What would you like to see in TLD or TLD 2

Michael1986

Originally this post was named

What do you think the biggest problem with Long Dark is but I failed to get my messeage across as I wanted to talk about how to improve the game

so I editted it

I just would like to ask people what could be done to improve this game

Edited by Michael1986

• Michael1986 changed the title to What do you think Long Dark's biggest problem is
2 hours ago, Michael1986 said:

because the enire game is around this idea:you want to survive because you wanna survive

I'm not sure I see the problem here. Isn't it the same with being alive IRL? You just want to be alive because you want to be alive. It's how we are wired by evolution to prefer that state to the "not being" state. All the goals and purpose in life are what you choose for yourself (or choose not to choose).
You can do the same in the game, and choose your own goals (or not).

I do personally like, that TLD allows me to choose whatever I want to do next, instead of holding my hand and telling me to "chop 10 branches for wood", "collect 10000 calories of food", "find all Cairns", etc... It offers "achievements" , for when I want to pursue a goal, but neither of them are mandatory.

Edited by AdamvR
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Michael1986 said:

in my opinion at least the biggest problem with Long Dark's Survival Mode is a lack of point

There are plenty of enjoyable "points"  in TLD if you like survival games. Level up fishing, find the tools you need, cure your first gut, kill your first moose, craft and find unique items, loot the plane on TWM summit, craft a bow, fill your endgame base with all the stuff you could possibly need, learn how to safely go head to head with wolves. Not everyone enjoys tasks like these but if you do there are hundreds of hours worth of gaming within a single playthrough. 

• Upvote 1

• Michael1986 changed the title to What would you like to see in TLD or TLD 2

I agree with @manolitode, I think just finding new challenges and like @AdamvRmentions just, live is kind of the point. And it’s done well. Make a challenge for yourself, survive for 30 days in Ash Canyon, only use animal fur clothing, only use the first tool you find of that tool and maintain it, if it breaks it’s done.

there are a bunch of ways to make what’s there better, you don’t always need the developers to hold your hand.

In a sequel I would love to just expand what they’ve got though and I would like craftable items that take more time to craft. Either for accessing other regions or just to improve other tools. Or just more parts that may require more exploring/searching to find.

A demolition kit to open a collapsed path, repair a generator so a lift works during the aurora which requires a specific skill level as well, things of that nature. 

Scope for the rifle not just for hunting but spotting from higher elevations.

More options for the same tool. Candles, thermos, for example.

More craftable clothing options. Like using animal furs to improve existing clothing for stats to reduce having two items. Or giving you more protection to access more dangerous areas. 

Just to name a few 😶

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to see some creepy-ness. I thought about it, when I stood in Thomson's Crossing near the fire barrel. I thought, how cool would it be, if the swing would move. TLD really has the potential (which doesn't mean, they have to use it for that) but Hinterland really build a crazy believable atmosphere. Building in some creepy things really is all needed to make a horror game. Maybe TLD 2 could be some horror, who knows.

• Upvote 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/29/2021 at 8:46 AM, Razum said:

I'd like to see some creepy-ness. I thought about it, when I stood in Thomson's Crossing near the fire barrel. I thought, how cool would it be, if the swing would move. TLD really has the potential (which doesn't mean, they have to use it for that) but Hinterland really build a crazy believable atmosphere. Building in some creepy things really is all needed to make a horror game. Maybe TLD 2 could be some horror, who knows.

I can not think of many things worse. 

There are lots of horror games to choose from if that's what you want.

The great thing about TLD is that is pseudo-realistic.  I hope HTL sticks to that style.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

From an aesthetic perspective, I'd honestly like to see less unnecessary destruction. I realize that sounds really funny in a survival type game, but it always confused me a bit why the island was in SUCH a state of disrepair. Almost every house is trashed beyond reason, some are literally falling to pieces/burned down/destroyed. There's absolutely no reason given beyond the scope of people fleeing because of the storms/animals/blizzards, but if I had to evacuate my house, even in an emergency I don't imagine I'd run through and ransack the entire thing, breaking everything (including my stove/television/windows) in the process. I'd honestly find the environment a lot more eerie and unnerving if it wasn't so destroyed. Imagine going into a house and seeing a meal set on the table, a bowl of old popcorn on the couch where the family was watching a movie, clothes laid out on a kid's dresser for school the following day. Life being lived, suddenly interrupted by this absolute need to abandon it and flee. It's reasonable to suggest a FEW houses might have been torn through by scavengers, but then those houses shouldn't have cabinets with groceries or meat in the fridge or blankets or medicine. I know it's a lot for the animators, but I think it would add more of an element of realism and immersion if things were less static and chaotic and there was just an energy of fresh and sudden abandonment. Also seems a little silly that every single home has the same pictures/decor, furniture and design. I realize making hundreds of alternatives would be a lot, but it always bugged me to no end that there's so little variance from place to place, especially when you go from one part of the island to another. 

Game play wise, I'd love to see more survival options incorporated - the ability to dig deeper into homesteading, rather than just nomadic bouncing from place to place in desperation. Cooking (really cooking, not just meat) would be nice -- there's no reason that people (esp if they left quickly) wouldn't have things like flour/salt/baking goods/preserved foods/seasoning/herbs in their homes. Same with things like heartier vegetables (potatoes, beets, carrots) and more varied canned goods (beans, stews, soups). Being able to make food and preserve it (drying racks, for instance) would be a great way to maintain the survival feel with a little less monotony. Same with actual structures and tools - fixing up cabins/homes (patching holes, cleaning up messes, straightening/moving shelves, repairing broken furniture/cabinets), creating water-catching systems, traps for bigger animals, making more clothing and survival gear. These are all things that would add in a feeling of customization that might break up the staleness that comes from playing for too long. Nomadic life would still be possible, but for those who prefer to settle, it would be a fun new challenge, creating something livable. 

And I would absolutely love to see the option to remove the dead from abandoned buildings/base areas (and potentially the option to properly dispose of them through burying/pyres) - it's so sad to see these bodies just sitting there, frozen in place... Putting them to rest would give an element of humanity to them (and to you as a character) and add a nice bit of closure (particularly for those who have 'stories' in letters and gear and such, which you could choose to leave at their graves as memorials). Not to mention it would open up more areas to homestead in without having Dead Fred sitting all creepy and corpsified in the corner of your new bedroom.

• Upvote 8

• 1 year later...
On 4/27/2021 at 1:36 PM, Stinky socks said:

Animations.

NPCs.

I was thinking about this earlier today actually.  If TLD were more of a continuation of the Wintermute group… I.e. digging more into the original storyline that we get as we piece together the history of Great Bear. We have so many characters and hints of other NPC’s through the mementos. If Great Bear was inhabited for the storyline, albeit sparsely, how about a time based storyline where characters slowly die off the longer you survive? Or have some NPC’s become more resourceful as time passes, basically “last man standing”.  They would use resources and have to forage the same as you, which leaves less resources over time.  

I’d also like to see some things that really just seem to be missing from a settlement, even a rural community like Great Bear.  Where’s the hospital? Where’s the Fire Department or other city infrastructure?

Perhaps, instead of an entirely different game to incorporate NPC’s and such, maybe a future DLC? @Admin 😊

But it would be awesome to play as Molly, or Jace, or Jeremiah, etc. and get to experience the collapse of Great Bear and the beginning of The Long Dark in a Wintermute 2.0.  But from their perspective. 

• Upvote 1

What I'd like to see added in The Long Dark

• Better animal animations and pathfinding
  • A bear spear
  • Adjusted item weights that make sense
  • Items not passing through each other when dropped, but stacking in piles (as well as the ability to place items on other items)

What I'd like to see added in The Long Dark 2 (can't be added into the game as it is now)

• Accumulating snow that deforms when you walk on it (if you go too deep, you'll be unable to continue moving forward)
  • Complex animal interactions (a group of wolves surrounding a moose and killing it, eating it until a bear shows up, both trying to intimidate eachother, wolves losing, and bear taking the moose for itself)
  • Swimming
  • Legs
  • Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Semple Fi said:

@Ghurcb yeah I would love to get the spear added, that’s been on the community wish list for a LONG time! 

Why legs?

@Leeanda Like, what happened on the mainland? What’s the best comparable city in Canada for that?

I was thinking of something like ,after earth,the Will smith film. Settings wise ,with snow of course. That's about as far as I'd got!😁.. I don't know Canada well enough to pick a city! Sorry guys!🙂

More harvesting and crafting from nature. Whether you add beavers or ducks, I'd love to have more animals, and more things to craft from the hides. Maybe seals on the ice? Though I guess seal hunting would ruffle a few feathers....

Maybe more open water and the possibility to craft a kayak or birch bark canoe?

Edited by Jotunheim
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jotunheim said:

More harvesting and crafting from nature. Whether you add beavers or ducks, I'd love to have more animals, and more things to craft from the hides. Maybe seals on the ice? Though I guess seal hunting would ruffle a few feathers....

Maybe more open water and the possibility to craft a kayak or birch bark canoe?

Never thought of the kayak option, realistically that should be something that could be salvaged in multiple areas like DP or CH.  Opening up some sea travel would be awesome though!

@Semple FiThat city would be either Vancouver or Victoria.

I would love it is snow depth played a factor.

There's more items that are common out here IRL that should be in the game, such as toboggans, snowshoes, skis, tarps.

Animal AI needs to be much better!

Food in cans shouldn't degrade (at least, it should be measured in years) and animal life is too plentiful, IMO. Hunting should be a game unto itself, more or less.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I was thinking of something like ,after earth,the Will smith film. Settings wise ,with snow of course. That's about as far as I'd got!😁.. I don't know Canada well enough to pick a city! Sorry guys!🙂

Perhaps use Seattle as the template.  Not quite Canada I know, but it would fit the bill.  Especially with the underground city that’s still accessible in some places.  I’ve been to Victoria but I don’t remember much in the way of “sky scrapers”.  Cool city though

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Kranium said:

@Semple FiThat city would be either Vancouver or Victoria.

I would love it is snow depth played a factor.

There's more items that are common out here IRL that should be in the game, such as toboggans, snowshoes, skis, tarps.

Animal AI needs to be much better!

Food in cans shouldn't degrade (at least, it should be measured in years) and animal life is too plentiful, IMO. Hunting should be a game unto itself, more or less.

Vancouver it is!!

• Like 1

Snow that accumulates, and drifts. I actually looked into this with an eye to trying to create a mod, but ... holy mackerel the math involved is truly out of this world. That said, I'm far from an expert and I'm sure there are people out there that could do a bang up job.

Rock climbing. I think rock climbing is a natural evolution for this game. Controller mechanisms would need some real thought. I've had some, including some that are "true" to the kind of interesting way locomotion is done in the game now. Given the game's setting (Canada's Western Cordillera archipelago off the coast of BC) rock climbing seems like a natural way to extend the game into new areas of game play. However, it's a challenging thing to think about given that you have to come up with control schemes that would work with keyboard & mouse as well as with console controllers. Done properly though and given the game's setting and beautiful art style I could see scaling the cliffs in AC or HRV as being a truly excellent addition to how we all get around.

I also think that it would be really great if the wildlife in the game functioned like a true ecosystem, even if a greatly simplified one. However, doing the animation and pathing for the animals in this scenario would be truly truly challenging, let alone dealing with actually simulating an ecosystem, though all the elements in the game are pretty much there in the region maps already.

Anyway, I've said all of these things before, and more besides. Even so, as it stands this is a great game, and I think it would be very cool for it to get wider exposure, not least because of the truly unique emotional headspace that it evokes in the player.

• Upvote 1