Will You Survive WINTER’S EMBRACE?

Admin

On 7/9/2020 at 8:38 PM, SirSharper said:

i feel like im the only one enjoying full sprinting to hunt for syrup

You're not the only one...
It's just that the folks who don't enjoy it are posting (their grievances) more frequently than those of us who are  enjoying it (and posting their appreciation for the free optional event that Hinterland is giving to it's community). :D

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

On 7/15/2020 at 9:09 PM, NardoLoopa said:

Unfortunately, English can something be grammatically ambiguous.  (e.g. "Police attack men with spears." . . . wait, just who is holding the spear?)

Easy : The dead ones

• Upvote 2

On 7/18/2020 at 6:33 PM, Ape88 said:

I've fully explored Desolation Point, Coastal Highway, Mystery Lake, most of Milton, and have found more rifles than maple syrup. I think I'll need more time.

I have been in the same areas as you and had the same experience, more rifles than syrup.  (I am playing the PV start game).

Because I like to play long games, 500+ or 1,000+ days I prefer to avoid using things like  gun cleaning kits, whetstones, cured leather, etc. , (I need to keep them for later in the game), so I have taken the rifles to BI Cannery for repair.  This has meant that I have had little time for general travelling around in the hope of find syrup.  I have now reached Day 263 and have probably only found a dozen syrups.  I haven't found a syrup in the last 50 days.

To make up for that I now have good warm clothes and have Level 5 in key skills, so I shall have a trip to Broken Railroad to see what I can find there.  I should go to TWM and HRV but that could be hard work, so I shall do BR first.

3 minutes ago, peteloud said:

This has meant that I have had little time for general travelling around in the hope of find syrup.  I have now reached Day 263 and have probably only found a dozen syrups.  I haven't found a syrup in the last 50 days.

Since the syrup is completely random, and sometimes locations do not spawn ANY, I do not think a "long game" approach will get the job done. It took me 4 rounds to collect the syrup. And that was LOTS of SPRINTING & COFFEE, completely against my normal play style, but it helped me realize how much ground can be covered in a short period of time. 

2 minutes ago, peteloud said:

I have now reached Day 263 and have probably only found a dozen syrups.  I haven't found a syrup in the last 50 days.

My good sir, while I admire your tenacity in going the distance in terms of longevity, I do believe you may have already recovered the greatest majority of possible syrup spawns in your current play through.  I think you'll probably find another at BR, maybe another two if the syrup lords give you their blessing, but what happens after you recovered all the delicious nectar?  Do you keep playing until you hit 500 days or do you start another game?  

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

Do you keep playing until you hit 500 days or do you start another game? 

For me, I decided to do both... I still have my first run going, but when I came to terms with the fact that the bottles are so rare... I did eventually start two other runs and played them all concurrently.  Once I got the bottles I need, I deleted the other two and have continued on with my original Winter's Embrace run. 

:coffee::fire::coffee:
So I guess the short version... folks can do both :)
and folks that don't particularly care about the merit badge... can likewise just keep on enjoying the bitter cold without worrying about how many bottles they come across. 

Edited by ManicManiac

8 hours ago, peteloud said:

To make up for that I now have good warm clothes and have Level 5 in key skills, so I shall have a trip to Broken Railroad to see what I can find there.  I should go to TWM and HRV but that could be hard work, so I shall do BR first.

I have had no luck in TWM and HRV. 
At least, I got the moose satchel, but that was it. 
I’m still on my first game, around day 90. I just don’t have enough time to get to 25 bottles. Shame. 

-t

56 minutes ago, turtle777 said:

I have had no luck in TWM and HRV. 
At least, I got the moose satchel, but that was it. 
I’m still on my first game, around day 90. I just don’t have enough time to get to 25 bottles. Shame. 

-t

I ditto your sentiments.  my experience similar, except for the part of not enough time... 
me singing to myself my ..."too much time on my hands..."

22 hours ago, peteloud said:

I have been in the same areas as you and had the same experience, more rifles than syrup.  (I am playing the PV start game).

Because I like to play long games, 500+ or 1,000+ days I prefer to avoid using things like  gun cleaning kits, whetstones, cured leather, etc. , (I need to keep them for later in the game), so I have taken the rifles to BI Cannery for repair.  This has meant that I have had little time for general travelling around in the hope of find syrup.  I have now reached Day 263 and have probably only found a dozen syrups.  I haven't found a syrup in the last 50 days.

Now that I think about I'm wondering if I should delay going to the peak and head back to the Broken Railroad...

I am surprised at the number of people who paid attention to my posting.

I went to Broken Railroad as I said, as far as finding syrup it was very inefficient.  I found one syrup.  I had such a busty time there I felt sure that I must have been there for 20-30 days.  When I checked my journal it was only 14 days.  Unless I find a container in TWM full of syrup I can not see how I can find 25 of them, (and someone pointed out that I will not find find a container full of them on TWM).

I enjoy playing long games, i.e. games over 500 or 1,000 days.  My WE game, (PV start), is now at day 281.  This means that I like to leave everywhere I visit, and am likely to revisit, well equipped.  I like to leave a store of food, water, wood and repair materials for clothes etc..  I also like to fully map each area.  Those two objectives give me lots of things to do.  For me, that is much more interesting and challenging than fiddling the gameplay so that I can get a badge, skill or complete a challenge without have done what the badge/skill/challenge is supposed to represent.  But each to their own.

I accept that it is a solo game and that once people have bought it they can do whatever they like with it.  What I find irritating is that some people, who do all the fiddles, like to make out that the are experienced experts in the game, when their skill is working the fiddles.  I remember a while back one guy claimed that he had done 50 games of over 1,000 days at interloper level. Most people don't BS that much, but many people, when pointing out their successes forget to mention that they were playing at Pilgrim level and using a mod to edit their saves to give themselves everlasting life, unlimited carrying capacity, and give themselves any equipment that they want and restore it to 100% whenever it deteriorates.

Edited by peteloud

Hello!  Winters's Embrace has been tons of fun (GOT the 25 day badge!) but I've been unable to find enough ketchup chips and maple syrup for the Maple Badge.   I've searched the whole game and am currently pinned down by a lizzard in my favorite cave in Hushed River Valley.   Sadly I'm low on coffee and its too damned hostile here to do anything but collect food and more firewood.  This has been a terrific challenge but I was really hoping for that badge. 

Oh well, it has been really great giving it a go and I'd like to thank Raph and the DEVs for putting this on for us.  :)

7 hours ago, Luca Loquax said:

Hello!  Winters's Embrace has been tons of fun (GOT the 25 day badge!) but I've been unable to find enough ketchup chips and maple syrup for the Maple Badge.   I've searched the whole game and am currently pinned down by a lizzard in my favorite cave in Hushed River Valley.   Sadly I'm low on coffee and its too damned hostile here to do anything but collect food and more firewood.  This has been a terrific challenge but I was really hoping for that badge. 

sounds to me like you were expecting to find all the syrup bottles in a single game...  If you were under that impression, sorry to be the pin that pops your balloon, but that scenario is just not in the programming.  There's a reason why they said, "...across multiple game saves..."   You still got plenty of time to get your syrup fix! 

“It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.” – Confucius

1 hour ago, piddy3825 said:

sounds to me like you were expecting to find all the syrup bottles in a single game...  If you were under that impression, sorry to be the pin that pops your balloon, but that scenario is just not in the programming.  There's a reason why they said, "...across multiple game saves..."   You still got plenty of time to get your syrup fix!

I am slowly starting to accept the point that you are making.

I am now at Day 291 and having explored 76% of the game world in a single (PV start) game, and I estimate that I have found around only 12 syrups.  It seems unlikely that I will find the remaining required dozen or so syrups in the yet-to-explore 24% of the world. 

Assuming that is the case, I think it poor game design that 25 syrups can not be found in a single game.  Perhaps I'm wrong and have missed some well hidden syrups, although I would be surprised if that was the case.  I have spend 12 days in FM and not found a single syrup, and I like to think that have covered the area thoroughly.

What is more irritating than that is that in 14 days in Broken Railroad, which I like to think I searched thoroughly, I did not find a single cooking pot.

Throughout the 291 day game I have not had any reason to build a stone cache or the use a paint spray.

4 hours ago, peteloud said:

What is more irritating than that is that in 14 days in Broken Railroad, which I like to think I searched thoroughly, I did not find a single cooking pot.

lol,  BR is now the new DP...  comes complete with a forge, but you can't find a friggin cooking pot anywhere...  But a bet you found at least 5 cans of spray paint?  One for each of the rock caches you could have built!  Oh, btw, I built my first rock cache right outside the door of the mountaineer's hut on TWM.  Combine a cache like that with a snow shelter and you've got a new semi permanent base camp where ever you feel like.  I store all the paint cans in my rock cache to keep them safe from syrup marauders.

I don't think I'm gonna make it. I might get enough chips, but I've found less than 10 syrup, and the only places I haven't visited yet are Coastal Highway, Crumbling Highway, and Desolation Point.

Does it have to be in a single playthrough that you find 25 of each? Or can I start a new one?

Well, it was a fun experience even though I could only play for a couple of days. Finally got both badges, the 25 day one was pretty quick to be earned and quite pleasing to strive for, I had a lot of fun fumbling with the weapons ( ended up forging a ton of arrowheads and reverting to the ol' trusty bow ) and travelling around.

I can see the point of people complaining about not finding enough syrup, my first and longest save was created as soon as the update hit, I've found 4 bottles across six regions. Then I created another save and found locations with high probability of spawn chance for syrup and just did the grind. Not the most fun I've had in a saturday, if I'm honest. Still, it was cool to experience the game from a different perspective and I still got to do the loot and scoot, which I love. Thank you for organizing the event! 

EDIT: Multiple saves work just fine Maria, I don't think it's possible to find all 25 syrups in one game, given some of these are random spawn chances in containers. 

Just now, MariaWB said:

I don't think I'm gonna make it. I might get enough chips, but I've found less than 10 syrup, and the only places I haven't visited yet are Coastal Highway, Crumbling Highway, and Desolation Point.

Does it have to be in a single playthrough that you find 25 of each? Or can I start a new one?

Edited by Dan_

1 hour ago, MariaWB said:

no, it does not!  in fact, it's not even possible!  The event was designed so that you must play multiple launches, hence Hinterland's statement that your stats were combined across multiple save games.  You still have a week to play if your so inclined.  If you do, I would humbly advise that areas like DP and TWM are very unlikely to have any syrup and a side trip into HRV will prove unproductive as well. (unless your inclined to retrieve the moose satchel.) 

If I could suggest a route, I would spawn CH and after looting the area, would go to BI via the ravine.  From the cannery I would proceed to BR via FM.  (only found chips in FM tbh, was a waste looking)  After looting the lodge and maint. yard, I'd head to Mountain town via FM.  Watch out for that moose in the basin.  Up the ropes to loot Milton and then back down as you head to ML.  ML to PV via the Winding River and that last dash to the farmhouse for a guaranteed find.    I ran this route but started in DP, I also scaled the heights and retrieved the satchel as my own personal side quest before finishing in TWM after scaling the summit.  In all my most thorough sweep and at best I found 11 bottles of syrup.  

Start that new one!  Have fun and Happy Syrup Hunting to you!

2 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

no, it does not!  in fact, it's not even possible!  The event was designed so that you must play multiple launches, hence Hinterland's statement that your stats were combined across multiple save games.  You still have a week to play if your so inclined.  If you do, I would humbly advise that areas like DP and TWM are very unlikely to have any syrup and a side trip into HRV will prove unproductive as well. (unless your inclined to retrieve the moose satchel.) 

If I could suggest a route, I would spawn CH and after looting the area, would go to BI via the ravine.  From the cannery I would proceed to BR via FM.  (only found chips in FM tbh, was a waste looking)  After looting the lodge and maint. yard, I'd head to Mountain town via FM.  Watch out for that moose in the basin.  Up the ropes to loot Milton and then back down as you head to ML.  ML to PV via the Winding River and that last dash to the farmhouse for a guaranteed find.    I ran this route but started in DP, I also scaled the heights and retrieved the satchel as my own personal side quest before finishing in TWM after scaling the summit.  In all my most thorough sweep and at best I found 11 bottles of syrup.  

Start that new one!  Have fun and Happy Syrup Hunting to you!

Thank you!