Screenshot for Screenshot Saturday

hehe, wanted to see what comes to your minds when looking at this. The reality is not as bad as you might think. This picture is made two feed away from misanthrope's house (on the hill). There is a fishing hut between Jack Rabbit and Misanthrope's that i use as my outdoor-base. I just went quickly to the hut to pick up food that i have stored there. So i wasn't in danger at any time. On my way back the blizzard appeared and i couldn't remember to have seen such a low temperature and with all the red bars, the snapshot even looks more dangerous :P I went inside with 73% condition, ate and healed up to 100% :)

4 hours ago, thinair said:

Celcius :) I just had a storm of -75c :)

dude, that's well past the point when Carbon Dioxide starts solidifying out of the air. Inhaling air at that temperature would very likely be lethal, or at least give your lungs severe frostbite.

Edited by EternityTide

First one that came along after seeing the above was -78. Feeling quite warm in this one because I've seen them 10 degrees colder. Air temp where I sleep gets to -26 so in bed with my clothing close to max it feels like 0. You need to try getting out of the comfort zone!

screen_(906, 156, 376)_62dc4e76-7e57-4408-8acf-9168d8354151.jpg

Edited by mystifeid

On ‎2016‎-‎09‎-‎29 at 8:22 PM, EternityTide said:

dude, that's well past the point when Carbon Dioxide starts solidifying out of the air. Inhaling air at that temperature would very likely be lethal, or at least give your lungs severe frostbite.

Close but not quite. The melting point of Carbon Dioxide is -78C. The "feels like" includes wind chill so we're not quite at the point where the component parts of air begin separating.

32 minutes ago, ungoliant said:

day 40 morning blizzard in interloper gave me a -121F blizzard, which is -85C.  I'll screenshot the next one.

56 minutes ago, cekivi said:

Close but not quite. The melting point of Carbon Dioxide is -78C. The "feels like" includes wind chill so we're not quite at the point where the component parts of air begin separating.

This is certainly interesting. Important to always take out the wind chill, as cekivi mentions, but a fascinating topic. :coffee:

And happy to see some of your extreme weather screenshots/measurements! It's always nice to see what Mother Nature is capable of. 

On 9/28/2016 at 3:44 PM, thinair said:

Celcius :) I just had a storm of -75c :)

On 9/29/2016 at 8:22 PM, EternityTide said:

2 hours ago, cekivi said:

1 hour ago, ungoliant said:

day 40 morning blizzard in interloper gave me a -121F blizzard, which is -85C.  I'll screenshot the next one.

1 hour ago, Patrick Carlson said:

This is certainly interesting. Important to always take out the wind chill, as cekivi mentions, but a fascinating topic. :coffee:

And happy to see some of your extreme weather screenshots/measurements! It's always nice to see what Mother Nature is capable of. 

All this talk of low temperature made me curious, so I looked up the coldest recorded temperature on Earth (as measured by ground personnel, not satellite measurements). Turns out it's −89.2 °C, from Vostok Station in Antarctica on July 21, 1983. There's also a tradition called the 300 club among scientists at the Amundsen–Scott South Pole Station. They wait for a day when the temperature drops to −100°F (-73°C), then they first warm up in the sauna to 200°F, and then run outside naked to the geographic south pole marker, thus enduring a temperature change of 300°F.

Edited by TheRealNFK
typos
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, cekivi said:

My bad, I meant the liquefaction point of CO, but since COliquefies only at -56.6 when under 5.1 atmospheres of pressure, I thought it was safe to assume it would solidify (dry ice and all that malarkey). Just shows how your brain can deceive you when you are tired and the caffeine tank hits zero.

4 hours ago, EternityTide said:

My bad, I meant the liquefaction point of CO, but since COliquefies only at -56.6 when under 5.1 atmospheres of pressure, I thought it was safe to assume it would solidify (dry ice and all that malarkey). Just shows how your brain can deceive you when you are tired and the caffeine tank hits zero.

Indeed. :big_smile:

Also an excellent example of state changes in relationship to temperature and pressure. If I remember the phase diagram of CO2 correctly it doesn't have a liquid form (at any temperature) when under ambient pressure (1 atm or 101.3 kPa).

I am now feeling very happy with myself that I'm correct (I just looked it up). All these years of University weren't for nothing! :silly:

Image result for phase diagram of CO2