Too Many Spray Paint Cans

vta4ever

Yesterday I started a new voyager run in mystery lake, and in only two in game days I found well over 10 spray cans. There are WAY TOO MANY SPRAYPAINT CANS to the point where they are not even interesting to find. I think that Hinterland should increase the amount of uses, since the current amount of uses per can is pretty low, and also increase the rarity. A half kg for a can with only a few uses seems to not be worth taking on any journey. What do y'all think?

• Upvote 4

Agreed about the number of uses. Sure, the TLD has an extremely high use rate for everything for balance reasons, but there is no reason for cans to be empty so fast. It's not the same kind of resource as other things. And it's bad for gameplay when one can is not enough for a trip

Edited by Serenity
  • Upvote 1

Having very high use of everything seems to be hinterlands thing. Whether it's eating an entire deer in a couple days, not being able to sleep for even 12hrs without taking damage from dehydration, or repairing your gear like the snow is acid.

I think they're trying to keep people having stuff to do in the game that way but I would be interested in seeing about giving players other or different tasks. Once mods come out it will be cool to play around and see what can work.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

There are a lot of spray cans!  It's probably high to start with so existing games can utilize/catch up with them.  I've been using them in caves where I've previously used sticks.  Though I'm not sure how I feel about the graffiti - I would have preferred tying ribbon markers or scratching/etches (aka tree scribbles: I 💓 LD 4Ever). 

They'll probably lower the rate in future updates.

Edited by Vhalkyrie
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I really love this feature, but it's true you have too few uses per can. Yesterday I needed 3 cans to mark my thin ice secure way from Poacher's Camp to Old Spence's. On the other hand, after running this way about 5 times back and forth while marking it, I think I should have kept the cans and better mark ways through transition caves instead...

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

If you don't want so many cans, you could always try a harder difficulty/custom game.  Or, throw them away?  I'd rather have too many than not enough to accommodate the most players.

The point is the cans have too few uses individually while having a too high spawn rate. The number of in-world uses can stay the same by increasing uses by the same amount the rarity has changed. 

Itd make the can more exciting to find while technically making it no less scarce. 

Edited by MarrowStone
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

If you don't want so many cans, you could always try a harder difficulty/custom game.  Or, throw them away?  I'd rather have too many than not enough to accommodate the most players.

True, but even at voyager it seems ridiculous that I found 7 spray cans in Carter dam

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2020 at 7:29 AM, vta4ever said:

Yesterday I started a new voyager run in mystery lake, and in only two in game days I found well over 10 spray cans. There are WAY TOO MANY SPRAYPAINT CANS to the point where they are not even interesting to find. I think that Hinterland should increase the amount of uses, since the current amount of uses per can is pretty low, and also increase the rarity. A half kg for a can with only a few uses seems to not be worth taking on any journey. What do y'all think?

yup, I got 13 cans so far looting ML in a new run I just recently launched.  seem's a little out of balance, but they do line up quite nicely on a shelf!

I say, let's be patient folks. :D

It's a new feature... give it a little time and things will get tweaked, adjusted, and re-balanced until Hinterland feels they have it just right.  :)

:coffee::fire::coffee:

On 5/21/2020 at 11:03 PM, kristaok said:

Give them time, they'll get it all figured out soon enough.

Right on @kristaok, I absolutely agree. :)

Edited by ManicManiac

Agree about giving it time.

However, to raise a possibly related issue - I wonder whether the high number of spray cans might have the effect of reducing the availability of other items? I've started two new custom runs since the update with item availability maxed out and I'm seeing what I think is a noticeable reduction in useful items/stuff I would normally expect to see and I wonder if this is at the expense of the spray cans? For example, current run in Milton, I've explored everywhere apart from Milton Basin and have 15 spray cans but only 1 firearm cleaning kit, 1 whetstone, 1 hunting knife, 2 hatchets and 2 pry bars. The availability of decent clothing items also seems much reduced.  There was a very similar distribution of gear in my previous run too (which is why I started again). In neither game did I find a revolver - previously, that's been more or less a certainty in Milton with item availability maxed out.....

On 5/20/2020 at 11:25 PM, odizzido said:

Having very high use of everything seems to be hinterlands thing. Whether it's eating an entire deer in a couple days, not being able to sleep for even 12hrs without taking damage from dehydration, or repairing your gear like the snow is acid.

I think they're trying to keep people having stuff to do in the game that way but I would be interested in seeing about giving players other or different tasks. Once mods come out it will be cool to play around and see what can work.

If you wore your clothes 24/7 in the winter in rough terrain, you'd likely wear them out fairly quickly.

Same goes for dehydration. You can't go without water for more than 3 days, no matter what, and drinking water in the morning is a good idea.

If you were working hard outdoors carrying a heavy backpack, you'd get pretty hungry pretty quickly, and you could likely finish off a deer within a few days.

But, if this bothers you, it's always possible to create a custom game difficulty, where you set your needs and items to decay slowly.

32 minutes ago, Glflegolas said:

If you were working hard outdoors carrying a heavy backpack, you'd get pretty hungry pretty quickly, and you could likely finish off a deer within a few days.

I do create a custom game every time with low item decay, thirst, and hunger. I still feel item decay is much too high.

We could argue over the particular situation we are in about repairs and dehydration, but that's not what I want to do.

Now arguing over eating an entire deer in two days....it's just not humanly possible in any realistic sense. Deer will give you something like 20-25kg of easy to get muscle meat, not including a ton of other calories from things like the heart and liver and the not as easy to get meat. You will probably get something like 100,000 kcal out of one just to put that in perspective. If you feel you can eat that in a few days then I challenge you to do so.

One thing to keep in mind is that painted marks are eventually going to fade over time.  So if you want to keep something tagged, you'll have to repaint it.  And to my knowledge paint cans don't appear via beachcombing so they are a finite resource.

After playing the game for many, many hours I find very little need for paint cans.  I simply ignore them.  They are too heavy to carry around.

I can't be bothered to make stone caches either.  I store resources in the caves and cabins at which I normally stay.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, peteloud said:

After playing the game for many, many hours I find very little need for paint cans.  I simply ignore them.  They are too heavy to carry around.

I can't be bothered to make stone caches either.  I store resources in the caves and cabins at which I normally stay.

I also don't use paint cans very often. The most useful part of them, honestly, is being able to spray an arrow saying which direction to go in a transition cave, marking off dead ends in transition caves, or (sometimes) to mark whether or not I've searched a location. I tend to used them rather sparingly, as I don't like leaving too much graffiti.

The stone caches could be handy though, especially in areas where there aren't many containers. I'm thinking Timberwolf Mountain and Hushed River Valley. I'll try them and see how I like them.

But hey, different people play the game in different ways. At first I didn't think much of the autowalk feature, but now I can't get enough of it. The more options people have, IMO, the better.

16 hours ago, peteloud said:

Yep, pretty much my experience with the update so far. Returned to the game after a few months away, this update is packed of cool features for the average players, but has little to offer for the small sliver of pie(rocks are lighter, so are arrowheads from what I remember...I'm happy with this). I'm fine with that, at least I'm not experiencing any bugs like what I had when EP first came out. 

I feel like the game is at a stage where if an update doesn't break anything with bugs, I'm happy with whatever feature it adds. 

I am eternally grateful for the auto-walk feature though!

Longer life time for my left analogue stick as well as for my left thumb 😮

And being able to just click instead of having to click-and-hold is also great.