Dev Update - February 2023

Admin

There's alot of possibilities to add, yet only 2 slots (1 if feet or hands slots) to use.

It doesn't matter what HL will add for the usage of pelts, we're going to have the same issues still. And what good would do having multiple craftable clothing using x pelts if we can only wear 2 or 1 clothing?

At this point we could start thinking a different way to suggest the usage of pelts rathen only for clothing. Perhaps a blanket or harvesting pelts for leather?

• Upvote 1

I'm glad you cannot wear three ski jackets / three wolf coats or two rabbit mittens, or whatever else, as then it would definitely become too easy with temperature (unless you use the Relentless Night mod). I mean I guess it would be more realistic for survivor to just maximise everything they can as long as they can move around outdoors, but then again there are many things in the game that are much, much, much more fairytale than that, so whatever

Rather than making more uses for the items themselves, how about making all of the animals (even rabbits) harder and more time consuming to kill. And/or making harvesting and utilizing them feel way more hard work. That would be my easy solution for excess pelts and guts and furs having no use and collecting dust. There would simply be less of them. But that's not the route they're taking with even more deadlier guns are fire hardened arrows being introduced. And even the animal die-off rate is very low when the custom settings are turned to maximum, without mods there's still gonna be plenty of deer and rabbits and wolfies in day 500 regardless what you do.

Edited by Mistral

5 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

🤭I mean, if we want to get a little whimsical:
bear-claw-oven-mitts_400x333.jpg.5143b97ba2a362a80fe6bb661edb9942.jpgbear-claw-mitts_400x333.jpg.227e86dd66a033a0ecb81c43e0b3046b.jpg
"Bear Claw" Gauntlets/mitts ?  :D 

:coffee::fire::coffee:
(yes, my example pics were meant as a joke... but the idea of bearskin gauntlets, I think might be neat)

I'll take a pair of those  bear gloves😁

• Upvote 1

Well, I can see how a greater variety of hide clothing could be all right, and doesn't have to make stuff easier; instead I'd be interested in seeing a greater variety of hides being able to be used for different items (i.e. deer, wolf, bear, moose coats, with different weight/temperature/wind/encumbrance characteristics, like a new deer coat that is relatively light and doesn't encumber very much but is only +2C for warmth etc, perhaps coupled with a greater variety of daytime temps). The idea here is that you can wake up to a relatively warm morning and take a risk of wearing less clothing while doing a task outside such as ferrying that moose meat back to base, but if you get boned by a blizzard showing up you can get into far more serious trouble.

The trick is to make it about tradeoffs like I can carry more per trip but if a wolf comes along or a blizzard blows up it can become far more dangerous for me. The tradeoff is by cutting down on the number of trips I'm also cutting my risk of bad situations, but making the outcome of a bad situation happening worse, if you follow my reasoning on it.

Edited by stratvox
bad code block fix
  • Upvote 2

22 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

🤭I mean, if we want to get a little whimsical:
bear-claw-mitts_400x333.jpg.227e86dd66a033a0ecb81c43e0b3046b.jpg
"Bear Claw" Gauntlets/mitts ?  :D 

I mean, if we ever get to that point, just let me craft this:

image.jpeg.493a33452f502d66ff1848e0b8216d14.jpeg

You could just scare away most wildlife and be super warm at the same time. Just need to be mindful to not sleep anywhere near a real bear would consider a suitable den, they might want to befriend you a bit too much. 

In all seriousness I do wish the new clothing items are craftable, but I'm counting on them just being normal gear. I was one of the whiny people always clamoring for a craftable hat back then, sorry HL,( wool toques were rare on Loper back then, and bears kept eating mine ), and when they announced they'd be doing a craftable hat, they mentioned it would be craftable in the announcement itself. I don't get the same energy this time, hopefully they surprise us but I'm certainly not expecting it.

• Upvote 2

On 2/10/2023 at 10:10 AM, Admin said:

tld-feb-dev-update-steam-library-spotlight-banner..thumb.png.2e3e88db420339841047efb579060230.png

Hello Survivors,

We have a few updates about the development progress around TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY, the paid Expansion Pass for Survival Mode, which we launched on Steam (Windows-only) on December 5th.

TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY, Part One: Mac Version

We’re happy to announce that we were able to fix the issues that prevented the Mac build of TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY from working. The Test Team is finalizing the build, and it is due for release on Wednesday, February 15th on Steam and the Epic Game Store. This will bring the Mac version to parity with Windows.

TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY, Part One: Xbox and PlayStation Versions

The team is working hard on finalizing and testing these versions. We’ve encountered a few hiccups with the respective store setups, but we have found some workarounds. The current target date for Xbox and PlayStation releases of TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY is Wednesday, March 15th. This will bring Steam, Epic Game store, Xbox, and PlayStation versions to parity. Please keep in mind, Xbox and PlayStation will need to approve these new versions, which may affect the release date. We will provide confirmation closer to launch. 

We’ll have more news on the Nintendo Switch version in the coming weeks.

SAVE SYSTEM OVERHAUL WITH TALES, PART ONE

As a reminder, as part of splitting the game between Story and Survival Modes, we have made some necessary changes to help future-proof the save system in THE LONG DARK, and to enable you to receive improvements to the game moving forward. 

As a result, unfortunately current Survival Mode saves will not work with the game once you download the Update for Part One of TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY. This is true even if you do not purchase the Expansion Pass. 

This change will not impact Feats, Feats progress, Achievements, or WINTERMUTE saves. 

TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY, Part Two: Launch Date & Features

We are currently targeting a launch for TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY, PART TWO on Thursday, March 30th. This will be for the Steam, Xbox, PlayStation, and Epic Games Store versions. The work on Part Two is nearly complete, and will be entering the Testing phase soon. Please keep in mind that the release date may be impacted by development realities.

Bunker_Enhanced_Small.thumb.jpg.5f7cb87425ae5f02bf34503146eda479.jpg
Prepper Bunker Overhaul - Available in Part Two of TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY

The feature and content set for Part Two will include:

(For those who own TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY)

• Tale: “Signal Void” (estimated 5+ hours of play time to complete)
  • Handheld Shortwave Radio
  • Transponder Cache Gameplay
  • New Bunkers
  • Three new Clothing items

(For anyone that owns THE LONG DARK or SURVIVAL EDITION)

• Fire-Hardened Arrows 
  • Enhanced Prepper Bunkers
  • Enhanced Beachcombing
  • Acorns & Oak Trees 

Note: In this post, Fire-Hardened Arrows were mistakenly listed under the Paid update for TALES, however, we have adjusted the lists to accurately reflect the content listed on the Expansion Pass Roadmap. 

We’ll share more details about each of the features going into Part Two as we get closer to release. If you’d like to review our plans for TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY, please review the Roadmap. If you’d like to see what is included in Part One, check out the launch video here.

Windows - Upcoming Hotfix

We continue to work toward resolving a number of issues on Windows, including: 

A couple of issues causing an infinite loading screen or failure to progress past the disclaimer screen after launching the game.
An issue in the Episode Four mission, "Lost Power Workers" that caused the game to hang when entering the trailer.

We appreciate your ongoing patience and support as we work to resolve these concerns, and we will share a date for the Hotfix in the near future as soon as more news is available. For all other technical issues, please reach out via our Support Portal.

Thank you, Survivors, and keep your eyes open for next week’s release of TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY on Mac (on Steam and Epic Game Store)!

- The Hinterland Team

Is the Hotfix scheduled after all the items listed here were released?

Or will the schedule be announced as soon as it is ready regardless of the list listed above?

Edited by SaabGripen

2 hours ago, SaabGripen said:

Or will the schedule be announced as soon as it is ready regardless of the list listed above?

It should be announced when it is ready, without all the things above.

On 2/22/2023 at 4:03 PM, stratvox said:

Well, I can see how a greater variety of hide clothing could be all right, and doesn't have to make stuff easier; instead I'd be interested in seeing a greater variety of hides being able to be used for different items (i.e. deer, wolf, bear, moose coats, with different weight/temperature/wind/encumbrance characteristics, like a new deer coat that is relatively light and doesn't encumber very much but is only +2C for warmth etc, perhaps coupled with a greater variety of daytime temps). The idea here is that you can wake up to a relatively warm morning and take a risk of wearing less clothing while doing a task outside such as ferrying that moose meat back to base, but if you get boned by a blizzard showing up you can get into far more serious trouble.

The trick is to make it about tradeoffs like I can carry more per trip but if a wolf comes along or a blizzard blows up it can become far more dangerous for me. The tradeoff is by cutting down on the number of trips I'm also cutting my risk of bad situations, but making the outcome of a bad situation happening worse, if you follow my reasoning on it.

i suggested something like this many years ago, ability to craft and repair with multiple hide types.  or even modify a certain type with other pelts.  for instance, rabbit line a bear coat or deer pants for extra warmth.  or repairing a torn wolf coat with a deer pelt.  

• Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 1:41 AM, SaabGripen said:

We are working on some additional improvements for the PC Hotfix, and we will provide more information as soon as it is available. Thank you for your patience! 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Leeanda said:

For those who might've missed it....there's a warning about the upcoming update deleting old saves. 

In case you talk about the warning in the first post of this thread: This warning is about Tales PART ONE. It's a reminder for the console users, that once the update is live, the old saves will be deleted. Just as it was on the 5th of December for PC-users. Tales PART TWO shouldn't delete any saves, as far as I understood. Just wanted to note it, so no PC user would get alarmed about this ^^

Edited by Arcx
  • Upvote 2

Any news on the hotfix?

I ask as the game is currently unplayable trying to move between regions.

Windows - Upcoming Hotfix

We continue to work toward resolving a number of issues on Windows, including: 

A couple of issues causing an infinite loading screen or failure to progress past the disclaimer screen after launching the game.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Flamethrower yes please...BBQ no thanks🙂.   

Some people will eat anything but I'm not one  of them.   I'll get my vitamins and minerals from supplements  like usual 😁

No supplements in TLD though! ;)