Dev Update - February 2023

Admin

50 minutes ago, Mistral said:

apology might be in order

Besides going a little long on the 8-10 week timeframe, I don't see this as a big deal.  Who knows, the next release could come in 6 weeks!    Let's give them the opportunity to fulfill their commitment.  At the end of that, if it isn't met, discussion needs to be had.  

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, Admin said:

Enhanced Beachcombing

I'm curious about what this means.
Currently beachcombing isn't even a risky proposition anymore.
Where we once had a real risk of falling through thin ice... nowadays I can just walk up and collected things at my leisure.  I haven't run into a single patch of thin ice while beachcombing in a really long time.  Is this a matter of them fixing up the lack of thin ice...  a switch-up in the probabilities of various items... or are the number of areas where items can appear getting expanded?

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Personally, I'd like to see a return of beachcombing items back on thin ice.  I had much preferred it when I had to really take a risk to run out, grab it, and try to make it back before falling through.   (later, I thought that the crampons were a nice mitigation for those who wanted or needed more time to grab things)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, hozz1235 said:

Maybe it's just me, but I seem to recall a new tree model already in the game.  I was guessing it was the oak, and they just need to scatter some acorns around it.

The existing oaks are only in the Transfer Pass and Forsaken Airfield. But since this is about bringing Oaks/Acorn into the free version of the game, and TP + FA are not part of that, it means integrating oak trees into the old maps too. I guess to some of them, anyway. I'd assume to something like Pleasant Valley

Edited by Mistral
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Mistral said:

The existing oaks are only in the Transfer Pass and Forsaken Airfield. But since this is about bringing Oaks/Acorn into the free version of the game, and TP + FA are not part of that, it means integrating oak trees into the old maps too. I guess to some of them, anyway. I'd assume to something like Pleasant Valley

I'll pay more attention next time I play, but I seem to recall the "oak" trees in other zones as well.

Appreciate the update.

I don't see this as a major deviation from what had been announced for the season pass. The Season Pass was to include 3 MAJOR Updates (3 Parts) over the course of 12 months. That meant that MAJOR updates could be up to 6 months apart.

Part #1 (Forsaken Airfield) launched in Dec 2022. 12 Months would conclude in Nov 2023. Therefore, if Part #3 launched in Nov 2023, Part #2 would sit somehwere between Dec 2022 and Nov 2023. Getting it late March / early April 2023 does not seem late.

The 8-10 week cadence refered to “updates”, which was unspecified what exactly that would mean / contain.
So they could have released just acorns in Feb 2023, and fulfill the “letter of the law” That would be silly.

By late March 2023, we would have gotten more than 50% of the promised season pass content, after only 4 months since launch.

So everyone complaining, give your balls a tug.

-t

• Upvote 6
  • Like 2

@everyone

I don’t know who watches the news anymore, or the average age for the gamers present here but….. at what point in the last two/three years has the expectation of immediate gratification been a realistic expectation?

I’m surprised HTL is still a functioning company after all of the small business tragedy in the last two years.  Not because of their choices, but because of poor government policy combined with a massive wealth transfer to the biggest companies currently in existence.  
I’m  happy just to continue getting anymore content to this game, I figured it was over and episode 5 would never come to fruition.  

If there was a justifiable perception of lack of effort/customer abuse on the part of HTL, all these negative comments would be permissible.  But really, guys? 
At this point in the 2023 post pandemic market system, this should be EXPECTED.
HTL will make the final product promised, they’ve clearly demonstrated that in the last decade; but it will take time, it will take patience, it will take understanding, it will take support.

Try logging these complaints with a company like Nintendo, see how much they care. And I own a Nintendo switch, imagine my disappointment.  

now, get positive!

image.png.7b999712607091bf722dbc2c82b573c6.png

• Upvote 7
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, turtle777 said:

Appreciate the update.

I don't see this as a major deviation from what had been announced for the season pass. The Season Pass was to include 3 MAJOR Updates (3 Parts) over the course of 12 months. That meant that MAJOR updates could be up to 6 months apart.

Part #1 (Forsaken Airfield) launched in Dec 2022. 12 Months would conclude in Nov 2023. Therefore, if Part #3 launched in Nov 2023, Part #2 would sit somehwere between Dec 2022 and Nov 2023. Getting it late March / early April 2023 does not seem late.

The 8-10 week cadence refered to “updates”, which was unspecified what exactly that would mean / contain.
So they could have released just acorns in Feb 2023, and fulfill the “letter of the law” That would be silly.

By late March 2023, we would have gotten more than 50% of the promised season pass content, after only 4 months since launch.

So everyone complaining, give your balls a tug.

-t

New favorite comment

Vor 22 Minuten sagte Semple Fi:

@alle

Ich weiß nicht mehr, wer die Nachrichten sieht, oder das Durchschnittsalter der hier anwesenden Spieler, aber….. zu welchem Zeitpunkt in den letzten zwei/drei Jahren war die Erwartung einer sofortigen Befriedigung eine realistische Erwartung?

Ich bin überrascht, dass HTL nach all der Tragödie der Kleinunternehmen in den letzten zwei Jahren immer noch ein funktionierendes Unternehmen ist. Nicht wegen ihrer Entscheidungen, sondern wegen der schlechten Regierungspolitik, kombiniert mit einem massiven Vermögenstransfer an die größten Unternehmen, die es derzeit gibt.  
Ich bin froh, einfach weiterhin Inhalte für dieses Spiel zu bekommen, ich dachte, es wäre vorbei und Episode 5 würde nie verwirklicht werden.  

Bei einem berechtigten Eindruck von Untätigkeit/Kundenmissbrauch teilweise HTL wären all diese negativen Äußerungen zulässig. Aber wirklich, Jungs? 
An diesem Punkt im Marktsystem nach der Pandemie 2023 sollte dies ERWARTET werden.
HTL wird das versprochene Endprodukt herstellen, das haben sie im letzten Jahrzehnt deutlich bewiesen; aber es WIRD Zeit brauchen, es WIRD Geduld brauchen, es WIRD Verständnis brauchen, es WIRD Unterstützung brauchen.

Besser Sie, diese Beschwerden bei einem Unternehmen wie Nintendo zu melden, sehen Sie, wie sehr sie sich darum kümmern. Und ich besitze einen Nintendo Switch, stellen Sie sich meine Enttäuschung vor.  

Jetzt werde ich positiv!

image.png.7b999712607091bf722dbc2c82b573c6.png

Ich gebe dir absolut recht und freue mich auf den 15.März 

PS. Bleibt gesund.🙋‍♂️

Edited by Eli
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, turtle777 said:

Yep, pretty much my thoughts. They could just release something trivial within the 10 weeks and call that an update, there's no firm dates for specific features. I much rather play only 2 or 3 updates in between the initial and final version, that actually have enough content to actually produce a difference in gameplay, than to get a couple new items every two months, then have the new cycle of bugs and bugfixing that comes with it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, turtle777 said:

Part #1 (Forsaken Airfield) launched in Dec 2022. 12 Months would conclude in Nov 2023. Therefore, if Part #3 launched in Nov 2023, Part #2 would sit somehwere between Dec 2022 and Nov 2023. Getting it late March / early April 2023 does not seem late

What??? Where exactly did they say this "3 Parts" / "3 Major Updates" thing? The only 3 we know is that there are to be 3 new regions but that's it.

Edited by Mistral

WHAT IS IT?

TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY is the paid Expansion Pass to TLD's Survival Mode. It represents a 12-month update campaign, featuring the release of 6 large Parts (roughly one every 8-10 weeks).

Please keep in mind that priorities may change over the course of development, so while we will deliver the entire listed roadmap by the end of the campaign, we've left some open slots to be filled based on community feedback and development progress, and also we may need to move some things around from one Part to another based on how development unfolds.

Edited by hozz1235
  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1

No point arguing , we'll get it when we get it...it's not going to change or solve anything..  

Sure I'm a bit disappointed I have to wait for a month but I'm not going to quabble about it..    

I actually need some ideas for something to do while I wait as I can't settle into a proper run until after the update....  So if anyone has any experiments or anything they want testing just give me a shout.

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, The Riddler said:

No. It's a tradition. Each episode did not come out on time. There have always been postponements.

The DLC is different than the episodes.  Just because something has been in the past, you can guarantee it will happen in the future?  Try to be more optimistic - you'll be happier. 

Need more details, please.

• Enhanced Prepper Bunkers

Will be bunkers get only  visual refresh, will be containers IDs be migrate to a new "location"?
I'm afraid that if in-game logic says - "all doors is portals to another world", does this mean that already looted bunker will disappear and will be replaced by new one as not visited? If so what about some stuff stored by player at bunker before update? 

Edited by TylerSky

17 hours ago, Pencil said:

I thought fire-hardened arrows were going to be added to the free version; the roadmap shows that we will get fire-hardened arrows without buying the expansion pack. Is this still true? Will it be released to us without the DLC later in the future? 

Thank you for replying. This was an error, and we have updated the lists to reflect that Fire-Hardened Arrows will appear as part of the free updates for anyone who owns THE LONG DARK or SURVIVAL EDITION. Thank you! 

• Upvote 5
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I actually need some ideas for something to do while I wait as I can't settle into a proper run until after the update....  So if anyone has any experiments or anything they want testing just give me a shout.

I've picked up The Forest - not a bad survival game.  Really similar to Green Hell.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Pencil said:

I thought fire-hardened arrows were going to be added to the free version; the roadmap shows that we will get fire-hardened arrows without buying the expansion pack. Is this still true? Will it be released to us without the DLC later in the future? 

We made a correction to the post -- we can confirm that the Fire-Hardened Arrows will be part of the free update. Thank you for reaching out! 

• Upvote 6
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

I've picked up The Forest - not a bad survival game.  Really similar to Green Hell.

Thanks but not sure it's my thing....   I have got a few other games I play but I always enjoy playing tld to unwind .   I'll have a look though..

• Upvote 2

Btw, with the prepper bunkers could you please make it so we get these on Interloper too? I don't mean the full loot. Just the locations, but make them empty instead of removing the whole thing. I'd still look for them.

I also hope we get some of the clothing items on Interloper. Already disappointed that it doesn't include the improved storm lantern, although that wouldn't have changed the overall balance at all. Only having the basic lantern doesn't make the game more difficult.

• Upvote 4

41 minutes ago, Serenity said:

Only having the basic lantern doesn't make the game more difficult.

Just slightly:  The Spelunker's Lantern is 40% more efficient than the Storm Lantern, burning Lantern Fuel at a slower rate than the normal variant. As a minor downside, the Spelunker Lantern's light radius is somewhat smaller than the standard storm lantern.