Will You Survive WINTER’S EMBRACE?

Admin

1 minute ago, stapeliad said:

I thought it was 25 game days too, not real-life days.
How long each day do we need to play our savegame to get the badge?

I got my 25-Day badge a couple of hours ago, about 26 hours after the release of Winter's Embrace, so it must must be 25 game days not real-time days.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, peteloud said:

Then start a new game in PV, TWM  or HRV,

On youtube I watched Interloper-player starting WE and spawning at HRV. Within few game hours he already had excess amount of items and clothing without even exiting the region. With sleeping bag already in the starting gear, and those loot clothes found and equipped, you could have slept in the Ice Cave without having fire on

Edited by Mistral

10 hours ago, Civrilios said:

Started in Timberwolf Mountain, spent night at the transition cave near summit. 2nd day I looted whole tail section and I'm ready for a cold weather.

Interesting fact - some of containers in the Tail Section were bugged. I was able to loot some of the doors twice, sometimes with different effect (but in the "coffie + tea" container I got coffie + tea twice). Can someone confirm this bug?

I just posted that on the hot fix thread. I see this too.

14 hours ago, Mistral said:

Having said that, I find WE way too easy. The colder temperatures are immediately compensated by the excess amount of Voyager loot. Choosing Random, I spawned in the Grey Mother Milton house and immediately got both ludicrous amount of food as well as luxury clothing items. Within 24 Hours I already had enough superior clothes to compensate for any indoor

It didn't even take any high end loot for me. Just some new pants, ski jacket, mackinaw, gauntlets. One or more two basic items and now I'm fine indoors. At first the cold indoors was great though. In my first failed game I spawned in BR and kept a fire going all night so I didn't freeze. In my current game I warmed up a house to loot it. And then again spent a night by a fire barrel I'd otherwise never use.

It could be made more difficult by tying the indoor and outdoor temperature together. So if it's -20°C inside, the indoor temperature would be close to that

All the matches you get are somewhat shocking though :)

15 hours ago, peteloud said:

I got my 25-Day badge a couple of hours ago, about 26 hours after the release of Winter's Embrace, so it must must be 25 game days not real-time days.

yes that's what said 25 game days. but the event goes for that amount of time so no rush to get it :)

Edited by nicko

4 hours ago, nicko said:

I have not played for a while but yeh i find mystery lake still a challenge loving it.  Finally found an axe / knife but not riffle yet so getting hungry fast.

Hit the damn, found a rifle under the stairs and the revolver on the desk by the turbines... plus pick up two broken arrows so now you got two arrowheads as well!

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this. But when I exit structures after clicking on the door but before the load screen starts it makes you look at the wall as of you were just entering the building for a second. This is on Xbox one btw. Also the spawn rate for military coats is insane I got 5 of them within about an hour just in coastal highway

thanks for the great event

coming back feels gameplaywise like coming "home" and as Pathfinder mentioned the balance feels,
great it emphasis the "situational awareness"  feature that is so unique to the game.

look like tomato chips are the level one -easy task
and Maple Syrup are the level two -advanced task

great Work

On 6/30/2020 at 9:32 PM, Mistral said:

Having said that, I find WE way too easy. The colder temperatures are immediately compensated by the excess amount of Voyager loot. Choosing Random, I spawned in the Grey Mother Milton house and immediately got both ludicrous amount of food as well as luxury clothing items. Within 24 Hours I already had enough superior clothes to compensate for any indoor, and most of outdoor temperature, save blizzards. Granted, there is much more blizzard to be had now, but if you know the game well enough you can always dodge em, at least on the easier regions. Now I fear going after the Syrup/Ketchup badge will be bit of a chore for me, particularly as it seem the maple ones seem to be somewhat rare to find.

I think Voyager loot would have been okay if the temperatures had been lowered by 20 degrees, not just 10. I welcome the colder indoor temperatures wholeheartedly and would love to see it in the main game as well, as that would be realistic in actual winter conditions too (as someone mentioned before), but they require harder loot difficult level to really make a difference.

Whether a game is too easy or too difficult mainly depends upon the level that you are playing at. On top of that there is a considerable difference between the start of a game if one has no badges that give great benefits and has zero levels of skills compared to starting with the benefits given by badges and high levels of skills.  Of course if someone is using the mod to edit saves to give themselves ever-lasting life, unlimited carrying capacity, lots of everything, maxing out resource condition etc. then the game is very easy at all levels.

I started WE in Pleasant Valley and it was a difficult start.  I found very few resources in PV and the it was very cold. I have played TLD a great deal, so I dread to think how most players will manage to survive that start. Eventually I found an an axe, hacksaw and knife, when the game became easier, but it was very difficult getting that far.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SirSharper said:

Starting with zero badges is the way to go if you want to feel against the odds. I don't know if you have seen it, but someone is doing a "naked" run. LOL, try surviving without clothing 

How right you are!

I did just that ( no badges activated) and went for a random spawn as well and ended up in HRV, not my best decision.  I dont know that map all too well, so it didn't take long to do me in.  I can imagine naked!!!     I can already hear Will complaining, "I cant feel my balls..."

• Upvote 1

Well this is...inconvenient.  The cave at the summit of timberwolf Mountain has been blocked off by a giant wall of snow.  I can tell the dead guy is still there because some crow feathers are in the area, but the whole back of that cave has been blocked off!

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

Well this is...inconvenient.  The cave at the summit of timberwolf Mountain has been blocked off by a giant wall of snow.  I can tell the dead guy is still there because some crow feathers are in the area, but the whole back of that cave has been blocked off!

He is probably sitting there dead from a diabetic coma after having consumed a whole case of Maple Syrup... 

6 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

He is probably sitting there dead from a diabetic coma after having consumed a whole case of Maple Syrup... 

Well any loot I might have gotten off him was more than compensated for.  Some of the containers at the summit were doubled up, and essentially lootable twice.  If you loot the container, then tap the button just long enough for the door to open, there's another container inside the first one that can also be looted if you click fast enough.  No maple syrup to be found anywhere on TWM, but scoring two expedition parkas, snow pants, a spare wool ear wrap, and five 97% firestrikers made it worth the effort.

• Upvote 2

Hey Hinterland! Just wanted to say I'm enjoying Winter's Embrace. I see you are copping some flak for making it 'too easy' or 'not different enough', but I think those criticisms are missing the point. Adding a bit of novelty and some new badges is a nice excuse to explore again, while hopefully giving a bit of a boost to the game's profile and sales. People can take it or leave it! TLD is an amazing game, and this stuff is just icing on the cake. I want Hinterland as a studio to do well, because I want more of what you make, so I hope this event goes well for you guys.

• Upvote 3

Has anyone else noticed that a very large amount of items are spawning in at a 0% "Ruined" status?  Like significantly higher than normal, especially considering I'm only on like day 60.  I even found a 0% "cured leather" that was actually NOT ruined, and for some reason it stacked with a 2% cured leather I already had on me.  And I got food poisoning from an energy bar for the first time in history.  I legit thought it was impossible to get FP from those.

This has definitely been an interesting event!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

Has anyone else noticed that a very large amount of items are spawning in at a 0% "Ruined" status?  Like significantly higher than normal, especially considering I'm only on like day 60.  I even found a 0% "cured leather" that was actually NOT ruined, and for some reason it stacked with a 2% cured leather I already had on me.  And I got food poisoning from an energy bar for the first time in history.  I legit thought it was impossible to get FP from those.

This has definitely been an interesting event!

I am at day 61 and have had almost identical experiences as you.  I started in PV.

On 6/29/2020 at 9:46 PM, ajb1978 said:

Random spawn, popped up in Milton.  Goody!  I'm on day 12 right now, I've looted the whole region and I'm currently on the fence as to whether I should grab the satchel in HRV, or move on. .

Similar start for me. 
Spawn in Milton, tried to rush to HRV to get satchel. It was too cold. 
So back to Milton, get some better clothes, and now I’m again in HRV. 

I expected the satchel to be in the “usual” spot - I always found it in the same place. 
Lo and behold, it’s not there, but I see the fire across the map. Interesting surprise. Also didn’t find the dead moose yet. 

The cold challenge was ok after a few days, once better clothing was found/crafted. 

-t

I have to say, i'm kind of on the fence with this event.

For starters, i will say that i now believe it was a good idea to do a less challenging event for people that may just play at the pilgrim/voyager difficulties.  There was definitely a time that i for one would have appreciated that as i found all the other challenges too difficult then.  So yeh, in retrospect, i think this was a great inclusive event.

However...haha....for people that do play interloper or any custom harder difficulties, there is no challenge.

I did a random start and started at DP (fave place btw), i already knew that there was a predator grace period and everything is pretty close so i waltzed over to Hibernia not worrying too much about the cold as i'd spawned with a hat and gloves, found a prybar straight away....result!  By the time i'd finished looting there, i already had enough clothing to combat the interior temp drop, plus enough food to last me maybe two or three days.  Yeh it was still damn cold when i got outside, but with everything so close cause of the great DP spawn i just ambled over to the Ricken and Lighthouse.  After that, there was no issue even outside, excluding blizzards obviously.  By the time i left DP,  i was fully equipped, minus a hatchet but i knew there was a good chance of finding one either in the mine or soon after (which i did, but can't remember where).  After that it was just a case of running around trying to find maple syrup.

I've now pretty much cleared every region and only found 8 syrups.  The only places i've not been yet are the hunting lodge at BR cause i'm on my way there.  I'll then go back and check FM but i can't imagine there being any there unless i get lucky on dead body rng, and then on to BI (don't know enough about that region to know if there would be any pre-placed there), but i'm not holding my breath for rng there either.  I've only found two in container rng and they were both in the same building funnily enough.

So yeh, the only challenge i see here is finding maple syrup. 

Two thing i would have liked to have seen in this challenge.....To be able to change the loot availability before starting.  And this one is a wacky one, but i would have loved if you had place 25 maple syrups and only 25 maple syrups in the world and i had to find them all on one save  😆 

But, like i said, i do think this challenge was a great idea to be a bit more inclusive to people that might not play interloper or similar custom difficulties  ;) 

Am i right in thinking btw, that i any maple syrup i find on normal survival runs or custom runs still count towards the 25 (not just WE runs)?  I'm particularly unsure about custom runs as they don't count towards feats right?

27 minutes ago, Puddy said:

i would have loved if you had place 25 maple syrups and only 25 maple syrups in the world and i had to find them all on one save  

I wouldn't mind that either just so long as they weren't sadistic about how they hide them.  Like how Lost Cairn 160 exists in an area you can't normally access, and requires deliberately exploiting the infinite friction and mountain-goating your way across near-sheer drops to reach.

• Upvote 1