Male or Female?  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

he does? I mean I think it would be cool to have some differences, like Astrid consumes fewer calories, Will carries more, etc. I will have to check it out. If there is a difference there I wonder what other differences there are?

It seems to me, that putting any kind of gender bias into gameplay would likely to open a can of worms that quickly leads to a lot of hostile (and potentially toxic) in-fighting in the community.  I think it's wiser to simply let the vocal performances convey any differentiation/characterization rather than attaching gameplay value to one or the other...   In an age where folks seem to hunt for things to be offended by (or by proxy for) that's it's just not a good idea.

:coffee::fire:

[Addendum]
:D Kind of reminded me of this scene:
tumblr_nr185plfBK1u5tn07o2_500.jpg.3dae5fdaaf96a8e7db547c1b7eccb15b.jpg

Here is what the Admins had to say about that subject in the past (link included):
"To answer the original question, there are no game mechanics differences between the two options (Male or Female) when picking your survivor.
Discussions of what those differences could/should/would be, tend to go off the rails and never end anywhere useful. Thus to preempt anyone getting themselves into trouble we're going to lock this thread.
"

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1
17 hours ago, PhoenixB said:

Because Will has a bigger carrying capacity!

No he doesn't.

:coffee::fire:
Here is what the Admins had to say about that subject in the past (link included):
"To answer the original question, there are no game mechanics differences between the two options (Male or Female) when picking your survivor."

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

Please be careful here people. While stating your preference is okay we don’t want this to move to a debate about which is better. Given that there’s no gameplay difference it’s all a subjective matter of taste. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I played a mix of male and female for a long time -- with voice volume slider completely off.  Hinterland removed that setting around the time of the 1.0 launch so I was listening to the voice acting again.  I found I liked the female better (except where it was repetitive "I hope no one needs this") for the reasons others have already mentioned.  As an experienced player the non-verbal cues aren't helpful (and sometimes they are an unwelcome distraction  * lip-smacking when thirsty *) so I was thrilled when they brought the voice volume slider back. 

I usually play as Will as it's habit. The only time I ever played as Astrid was episode 3 of Wintermute. Nothing against the character or the voice actors as they both have done an amazing job providing their voices but I've never liked her voice and the way she said things. I mean Will gets on my nerves too lol but Astrid has just grated on my nerves more :D 

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok so I’ve always played as female whenever possible in whatever game. Not so unusual, even as a male, but I was doing so cause I was trans and it was one of the few ways to express who I really was. Including in TLD. Likely sounds silly to those who aren’t me. However I now am transitioning, and live openly as myself, so I play as female now because that Still is what I am.

Since this thread I've taken the time to really look to see which char I like better. Astrid's hands are better, for me, at throwing rocks at bunnies because they block less of your view. It's pretty minor of course but it exists.

Also I guess I play with no survivor monologue most of the time so it really doesn't make much difference with me.

Edited by odizzido