Bedrolls & Journey Planning

MrsHoneypot

I see. I grazed PV in Sandbox before Episode 3 came out and i didn't want to do it again after that. So i finished exploring TWM and moved to CH. I haven't ben in BI etc yet. SO i guess i just have missed most of the locations.

But i'm wondering: In HRV you have to build snow shelters and dismantle them every time. How many pieces of cloth are needed to explore the whole map? :D

11 minutes ago, Karl Grylls said:

But i'm wondering: In HRV you have to build snow shelters and dismantle them every time. How many pieces of cloth are needed to explore the whole map? :D

None. Hushed River Valley has a guaranteed bedroll spawn in one of the ice cave systems, so you don't need to make snow shelters if you can reliably navigate them.

17 hours ago, Karl Grylls said:

I see. I grazed PV in Sandbox before Episode 3 came out and i didn't want to do it again after that. So i finished exploring TWM and moved to CH. I haven't ben in BI etc yet. SO i guess i just have missed most of the locations.

It's hard to say.  Firstly, you likely would not dismantle your shelter every night, but place one in a convenient and safe location and return to it for multiple nights, just as you would with a base inside a building.  You can also repair the shelter and, I believe, depending on how much it has degraded, the repair may only cost you sticks rather than additional cloth.

ETA:  I would expect also that you could treat the bedroll spawn just like any other bed in the game.  You should still be able to use it, just not move it away from the location where you found it.

Edited by UpUpAway95

On 2/23/2020 at 8:00 PM, UpUpAway95 said:

ETA:  I would expect also that you could treat the bedroll spawn just like any other bed in the game.  You should still be able to use it, just not move it away from the location where you found it.

Ah okay good point. I missed that. Thanks for mentioning. I would like to see a "No Bedroll Challenge" by the Community on Twitch :D

Paranoia mixed with a dash of OCD has been the secret to my success in TLD thus far.  My biggest hobby in TLD is hunting bears for the purpose of making bedrolls (no accommodation thus far for making cloth ones).

As I explore and find a cave or similar shelter I set up a camp with food, water, meds a butt-ton of firewood and a bedroll in the event I get pinned down by a lizzard.  I now have scads of these camps set up all across the island in all the zones so I am never far from relative safety.

This paid off as I was staging-up for my assault on the peak at Timber-wolf Mountain.   This storm had me stuck in the cave in the deer clearing for THREE DAYS till it let up.  No bedroll would have been a critical mission failure.  My preps saved my ass and my game which I had been working on for a very long time. 

I never go to a new area without one!

Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!