If I Play on Interloper Will I Find This Challenging at All?

Pharose

I prefer to play Survival Mode on Interloper Difficulty. Will I find this game mode challenging at all? I'm only 1 hour into my game so far and I've got tons of good loot and I already got to the point where I'm warmer in this mode than my interloper games. Is the temperature going to plummet pretty soon or is this going to a cake-walk for an experienced play like myself?

Other than the early game (first 5 days) I doubt you'll struggle having done interloper (and assuming you know the maps well). I made a bone head mistake of climbing down two ropes in MT without my bedroll or a food source. The truck was too cold to rest, and the wind made putting a fire around impossible. (Luckily I had an energy drink & some coffee to get me up that rope (I was freezing, losing health, and exhausted after i made it back up. 

So, if you dont make bonehead mistakes, you shouldnt have a problem.

Yep, it's Interloper weather, but Voyager loot and wildlife. Indoors are colder than normal Interloper, but the massive available clothing loot table offsets any trouble here. Basically, it's Easyloper.

I don't think the events (4DoN as well), are made or intended to be just for the elites.  I think they are made for the wider audience to be able to play and be a little challenged by.  The folks who have dedicated their time to mastering interloper or tuning custom settings to be even harsher... then naturally those folks are going to find the standard challenges and events to be easy.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
If you are one of those folks... then I'd suggest adding your own extra rules & provisos, and turn the event into your own personal challenge.
Player choice is very powerful at the changing the experience you have in this game. :)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 4
  • Like 1

The beauty of this event is that there's a built-in goal for more experienced players too. I'm currently syrup hunting. Still have no clue where they might hide that golden nectar of the gods out at Hushed River Valley, but I'm sure I'll find it eventually!

• Upvote 2

I think finding a bottle in hushed River would be difficult. While it is true all Canadians bring a litre bottle of maple syrup with them on hiking trips it's also true that it is the first item to be consumed, likely within the first 5-10mins of the trip.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

I don't think the events (4DoN as well), are made or intended to be just for the elites.  I think they are made for the wider audience to be able to play and be a little challenged by.  The folks who have dedicated their time to mastering interloper or tuning custom settings to be even harsher... then naturally those folks are going to find the standard challenges and events to be easy.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
*If you are one of those folks... then I'd suggest adding your own extra rules & provisos, and turn the event into your own personal challenge.*
Player choice is very powerful at the changing the experience you have in this game. :)

I got so bored with Nomad because of the sheer amount of loot especially food, part way thru I decided to go vegan. Anything that was meat or had meat in it I ignored.  

13 hours ago, Pharose said:

I prefer to play Survival Mode on Interloper Difficulty. Will I find this game mode challenging at all? I'm only 1 hour into my game so far and I've got tons of good loot and I already got to the point where I'm warmer in this mode than my interloper games. Is the temperature going to plummet pretty soon or is this going to a cake-walk for an experienced play like myself?

I think it was best summed up by @ajb1978, when he wrote: 

On 6/29/2020 at 7:53 PM, ajb1978 said:

...  HL caters to the majority, not the minority that can bust out thousands of days on interloper...

Yeah, and I don't think it's a mistake to make the game accessible to everyone. I encourage it generally. Apart from modding, I do wish we had more control over custom games though so us hardcore people could get what we want. I guess when you've been playing games for 30 years that's what happens.

I find it likely they want to do it the way they did for the achievement stuff. Hinterland has already shown they don't want to have them in custom games because they're worried people could make really easy games and get them. If they put winter's embrace in a custom game they would disable achievements and then a lot of people would be unhappy.

This is definitely forcing me to learn some new tricks, like chaining torches. Things I haven't had to do yet since I'm ~125 days into my first Survival run on Voyager.

Trying to channel the techniques of @Hadrian (been bingeing his TLD series)... like accepting some condition loss knowing I'll recuperate it at night.  :D

Feels like this is a stepping stone from Voyager to Stalker maybe?

Edited by Sherri
  • Like 1

I remember when I was a newbie too afraid to venture out at night, and then the Halloween event forced me to do so.  Since then I run around at night all the time.  This event may have the same effect on those who never travel when there's a blizzard or extreme low temperatures because they're afraid of freezing.  Baby steps! 

• Like 1

Hey, the first things I've learned in this game is not to be outside at night or unsecure weather 😀

Now after hundreds of hours in pilgrim, I see I have learned some skills that help me to stay alive in this mode. However, the really tough points for a pilgrim player are the cold inside buildings and also the need to consume about 2500 kcal per day. You have to reevaluate your needs. Most important is to get good clothing as soon as possible and get it repaired. So you need to move on constantly. Normal pilgrim, as I am usually,  would stay at first or second shelter for some in game days.

If you are used to interloper, which I tried a couple of times, at least until I finally survived 2 in game days, WE should not be a problem for you at all.

10 minutes ago, Azdrawee said:

Would you be so kind and provide an example of a tip Hadrian said that would get you killed on Stalker? Hadrian is not great at the game, and he's not trying to be - that's no secret. He's just playing to have fun.

You're asking so nicely that I want to, but, I genuinely can't bring myself to do it. There was a series he had awhile back, think it was called against all odds, n, yeah, he was being so dumb that I don't even know how he got to a second or third episode. It truly amazed me, how him surviving from one hour to the next relied entirely on luck, with literally none of his actions pushing him to live longer, it was like he was actually trying to die by "accident" for the content. I'm sorry I couldn't link a video, but I've got no patience to do that, i haven't gotten a proper night's sleep in months. If it's any consolation, you should be able find a video of him playing in ways that will lead to your (eventual, not instantaneous.) death on Stalker difficulty just by picking a few videos at random and watching through to the end. He spends every minute of every day wastefully, has no mindfulness as to whether or not he'll actually make it from point A to B without setting up a rest stop on the way, or, he'll get himself killed at point B because he didn't bring enough loot from point A to survive there, and decided to set up shop anyway without doing a second trip. It really shouldn't take you long. 

On 7/4/2020 at 8:47 AM, Killerboom204 said:

You're asking so nicely that I want to, but, I genuinely can't bring myself to do it. There was a series he had awhile back, think it was called against all odds, n, yeah, he was being so dumb that I don't even know how he got to a second or third episode.

Wow, you are totally missing the point of his channel's TLD series.

He's not min-maxing his play to squeeze every inch of efficiency out of the game. He's trying to make enjoyable content for viewers. And that means not staying put in one place for too long, and often just heading where the mood takes him. It's also VERY hard to concentrate on gameplay while also speaking coherent & interesting commentary, jokes, stories & anecdotes into the microphone. I find his videos & commentary very relaxing & enjoyable & bingeing them has been a nice escape during quarantine. Do I find myself shouting something he missed into the screen? Sure. "You missed the knife @Hadrian! The knife aarrggghhh! LOL!"  That's half the charm! 

I for one as someone only on my first survival run ~130 days on Voyager... have learned from his videos: how to effectively hunt wolves. To not be afraid of some calculated condition loss. And that sometimes travelling encumbered is worth it. And he travels so much ground in each season that I'm learning a lot of the maps.

I'm a fan. Clearly. 🤣

Edited by Sherri
  • Like 2

@Sherri exactly! I have watched all Hadrian's recent TLD content and even though he does silly mistakes sometimes (like most of us do), he's definitely not "trying to die by "accident" for the content" - that's just ridiculous. He's not an Interloper player and his AAO series isn't made to teach people things about the game, though he shares occasional tips, none of which I remember as being bad in any way.

• Like 1

I did manage to survive for 14 days or so on Interloper once (which was brutal), but usually I play this on voyageur, except for my YouTube series, which is Stalker difficulty for extra suspense and drama. Prior to this, I was playing a Stalker difficulty game with Voyageur needs, and Interloper wildlife.

To sum up: I actually think this event is very well thought out. It's challenging, but it's not so difficult that the average player would get frustrated. It's not like the game is trying to kill you constantly, as in Interloper.

• 2 weeks later...

LOL

This just made my night. @Azdrawee and @Sherri, thanks for sticking up for the spirit of my content.

@Killerboom204, I'm sorry you didn't find what you were looking for in it. None of my series, in any game, are ever intended to be expert-level. What I teach people in, say, Survival School is expressly intended to help beginners learn to find their way, period. If I offer advice as an expert in an area of the game, I will qualify it as such beforehand, and frankly, I rarely do.

What I'll say in my defense is that if you think I survive purely on luck and more skilled players don't, you aren't being very honest with yourself or with me.

-H

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hadrian said:

LOL

This just made my night. @Azdrawee and @Sherri, thanks for sticking up for the spirit of my content.

@Killerboom204, I'm sorry you didn't find what you were looking for in it. None of my series, in any game, are ever intended to be expert-level. What I teach people in, say, Survival School is expressly intended to help beginners learn to find their way, period. If I offer advice as an expert in an area of the game, I will qualify it as such beforehand, and frankly, I rarely do.

What I'll say in my defense is that if you think I survive purely on luck and more skilled players don't, you aren't being very honest with yourself or with me.

-H

Hadrian what's up man, been a follower on your YouTube channel since season 4 of Against All Odds first started and hope you've been doing well and staying healthy. ^_^ 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Hadrian said:

...If you think I survive purely on luck and more skilled players don't, you aren't being very honest with yourself or with me.

Luck only gets you so far, my guy. Sure, I got boots n a bow on day one, but I had to scrounge for forever n a long time for gloves. I barely made it out of forlorn muskeg without getting frostbite. (this is all before improvised cloth wraps were a thing.) I came up from nothing, & had to diligently grind to get to where I am today. I didn't get no handouts, n I've been keeping my character fed since before the well fed buff, cuz I always thought the starving meta was both stupid & OP. Sure, you can say it was lucky that I got deer carcasses at spawns X & Y, or that it only took Z days (I forget how long, but it was actually weeks, trust.) to get a hacksaw, but, if I didn't get those things when I did, I just would've figured out some other way to survive. There was cat tails right beside the deer carcass, hadrian, I didn't eat them because I didn't want to, cuz they don't rot. If I had to, would've gladly eaten them over death.

There's well over 100000^20000 ways to make it to your first 100 days on interloper, and approximately 2 of them involve insane amounts of luck, there is no "insane amounts" of luck in interloper, every randomized spawn you get is essentially the bare minimum of what you could've expected. If you don't get a "lucky" item in your first 50 loot spots, then the odds are so insane that you won't get it in the next 50, that if you die from a lack of resources, your death is because of bad luck, and not a lack of skill. The absence of bad luck does not lucky make. 1 clutch clothing item per region is not lucky. You know those magical health potions they added awhile back? Birch-bark tea, they call em, yeah, those didn't even exist for my first 100 days. Gosh, I wish I could've known birch bark would've been useful at some point in the future, I could've had enough of it to overencumber myself with the overpowered health elixirs by now.

People have it easier now, then ever before on interloper, n you still think luck is the only way to get by? Then you're so ignorant, that you're too dumb to learn. Gitgud if you wanna survive 100 days, get insanely lucky with no skills at all, if you wanna survive until your luck runs out. GG's, my guy. Go watch accurize play this game, n then come tell me interloper survival is luck based, LMFAO. It's not, you learn the mechanics, you die a freaking ton, and then, you find out what gets you killed n what doesn't. This game isn't even that freaking hard on its highest difficulty setting my guy, luck isn't required, all you need is the absence of horrible luck, and, well, I was gonna say a level head, but, considering I mostly play this game when I'm too sleep deprived for battlefield 4 or apex legends, but not tired enough to sleep, (feels like I haven't slept in the last 9 years, freaking insomnia, yo.) I think I can safely say that's not the case.

You survive by luck because you play on a difficulty that supports it. I didn't get lucky, that one wolf that got scared off when I was too tired to run, he ran because I grinded my way to a wolfskin jacket & bearskin bedroll. If he didn't run, I would've lost 1 of my steaks, or fallen back on my bow skills, or started a fire, or downed a coffee, or gone through a transition. (loadzone's, I call em.) this game has a lot of mechanics, and a lotta choices to make, (like almost killing yourself in pleasant valley, harvesting cat tails you really don't need at all, did I mention this was before well fed was a thing? Yeah, wouldn't have had to leave any of them behind, if that was a thing back then.) and if you can't survive without getting lucky 3 times an in-game week, that's your own damn fault. Get good at the game, then come talk to me.

You're just like that guy I used to play apex with, prufork was his screen name, telling me how it was my fault I died, because I ran out of the ring to go hit the map room & died because loba's jump drive didn't get fixed in the lost treasures update like they said it was. I know the mechanics of the zone, I know how long it takes to travel from point A to B, and I know how far that broken tactical ability of Mrs andrades is supposed to go, I died in that round of apex because respawn entertainment doesn't play-test their freaking updates, not because I made a stupid choice, and I survived in the long dark, because I'm good at the freaking game, not because I got lucky. You both argue those points aren't true, because you just don't know the respective game well enough. You're both grade A examples of the dunning Kruger effect, and you both got a much more detailed explanation of how & why you're just freaking wrong, than you deserve. "EH, WHAT DID YOU THINK YOU WERE GONNA DO? WIN?!? AGAINST ME?! HAAHAAA, TAKE CARE, BROTHAH!!!"-Gibraltar, search & rescue extraordinaire. 

-KB204, average, everyday gamer. 

Brother, listen... let me be real with you.

You just wrote ... 1,000 words.

Predicated on a misreading of my point.

A misrepresentation/misunderstanding of me as a player, and my content as a YouTuber.

And even a complete ignorance of the difficulty at which I play.

I'm not sure what combination of personal circumstances and stressors could possess a person to write so much about something so trivial, let alone factually incorrect, but I sincerely hope it gets better for you. I've had a rough go of it these past 6-9 months, partly due to to what the world is going through, but what I'm reading smacks of someone boiling over with frustration and anger and I just want you to know that I feel you.

And I hope you feel better.

-H

• Upvote 3
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Hadrian said:

Brother, listen... let me be real with you.

You just wrote ... 1,000 words.

Predicated on a misreading of my point.

A misrepresentation/misunderstanding of me as a player, and my content as a YouTuber.

And even a complete ignorance of the difficulty at which I play.

I don't follow, you said survival was based purely on luck, now, you're backpeddling on that point entirely, nothing was misread at all. If you wanted to convey a different point, then you coulda shoulda woulda used different words. You said life was in the hands of RNGesus, and, in lieu of how stupid that sounds, have started back-peddling on that statement, like a politician would do. Somebody get this guy a job as an elected official! 

I've seen you play, trust me, there's no misunderstanding here, just a fundamental gap of knowledge between us about the game we're playing, I plan my days out in advance, so I don't die weeks later because I used all my supplies doing stupid stuff that wasn't beneficial to long-term survival, &, well, you don't. You just kinda, meander about, and anything you need gets handed to you, or you die. 

The difficulty you play is custom, intestinal parasites only last 10 days instead of 20 on custom, it's almost impossible to survive intestinal parasites with a 20-day-duration, but 10 days is peanuts. There's also overpowered clothing items like military jackets & fisherman's sweaters that don't spawn on interloper, on custom. Just cuz you tweaked some settings and called it "harder" than interloper doesn't mean Jack-squat, cuz, well, you're perspective on difficulty is a little jank. Speaking of which, can someone from hinterland change that? It would be nice to change some of the settings for quality of life reasons, without making the game extremely easy. "Losing isn't fun, that's why the enemy team, isn't gonna have any!" -Toxic pathfinder.

-KB204, Fan of the PAYDAY crew. 

• Like 1