MrsHoneypot

Bedrolls & Journey Planning

Do you think, if you planned your journey properly, that you could survive Entirely without a bedroll?

Yes.  There are lots of alternatives.  With enough cloth, one can build snow shelters  to fill in the gaps where beds, beds in caves can't be accessed to sleep .  The player can also catch 1 to 2 hour naps in cars without freezing to death (depending on their condition when starting their sleep).  There is also the option of using coffee and Go to extend the duration that one can go without sleep.  With the new feat, the effects of the coffee and Go drinks are even extended.

IIRC - I've even seen Atheenon survive for 20 days or so in HRV without a bedroll (he was doing a Loper-based challenge where he had to stay 20 days in each zone whenever he first got to that zone and spawned in HRV.

Edited by UpUpAway95

I think you can make do without a bedroll, but you either need to know the maps/game well, or you need to really take it slow and explore and possibly make supply caches as you go from known to unknown bed. Personally I don't find not having a bedroll to be horrid anymore, but when I first started playing this game is was pretty awful. It was like playing bed finder simulator 2000. I still hope we get the ability to choose to sleep anywhere, even if it's not a good choice.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Yes, I think it is certainly doable but as you pointed out @MrsHoneypot, if you deliberately travel without a sleeping bag you probably should plan your movements wisely.  I guess my question is why?  Considering the basic bag only weighs in at kilo,  I think there are quite a few other things that you can shed from your inventory to drop the equivalent in weight.  For example, check out the amount of matches you are carrying.  I typically end up with a ton of match books, both wooden and paper, not to mention 2-3 strikers and maybe even 2-3 magnifying glasses.  Considering I almost never use the magnifying glass,  for me that is just dead weight.  same goes for all those matches.  by the time i put 20 or more boxes of matches in a storage container, I've sometimes easily reduced my carry weight by over a kilo or more.   Now on the other hand, if you like playing the game with a self imposed hardship like that, game on!  

on a side note, you may be onto something.  This would make a pretty good achievement type of challenge mini game imho.  You don't get a bag when you spawn and you have to sleep in at least two or more beds on each map and you have to cover the whole island and you only have a limited time to do it.   what do you think?  

• Like 1

With low loot settings it can actually be quite some time before you find a bedroll. It's not always a choice to carry one.

The issue to consider is cabin fever. 
Not having a bed roll means sleeping in caves is not an option. 

In later interloper games, you can get days and days of blizzards and extremely cold weather, where you can not possibly spend enough time outside to avoid cabin fever risk. Every now and then, you need to spend a day and night in a cave to “cool off”.

-t

45 minutes ago, turtle777 said:

The issue to consider is cabin fever. 

In later interloper games, you can get days and days of blizzards and extremely cold weather, where you can not possibly spend enough time outside to avoid cabin fever risk. Every now and then, you need to spend a day and night in a cave to “cool off”.

-t

Which can be spent in a snow shelter instead of a cave.  One just needs to figure out the most sheltered spots where one can be placed with a sheltered fire also next to it.  There are several places where there are hollowed out trees that will shelter the fire on three sides and building your snow shelter in front of the tree helps to shelter it a bit on the 4th side.  Sometimes you can place a snow shelter near the mouth of a cave and build your fire just inside the cave, which keeps it relatively sheltered.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, MrsHoneypot said:

Do you think, if you planned your journey properly, that you could survive Entirely without a bedroll?

Yes. Especially since Errant Pilgrim there are a lot more caves and other locations that feature beds now. In fact I've lived 60 days on Interloper on TWM without ever using a normal bed or a bedroll.

It needs to be stressed that bedrolls make the game significantly easier, so choosing to leave it behind if I have it probably wouldn't cross my mind. But if it was some sort of challenge .... it's indeed possible. You'd actually be surprised how far you can go being fatigued. So as long as you are willing to take a bit of damage here and there, and travel at a maximum of 30 kilograms total (35 well fed) you are much less reliant on a bedroll than you might initially think.

I guess the "problematic" maps are Timberwolf Mountain, Hushed River Valley and Forlorn Muskeg.

• TWM has a fairly good shelter, but getting to the summit without a bedroll requires either a Snow Shelter or a lot of coffee. Since TWM isn't a pass-through map you will only go there if you want something from there - most likely the summit - but you don't have to.
  • HRV has no naturally occuring beds, period, so snow shelter is the only option to get some sleep. It's worth noting that you can find an already established snow shelter on this map. But HRV also is no pass-through territory, so you don't have to go there unless you want to.
  • FM already has a snow shelter, too, in one of three random spots, and also a real bed, but it's not in a cave or house. So unless you are really well equipped you will be required to keep a fire burning while resting. But FM also is small enough that you can usually pass through without having to sleep if you plan your trip well.

All other maps have plenty opportunities to sleep along travel routes, and all points of interest should allow a two-way trip from spots that do have a bed - of course always assuming the weather plays along. When it doesn't .... that's when a bedroll actually comes in handy. Having to sit out a blizzard in a cave with no opportunity to sleep can put a serious wrench in your plans.

So I guess TL;DR:

Yes you can, but I wouldn't choose to unless I have to.

Edited by jeffpeng

17 hours ago, MrsHoneypot said:

Yes, as others have already answered above. One might add that it has become considerably easier to survive without bedroll over the last updates, as "natural beds" have been introduced to various places (I've seen them in some caves and barns so far). But even before that, you had snow shelters and cars as potential sleeping places without need for a bedroll.

Actually would make for a pretty nice challenge: travel 90% (or 100% for the completionists) of the world without a bedroll.

10 hours ago, turtle777 said:

Depends. There are quite a few caves with those tree branch beds these days. Most of them are a bit out of the way though

Snow Shelter

Bear Bedroll

Cars

Coffee

Stims

Beds

Got to plan out carefully though. Scaling TWM summit would require tons of coffee as there is no stops there at all.

Edited by desertedone

A couple of people have mentioned this being a good premise for a challenge. Has anybody challenged themselves this way?