Ash Canyon - Very Tough

Ahatch

I found it. The charcoal map in that area really isn't helping much. Sure it's difficult to do topography in 3D, but it could be done better

EDIT: And now the other side is missing a rope to get down. Gah! Why do you have to be like that Hinterland? It might be goatable, but barely

That rope climb may be unnecessary though. I found a tree bridge near the Climber's Cave that may lead back to Pillar's Footrest. So maybe it's possible to get up there simple by walking. I didn't explore further though as I was it was getting foggy and dark

Edited by Serenity

I've made it to Angler's Hut and spent a night there. It's not a bad place to use as a safe house, IMO. You've got all the basic necessities there; a stove, bed, and workbench, and there doesn't seem to be too many wolves around it.

The only thing that I am finding a bit annoying about this region is: the weather. With a 70-something day old Stalker, I'm literally getting a blizzard every 6-8 hours!

1 hour ago, Serenity said:

That rope climb may be unnecessary though. I found a tree bridge near the Climber's Cave that may lead back to Pillar's Footrest. So maybe it's possible to get up there simple by walking. I didn't explore further though as I was it was getting foggy and dark

Yes, it is possible. I went up the rope to Runaway Bridge and turned out there was no rope attached to go down to Climber's Cave. So I backtracked all the way to Pillar's Footrest to the Cave System and rested there for the night.

The next day, I was wondering around hills near the Cave System and found my way to the Climber's Cave - without climbing any rope. Luckily, unlike the other outdoor caves in AC, that Climber's Cave was warm enough to sleep in without a fire (on Interloper).

Exploring Ash Canyon is interesting.  I was around 300 days into a Voyager game in which I had not ventured into TWM.  This seemed an ideal opportunity to visit TWM then find Ash Canyon.  I carefully avoided spoilers to give me a few clues, and off I went into TWM.

I thought of two or three places in TWM which might lead to the canyon, but after checking the first, negatively, I developed a problem, my only hacksaw broke, so I had to change priorities and sort out that problem.  Eventually I got back on track and found the canyon. Because it was a 300+ day game I had good skills and resources, which was a big help, but I still had a hard time.

Initially I struggled with food.  The countryside was very bleak, burnt forest and I couldn't find any animals to kill for food, but I survived.  After I got around that problem I found some fascinating terrain to explore.   After climbing rope after rope I found a mine with useful goodies. That bit was very good.

In spite of feeling I have explored far I have no sense of the layout of the region/map.  I have no idea what to do next.

Ok, I found a whole other path up there that offers some nice shelter. Plus it takes you along some cat tails and other loot

I explored that in reverse wonder what was beyond that bridge. But it's really meant as a way up. You go past that lake-y area and you come across a kind of tunnel where you need to crouch. Past a cave, over a bridge and up a relatively short rope. The whole path climbs up, so the rope isn't as long as from the bottom up.

Below the rope is also another cave and this is actually a tunnel that leads below. Presumably into the canyon that started at Shattered Grove. But I didn't explore that

So the climb that leads you to the spot with the missing rope is a complete trap :)

Ash Canyon.jpg

Edited by Serenity

I was mistaken that was a regular  wolf :) Spent the evening exploring and I've covered pretty much the whole map just have to explore a little bit by the climbers cave and have pretty much covered all the main spots .... I think . Really big map and actually impressed with the amount of places. I'm playing pilgrim so I'm encumbered as usual. I'm not sure this would be a good starting map for interloper but might be a cool place to loot and maybe stay at the miners folly and eat bear meat. Fishing hut is a little rough and not sure you would want stay up fishing all night then rope climb up to the cabin. 

6 minutes ago, Ahatch said:

Fishing hut is a little rough and not sure you would want stay up fishing all night then rope climb up to the cabin. 

It's a really short climb. Shouldn't be an issue. Marsh Ridge in FM has a similar situation though there is an alternate path there.

I generally disagree with the idea that this is a map that you loot and leave. You can do that, but it's quite a nice place to live, even on higher difficulties. And lots of birch saplings so there is an incentive to cover more of the map than just the gold mine. Fire wood could be a bit of a problem long term though.

• Upvote 1

For interloper though you are a long way from the forge so not a great starting point but for sure once you have arrow heads it would be a good place to go. I have  a 500 day interloper survivor in Bleak Inlet right now . Thinking of sending her there after a while for a new adventure :) 

My problem on fishing is I always fish until I'm pretty much exhausted so even that short rope climb might be a problem LOL would have to make sure I sleep a bit in the fishing hut I guess before climbing up. 

Few observations:

• not much wild life; longer term, food could become a problem
  • surprisingly few wolves
  • after exploring about 2/3 of AC, I have not seen a single reishi mushroom. Odd.
  • firewood could indeed be an issue longer-term, if sticks are not enough.
  • How do you "use" the cramp-ons. Are they automatically used if you have them in your inventory ?
  • That damn stealthy moose

-t

Still having some issues getting to the one wood bridge that looks broken near the Anglers Hut . I have crossed all the others but this one is elusive so far. I took the rope climb up near the chasm cave but couldn't see a way to get to this one area. Lots of renshi mushrooms on this map. 

I'd say the 3 key elements for visiting this region is coal, warm clothing, and a bedroll. In that order. Although if you start your run in that region the warm clothing aren't the biggest need. If you have a decent amouny of coal though, like 20, the region is really not harder than TM or HRV. The main difference is the caves since they don't feature a 2 level temp...

I stay away from those outdoor caves in AC once I've looted them - they are a total trap on Interloper. 

Meanwhile, there are actually a couple of outdoor spots in AC that can keep you warm without a fire (similar warmth bonus to two-layer caves) and also cure hides/guts/saplings. The cavelet near the Wolf's Jaw Overlook and Climber's Cave are some examples (there are many more if you explore enough) - I managed to sleep through the whole night w/o a fire while the blizzard is ongoing with just 22°C clothing warmth and a normal bedroll. And this was on Interloper.

So the cabin (Homestedder’s Respite) above the destroyed fishing hut is reachable by goating up there from the East.  It’s not a particularly difficult goat session, either, as I did it several times to carry moose meat and that dam heavy moose hide up there.  I think it will make a comfy base.  With a fully cooked moose, a relatively short easy hike to the crafting table at Anglers Rest, sparse wolves, and unlimited fishing in the hut down the hill, this place just got put on my “retirement” shortlist.  Can’t think of an easier place to survive long term.  There is a shallow cave in between to spend some days making sure you don’t get cabin fever. 

• Like 1

i am appreciative for a new map of course but a little disappointed with ash canyon.  it feels like a one off expedition or puzzle, to find the krampons/backpack (i assume both of them are here) then turn tail and never visit again.  I enjoy the long term options, places that are fun to settle for a couple weeks/months, then move to the next.  I have played a few hours on pilgrim and have yet to find what I'm looking for.  The caves are cold, there isnt a ton of comfortable living spaces, and the travel is arduous.  I forsee myself coming up with a very pointed plan of attack on my loper run and getting in and out, with new toys nonetheless, but I cant see why I would ever return.  

22 minutes ago, odium said:

it feels like a one off expedition or puzzle 

It doesn't have to be. There are four huts you can live in - one of them is being less suitable as it lacks a fireplace. There are crafting tables. There is fishing. It may not fit your playstyle, but it's perfectly viable to stay there for a while.

Caves are a bit weird compared to other caves. But then I always found it strange that all caves are magically warm in the back. And there is at least one outdoor cave that's warm.

Ash Canyon also has tons of saplings. In long runs that makes it worth exploring more corners of it.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Got about 20 hours into Ash Canyon now.  Pilgrim but still gotta be careful as I am 450 days in and want to get to 500. Found 1 rifle and 1 pistol there.  Figured out 2 routes to the Mine. Killed 1 bear and 2 wolves.  There are deer and bunnies as well.  Found the 4 livable dwellings and all are pretty good.  Crampons certainly aid in the climbing and steep terrain.  New favourite gear.  Took me a few to figure out how to used them.

The swinging bridges are "fun".  Definitely gotta concentrate on those.  

Found the polaroid but not the vista from the polaroid yet.  Still more exploring to do.

Big improvement on the shadows and shading.  Very noticeable and welcomed.

Few observations

1. Many of the matches near the footbridges are floating in the air.

2. I can't loot the dead body at the miners cabins.  I can walk right through it.

3. A few places stopped me dead in my tracks and I had difficulty getting out of (top of the cliff overlooking the mine, inside the wooden structure). Had to crouch/stand etc to work my way out.

Once I hit 500 days I think I will go try living there for a month or so.  I believe it is certainly doable.

Excellent update to the game.  Many, many thanks, Hinterland!