Will You Survive WINTER’S EMBRACE?

Admin

4 hours ago, Dan_ said:

Well, it was a fun experience even though I could only play for a couple of days. Finally got both badges, the 25 day one was pretty quick to be earned and quite pleasing to strive for, I had a lot of fun fumbling with the weapons ( ended up forging a ton of arrowheads and reverting to the ol' trusty bow ) and travelling around.

I can see the point of people complaining about not finding enough syrup, my first and longest save was created as soon as the update hit, I've found 4 bottles across six regions. Then I created another save and found locations with high probability of spawn chance for syrup and just did the grind. Not the most fun I've had in a saturday, if I'm honest. Still, it was cool to experience the game from a different perspective and I still got to do the loot and scoot, which I love. Thank you for organizing the event! 

EDIT: Multiple saves work just fine Maria, I don't think it's possible to find all 25 syrups in one game, given some of these are random spawn chances in containers. 

Thank you!

23 hours ago, Dan_ said:

I can see the point of people complaining about not finding enough syrup, my first and longest save was created as soon as the update hit, I've found 4 bottles across six regions. Then I created another save and found locations with high probability of spawn chance for syrup and just did the grind. Not the most fun I've had in a saturday, if I'm honest. Still, it was cool to experience the game from a different perspective and I still got to do the loot and scoot, which I love. Thank you for organizing the event! 

Would you perchance be willing to share where you found the most syrup?

Guest jeffpeng
On 7/22/2020 at 7:53 PM, NardoLoopa said:

Ah, the infamous HRV lizard.  Can't count the times I've lost my run do to its scaly hide.

So it wasn't the bad dog food. I really saw a lizard. Mindblowing.

I am about to give up with Winter's Embrace.  I have played the game with a Pleasant Valley, (advanced), start for a game year.  I have explored 90% of the world, found 251 locations, and probably found 12 or 13 syrups.  I played the game straight, no grinds to get skills or messing about with 'clever' multiple starts to cream off easy to find syrups and no mods.  It soon became  clear that I would not find 25 syrups. That wasn't an issue with me. I play because I enjoy the challenge of surviving is harsh conditions and not to collect badges through devious play.

631155808_WEDay368-screen_(521)_0845dd00-638d-40ed-b874-e9484b14e414.thumb.png.8711530ed12bf96d123fbc64db385f9a.png

I found the start, when I had few warm clothes, no tools or weapons and low skills challenging.  Once I had most of my skills around 4 or 5, which took over 150 game days, the game settled down.  After that the reduced number of wolves was a God-send.  It was easier than the  normal long Stalker or Voyager games that I usually play.

Edited by peteloud

3 hours ago, peteloud said:

I found the start, when I had few warm clothes, no tools or weapons and low skills challenging.  Once I had most of my skills around 4 or 5, which took over 150 game days, the game settled down.  After that the reduced number of wolves was a God-send.  It was easier than the  normal long Stalker or Voyager games that I usually play.

I can appreciate the thoroughness in which you approached the campaign and the spirit of the chase.  my own personal best was 146 days with 84% of the world explored and 11 bottles of syrup recovered.  I could probably still be playing that particular savegame, because by then my character too had just about maxed out in all skill sets except fishing.  I just couldn't see the point in continuing knowing that the chances of retracing my steps and finding a possibly overlooked bottle of syrup was practically nonexistent.  But then I unlike yourself, I just had to have that damn badge. 

Maybe it's because I'm still peeved over missing out on playing 4DON...

You,  my good sir, are a better sportsman than I.    

“What good are our principles if we only stick to them when it's easy?”
 Josh Steimle

I was enjoying the challenge a great deal but I haven't been able to play for the last couple of weeks; I had a series of heart attacks and had open heart surgery last Thursday. Fortunately that went well and I'm now out of the hospital but I still don't have access to my good gaming computer and I just don't think I'm going to have enough time to score the rest of the syrup I need to get the badge. Which kinda sucks. On the other hand, I get to keep looking for them in normal survivor games so... all things considered I've got no complaints! 

Didn't think I'd be finding myself in my own kind of survival struggle but it looks like I made it through so I'm pretty much a happy camper here.

Glad to see so many folks had a good one, and as this event draws to a close being able to drop world temps by ten degrees C would be an awesome addition to the game, either with a new surivival mode (could be called, I dunno, Winter's Embrace) or via a new custom game option. From my POV it brought a lot to the game and helped swing the danger balance towards straight environment rather than just via wolf attacks. It was great!

28 minutes ago, stratvox said:

I had a series of heart attacks and had open heart surgery last Thursday. Fortunately that went well and I'm now out of the hospital . . . .

It's good to hear that you got over that heart problem.

I deliberately don't play Interloper because it is so stressful, when played properly, I worried that it might give me a heart attack or some stress related condition.

Hey @stratvox, glad to hear you made out of that hairy situation safe and sound. Wishing you a quick and complete recovery my good sir! 

Also, great points on the temperature drop. It really brought a more pronounced PVE feel to the game, much like the very early alpha versions. Combine that temp drop with more scarce clothing options and greatly reduced wildlife to boot, we could have a phenomenal PVE where is truthfully challenging to stay warm. Loved it! 

Did anyone else notice that you can open vehicle fuel tank lids now? I wonder if that means that we will be able to siphon gas as fire accelerant in the future.
Does anyone know if the winters embrace save game will be playable after july 31st?

As for heart attack and heart surgery - whaaaaaaaat? 
I am really glad you made it through to the other side of that and that that the surgery went well. I am afraid of that kind of stuff - both heart attack and heart surgery.

Thanks guys. It's been a slog, that's for sure. Absolutely the most physically painful experience of my life, and by a wide wide margin.

That said, it sure beats the alternative.

Just kinda sucks not being able to score the one badge because I had to stop playing halfway through.

• Like 1

Looking back at the Embrace of Winter, I really liked the experience. It introduced me to finally move away from being a Pilgrim. Somehow it turned out that wolves started approaching me unfriendly.

And that experience has been quite a leap from being just safe, except for the weather and food.

I almost downloaded the version that removed Cabin Fever from the challenge. Which I thought was silly. It's a survival, and being indoors can feel cosy, but the idea is to stay warm. I thought staying alive wasn't such a big thing, especially after finding some weapon (that was around day 22).

Anyway, thanks a lot for coming up with this!

• Admin unfeatured, unpinned and locked this topic