What is The Long Dark communities favorite region?

theisaactrain

What is your absolute favorite region?   

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is so hard to pick!! I really like the ones that are very open ground with great visibility. Coastal highway is awesome, so is pleasant valley! Mystery lake is also very tranquil! But I haven't explored stuff like hush valley and ash canyon, maybe I grow to liking those more?

Can you change votes?(haven't voted yet)

Ps-broken railroad is also awesome! Love that cabin on map end!

Totally agree with the underrating of PV. My favorite region by far. I only play interloper and deadman and my usual strategy is to make my base at the farmhouse because you have almost unlimited wood and you have as many as 2 bears you can just drop right at the porch door for unlimited easy risk free food plus deer right outside the door and rabbit a short walk away. Workbench and 6 burner stove- total dream house. Virtually Unlimited coal from the mine to CH too. 
For cabin fever I set up a second base- arguably my main base actually, at hilltop cave.  Again, you can drop up to 2 bear right at the entrance, set up rabbit traps to catch rabbits literally right outside the door and a deer spawn just past the blind, fishing hut across the creek to replenish the lantern, and wood everywhere with coal in the cave to ML.  It’s so incredibly easy to live indefinitely. Plus the flat landscape means you can cull wolves by easily sniping them with the bow from a safe distance. Even after just 300 days I have literally hundreds of hides, food supply that will last at least 3 months even if I stopped hunting, and and a stockpile of fuel that would last as long. I almost have as much time outdoors as indoors in fact because that cave is so ideal and  I haven’t used a match in months. 

Edited by Schrodingers Box
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Broken Railroad is where I always retire. Has everything I need. Only thing that would make it better is an ice fishing hut on the pond. Otherwise, yeah, it's a perfect spot to live out one's TLD twilight years. Lots of game, materials, large stove, workbenches, forge, the "outdoor" part of the Maintenance Shed to snipe wolves & stave off Cabin Fever, it's a beauty.

34 minutes ago, theisaactrain said:

So far no love for the Muskeg, (which in all honesty I expected), but what surprised me is the lack of love for DP, and MT. I think Milton is one of the easiest places to live in in all of Great Bear, and Desolation Point's well, Desolation is just awesome.

I never stay in MT for very long, mostly just for the loot and to get to HRV and the satchel. Too many wolves around, low visibility with all the houses, and too cramped in general. Rarely venture down to the lower half of the region though, so it always feels like a very small region to me :P

I really only play on Stalker, occasionally Interloper if I am on PC. 

22 hours ago, Schrodingers Box said:

For cabin fever I set up a second base- arguably my main base actually, at hilltop cave.

Have you considered making a snow shelter near the farmhouse?  If you repair it every couple days you only need a couple sticks.  And it sure cuts down on the commute.
even on Loper, with a bear sleeping bag, you should be good to sleep through the night in any weather out in your snow shelter.  

Timberwolf Mountain is my favorite region (as of the time of this post).  It's been my preferred location for long term survival.  I really love the variety of paths and terrain, as well as the abundance of game for hunting (in most cases you have good access to every kind of pelt).  Also, fishing... fishing is always good for the food stocks and lantern fuel. 

:coffee::fire::coffee:
However, an honorable mention goes to Mystery Lake.  When I first got into The Long Dark, Mystery Lake was the only region in the game at that point... so Mystery Lake will always feel like home to me. :)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 3

On 2/9/2021 at 4:29 PM, Bean said:

Have you considered making a snow shelter near the farmhouse?  If you repair it every couple days you only need a couple sticks.  And it sure cuts down on the commute.
even on Loper, with a bear sleeping bag, you should be good to sleep through the night in any weather out in your snow shelter.  

Why bother with a snow shelter or the cave? If you've got a bear sleeping bag, just sleep in the car.

Pleasant Valley for me too by the way.

I think it really is mostly for the nostalgia, or because of my deep familiarity with the region, but I always somehow end up back at Mystery lake. I guess it is cause of my attachment to it since the early days of Alpha of the game.

But I dont really have a "favourite" per say. Almost all the regions have their charm, and I find myself spending some extended period of time in most of them. I think the least time i spend are actually the Desolation point, Coastal highway and broken highway. Think it is just because of my PTSD from the earlier versions of the game, and from my Interloper games. I would always die in these regions because of all the wolves in those areas, and sometimes a limited field of view. Somehow that is not an issue for me in places like Hushed river valley. Dont know why.

I just had a lovely trip into desolation point!! What a drag!! I had so much trouble with wolves and I consider myself a newbie expert on these dogs!!

First deer runs off with my arrow in his foot, never to be found because all blood tracks intersected to hell because I also shot a wolf that ran off.

Then I went to the Ripken to make some arrows and turns out, whatever coal was left over doesn't bring furnace to 270°F.🙄🙄🙄😒trip to the mines it is.

On my way there, another wolf, then a bear. I dodged them like ace, but getting to the mine, I wasn't sure I got enough coal, so I had to sleep in there for a while so coal respawn again.

Anyways, got my furnace fired up and I was so mad that i ended up doing 52 arrow heads in one go! Not sure how that happened, but i couldn't hear furnace anymore, starving, exhausted and hungry to the point my health bar was shrinking, but Astrid kept on chugging!! Must be a bug. I was glad though. 52 heads all at once?!!🤗

And with all this, I haven't even gotten to explore the whale warehouses yet and those other buildings. Just trying to survive at the lighthouse.

What a depressing place it is. I can see why no one likes it.😒

Edited by Stinky socks

I am actually heading towards ash canyon via timberwolf mountain. Just arrived from pleasant valley. It was a long trip from coastal highway. Got bit by wolf one time and killed wolf second time during aurora. Creepiest glowing eyes, but I fed him lead like a champ:)

Hopefully I like what I see and this won't be my tomb! Pic from in-game last night:

screen_1798a641-21c8-4a29-a0bf-64404e3e01d2_hi.thumb.jpg.9d14110d40326f52ebcce91afc5562ee.jpg

Edit: AGHH!!! I forgot arrow heads back in coastal highway😫

Edited by Stinky socks
  • Like 1

Thank you @Bean, I decided to go back last night (to coastal highway) and grab some extra supplies(heavy hammer to break fishing hole and prybar and revolver and my arrow heads). Using hatchet to break fishing hole uses like 5%😫only did it once and decided it is not going to cut it(pun).

I actually really like TWM at the moment! Feels so isolated and tense and that little hut by the lake is fantastic! I actually like the absence of loading screen! It is colder though and save occurs after I sleep only, so I have to take a nap if i want to end playing for the day.

Hoping to get a lot of fantastic screengrabs! 

PS -really loving that F10 key! It renders screenshot in 2160p and no UI!:) what a great idea!

Edited by Stinky socks
Spelling bee!!