Stupidest way you have died

starfighter441

Had played for 122 days on my first survival mode and decided to go see what Hushed River Valley is like. Found a nice cave and set up there. I had been living there for around 2 weeks, when a bear shows up at the cave and mauls me. I come to, bandage myself and walk out to my food stash outside the cave... where the bear is waiting and has me for a late night snack.

I don't know what drew the bear there as there were no bones to indicate a bear den and I had been there for a good while. Was it the cooked venison by the entrance? Been very hesitant of camping in caves ever since.

• 5 months later...

Dumbest death to me on recent episode 3 run I saw a bear on my way to the crash and thought I'm bored let's kill it ( I was on a rock that took all my temperature to get up it was like 50 feet rifle and now right into the bear  and it floated onto the rock and nearly killed me I was alright until (since I was on the edge of the rock) fell and died of massive internal injuries after falling vomit spawned me after the bear mauled me in the air and the 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bearimpaler101 said:

Wdym goat down you mean crouch down and rockflop  rock by rock to the bottom

yes, trying to climb down a rock face by just catching yourself on edges of the rock geometry to stop yourself from plummeting to the bottom. I'm pretty sure everyone on this forum coined it as "Goating"

3 hours ago, Bimbobjoejr. said:

yes, trying to climb down a rock face by just catching yourself on edges of the rock geometry to stop yourself from plummeting to the bottom. I'm pretty sure everyone on this forum coined it as "Goating"

you gotta admit though falling to your death is worthy of being called "Doing the RockFlop!"  

Kudos to @Bearimpaler101 for coining such an imaginative way of describing dying in TLD!

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, Bearimpaler101 said:

Thank you very much piddy I hear you often qoute  on the long dark Instagram (via my mom )

lol, the family that games together has the most fun!  I do enjoy this game very much and I do follow some TLD enthusiasts on Instagram.  One in particular, which, if she's your mom, means you are no average Bear Impaler!
btw, if no one has said it yet, welcome to the forums!

Ty  my mom isn't the instagramer you follow but she follows them to and sees you comment and no I'm not an average bear impaler  I kept 2 saves in  episode 2 to keep my completion and to kill the old bear again

I like the intense clicking and being able to kill the thing I'm clicking for (aka not wolves)

• Upvote 1

@Bearimpaler101, I keep an Episode 2 save game file myself.  There is just something primal about taking out the bear spear and dishing out a little hurt every once in a while.  I especially wish the animation would have left the bear spear sticking outta the bear's body at the end.  I am always kinda disappointed with the ending scene in that regard.

Game on my good sir!  Game on!

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

This was during the Escape the Darkwalker event, so I was extra pissed.

I was doing a run from location to location to collect all of the important notes. I had gone from DP to CH (taking a long, foolish break in the Cinder Hills Coal Mine) and had ended up on the Raven Falls Railway Line.

My plan was to free climb (taking a dozen or so short no-damage falls to descend without the hassle of a rope climb) down the edge and go to Bleak Inlet, hitting Echo One and then exiting to Forlorn Muskeg.

So, I get started, and slide down the edge of the ravine (despite the annoyed grunts from my character) while keeping an eye on my health. Zero injuries so far, 105% condition.

I get maybe 10 meters down the cliff face, hit a killbox, and instantly die.

The worst part? If the killbox wasn't there, I'd have made it down without a single injury.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

As is often the case, I was killed by a very dangerous instinct to maximize efficiency. Having spent 44 days pretty much fully mapping the airfield region, I decided to continue on back to more familiar regions. I headed back through Broken Railroad, and then over to Spence's to see if anything interesting was there. My goodness there are a lot of wolves! I got caught by one on the way there (playing on Stalker, so this is an issue, but quite manageable). No problem, get a fire going, rest up.

Next morning, it appears to be a blizzard. So I duck out to the nearby broken cabin, whose drawers often contain rare goodies. Well, maybe it wasn't a full blizzard yet, or it was just coming out of one, because suddenly, I've got 4 wolves coming at me, and I'm not being at all cautious. Two of them jump me, taking me down to minimal health, before I say "sod this", and take a rifle shot at the third one. I rush and miss, but it scares them off. So I boot it the 30ish meters to the forge, and bandage everything up.

So now I've got like 10% health, but I'm mostly rested. But there's plenty of wood and coal, so I can definitely get a 24 hour fire going, and wait it out. My traveling food isn't abundant, but I've got more than enough to make it through the day, without even risking my well fed bonus. Easy peasy.

Did I do that? No. I stupidly said to myself "cattails never go bad, and I can see two dear carcasses like 20 meters away. It would be maximally efficient to go carve up those!" I got 2kg from the first one, and headed back, as I couldn't afford to be cold at all. Having gotten away with it, I cooked those two steaks, and headed back for the second carcass...

The wolf jumped me the second I stepped out of the shelter. Because I thought it was more important to save my not at all precious food supply, rather than heal up before stepping out into a field that I know is lousy with wolves. And I could have just passed game time for 12 hours, and slept for 12 hours, taking me all of 6 seconds. But no, I hated to just pass time and not accomplish anything.

This is not the first time I've made the error of vastly undervaluing my safety, in favour of efficiency. Don't do that!

• Upvote 6

Dumbest way to die ever?

Hmmm… I’ve got two to share. You guys be the judge of which was dumber.

A few weeks ago, I was trying to leave TWM and exit to PV. This was accomplished… but just barely; I had less than 5% condition when I stumbled into the abandoned bunker. It was -3C inside (since I had no clothes), but the bed gave a +5C bonus. Selected ten hours of sleep and died instantly. As I stared flabbergasted at the death screen, I remembered the fitting (paraphrased) children’s prayer: 
“And now I lay me down to sleep, I give the Lord my soul to keep.”

Second one, just yesterday. I got lost in Blackrock on Endless Night, and stumbled across a pack of Timberwolves. I popped a flare and walked backwards, away from the pack, as I had been taught… straight off a cliff and into the river.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...