick to bears but I needed the hide for a satchel. Plunging shots from the bow are op.

I like to pick on the bears. I'll camp their caves and wait if the weather's nice enough. I like picking on the timber wolves more. If I spawn in Black Rock and I have the heat and condition to spare as I'm exciting to Timber Wolf Mountain, I'll trigger a swarm and just throw rocks at them for giggles. 

Now wolves are a different story. They are prey….

On 9/26/2023 at 5:56 AM, FaT McMarlin said:

You'd be surprised what a bear can climb. From my experience, if you can get there, so can the bears. Does take them allot longer to figure the pathing out.

Not the hardest path to follow, but here a pretty good example of the bears pathing up rocks pretty fast. 

https://www.xbox.com/play/media/FAD7G8DVCG

Yeah, I was kind of surprised by the "climb a rock in a cave and shoot it" approach - I'd like to see how that works.  I stick by my tried and true method of either:

• Climbing out on a small branch of a fallen tree (since an update, the bear could reach you on the main trunk)
  • Pick the top of a short drop to an inaccessible ledge and drop down if the bear charges