TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY, Part Two is Here!

Admin

28 minutes ago, Serenity said:

It was just released :) According to the author the bunkers and caches are even in the game already. They just took away the radio and the first note. The mods adds the radio.

This is awesome! I love the modding community!

1 hour ago, Serenity said:

Она была только что выпущена :) По словам автора, бункеры и тайники уже даже есть в игре. Они просто забрали радио и первую записку. Моды добавляют радио.

I can't find this mod. Could you help me? please

2 hours ago, bladerunner900 said:

The only thing stopping me playing a Custom Loper is the fact that it would not give me the TALES: SIGNAL VOID badge on completion. That's a big problem for me. Extra loot I can deal with, one way or another but this nonsensical restriction forces me to look for ways to remove that impediment. For the sake of my sanity.

The lack of badge progression on custom has always been a mistake. Pilgrim exists and can earn badges. Why would you lock out a mode from earning rewards if the easiest difficulty can already earn rewards?

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Kayosiv said:

The lack of badge progression on custom has always been a mistake. Pilgrim exists and can earn badges. Why would you lock out a mode from earning rewards if the easiest difficulty can already earn rewards?

Even though Pilgrim is not the "easiest" difficulty any more than Loper is the "hardest" one, I agree.  I have always felt that custom games should be able to earn feats.  They can earn achievements, so why not feats as well?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, bladerunner900 said:

The only thing stopping me playing a Custom Loper is the fact that it would not give me the TALES: SIGNAL VOID badge on completion. That's a big problem for me. Extra loot I can deal with, one way or another but this nonsensical restriction forces me to look for ways to remove that impediment. For the sake of my sanity.

It's a 3-hour DLC that you would have to play through only once on Stalker to earn the badge... after that, the fact that you couldn't earn that badge on a "custom" run becomes irrelevant, doesn't it?

ETA:  After all, you probably earned all the challenge badges at whatever difficulty HL set for them (i.e. not baseline resources low or Loper)... I don't see this as very much different really.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheOtherBob said:

Not if that level will give you double expedition parkas, double cowichan sweaters, snow pants, work pants, a Balaklava, double climbing socks, and insulated boots.

That doesn't preclude the fact that the feat can be earned on Pilgrim, Voyageur, and Stlaker, in addition to standard Loper.  You don't need to forego the expedition parkas, etc. now to earn the feat... so why not open it to Custom as well where it's possible the player desires to earn the feat at a setting even more difficult than Loper?... instead of assuming everyone who plays custom is trying to play and earn feats at a setting easier than Pilgrim.

If they want to lock the settings in Custom in such a way that the easiest achievable setting is equal to Pilgrim in order to open up feat progression to Custom games, I'm all for that... It would be hard to do because if you set everything equivalent to Pilgrim and then, say, turn off sprains, you have a game that is technically easier than Pilgrim... just the same as you get a game that is harder than Loper by starting with Loper settings and then turning off condition recovery (i.e. deadman).

Edited by UpUpAway95

10 hours ago, xanna said:

It works in custom so long as you set the Base Resource Allocation to anything other than "low" (which is the Interloper setting). I have done this on my usual minimum-loot custom and found the Tale.

Thank you for explaining. Glad it works on custom. This will give me a bit more room to tweak the settings to make it more challenging. I'm not fond of stalker since I'm more interested in being against the natural elements than agaisnt the endless wolves, that leaves me with voyager, which is a tad on too easy side for me.

Another question. Can someone explain please how the radio works? I went to the airfield and found the radio. I fixed the airfield transmission booth. When I found the radio, a glimmer fog set in. So, I went outside and walked around the airfield a bit, but for the life of me I don't understand what this radio is supposed to be doing? It has two channels and neither is doing anything. I see the screen has an arrow. Is that arrow supposed to be pointing in the direction of a cache or another tower? That radio isn't doing a thing and that arrow isn't moving.

1 hour ago, bladerunner900 said:

I completed about 1/3 of the badges on Loper. The rest I earned on the other modes. I could probably do them all on Loper now but in the early days I was learning the ropes and steered clear of Loper. Besides, the rifle was cool and later the revolver. Now I love the bow, which reminds me. No Woodwright's on Loper. What's up with that?

I think you're confusing Feats with Challenge Badges.  The challenges (e.g. Hopeless Rescue, The Hunted, Nomad, Archivist, As the Dead Sleep, etc.) each have their own set difficulty that cannot be changed by the player (that is, you are not asked to choose a difficulty before the challenge starts and cannot change it from within the challenge either).  Conversely, feats are earned in any of the survival standard difficulties, including Pilgrim; but are not available in custom survival runs.  You can also progress feats within Challenge runs.  Feat progression can also take place over multiple saves of different difficulties (just not custom).  The one challenge that also provides a feat is "Escape the Darkwalker" which gives the player the "Darkwalker" feat and the "Escape the Darkwalker" and "Escape the Darkwalker - Deadly Dreamer Badge.  The new Tales: Signal Void badge is listed in the Challenge badges section; not the feats.

There are also special events badges, like 4DON... those can be played in any standard difficulty, as far as I know; but not custom (I haven't actually participated in any of those events, so someone else will have to confirm or correct me on this).

Since Tales: Signal Void is a challenge badge, I really don't see it as being much different than the other Challenges, like Hopeless Rescue, that have their own specific set difficulty that is not Interloper.

17 minutes ago, TheOtherBob said:

The fact that it can be done in three different difficulties but not in the fourth makes it very different.  It also makes the badge completely meaningless.

I said "much the same" not "exactly the same."  Challenge badges are meaningless... they don't offer any in-game benefits to the player... so, do one run in stalker to earn the badge.  I presume you were willing to do "Hopeless Rescue" not as an Interloper to earn that badge, right... so, the fact that you cannot get it in standard interloper now shouldn't stop you if the badge is what you're after.

As for being able to play the Tale in Interloper - I've said it before... you're welcome to try to change HL's mind.  I'm about Custom, so my concerns rest around Custom... so, here I am, trying to change their mind about not allowing feat progression in Custom and encouraging them to add a way to enable Tales separate from baseline resources in Custom.  I really don't see why people are so against me on that.  It has no bearing on their trying to change HL's mind about allowing the Tales to be played also in standard interloper.

Essentially... we're on the same side... just different POV's.  The fact remains - HL made their decision consciously and intentionally... they thought about it... and in either argument (yours and mine), it's quite possible they may not change their minds... and we don't know what their ultimate vision for Tales is when its complete.  It is quite possible that they are planning an "Interloper" Tale... one that won't be able to be played in Pilgrim.  We just don't know at this point.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 2

@TheOtherBob.  I have nearly froze to death during blizzards and that was with wolf coats and all the other ' best gear possible. Just because I enjoy the actual searching for loot and relaxed atmosphere of pilgrim it doesn't make it a total walk in the park!  And you do not find all that gear immediately either. The feat starts when you do and so do the blizzards.  

And have you forgotten what pleasant valley is famous for?😁

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, tulkawendark said:

Can someone explain please how the radio works?

Sure.

As you saw, there are two modes - blue and orange. The blue mode is for the Tale related to the radio towers you are tasked with repairing, so the blue signal won't do much straight away. The orange mode picks up signals from loot caches, and works without the repairs to all the radio towers, so you can use it straight away, in glimmer fog and an aurora.

The dial on the top isn't an arrow, but a signal strength meter. If you turn around on the spot, the meter needle will move right to show a stronger signal when you are facing the right direction. Walk in that direction, keeping an eye on the dial. If it drops off, turn around until the signal get stronger again. As you get closer to the loot cache, the light on the side will flash more often to show you are closer. Eventually you'll be standing on a spot that you can search to uncover a loot cache.

If you aren't getting a signal at all, then you're not nearby a cache. Wander around until it starts to move.

Edited by xanna
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, xanna said:

Sure.

Hide contents

As you saw, there are two modes - blue and orange. The blue mode is for the Tale related to the radio towers you are tasked with repairing, so the blue signal won't do much straight away. The orange mode picks up signals from loot caches, and works without the repairs to all the radio towers, so you can use it straight away, in glimmer fog and an aurora.

The dial on the top isn't an arrow, but a signal strength meter. If you turn around on the spot, the meter needle will move right to show a stronger signal when you are facing the right direction. Walk in that direction, keeping an eye on the dial. If it drops off, turn around until the signal get stronger again. As you get closer to the loot cache, the light on the side will flash more often to show you are closer. Eventually you'll be standing on a spot that you can search to uncover a loot cache.

If you aren't getting a signal at all, then you're not nearby a cache. Wander around until it starts to move.

Thank you for explaining. 😊 I found it strange that the arrow, no matter which direction I faced, always remained on the left side and didn't move. Maybe I'm too far from stuff.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TheOtherBob said:

No.  I  did As The Dead Sleep for the challenge.  I did Hopeless Rescue to see how fast I could do it and will likely do it again to see how much I can improve on my time.  I will do the same for Hunted one and two as well as Escape The Darkwalker, when I get around to them.

The only challenges I've done 'just for the badge' so far are Nomad and Whiteout and I did them simply so I can eventually get the achievement for completing all the challenges.  Those two were excruciatingly boring and a total grind because they are childishly easy, just like voyageur and stalker are.

That doesn't change the fact that you were willing to play those challenges in difficulties other than Loper regardless of your exact reasons for being willing.  It doesn't matter that you didn't do it just for the badge... you still did it.  So, IF the player wants the badge, not being able to get it in custom shouldn't be the ONLY THING (which is what that player stating) stopping them from playing the DLC.

I get that you're angry.  I get that you and others are disappointed.   I don't think that alone is necessarily going to convince HL to change their minds on the matter though.  They thought about.  They have reasons (regardless of whether they've told us those reason or sidestepped with an "excuse.")  It's just the way it is... don't be mad at me just because I'm advocating for Custom instead of joining you in expressing an ire over interloper that I dont' share simply because I don't play interloper.  I play custom... and I'm not even angry at HL for things like not allowing feat progression in custom... but I'd still love to produce a logical argument that will convince them to change their minds about it.

1 hour ago, TheOtherBob said:

I want the gameplay.  I want the engaging exclusive new content

That's what I want too.  If it means I have to bring up a completely new stalker run to get it, I will, but boy, that's a lot of grinding to get to the point where my 500 day interloper Astrid is right now.

I think it's pretty clear that all or almost all disappointed interloper players don't care about the loot, because we didn't get any of the cool new gear with the last major release, and no one really cared because reduced loot is central to the interloper mode.  I'd like the badge, but that's a very low priority for me.

• Upvote 6

18 hours ago, TheOtherBob said:

Exactly.  It's been clear to me since about a month after I started playing this game in mid March of 2017 that what's needed the most are goals to achieve. 

I started on voyageur and found that by day 50, I couldn't even get cold outside unless it was both night time and a raging blizzard.  I took the opportunity to learn all the maps that existed back then by scouring them for bunkers and hidden places I hadn't found yet. I got my 100 day achievement on April 15th of 2017. I got bored and tried stalker and found it was basically just voyageur plus extra wolves and cabin fever. 

I started using the bow to get rid of the weight of the rifle and eventually decided to try interloper.  I survived my first full day in interloper on August 1st 2017 and had survived 50 days in interloper by August 22nd.  The last time I had an interloper character die was June 18th of 2018.  My longest run has been 140 days.  By then, I'm so bored there's nothing left to do other than start a new run and relive the early game struggle.

I bought the DLC because I thought the tales mechanic would finally extend the game a bit. 

Apparently not.

Have you played NOGOA/Deadman on Custom yet? With or without Tales it won't get easy and boring as Interloper does when you are maxed out.

Or try out Relentless Night mod

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

You know, in the interest of keeping this positive, I really, really like the way the acorns work in the game, and the fire-hardened arrows do have their niche to fill.  Mostly very early game.

I actually don't :D

The acorns require you to carry along 2kg of dead weight in form of a heavy hammer (which usually can be found in the vicinity  of forges, no need to bring one along) and it's much easier to kill rabbits with stones than with the bow, especially if Archery is not maxed and you can't crouch while aiming.

11 minutes ago, ChillPlayer said:

I actually don't :D

The acorns require you to carry along 2kg of dead weight in form of a heavy hammer (which usually can be found in the vicinity  of forges, no need to bring one along) and it's much easier to kill rabbits with stones than with the bow, especially if Archery is not maxed and you can't crouch while aiming.

I think we've got a fundamentally different take on the matter.  First of all, I always carry the hammer in my interloper runs because I find it's the quickest way to get a wolf off you.  In interloper, the damage they cause to your gear is maybe even worse than the injuries, so I like to get them off quickly if I screw up and end up fighting one for some reason.

Second, I like the addition of things like the acorns and bow that aren't "optimal" by any stretch, but maybe still useful under certain in extremis situations.  I've been in a few pickles in interloper where I'm starving to death and I would have welcomed even those acorns.  Early game, I could easily see the fire-hardened arrows being useful for rabbits before you've been able to make a forge run, but after you have a bow and cured birch saplings.   Or maybe when you run out of "real" arrows and you just need to hunt a bit of quick food.

• Upvote 2

On 3/31/2023 at 12:54 PM, Dr. S. said:

This content is part of a larger game and the tone, experience, and enjoyment of that larger game is set by the choice of level. I've barely played at all on stalker (it didn't seem that different from Voyageur to me, and the idea of more wolves doesn't seem that interesting). Why should I be forced to play on stalker to enjoy this content? If interloper is one of the "standard" ways to play, why is this content excluded? I guess the tales aren't actually part of "standard" TLD after all?

No they aren’t. It’s a paid DLC so they are not part of the standard game. And as I have already mentioned the narrative nature of the tales go against the pure survival that is interloper. No one is forcing you to play interloper. If you want to play the tales but cannot go withought difficulty do stalker

• Upvote 2

On 4/2/2023 at 7:04 AM, TheOtherBob said:

That's not an explanation.  That's a quick sidestep.  What are 'the goals of the tale'?  If the 'constraint that makes the experience enjoyable' is so important to the Hinterland of 2023, why are there ravaged deer carcasses, lockers, chests, and backpacks containing random loot, and fishing boats full of fish washing up all along the coastlines in four regions after every blizzard in the very same update?  Why are there craftable crampons in interloper?

Even the transmitters and all the parts to fix them are showing up in interloper.  There's been a car battery on a table inside Hibernia found in interloper.  It was clearly put there to repair the transmitter just outside.  If they never intended it to be in interloper, that battery wouldn't be in the interloper loot tables.  It would be in a car somewhere like batteries always have been.

Modders have found that literally all that's keeping the tale from working in interloper is that the handheld receiver and the note that kicks off the tale are missing from the location where they are found in the other modes.  Everything else is in the game.

They didn't make it available in interloper because they couldn't be bothered to balance its loot for interloper, plain and simple. 

Ravaged deer carcass: you ignore the fact that Ravaged carcasses have little to no meat on them whatsoever. Lockers,Chests,Backpacks: so your upset you get stuff? Fish boats:reliable food source late game when almost all other animals aren’t spawning, and you didn’t complain about beach combing before the update, but let me guess, its “not the same”. Craftable crampons: not only are they not as good as normal crampons but do you know what crampons do? Less chance for sprains (shouldn’t be a problem in the first place) and easier traveling on weak ice (also shouldn’t be a problem). And as i told the others nothing is forcing you to play interloper. You can easily just start up a stalker game and play it that way. And before you ask “well why do i have to do it on stalker?????” I have already answered that question

• Upvote 2

On 4/2/2023 at 6:57 AM, TheOtherBob said:

If interloper is not meant to be an exploration mode, why are there polaroids in interloper? Why does Faithful Cartographer work in interloper?  Finally, why did Hinterland just add empty prepper caches hidden in the least traveled parts of nine of the maps to interloper?

Polaroids:players who have not yet memorized the map use these to map them out. cartographer:just because you can get this achievement does not mean that interloper is an exploratory mode, the game in no way pushes you to do this in loper mode and it is a choice by the player, not the game devs. prepper chaches:loot

• Upvote 2