How do you all like to hunt bears?

I know this would be better as a poll but I’m not smart enough to figure out how to start one.

generally there’s 4 ways I’ve seen people hunt bears if you don’t do any of these do tell how you go about hunting them

1.shoot it once then hide in a car and wait for it to bleed out 

2.climb on a really tall rock/fallen tree and shoot it a bunch 

3.run circles around it like a absolute madman and shoot when you can 

4.get surprised by it shoot it once then get mauled and find its body an hour later (me) 

• Upvote 7

lol, 4th one isn't much of a choice, is it xD

I'm on Interloper so I hunt with a bow. I do 1 or 2, but I usually shoot him just once anyway. Once I get to level 5 archery I just shoot them from a distance they can't detect me by positioning the aim 1-2 cm above the head. Sometimes I am lucky to kill with one shot 

I saw people do 3 but god no XD Also I've got so many heavy clothes on I can't ran much 

• Upvote 1

My first bear hunting practice was Trapper’s Cabin and I went on the ledge outside the cabin, threw rocks to get the bear’s attention, then shot the dude in the face. 

Now I’ve graduated, and I usually use a single arrow from a distance, wait a day, or go gather fuel for the bbq if I’m not stocked, and then do a search and recovery. 

Edited by Chaos Theory
Typo
  • Upvote 1

I let the bear come to me. There are at least 3 places that a bear comes right to a protected dwelling or close enough that I can run and hide if my shot doesn't kill it. On TWM, I go onto the ledge to the right of the hut, shoot the bear when it turns right, towards the fishing hut, and then haul butt back to the cabin. At trapper's, I do like Chaos does, go on the ledge and when he gets in range shoot and run. Finally, in BI I step out on the Construction Worker's porch when the bear comes up  off the ice and shoot him from the porch. I don't "think" the bear can come on the porch, but I usually run inside if I don't one shot drop him. I've also shot the bear from the cliff above the stream that feeds down into Crystal Lake, though that can be dangerous if you simply wound him. In that case, I take the other route down and back to the Mountaineer's Hut. Also, I have shot a bear several times on the ice, using the fishing hut as a safe haven. This can be dangerous if the hut is not stocked with wood...so try to stock any I use regularly that are in a bear area.

Oh yeah, from the porch of PV Farmhouse is another safe place to take a bear.

Edited by TonyInPleasantValley
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

@Just some guy being a dude

I don't know that it would make a good poll.  There are so many different ways to go about a hunt.
===================
But now back to the question at hand:

Under most circumstances, I like to hunt more out in the open, going more "toe-to-toe" as it were.
I will usually approach until the bear spots me and starts stalking.
I'll then use myself as bait and lure the bear to where it will be more convenient for me to harvest the carcass.
In other words, I lure the bear to me and then I control where the skirmish takes place.
When the bear is more or less in the area I want it... I'll get low and let it stalk closer.
The idea is to get into "charging range," so that when I take the first shot... if that doesn't drop it, then it will charge me rather than flee.
If the first shot doesn't knock it down... then I take the additional shot(s) while it's charging at me.

On average (whether it's a moose or a bear) it only usually takes 1-2 shots to take down large game.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
That's how I hunt bear on Great Bear Island.

Edited by ManicManiac
Fixing errors
  • Upvote 4
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Just some guy being a dude said:

I know this would be better as a poll but I’m not smart enough to figure out how to start one.

generally there’s 4 ways I’ve seen people hunt bears if you don’t do any of these do tell how you go about hunting them

1.shoot it once then hide in a car and wait for it to bleed out 

2.climb on a really tall rock/fallen tree and shoot it a bunch 

3.run circles around it like a absolute madman and shoot when you can 

4.get surprised by it shoot it once then get mauled and find its body an hour later (me) 

I will use scent hunting with a good bit of option 2. I tend to also lure a bear to a good location. Pre planning movements is necessary, knowing where they are before you start is preferable. Going to places like an open barn. Hide in place they can't get to when they charge. You play a dangerous game of dip in and out of safety with meat to catch it's attention when it wants to run. The fishing hut in and out trick. There's a few bear caves you can comfortably camp on and wait for it to return. Ambush it when it comes home.  Some bears you really should take advantage of cheesy tactics like cars, fires, or just flat out going inside to sleep, miners folly bear. Surprise bears usually end up with ring around the trees. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, conanjaguar said:

I’ve never understood how that works, isn’t the bear faster than you anyway? And  how do you shoot him while doing that?

He might be faster but it takes him longer to turn round....  we just spin on the spot.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, conanjaguar said:

I’ve never understood how that works, isn’t the bear faster than you anyway? And  how do you shoot him while doing that?

Yes the charging bear is way faster than you. What happens depends on range of the surprise. If you're far enough away to trigger the stand first, I back off and get a tree I want to circle and shoot. If he's just gone into freight train, standing and taking the first shot before you've established a turning movement is just asking to be mauled. Get his movement the way you want around anything at all before the first shot. Be brave. You just kinda learn the circle pattern they take and when to shoot. The tighter of a corner they take the longer they take to corner. Figure 8s around 2 simi close tress can work. 

• Upvote 2

Someone please post a video of the ring around the tree...intriguing! I use the safe approach because a) don't wanna die, b) don't want my clothes shredded, c) I want the meat at my camp and don't want to haul it and perhaps get mauled by wolves or bear when doing so. Even though it is relatively safe, I still get an adrenaline rush because there is still a chance of getting mauled (i.e. I am usually crouched and forget to stand to run and get caught, can't seem to open the door and get caught, or the like). 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, TonyInPleasantValley said:

Someone please post a video of the ring around the tree...intriguing! I use the safe approach because a) don't wanna die, b) don't want my clothes shredded, c) I want the meat at my camp and don't want to haul it and perhaps get mauled by wolves or bear when doing so. Even though it is relatively safe, I still get an adrenaline rush because there is still a chance of getting mauled (i.e. I am usually crouched and forget to stand to run and get caught, can't seem to open the door and get caught, or the like). 

I'll try, but it might be a few days, I just forged arrow heads on a new run and need to craft some arrows and a bow first. I don't have a run capable of hunting anything at the moment. But ring around the trees is usually reserved for surprise bears I run into. It's the last resort plan. I would prefer to never dance with the bears like that. Very risky, but sometimes your only option. I'll say I've gotten lucky with it in the past. But I'd guess there's not much more than a 40 percent chance of success. You'll make a mistake more often than not.

Getting the bear or wolf to follow you to a safer harvest and kill zone is preferable always. You really don't want to tempt fate with "ring around the trees". 

• Upvote 1

On 8/27/2023 at 3:53 AM, bysinda said:

I'm on Interloper so I hunt with a bow. I do 1 or 2, but I usually shoot him just once anyway. Once I get to level 5 archery I just shoot them from a distance they can't detect me by positioning the aim 1-2 cm above the head. Sometimes I am lucky to kill with one shot 

This.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer to never engage a bear in a fair fight.

Playing on Voyageur I can use the revolver, rifle, bow or flare gun.  I prefer the bow when my character reaches Archery 5 and set aside low condition arrows specifically for bear hunting.  The wounded bear may run but the broken arrow remains behind.

When hunting on the ice (CH Fishing Camp, Mystery Lake Lone Cabin or Bleak Inlet Cannery Workers Residence) I use the fishing huts closest to the bear's  route as my preferred hunting locations.  The Riken's outside deck serves the same purpose.  Pulling the bear into close range with stones, scent or just standing in plain sight allows me to take a bow shot from the fishing hut entryway.  When no fishing hut is available I opt for high ground accessible to my character but not the bear or a conveniently placed car/truck.

It just takes one arrow to kill the bear - it is uncommon for me to use a second arrow unless I want to be more certain it will drop next to the fishing hut.  I stock up on stones for my favored fishing  huts to keep a wounded bear in close proximity.  Having a nearby fishing hut simplifies harvesting and cooking bear meat.

After developing an ample supply of bear hides and uncooked bear meat I continue to hunt bears simply to buy 15-16 days of peace not having to worry about  stumbling into a bear.

Edited by Blizzard Walker
  • Upvote 1

On 8/28/2023 at 7:41 AM, TonyInPleasantValley said:

Sorry it took so long to get you a "ring around the tree" example, life and the game have had other ideas.

https://www.xbox.com/play/media/MD5QFXBS9S

While not the typical experience, you can see the wide angles the bears take letting you move out of the way. You don't even need a tree, you can just dance on open ground. Sure they sprint quickly, at a single speed, but the turn is where you win.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FaT McMarlin said:

Sorry it took so long to get you a "ring around the tree" example, life and the game have had other ideas.

https://www.xbox.com/play/media/MD5QFXBS9S

While not the typical experience, you can see the wide angles the bears take letting you move out of the way. You don't even need a tree, you can just dance on open ground. Sure they sprint quickly, at a single speed, but the turn is where you win.

That looked a bit buggy ....  why did he keep stopping..🤔.   They usually keep running .

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

That looked a bit buggy ....  why did he keep stopping..🤔.   They usually keep running .

The fire and line of sight. I'm pretty sure at least. I didn't mean to have the fight there, but I didn't see him and he didn't make much noise till I'd lit the fire to get warm and I could hear the huffing and puffing and I was on top of the logs looking for him and a way to escape when he rounded the corner. At that point I didn't think I had the space to escape so I got the dance party going by triggering the charge. 

On 9/17/2023 at 3:02 PM, FaT McMarlin said:

Yeah, but I think we were slightly in the protective ring fires can have and that confused the ol brute. I just wanted to warm my teas 😂😂😂.

That bears in a really awkward place... I wonder if it can climb over those logs..  I've never seen anything on them until yesterday when a wolf ran into one and died .   

If it was the fire,I wonder why it didn't avoid it before it saw you...