March 2021 Developer Diary

Admin

The second deer (behind the bus) does not fit my definition of photobombing. Photobombing - as I understand it - means someone appears on a photo although he/she is not meant to be there. And both deer may be there, I would think, since the prison is likely deserted by now, and on top the access road seems to be still outside of the prison proper.

I have searched the picture for a couple of minutes now and am completely mystified. Is it the fuzzy thing on top of the tree to the right? Hard to make out what it is, could be a regular part of the tree. Maybe @Raphael van Lierop can bring light into the dark here?

11 hours ago, Karl Grylls said:

Don't worry, think it will come in August/September, maybe even July. Then i could play it right off the bat

I don't think there's any chance whatsoever for July, even August seems bit of a strech. They've not even released a teaser trailer yet, not to mention actual trailer

The crew should have summer vacations coming up too

Edited by Mistral

2 hours ago, Mistral said:

I don't think there's any chance whatsoever for July, even August seems bit of a strech. They've not even released a teaser trailer yet, not to mention actual trailer

The crew should have summer vacations coming up too

Raphael said in the diary, that the biggest part of the work is done. He also said that the team is about to add new parts which is unusual in this stage of development, but it's been three months since then. Summer vacation is a valid point. But i consider the videos in the starting post a teaser. I don't think the release will take too long, but we will see. It's done when it's done :)

I am also looking forward SO much to the next release.

In the past Raph and DEVs have demonstrated that they are more interested in getting it right than 'on time' and I am so glad that they are.

In the future I will not be interested in how long it took them to get the new releases pushed but I very much will care about the quality of the work.

I understand, I am chomping at the bit as well but I am so grateful that they care enough to get it right the first time.

Yay DEVs! :)

On 6/19/2021 at 6:15 AM, Stinky socks said:

Well, the wires could be heading to the mainland. I doubt they were able to get all their power from that Carter dam.

You don't see powerlines crossing water very often..many reasons why.

You'd be surprised how much power a damn can produce running at full efficiency. 

• Like 1

On 6/21/2021 at 10:54 PM, Dum_Gen said:

Now Raphael claims there is a photobomb. If anyone's more inspective, go ahead.

We can clearly see through the Blackrock Penitentiary sign and there is a semi transparent deer right next to the penitentiary wall (top left of the deer in the middle. we can only see the antlers and the legs). Also, i don't think that the paler spot on the wall in the middle of the picture is due to lightning. Maybe there is some sort of snow accumulation mecanic? Or maybe i am just overthinking this haha

20210704_144052~3.jpg

PSX_20210704_154159~2.jpg

20210704_144052~2.jpg

• Upvote 2

Hmmm. 3 wires leave the Dam and 3 wires enter the Prison area..... is this a clue to the direction of the prison complex?  Do the wires leaving the Dam go towards the Prison perhaps? I've tried to get a better view from the rocks in the Winding River but didn't get much. It did make me think the Prison could be North of Mystery lake when you are looking at the 'Great Bear ' map. That would put it neatly between Pleasant Valley and Mountain Town, both of which have ready made access points........

All the other areas seem to heve one wire connections. 'Bobsdecline' on youtube does make mention of an older Canadian electrical system that uses one wire and a ground return..... Just putting things together and waiting for the survival update and wondering where to take supplies to be ready for the next update 😉 I was at the Camp Office but think I will change that now. That gives me the choice of Mountain Town or Pleasant Valley...... do I want to eat dog or deer/fish.....

Its the best game ever!

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Nicktrcat said:

Hmmm. 3 wires leave the Dam and 3 wires enter the Prison area..... is this a clue to the direction of the prison complex?  Do the wires leaving the Dam go towards the Prison perhaps? I've tried to get a better view from the rocks in the Winding River but didn't get much. It did make me think the Prison could be North of Mystery lake when you are looking at the 'Great Bear ' map. That would put it neatly between Pleasant Valley and Mountain Town, both of which have ready made access points........

Its the best game ever!

I think you're on to something.  The other side of that is the developers like to make you travel long distances, which would put the prison a strong distance away from desolation point, which I think is where Perseverance Mills is going to be.  

Also, consider where the episodes show the prisoners crashing and where they were heading.  They crashed in mountain town, would they really be trying to get back to the prison? PV is probably headed the other way??  

But, the last antagonist at the end of Carter Hydro is the primary antagonist of the next episode in the prison, so Winding River is a likely connection point, perhaps through a cave?

I'd put it right on top of ML between MT and PV.

TLD_regions.png

• 2 weeks later...

I see a number of people commenting on having only played episode 1, maybe 2 as well.  Without having finished episode 3...  And not really excited about the pending episode 4 launch. 

Is that the norm?  I feel like so much of the survival mode "story" is missing by neglecting that part.  Hinterland has definitely given us our money's worth with the expansive survival mode, but THE STORY IS FANTASTIC AND WELL WRITTEN!!! I've been freaking out for months now waiting on episode 4!  

Granted, I haven't managed to finish "As The Dead Sleep", but I've worn out the survival mode for myself.  Nomad isn't hard, but it is a huge pain in the ...

Now I'm just killing time waiting on the next release.

Is it just me?

• Like 2

I am waiting too - and I am laughing about Raphael's tweet "We really need the equivalent of "no TV until you've finished your homework" ".
Not for billionaires, but for game devs, that are not able to write a weekly Milton Mailbox entry but post on Twitter several times a day. At the same time tweeting "I should work and playtest stuff but ...". 

Don't get me wrong, I do love the game and appreciate the fun, I got out of playing it. But I would really love to see the next episodes released.

Edited by mfuegemann
typo
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 3

On 7/21/2021 at 4:41 PM, mfuegemann said:

I am waiting too - and I am laughing about Raphael's tweet "We really need the equivalent of "no TV until you've finished your homework" ".
Not for billionaires, but for game devs, that are not able to write a weekly Milton Mailbox entry but post on Twitter several times a day. At the same time tweeting "I should work and playtest stuff but ...". 

Don't get me wrong, I do love the game and appreciate the fun, I got out of playing it. But I would really love to see the next episodes released.

I think it should be done for billionaires too, as they should be fixing the planet they're destroying instead of using phallic ships to escape it altogether! No more rockets until you fix micro usb's being packaged in 10 pieces of plastic bags, Jeff!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 4

It seems a long time since there was anything new or anything fixed in TLD.   I have hardly touched TLD for months. although I occasionally check out the forum.  There has been no news of any new developments about to be released so I guess I'll have little reason to get back to playing for at least a couple of months.

The low number of comments in the forum suggest that many other people have lost interest too.

I suspect that in about 3 months there will a load of fixes, the next episode, a new region and a Halloween Special all released in a short space of time.

I wish HTL would spread out updates and new features throughout the year. It would sustain interest and activity and might even help their sales figures.

In fairness it has  been a long  and difficult year for everyone! Work has been affected badly for many companies and have either had to resort to working at home or limited time in office! I'm sure hinterland have given their all to do what they can in game and supporting its fan base! I for one don't expect them to do anymore than they can and are doing!

Remember that episode 4 is just a few clicks away so please have patience!

• Like 1