TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY, Part Two is Here!

Admin

22 minutes ago, Renn said:

Which is currently not the case, as Tales are not available as a separate custom setting. Nor is Glimmer Fog, also a recent addition.

Correct - and that's why I'm asking for them to put in the missing toggle(s)... and yes, I forgot to ask for a toggle for the Glimmer Fog as well.

That's my bigger concern... with everyone so wrapped up in "perfecting" the standard difficulties to their individual likings, HL seems to be forgetting their Custom menu tools and not keeping them current with new additions to the game.  As I said before, I hope they do commit to expanding the custom options.  Some toggles, of course, won't be possible due to tech limitations, but I'm hoping that they'll at least consider it.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Renn said:

To everyone saying that us "hardcore" interloper fans can just create a Stalker game and experience the Tale all the same, or just make a custom game, I have to ask:

What if it was the other way around? What if, in the update video yesterday (and not any time before that) they announced that the Tale would only be available in Interloper, because they felt the lower difficulties didn't need extra loot and incentives. Would you be responding the same way you are now? Would you be like "Well, we'll just create a completely new run on Interloper for one time to experience the Tale! It's no big deal!"

Or would you be upset that you didn't get to experience the Tale the way you wanted to?

Or, let me guess, it's "not the same".

Yes i would. I spent my own money on this of course im going to get what i payed for

36 minutes ago, Renn said:

To everyone saying that us "hardcore" interloper fans can just create a Stalker game and experience the Tale all the same, or just make a custom game, I have to ask:

What if it was the other way around? What if, in the update video yesterday (and not any time before that) they announced that the Tale would only be available in Interloper, because they felt the lower difficulties didn't need extra loot and incentives. Would you be responding the same way you are now? Would you be like "Well, we'll just create a completely new run on Interloper for one time to experience the Tale! It's no big deal!"

Or would you be upset that you didn't get to experience the Tale the way you wanted to?

Or, let me guess, it's "not the same".

I am sure they could have communicated it better and earlier. I play both Interloper and custom games. To be quite honest, I think if they had added it to vanilla Interloper, that would have been derided by many as well. I think a lot would see that as watering down interloper. 

In many ways, it is a bit damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Perhaps it was a bit cavalier by me to say "just make a custom game" - but all caps is a bit triggering.

Any news on the disappearing limbs bug, @Admin.  . I've just spent a few very uncomfortable nights in twm!  Again.    Plus I briefly had an issue with the black screen at the main menu. The htl logo didn't show so I had to remove the disc and try again.   

Thanks guys! Still loving the game 😊

53 minutes ago, Dr. S. said:

You're always free to leave the loot behind and just play for the challenge of finding it.

If it’s just for the challenge of finding it then play it on stalker. The points of loper is to be the hardest most cutthroat mode. Not to be an exploration mode like the others. The description even says For expert players looking for the ultimate wilderness Survival challenge

Edited by Moosemaster
  • Upvote 1

Xbox/Steam platform

LOVE IT!!!!!

So very much worth the wait,  since sandbox TLD has never disappointed me. 
 Proud to be a GBI survivor. 

Thank you Raph and all the Hinterland crew for the countless hours of dedication, so important that you all know how much you are appreciated ❤️   

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Jotunheim said:

...To be quite honest, I think if they had added it to vanilla Interloper, that would have been derided by many as well. I think a lot would see that as watering down interloper. 

I've seen this a few times and don't quite understand it. Why not adjust the loot like they would at the plane crash (pv), summit, gold mine, or other high loot areas?

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, UpUpAway95 said:

why does it always boil down to pressuring HL to change their take on their standard difficulty?

Always?  I don't know about always, but Hinterland made some nice changes to the interloper standard difficulty with the last major release:  my interloper run has a gin-u-wine store-bought hunting knife, a revolver, and a fisherman's sweater.  These dilute the difficulty a little bit, but the new loot was such a welcome addition because they give you a reason to explore the entire map.  As it turns out, the only one of the three things that's a significant boost is the hunting knife.  Sweater is seond place.

I was hoping HL would engineer a "difficulty appropriate" way for interloper players to enjoy the new content.  That doesn't sound wildly unreasonable or demanding to me.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

Always?  I don't know about always, but Hinterland made some nice changes to the interloper standard difficulty with the last major release:  my interloper run has a gin-u-wine store-bought hunting knife, a revolver, and a fisherman's sweater.  These dilute the difficulty a little bit, but the new loot was such a welcome addition because they give you a reason to explore the entire map.  As it turns out, the only one of the three things that's a significant boost is the hunting knife.  Sweater is seond place.

I was hoping HL would engineer a "difficulty appropriate" way for interloper players to enjoy the new content.  That doesn't sound wildly unreasonable or demanding to me.

It's not... but also think about the possibility that the next Tale might be created as an "interloper only" challenge and that will balance things out... encouraging staunch standard stalker players to step out of their norm and play something a little differently.  What's unreasonable is the claim that interloper players are "being ignored" or that they cannot still play the DLC... and the insinuation (blanket assumption) that non-interloper players don't like difficulty as much as interloper players do.

The release vid tells me that HL did not make this choice without thinking about it... and it doesn't preclude the notion that interloper players can still play a custom stalker game where they've manipulated the other existing tools to increase that difficulty back up to and even beyond standard interloper difficulty.  A standard difficulty is HL's vision regardless of which one it is... Pilgrim, Voyageur, Stalker, and Interloper and I respect their choices - whatever they are - in that regard.  HL has historically only given the player the ability to craft their own experience within Custom; so.  I don't think it is unreasonable to ask them to continue to expand on custom (and I don't think "interloper" players should necessarily assuming that "custom" players are only driven to make the game easier than loper.)

• Upvote 1

I didn't read all the comments, maybe this has been suggested earlier but why not make a new play mode called "Interloper Tales" besides of "Interloper" ? So everyone would be happy I guess?

Edited by yoli
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Glacia said:

I agree with @Serenity about the DLC concept, actually i find the update truly awesome.

The problem about excluding the tales of Interloper isn't exactly about balance. As stated several times, experienced players can survive even in bad scenarios without needing any special mechanic.

Interloper players don't need the Tales but instead want them. That's exactly why everyone is complaining about the update!, Hinterland focuses on balance and this is good, but interloper have reached a point where keep excluding features or items it's meaningless. 

Not everything it's balance, it's rather about the experience. Yes interlopers can't use firearms but can use weapons and hunt, the same applies to inferior tools or clothing pieces, you can still survive after all. But the Tales are a new gameplay experience, keeping interlopers out of this makes a bad feeling about the game. 

I think Interloper it's working as intended for a very long time ago, we don't need changes about the content we can play or not. The challenge works as intended, so it's better to let the players do the new content at late game.

Also, while i haven't experienced the content yet, i think wandering at night with a full aurora during interloper early game seems very.. crazy. You should do it at late game and again this is not a problem of balance because you should already have everything to endless survive.

Thank you for this feedback. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Admin said:

Hi @Leeandathis is a known issue we have resolved, however, if you lost your WINTERMUTE saves, we are happy to assist via the Support Portal: http://hinterlandgames.com/support

I'll have to recheck in the morning but I don't think they're there.  And this was after I did the update this morning. Thank you. I'll let you know if there's a problem.  

I really don't want to do that bear again!😊

1 hour ago, Moosemaster said:

If it’s just for the challenge of finding it then play it on stalker. 

This content is part of a larger game and the tone, experience, and enjoyment of that larger game is set by the choice of level. I've barely played at all on stalker (it didn't seem that different from Voyageur to me, and the idea of more wolves doesn't seem that interesting). Why should I be forced to play on stalker to enjoy this content? If interloper is one of the "standard" ways to play, why is this content excluded? I guess the tales aren't actually part of "standard" TLD after all?

• Upvote 8

17 minutes ago, Dr. S. said:

This content is part of a larger game and the tone, experience, and enjoyment of that larger game is set by the choice of level. I've barely played at all on stalker (it didn't seem that different from Voyageur to me, and the idea of more wolves doesn't seem that interesting). Why should I be forced to play on stalker to enjoy this content? If interloper is one of the "standard" ways to play, why is this content excluded? I guess the tales aren't actually part of "standard" TLD after all?

They are DLC... so, yeah, not part of the main game.  If it is about "tone" for you, then why not suggest they expand the custom menus in ways that would ensure that, regardless of the way the DLC goes ahead into the future, you can reproduce the specific "tone" you like, regardless whether or not it matches a "standard" difficulty envisioned by HL?

For example, I'd like to see the sliders that affect loot amounts to be given an even broader range so that I could play a run with less than loper supplies in containers... changing the "tone" of that run.  If I were able to also change the custom sliders without starting a new run, I could craft a run where the loot in containers completely disappears after so many days in the file or different types of loot starts to appear... again, customizing the tone of that run and, perhaps, avoiding the mid to late-game boredoms that so many players complain about.

Instead - you're just challenging HL's "reasoning" for deciding to leave a single Tale out of Interloper... not considering that only know what they are planning for when this DLC is complete.  I don't think it's me that has it backwards.

31 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

I don't see that happening.

I think it is very much a possibility.  Would anyone blink if HL decided to leave the upcomping cougars out of Pilgrim mode instead of making a "passive" version that runs off with its tail between its legs?  What if the Tale for that segement involves the cougar?  Wouldn't it seem likely then if that particular Tale was not accessible in Pilgrim mode?

• Upvote 2

I understand why people who mostly or exclusively play interloper are disappointed that some of the new content is absent in that mode. I don't understand why other people feel the need to tell us we're living our lives wrong.

• Upvote 7