Ash Canyon - Very Tough

Ahatch

Today I done a couple test runs on the new region on Pilgrim. Have to say just moving around exploring I died within a couple days because the regions weather is harsh and if your cloths are crappy you die pretty fast and that includes Pilgrim. I may have seen things but I thought I saw a timber wolf near the cabin. Crossing those swinging bridges is quite the trip I must say. Looks like a cool region , didn't see a bear or moose on my 3 runs. Didn't find much for manmade structures so far and didn't find the mentioned mine.  

pilgrem.png

shatteredcove.png

I’ve been mapping it on pilgrim. Spotted a moose that started storming it’s feet so I ran away, (will moose stomp your bawls on pilgrim?) found a fishing hut and a little shack. There’s new types of caves and narrow canyons linking different areas. 
The weather has been fairly bad and there seems to be a new type of mistyness going on, different from fog.

• Like 1

Much like the hushed river valley (and maybe bleak inlet), this region is mainly for exploration, grab whatever loot it has and leave. It's not meant to set up base or whatever. This is good and bad. Good because it's new region to visit, get loot, etc. Bad because it's one-time experience. As in, there's no reason to come back to this region, ever.

I actually found the gold mine on my first try. It was a pretty straight route if you knew it. I just followed canyons and features like paths and climbs. Overall it's very complicated though. I have no idea where anything is in relation to other stuff. And if you explore one route and see where it takes you, you end up somewhere else entirely. So it's difficult to try alternatives.

Contrary to HRV there are actually some nice huts to live in. And there are crafting benches.

Visually it's great. Some nice new world features like the hanging bridges or rock ledges (even behind a waterfall). There are some mountain goating opportunities. Even one path that seems to be intended as such - not overly steep but clearly a one way trip

Edited by Serenity

Went to recce this region on my 700-day Voyager run before bringing my Interloper survivor there, and I'd say, this region is very huge and way more complexed than HRV. Took me 9 in-game days just to charcoal map the key locations in Faithful Cartographer journal.

One thing I noticed is that the outdoor caves in this region barely keep you above freezing (on Voyager), and can't be used to cure hides/saplings too. Not sure if bugged or intended, but this could be a problem on Interloper since there are not many indoor locations to warm up while travelling.

Oh wow, there are actually two (at least) connections between TWM and AC

One is in Deer Clearing. When I read "far side" this is pretty much what I expected. But there is another connector in Echo Ravine under the fallen tree bridge that takes you to Bitter Marsh

I spent a couple irl hours here just trying to find the mine. I have probably played less than 4 hours of this game in the last 4-5 months, so I did a few very stupid things, like: Drink 0.1L of unpotable water, and guess what? I got dycentary. I also climbed up a rope, to realize the rope lead to literally nothing, so I had to climb back down and use up the rest of my wood to sleep. I'm gonna take another crack at it today though. I believe i'm at the complete wrong side of the region to where to coal mine is though. Oh well, more exploring for me!

My first and so far only experience with this region was at the tail end of the Darkwalker challenge. I gotta say, that's the way to go. Finishing up the challenge in a completely unfamiliar region where I can't even use knowledge of the area to my advantage made for a much more intense finale.

I mean I still won of course, because it's me. ;)

• Like 1

I started a new character in Ash Valley, spawned next to a transition cave.  Freezing of course.  Got a fair bit explored including finding a moose and a rope climb up to a cliff side pathway that led to a snow shelter that was good enough to protect my naked ass from the cold if I slept.  Only had like 20 minutes to play before work this morning so I left him there.  If anyone wants to know where this is, just follow the left hand wall from the cave transition... not sure which cave.  

zone seems extremely large and twisty. I’d love to get a map of it!  There was also a very risky looking fallen log path down a hole in the cliffs to the ashy valley.  Criss crossed logs leading down.  I went up some more instead. 

17 minutes ago, Murpharoo said:

No "warm area" in the back of outdoor caves - can't cure items in the back of caves either ?

I wonder if it is as intended but it seems strange that these caves behave differently to caves in other regions...

Nope, I was able to stay above freezing on Voyager due to forgiving weather and good clothing but just brought my Interloper survivor there and checked one of the outdoor caves again - still freezing no matter where I stand inside the cave.

Gotta start a long fire to keep warm if you want to stay throughout the night. This might be a slight problem for Interlopers to travel around in AC since you can't use these caves to warm up without a fire.

My experience so far taking my 550 day interloper character...
Arrive to a blizzard (lasts 8 hours)
Next day weather poor but i set off.  Find a cave that is not warm.  Had to turn back as another blizzard hit (blizzard now going on 5+hours)

Im in the entrance from Deer clearing on twm.  Where is the other entrance on twm?

43 minutes ago, Glassmoustache said:

My experience so far taking my 550 day interloper character...
Arrive to a blizzard (lasts 8 hours)
Next day weather poor but i set off.  Find a cave that is not warm.  Had to turn back as another blizzard hit (blizzard now going on 5+hours)

Im in the entrance from Deer clearing on twm.  Where is the other entrance on twm?

The other entrance is via Echo Ravine but turn right instead of left.

I'm making my way to where the new gear is, one of the choke points was blocked by a pack of 4 wolves, killed 2 and ran from the rest. Continued my journey and just as I stepped onto the rope bridge, a blizzard starts to hit (god, I love Interloper) and now I'm stuck in a cavelet that's actually warm. Just waiting for the blizzard to end...

I have started a much more cautious Pilgrim run and have now mapped out most of the new region just a couple rope bridges I need to cross but overall I really like this map. I will say it feels bigger than Hushed River Valley maybe because it's just new and once I'm used to all the paths it will seem smaller. Currently at the Miner's Folly buildings and working my way back the way I came in hoping I can find the way to the mine. 

• Upvote 1

The mine was difficult to find for me, I circled around the map 3, maybe 4 times trying to find it. A rope didn't spawn for me where I believe you accessed the first rope bridge,  I can't remember the name, it's near that broken fishing shack. But anyway, yeah there are two ways to get to the mine. Of course, the most obvious way is the rope bridges, but there's one less obvious one. It's pretty hard to find, so I'm not going to spoil anything for you.  

My thoughts so far:

I brought in my well-equipped 1900+ Voy character.  First transition I found was near Deer Clearing (not Echo Ravine).  Wow, this zone is massive!  But...it seems like it's mostly empty space!  I've explored, I'm guessing, 70% of the zone so far and very little loot.  A moderate amount of harvestables.  I recently found a long narrow gorge with an abundance of them though, including 9 willows, YES!

I've encountered 1 moose and 1 wolf (at the ruined fishing shack).  I've found the 2nd transition to TWM and am currently trying to figure out how to get to the "gold mine"(?) as other's have mentioned.  I could see it up on the cliff near the fishing shack and is taunting me!

I think there are at least three ways to the mine. You can get there without the huge rope climbs, but also without going via Miner's Folly. But I'm still trying to figure my way around.

On Pilgrim at least there are a ton of saplings. If you run out of arrows it's the place to be

I could see it up on the cliff near the fishing shack and is taunting me

That's not the mine. Just some hut

Edited by Serenity
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

I could see it up on the cliff near the fishing shack and is taunting me!

Oh my friend, that is not the mine. You have to trek far past there. Once you get up there, and climb another rope you have to go past many rope bridges to get to the mine. There's also another way to the mine, but it's hard to find. Good luck getting to the mine, it's worth it!

This map shows two ways:

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/intothelongdark/images/b/bf/Ash_Canyon_Route._Red_is_Faster%2C_Black_is_Intended.PNG

On my first blind attempt I just went up an incline right of Broad Falls, behind the falls, along some ledges, possibly through a cave (can't remember) and ended up at Wolf's Jaw Overlook. It was a very linear path, but I can't remember the exact details. And then I went down in what seemed like an intended goating route - even had a corpse. I didn't visit Miner's Folly. Saw it from high up and wondered how to get there. There was a probably a path and I missed it

It seems like the long route goes via High Meadow and Miner's Folly. I'm currently trying to find the way up there and failing. There is supposed to be a rope climb near Runaway Bridge, but it's elusive.

Edited by Serenity