Dev Update - February 2023

Admin

Cockroaches would be a HUGE no for me! I actually think most bugs, spiders, creepy-crawlies or "slimy" things are cool and fascinating, but cannot stand those things. Was watching a National Geo. show yesterday and they had a segment with giant Hawaii roaches ... my grandson flew over to the remote and fast-forwarded ... he knows his Nana well.

Waiting patiently for the console (X-Box) update. Checked in on it a couple days ago and saw the new notice posted ... but nothing else yet ... did a quick test-run here & there to confirm if there was anything else new ... Nope ... 

(Another console game I play a LOT is scheduled for a major update on March 14/15th, so it'll be interesting to see which one actually gets done first.)

• Upvote 2

On 2/10/2023 at 12:33 PM, Semple Fi said:

@everyone

I don’t know who watches the news anymore, or the average age for the gamers present here but….. at what point in the last two/three years has the expectation of immediate gratification been a realistic expectation?

I’m surprised HTL is still a functioning company after all of the small business tragedy in the last two years.  Not because of their choices, but because of poor government policy combined with a massive wealth transfer to the biggest companies currently in existence.  
I’m  happy just to continue getting anymore content to this game, I figured it was over and episode 5 would never come to fruition.  

If there was a justifiable perception of lack of effort/customer abuse on the part of HTL, all these negative comments would be permissible.  But really, guys? 
At this point in the 2023 post pandemic market system, this should be EXPECTED.
HTL will make the final product promised, they’ve clearly demonstrated that in the last decade; but it will take time, it will take patience, it will take understanding, it will take support.

Try logging these complaints with a company like Nintendo, see how much they care. And I own a Nintendo switch, imagine my disappointment.  

now, get positive!

I could not agree with you more.

People really have lost all perspective and just cry like babies when something goes a tiny bit out of their expectations.

Building a huge piece of software to run perfectly on several consoles and thousands of configurations of PC is a nearly impossible task to do without unforeseen hiccups. I'm a back-end web developer. My software only has to run on ONE configuration of web server and it's still not an exact science.

Try cooking one meal and serving it to a restaurant full of 100 people. Will everyone be happy? Hell no! Will someone have an allergy? Hell yes! And that's assuming all your inputs are predictable. What if your vegetables call in sick? What if your stove gets an update and you have to relearn how to use it? Good grief.

I'm running the game on a Linux PC and let me tell you - almost zero studios give a shit about making their game work well on Linux. But this game works flawlessly.

Tune into the tech news for 5 minutes this year and you'll hear of thousands upon thousands of layoffs at the top tech companies. Bleeding talent. Cancelling projects. Nuking their ethics and support teams. It's a mess.

Yet here is Hinterland putting out quality content in a responsible way, updating a game that by all measures is old and has probably saturated their market of survival game players. Dunno if it's younger folks doing the complaining but Long Darkians.... we have got it GOOD with this game and this studio. Take it from a multi-decade gamer who has gone the distance on console and PC gaming for a long long time. This kind of attention and quality on a very old game from a small-medium size studio is unheard of. A game that by all measures is way better and beyond what was originally planned from the kickstarter. These hiccups are unfortunate but normal... and if you keep being blindsided and devastated by them... then maybe playing games that are still under development isn't for you. :coffee:

• Upvote 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sherri said:

I'm running the game on a Linux PC and let me tell you - almost zero studios give a shit about making their game work well on Linux. But this game works flawlessly.

Well said. I'm on Linux too and I am so impressed that my favourite game runs natively on Steam for Linux, most don't, and it runs very well. I don't think any of the glitches I encounter are linux-only, and that's basically a miracle.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sherri said:

I could not agree with you more.

People really have lost all perspective and just cry like babies when something goes a tiny bit out of their expectations.

Building a huge piece of software to run perfectly on several consoles and thousands of configurations of PC is a nearly impossible task to do without unforeseen hiccups. I'm a back-end web developer. My software only has to run on ONE configuration of web server and it's still not an exact science.

Try cooking one meal and serving it to a restaurant full of 100 people. Will everyone be happy? Hell no! Will someone have an allergy? Hell yes! And that's assuming all your inputs are predictable. What if your vegetables call in sick? What if your stove gets an update and you have to relearn how to use it? Good grief.

Tune into the tech news for 5 minutes this year and you'll hear of thousands upon thousands of layoffs at the top tech companies. Bleeding talent. Cancelling projects. Nuking their ethics and support teams. It's a mess.

Yet here is Hinterland putting out quality content in a responsible way, updating a game that by all measures is old and has probably saturated their market of survival game players. Dunno if it's younger folks doing the complaining but Long Darkians.... we have got it GOOD with this game and this studio. Take it from a multi-decade gamer who has gone the distance on console and PC gaming for a long long time. This kind of attention and quality on a very old game from a small-medium size studio is unheard of. A game that by all measures is way better and beyond what was originally planned from the kickstarter. These hiccups are unfortunate but normal... and if you keep being blindsided and devastated by them... then maybe playing games that are still under development isn't for you. :coffee:

And I couldn't agree with YOU more!  

That being said, my ADD kicked in when I read LINUX and all I could think of was Jurassic Park....

Jurassic Park Unix GIF - Jurassic Park Unix Doom - Discover & Share GIFs

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

• Admin unpinned this topic