How do you all like to hunt bears?

56 minutes ago, FaT McMarlin said:

The wolves are so easy to kill. They really don't give you much trouble. They are so constant with their movement it's predictable.

They used to be MUCH easier - the old days of, "drop decoy, back off a little bit and get broadside view of wolf, draw bow, kill wolf as it slowly walks towards decoy".  I don't even use decoys anymore since they are so unpredictable.

Edited by hozz1235

1 hour ago, FaT McMarlin said:

The wolves are so easy to kill. They really don't give you much trouble. They are so constant with their movement it's predictable.

Yeah they are. Sometimes they get close if the ground is off kilter and i get surprised, but as long as i have any projectile weapon they are, well, dogmeat…

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Yeah, I was kind of surprised by the "climb a rock in a cave and shoot it" approach - I'd like to see how that works.  I stick by my tried and true method of either:

• Climbing out on a small branch of a fallen tree (since an update, the bear could reach you on the main trunk)
  • Pick the top of a short drop to an inaccessible ledge and drop down if the bear charges

I can see how it's possible to pull off. I've used the technique with wolves. But I don't want to be trapped in a cave with an angry bear. 

Short drops turn into leaps of faith where Astrids legs shatter.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, TiffTastic said:

Yeah they are. Sometimes they get close if the ground is off kilter and i get surprised, but as long as i have any projectile weapon they are, well, dogmeat…

Lol dogmeat.....  makes me think of Fallout. I like to thump wolves in the face when they pause to growl. They have a slight pause when they approach before they begin the animation. Perfect time in my opinion.

4 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

They used to be MUCH easier - the old days of, "drop decoy, back off a little bit and get broadside view of wolf, draw bow, kill wolf as it slowly walks towards decoy".  I don't even use decoys anymore since they are so unpredictable.

I am the decoy lol. Scent hunting is such an ingrained method of mine. I don't wonder if I'm running into a wolf. I know they are headed my way. And if a wolf runs away scared before you take a shot, more than likely, a bears around.

On 8/28/2023 at 8:41 AM, TonyInPleasantValley said:

Someone please post a video of the ring around the tree...intriguing! I use the safe approach because a) don't wanna die, b) don't want my clothes shredded, c) I want the meat at my camp and don't want to haul it and perhaps get mauled by wolves or bear when doing so. Even though it is relatively safe, I still get an adrenaline rush because there is still a chance of getting mauled (i.e. I am usually crouched and forget to stand to run and get caught, can't seem to open the door and get caught, or the like). 

I lost my last stalker run attempting this.(nearly 200 days) I was overconfident and took on a bear when I shouldn’t have and got attacked 3 times back to back. I wish I would have gotten it on video. Ring around the tree was my last attempt to salvage the run. It really hurt losing that one considering it was my first time breaking 100 days. 

Edited by KingFuzz
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, FaT McMarlin said:

Lol dogmeat.....  makes me think of Fallout. I like to thump wolves in the face when they pause to growl. They have a slight pause when they approach before they begin the animation. Perfect time in my opinion.

God I love fallout. Only other games ive replayed for years….

8 hours ago, TiffTastic said:

God I love fallout. Only other games ive replayed for years….

That and Elder Scrolls!  Did you play the first Fallout, Tiff?  Which one is your favorite?  I don't think I have a favorite - I've replayed 3, New Vegas and 4 multiple times with all the DLC.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, KingFuzz said:

I lost my last stalker run attempting this.(nearly 200 days) I was overconfident and took on a bear when I shouldn’t have and got attacked 3 times back to back. I wish I would have gotten it on video. Ring around the tree was my last attempt to salvage the run. It really hurt losing that one considering it was my first time breaking 100 days. 

That's brutal!!! Ring around the trees is not highly recommend. It's really a last ditch effort. It really comes down to making the bear turn. The more it turns, the slower it gets. Pathing is very important and possible the most important part of the exercise. If you're wanting to disengage the more trees in between you and the bear the better. You want to give the bear a clear view of yourself but make the bear path around several objects. That generally disrupts the charge and gets him walking again. Not aiming and taking another shot is hard, but self control. I've probably watched this clip a thousand times trying to figure out what all is happening and why the bears behave the way they do. You can see how the bear gets confused over trees, a log, and a single rock on the ground. 

https://www.xbox.com/play/media/MD5QFXBS9S

I suffered close to 30 maulings to get to this point. Unfortunately, if this doesn't come naturally to you, you're going to learn the hard way like I did and get chewed on until you've got it. I'll guess that this technique has an very low success rate until you've got it down, even then, I still get mauled from time to time.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

That and Elder Scrolls!  Did you play the first Fallout, Tiff?  Which one is your favorite?  I don't think I have a favorite - I've replayed 3, New Vegas and 4 multiple times with all the DLC.

Never played the first and second. Found it on the third. My favorite is definitely new vegas. Its just got the best style and quirks, and the dlc is insanely good. I have probably played it 500 hours lol. 3 is really good too, and is my second favorite. 4 is ok, too much emphasis on settlements and not enough on other gameplay….

which was your fave?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TiffTastic said:

Never played the first and second. Found it on the third. My favorite is definitely new vegas. Its just got the best style and quirks, and the dlc is insanely good. I have probably played it 500 hours lol. 3 is really good too, and is my second favorite. 4 is ok, too much emphasis on settlements and not enough on other gameplay….

which was your fave?

I'd have to say it's a tie between NV and 4.  I really like the "vibe" of NV, I just wish it had more content/bigger game world.

You actually came in at a good time with 3.  1 & 2, with their age and technology were GREAT at the time but hard to compare them to the newer stuff.  This really goes for all games for me.  I began gaming in 1984.

Edited by hozz1235
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

I'd have to say it's a tie between NV and 4.  I really like the "vibe" of NV, I just wish it had more content/bigger game world.

You actually came in at a good time with 3.  1 & 2, with their age and technology were GREAT at the time but hard to compare them to the newer stuff.  This really goes for all games for me.  I began gaming in 1984.

I began as a kid, mid 80s, but had only consoles from 1998 to present, so i missed the pc games for a long time. Thats why i missed fallout 1&2. I wish fallout 5 existed. Maybe the one game that could tear me away from tld currently….

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

Sadly, it's called Fallout76.  I was sooooo disappointed.  The whole MP aspect ruined it for me.  I wish they would come out with a single-player version of it.

I do not recognize 76 as a successor to fallout 4. It is heresy.

• Upvote 1

My favorite place to hunt bears is their own cave when it has a nice shelf to stand on.  The bear cave in Desolation Point is an example.  Go to the back of the cave then up the rocks on the left (as you're looking toward the back of the cave).  There's a high point where the bear can't reach you (but he can on the flat part of the shelf, be careful).

Arm yourself with some arrows (or gun) and a half dozen stones.  Put something smelly in your pocket and get the bear to follow you back to the cave.  Climb up the highest part and when the bear gets close to the cave entrance, throw a stone on the middle of the floor to lure the bear inside.  Shoot him and he'll turn and run, but he'll start walking when he reaches the cave entrance.  Throw another stone on the floor and he'll come back in.  Shoot and repeat until he's dead, in a perfect place to start some fires and get cooking.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

My favorite place to hunt bears is their own cave when it has a nice shelf to stand on.

I have a different bear cave habit. Whenever I kill a bear, once I've processed the carcass I head to the bear's cave and drop a stick in tribute, placing them in a sorta starburst pattern if I take that spawn out more than once. Dunno why I started it, but it's a pretty ingrained habit now.

screen_33e56813-4448-47ae-a587-c1b4f7d13846_hi.png

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

On 8/26/2023 at 8:34 PM, Just some guy being a dude said:

generally there’s 4 ways I’ve seen people hunt bears if you don’t do any of these do tell how you go about hunting them

The same way I hunt moose.

Vaughn's (or Curator's if I'm lucky) Rifle, Hunting Revolver. Usually bring the vest too for funnies.

Pepper it with revolver fire, and if it mauls me switch to Vaughn's and start laying down heat.

Managed to kill a moose using only a revolver with this strategy.

Granted, this isn't exactly ammo-efficient, but it's arguably the finest way to show the Bear that you mean business.

On 10/5/2023 at 7:33 PM, artmunki said:

I have a different bear cave habit. Whenever I kill a bear, once I've processed the carcass I head to the bear's cave and drop a stick in tribute, placing them in a sorta starburst pattern if I take that spawn out more than once. Dunno why I started it, but it's a pretty ingrained habit now.

Nice, I like it!

If I see the bear or know it's an area where they typically are I will crouch down with my rifle and slowly ease myself into a position to take a head shot. If I don't manage that but wound it, I'll start tracking it from a safe distance.