Dev Update - February 2023

Admin

7 hours ago, RegentRelic said:

Dealing with wolves is expensive without tainted meat, but isn't hard to kill any number of them. It's just all in the preparation. The easiest way is to run to a safe zone (a fire or the start of the island (there's a small safe zone) and then place spear trap on the edge, then stand just behind the first one and place a second one. A wolf might charge you but, will be killed by the first trap. If one doesn't step forward into second tap. Repeat. As for the bow, using it is so, expensive that it's only viable when you have exorbitant amount of flint and even then it's only useful against snakes and when inside a safe zone. What I'm get at is that you really need to pick and choose your battles. If you do have tainted meat then you can massacre them by killing as many as you want with one piece of meat.

When it comes to the crafting I didn't have issue you did even though they haven't updated the game since 2017. Maybe it's just the language you were playing in. I did have other issues with the U.I though. I found that many of the icons where hard to tell apart. More importantly the crafting sound effect over rides the music meaning that I would essential stop playing the game so, I could let the song finish. Similar to How in Wintermute I don't want to turn in quest because the song that's playing is better than the story.

In The Flame in flood your being driven towards your death some times at break neck pace, until you can master the river. Until you learn to go with the flow. You need to do what you can were you can, but you can't fight the river. Both death and the River are more powerful then you. But you can negotiate. Change it your course just enough to see tomorrow. You must dance with them. At least that's what it's trying to do. It is defiantly a heavily flawed game. To quote the title song "There's a silence that may be heard loud and clear. In the simple, wild, and natural cadence"

The game has it's issues. Lots of them, but that ending hits me right in the gut every time. Oh please let episode five of the game were supposed to talking about be amazing.

I thought that the game is designed to be like that. But you are never sure whether the game is bad designed or if it's purpose. Have played it until 8/10 i think and stopped after that. You are right about the river and all the threats. You have to go with them, not against them to be successful. I've seen a YouTuber not understanding this, getting frustrated, blaming the game for it and cancelling the Let's Play. I play it on english btw, but it's still my opinion that the crafting journal needs an overhaul.

Spear trap is a good choice, but i remember not being able to craft them every time. I also think that the rudder is not necessary, with a bit of practice you can maneuver the river without it. You have to think ahead and must accept that you can't swim against the flow, even if it means that you are missing out on items.

Thank you for the update!

Something to look forward  🤎 🖤 💛 

after 8 years of playing on Xbox (when it was free to play beta/sandbox) I understand and appreciate that launch dates can change, and TLD never disappoints,  never get tired of playing!!!

Looking forward to release when ever it may be!

Thank you again Raph and Hinterland for all your hard work.

TigersKitten

Edited by Tigerskitten
  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Speaking about new clothing, i don't think HL would add some new craftable clothing using cured pelts (since IMO it would fit more in the free paid stream)

So the question is... Does clothing variants count as new clothing items? Or it is just some uncraftable clothing that you could find.

8 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I'd still like the twolf coat though

Certainly.  I'm all for more pelt/crafted clothing variety.  Back when they arrived on the scene, I was hoping they would have their own unique pelt.  I admit I was a little disappointed that they didn't.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I only gravitate toward the cowl because of Hinterland's concept art/character model for Jeremiah... and I figured another item for the "head" slots wouldn't go amiss. 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, ManicManiac said:

Certainly.  I'm all for more pelt clothing variety.  Back when they arrived on the scene, I was hoping they would have their own unique pelt.  I admit I was a little disappointed that they didn't.

I only gravitate toward the cowl because of Hinterland's concept art/character model for Jeremiah... and I figured another item for the "head" slots wouldn't go amiss. 

Agreed.   It's certainly an improvement ,not only protection wise but aesthetically too.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, conanjaguar said:

What would be my dream (and a coder’s nightmare) would be to let any clothing item be crafted with any skins. Rabbit vest? Bear hat? Moose gauntlets? Wolf slippers? You got it!

Moose gauntlets,yes please😊.   

Fluffy slippers and a customized rocking chair on the porch watching the sun go down with a nice hot cuppa 😁

• Upvote 2

On 2/20/2023 at 8:36 PM, A Lamp said:

Speaking about new clothing, i don't think HL would add some new craftable clothing using cured pelts (since IMO it would fit more in the free paid stream)

So the question is... Does clothing variants count as new clothing items? Or it is just some uncraftable clothing that you could find.

Hopefully the latter since any new standard clothing items would probably just go under the Stalker loot table again, which they have been heavily concentrating on lately

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mistral said:

Hopefully the latter since any new standard clothing items would probably just go under the Stalker loot table again, which they have been heavily concentrating on lately

The former, not latter, I meant :D

Although at the same time, having said that, if more animal craftables become available, it should also be counter balanced somehow in difficulty since you always end up having excess animal furs and guts and whatnot everywhere. In fact the only animal you don't have excess materials of is the moose.

In other words, I don't want any increased easiness either way

Edited by Mistral
  • Upvote 2

15 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

any skins. Rabbit vest? Bear hat? Moose gauntlets? Wolf slippers?

🤭I mean, if we want to get a little whimsical:
bear-claw-oven-mitts_400x333.jpg.5143b97ba2a362a80fe6bb661edb9942.jpgbear-claw-mitts_400x333.jpg.227e86dd66a033a0ecb81c43e0b3046b.jpg
"Bear Claw" Gauntlets/mitts ?  :D 

(yes, my example pics were meant as a joke... but the idea of bearskin gauntlets, I think might be neat)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 3