Similar game to TLD you folks might like

Not sure if we are allowed to recommend other games on here.

If you like TLD then I reckon you will like my new addiction that is:

Hobo tough life.

Some similar mechanics to TLD keeping warm , hunger etc

It's a pretty basic game on the surface but once you get in to it, is surprisingly an in depth survival rpg.

anyway let me know what you guys think.

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

Since I just got back, I am catching up on threads and saw this one.

I have a game I suck at, but am really enjoying anyway. It's not really a survival game, but has survival elements to it in some ways.

City/colony builder, some customizations to the three difficulty settings, plus a Pacifist Mode hat removes the hostile wildlife and constant attacks by Raider camps. Similar to TLD- "easy" to learn, but hard to master (if you aren't using mods to give you God Mode or unlimited gold to buy everything instead of producing it in your town).

Farthest Frontier by Crate Entertainment.

I tried Banished and once upon a time I tried Settlement Survival, but neither really stuck with me and made me want to keep going back and trying again to see if I could do better. Farthest Frontier has been similar to The Long Dark for me- I really wasn't into survival games, let alone ones with permadeath- but TLD caught me and held. FF had the same effect for me- a genre I never really enjoyed before, but one game just grabbed me and held on.

(It's still in Early Access, so it's still changing and growing, also built in Unity, so it can have many of the same Unity quirks as TLD at times, but still- nearly 300 hours in for me, and I keep wanting to go back and keep playing.)

• Upvote 1

Firewatch!

It caught my eye because it resembled TLD  a lot but it's summertime!

It's a short storytelling game, you play as a...idk, ranger? Firewatcher? And you stay in those red lookout towers just like in TLD! 

Very cozy and atmospheric. 

• Upvote 4

It might be not exactly what was meant by similar but I'm just gonna throw it out there

Psychonauts (the first one) 

Yes, mechanics have zero similarities but the mechanics is the main reason behind my love for the Long dark. The main reason is the setting, the scenery, the wonder of a forest, the tall trees, cracking of a fire etc etc

The game is rather old, but I remember how hard I fell for the atmosphere of the Whispering Rock Psychic Summer Camp😁 

Recently, psychonauts 2 came out after 14 long years, and even though I obviously played it amd loved it, the first one will always be superior in my book.

• Hinterland

I've raved about this on other platforms, but if you haven't checked out PACIFIC DRIVE, you should. There's a lot of TLD in there, and I can say this confidently because the devs told me so. 😅 That said, it's very much its own game, and really compelling.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1458140/Pacific_Drive/

Really good dev team with wonderful folks, and backed by Kepler Interactive, a really good publisher also run by friends.

• Upvote 11

There really is nothing like The Long Dark. Survival games I do enjoy outside of TLD includes:

Stranded Deep - Similar to TLD in that your are let loose in a sandbox after a plane crash and its all up to you to survive. In this one you get sunburnt though, not frostbite. 

Subnuatica - Amazing gameplay and soundtrack. Gets my anxiety high as I go deeper. 

Grounded - Much deeper game mechanics than expected. Really well polished game. Honey I shrunk the kids!

Kingdome Come Deliverance: First person, but we have a body and feet! 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Pyroxene said:

I haven't played it, but Dysmantle?

I have played Dysmantle, and though it does have some minor survival mechanics, it really is a shooter-zombie killing game more than a survival game. It's fun, but frustrating- some of the Bosses are OP, everything respawns and you have to kill it all over again until you can power up the radio towers that prevent zombie respawning so you can level up and begin scrapping buildings and items to use for crafting. It's a fun game if you like zombie-killing games. But it really isn't a survival game. Post-apocalypse is about the only real similarity. 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

I've raved about this on other platforms, but if you haven't checked out PACIFIC DRIVE, you should. There's a lot of TLD in there, and I can say this confidently because the devs told me so. 😅 That said, it's very much its own game, and really compelling.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1458140/Pacific_Drive/

Really good dev team with wonderful folks, and backed by Kepler Interactive, a really good publisher also run by friends.

already 100% completed it.... LOVED it...

I've also played it.  I want to continue playing it, but having to continually manually drive through the same zones to get to the farther zones is kind of putting me off.  I wish there was some sort of fast-travel to be unlocked after you've cleared a zone.  I know, I know, TLD doesn't have this but the atmosphere of the TLD makes it enjoyable to stroll through the same zone after the 1000th time ;)

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

I've also played it.  I want to continue playing it, but having to continually manually drive through the same zones to get to the farther zones is kind of putting me off.  I wish there was some sort of fast-travel to be unlocked after you've cleared a zone.  I know, I know, TLD doesn't have this but the atmosphere of the TLD makes it enjoyable to stroll through the same zone after the 1000th time ;)

it is a driving game... its literally in the title

later on....not quite fast travel so much as faster travel... if you unlock the Junction Bypass you can skip zones

11 minutes ago, Cr41g said:

it is a driving game... its literally in the title

later on....not quite fast travel so much as faster travel... if you unlock the Junction Bypass you can skip zones

Yeah, that was my problem when I played the Pacific Drive Demo. It looks and feels like a great game, but I do not enjoy games where I have to drive- kb/m controls or controller. I am just not good with the controls the game has, and having to drive at ultra slow speeds to not constantly crash just made it a game that wasn't for me. My (adult) kids love it, though.

• Upvote 1

On 4/30/2024 at 2:17 AM, Lohaan said:

Kingdome Come Deliverance: First person, but we have a body and feet! 

I wouldn't really describe KCD as similar to TLD but it's a good game nonetheless :).

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, BugReportEnthusiast said:

While on the topic: Try Firewatch.

Same exact artstyle as The Long Dark, it's around 4 hours long and basically a story-driven walking simulator. But it's very nice.

Loved Firewatch.  Was always hoping they would expand it or come out with FW2 :(