Dev Update - February 2023

Admin

17 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I actually need some ideas for something to do while I wait as I can't settle into a proper run until after the update....  So if anyone has any experiments or anything they want testing just give me a shout.

Raft it's a chill and fun game to play, very different than any other survival game.

Many people also play Grounded, one of the best survival games around right now.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Glacia said:

Raft it's a chill and fun game to play, very different than any other survival game.

Many people also play Grounded, one of the best survival games around right now.

Thanks for the suggestions.  😊 

It's more something to do on tld I'm looking for though...  

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 1

I have nothing against delayed patches and content, it's something that just happens for several reasons. 

However i think the DLC page should be updated and the release times changed a bit. I find a much better idea something like "8 to 16 weeks, subject to change" than the current 8 weeks. 

And please, take all the time you need, even if this means delay more the release date of a update, but don't release unfinished, bugged or problematic updates because this really damages the players experience.

The DLC release was almost a disaster because it was released early, full of bugs and problems and without proper patch notes (And other things of course...) 

I find this new update a lot better, not just for the new content but also because it have the correct patch notes and all the info the players need, it's a good chance to earn again the trust of most players, who have been dissapointed with the first DLC patch.

It's always better to have people complaining and arguing about delayed updates than players dissapointed with a bad, bugged or unfinished patch! 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Leeanda said:

It's more something to do on tld I'm looking for though...  

- Play Escape The Dark Walker if you haven't already. If you have do it again spawning in a different region. 

- Do the Wintermute out doors challenge.

- Do a short run on each version of the game via the time capsule.

- Try to reach the poster card Location of each Region in thirty days or less.

- Want an atmospheric single player survival game with a similar level of intensity as voyager difficulty I would suggest The Flame in The Flood.

2 minutes ago, RegentRelic said:

- Want an atmospheric single player survival game with a similar level of intensity as voyager difficulty I would suggest The Flame in The Flood.

Is Flame in the Flood playable? The mechanics are a bit annoying (shooting the bow) and the difficulty is also a bit too high. Three wolves in one area and no possibility to kill them, or just one of them is.... yeah. Ingredients for a poisoned decoy dropping way to less. Also the very bad overview of the recipies, you don't know what the items you're collecting are for unless you have all required materials. It has been some time since i played it last (March 2018), did they changed it to the better?

Woo looks like fun!

I just have one problem though. 
people buying the DLC (including myself) PAID to get the content at a "8-10 week cadence" key word PAID.

With free updates, you aren't ever held to a specific date, but if people are paying for it, that's a different story. You're now promising to deliver at 16 weeks, a significant jump!

I'm am perfectly fine waiting, but please don't lie about what I'm paying for, and when I'm paying to get it! It's just a bad practice. 

Please be more realistic with your time estimation as to not upset everyone. 

You made the mistake this time, so go now and fix your product page, and your store pages to match what is more realistic for your team. It becomes concerning if you fail to keep a promise that we paid for.

I love this game and won't ever leave it, but trust with your community is something your business lacks, and this issue doesn't help.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RegentRelic said:

- Play Escape The Dark Walker if you haven't already. If you have do it again spawning in a different region. 

- Do the Wintermute out doors challenge.

- Do a short run on each version of the game via the time capsule. 

- Try to reach the poster card Location of each Region in thirty days or less.

Thanks for the suggestions 😊.   I did think about doing the side missions in story mode as I skipped most of them..    not sure what the outdoors challenge is though?

I am on a 40+ day run at the moment too .

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Hawk said:

Still no mention for GoG users? OK!

I guess I'll save my money, uninstall TLD and move on. I got my money's worth.

Not surprised, it was removed from their catalog quite some time ago, seems it was around the time the Redux update happened.  Isn't there a way to sync your GOG library with Steam or something?  I'd reach out to support about this if I were you.  Maybe they'd gift you a Steam key for the game at the least.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, nyfo29 said:

So I'm noticing there's no mention of blackrock in this DD. We're closing in on 1.5 years since it was added but it still hasn't been added to the mapping system. 

It's on purpose. The regions that are listed are required for the cartographer achievement. When Blackrock was added the devs decided to stop making getting it more and more difficult.

• Upvote 4
  • Like 1

@Leeanda

I just started a new run in Wintermute, since I purchased the Steam version and I’ve really grown to like the PC version (and I’m sure you noticed the additional delay for the switch past March 😢), so I’m glad I bought the DLC for PC but I digress….

Anyhow, looking for something more to do… I feel like there has been quite a a bit added to the story now that wasnt there before the decoupling.  More notes, more side missions and caches, even a new book?? You may find the additions for story depth worth the DLC on steam if you ever decide to play PC vs Xbox 🙂👍🏼

(I thought I remembered a previous post where you mentioned your gaming system)

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Semple Fi said:

@Leeanda

I just started a new run in Wintermute, since I purchased the Steam version and I’ve really grown to like the PC version (and I’m sure you noticed the additional delay for the switch past March 😢), so I’m glad I bought the DLC for PC but I digress….

Anyhow, looking for something more to do… I feel like there has been quite a a bit added to the story now that wasnt there before the decoupling.  More notes, more side missions and caches, even a new book?? You may find the additions for story depth worth the DLC on steam if you ever decide to play PC vs Xbox 🙂👍🏼

(I thought I remembered a previous post where you mentioned your gaming system)

Thanks.   You remember correctly..I do have a laptop but I have a few issues with it at the moment so it's unplayable .  (Pc and personal wise).   

I did notice the lack of news for the switch players and I really feel for you all...  I just hope that when you finally get it  ,that you get all of it in one go.

• Upvote 2

On 2/10/2023 at 8:35 PM, Admin said:

Correct, this is just a reminder for Console and Mac users. Thank you!

Thank You for the clarification. This is great news.

I bought the DLC being full aware, that something can go wrong. The actual communication, with in-time answers to our questions is really good, in my optinion. Thanks HTL for that and keep up the good work.

For other games: Stranded Deep was a nice distraction. Or try Subnautica/Below Zero, this really good stuff too.

Edited by mfuegemann
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Thanks.   You remember correctly..I do have a laptop but I have a few issues with it at the moment so it's unplayable .  (Pc and personal wise).   

I did notice the lack of news for the switch players and I really feel for you all...  I just hope that when you finally get it  ,that you get all of it in one go.

image.gif.b2006581dc0a74bb1ab3c128a8adf9dd.gif

• Upvote 2

Great update; I'm really looking forward to the new features, particularly the Tale challenge/adventure. 

I've gotten far more than my money's worth from TLD over thousands of hours of gameplay, and the way they work with the fans and communicate is part of the what I enjoy about an indie game, so I'm not griping a bit about schedules. 

(I mean, I WANT a new region every 2 weeks and for all my pet ideas to be implemented, but...)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Karl Grylls said:

Is Flame in the Flood playable? The mechanics are a bit annoying (shooting the bow) and the difficulty is also a bit too high. Three wolves in one area and no possibility to kill them, or just one of them is.... yeah. Ingredients for a poisoned decoy dropping way to less. Also the very bad overview of the recipies, you don't know what the items you're collecting are for unless you have all required materials. It has been some time since i played it last (March 2018), did they changed it to the better?

Dealing with wolves is expensive without tainted meat, but isn't hard to kill any number of them. It's just all in the preparation. The easiest way is to run to a safe zone (a fire or the start of the island (there's a small safe zone) and then place spear trap on the edge, then stand just behind the first one and place a second one. A wolf might charge you but, will be killed by the first trap. If one doesn't step forward into second tap. Repeat. As for the bow, using it is so, expensive that it's only viable when you have exorbitant amount of flint and even then it's only useful against snakes and when inside a safe zone. What I'm get at is that you really need to pick and choose your battles. If you do have tainted meat then you can massacre them by killing as many as you want with one piece of meat.

When it comes to the crafting I didn't have issue you did even though they haven't updated the game since 2017. Maybe it's just the language you were playing in. I did have other issues with the U.I though. I found that many of the icons where hard to tell apart. More importantly the crafting sound effect over rides the music meaning that I would essential stop playing the game so, I could let the song finish. Similar to How in Wintermute I don't want to turn in quest because the song that's playing is better than the story.

In The Flame in flood your being driven towards your death some times at break neck pace, until you can master the river. Until you learn to go with the flow. You need to do what you can were you can, but you can't fight the river. Both death and the River are more powerful then you. But you can negotiate. Change it your course just enough to see tomorrow. You must dance with them. At least that's what it's trying to do. It is defiantly a heavily flawed game. To quote the title song "There's a silence that may be heard loud and clear. In the simple, wild, and natural cadence"

The game has it's issues. Lots of them, but that ending hits me right in the gut every time. Oh please let episode five of the game were supposed to talking about be amazing.