March 2021 Developer Diary

Admin

If things went wrong at HTL and that there was nothing else, which I very much doubt, I would not want a refund.  TLD has been the best value activity, entertainment, that I have had in my whole life.

If they were having problems, which I doubt, and asked for voluntary donations to help keep HTL going I'd pay up.

Edited by peteloud
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 2

It sounds like everyone here just wants some kind of news from the devs. Even if is little, or frustrations, or needing hiring, or bug counts, or etc. It's not about anyone being impatient, or demanding deadlines. 

I've said this once, I'll say it again; look at Factorio, every damn Friday, right on their homepage, a link to the weekly update, for 360 weeks. I think this helped them, even if it is just saying they need hiring (even trying to pull from the community) or frustration with code (and sometimes the community has good input). They would have rough, ambiguous targets for when they would release a big update, and if they missed it, maybe people we sad, but no one mad. They just liked being in the loop. And and time again, those people that were sad, also said they would rather Wube spend a little more time polishing the update, rather than rush it!

Other great examples for communication are Foxhole, Satisfactory, Subnautica (especially when talking about transparency with bug reports / feedback), Hydroneer. They all communicate with different means, but they all did it someone regularly, and it helped build the content. 

As an aside, in architecture school, we were quickly taught not to spend too much time on a 3D model of a design, because we had to be willing to let go if a client didn't like it or it didn't quite work. I sometimes wonder in HTL gets married to ideas, push it out, and then don't yield if it is not liked because they put too much time into it (personally, I am thinking of the cooking mechanics which I had several disagreements about).

Anyways, that's my little rant... err... contribution to the discussion.

• Upvote 5
  • Like 2

Not angry? Some who will remain nameless certainly are!! I for one don't give a flying fig about any of it! I got this game because it appealed to me not because I wanted constant freebies! There are more important things in life than getting stressed over a bloody game! Albert a very good one! Htl give out a lot more than some games I could mention, some don't even have a go to website! 

As for taking the word of someone who supposedly worked there for 5 minutes, I suggest that you stop listening to these people and either play the game as is or stop shouting abuse on the forum! People come on here for help and advice and not to get their ears bashed!  So just CHILL out!

No I am not angry just trying to make my point!😃

Communication really is the point though.  
Hinterland gave their word about the product that was being paid for, it’s not unreasonable for people who purchased the product to expect the remaining updates to be honored.  
Kinda  like a warranty…,
Granted, HTL never gave a solid timetable that they are confined to, if episode 4 shows up in 2024 and E5 in 2030 they would still have honored their commitment. 
But, as has been mentioned, converse with your customer base. It’s the *right* thing to do.  

Until then, I’m still trying to learn how to hunt with the bow. I STINK at it!!

• Upvote 1

I'm inclined to agree with the rant. I tend to look at the Dev/Player relationship (particularly in a game that's not fully post development yet) as that of a romantic relationship. Communication and support are absolutely crucial to a healthy, lasting bond. I find it extremely frustrating to look at an unfinished product and realize it's been nearly 6 months since so much as a 'things are on fire and we're ripping our hair out, but still chugging along!' from the folks working at it. 

Weekly updates would be a lot, but even once a month would be nice and maybe a road map somewhere, where we can SEE what progress has been made and still needs doing. 

Ultimately people are right to be a little salty if the return on their investment is looking a little stale. A little 'we're still here and all is well' goes a long way.

Edited by ElleJoy
Typoooo
  • Upvote 4
  • Like 3

And so it begins.

Screenshot_20210901-164130_Opera.thumb.jpg.63cc13f0ca3fa42824e70ee34c0ef5e0.jpg

The avalanche of destruction is wreaking havoc silently in the background. I wonder if @kchiortu was right though all along. Hmm🤔 perhaps I shall log a few more hours in my majestic bear hunts before the long darkness falls upon the great bear. Fear not, I have inspirational words. Behold: "But we will overcome and will rise out of the ashes. The life will go on and human kind shall not be erased from the existence."

14 hours ago, ElleJoy said:

Communication and support are absolutely crucial to a healthy, lasting bond.

Not only that, but I think it helps the devs too in perhaps unexpected ways. Imagine what Subnautica would have been if not for the feedback!

14 hours ago, ElleJoy said:

Ultimately people are right to be a little salty if the return on their investment is looking a little stale. A little 'we're still here and all is well' goes a long way.

I wouldn't even be salty if they put in no more work, I feel it is pretty complete already (at least from an open-world survival game). I'm just waiting for it to be confined DONE, because I want to play the whole story in one duration, not piece meal over months and years. What makes me salty is wondering when/if it will get done, it is the uncertainty of it, or lack of deadline, even if just a target penciled-in guesstimated deadline*. I just hate how I am left wondering what is happening with the game. I still check up to see what is happening with Routine and RESET. I don't think those were ever confirmed to be abandoned. 

*Man... I can't wait to play KSP2 in spring of 2020!**

**But we all also knew there was no way THAT was going to happen, lol, especially with these past couple years!

• Upvote 1

On 9/1/2021 at 2:31 PM, ElleJoy said:

I tend to look at the Dev/Player relationship (particularly in a game that's not fully post development yet) as that of a romantic relationship. 

While I enjoy your perceptive description of a healthy relationship it makes me curious how you look upon the Dev/Player relationship as a romantic bond. When you involve a money transaction to get access to someone's body of work it is a relationship alright, though rarely the romantic kind.  

;)

Edited by manolitode

8 minutes ago, manolitode said:

When you involve a money transaction to get access to someone's body of work it is a relationship alright, though rarely the romantic kind 

Hmm, it might not be romantic, but the outcome is the same. But that might be my dirty mind being biased. (It sounds totally inappropriate in my head)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Stinky socks said:

Hmm, it might not be romantic, but the outcome is the same. But that might be my dirty mind being biased. (It sounds totally inappropriate in my head)

I'm surprised you noticed it before me! Yes you have a dirty mind! Fun isn't it😃

On 3/18/2021 at 6:52 PM, thekillergreece said:

I hope there will be Survival mode updates after Episode 4. Even more so I hope that region goes to survival mode as well.

I'm bit concerned with the overall "after Episode 4, we go Episode 5" without mentioning survival mode updates before Episode 5.

EDIT:

Personally, I believe Survival mode is not "technically completed". Mountain Lions / Cougars are missing. The wildlife's variety is very minimal, the AI is pretty basic, there are no NPCs, the variety on food items is also low, the gameplay mechanics are okay-ish and so on.
This is not meant to harshly criticize the devs, they did awesome job! But, I find it, in my opinion, bit concerning you call it complete when it probably isn't too complete. :P

I filled the survey. I hope the survival mode will be expanded beyond (and before) Episode 5 release!

I don't think a game like this could ever be "complete" as It has so much expansive potential. That being said because of the engine they used to make it back in the day and them not having any idea how explosive this game was going to get it's very limited on community modification.. even at all. 

Im hoping if they do bring out a new game they'll use a game engine that will be more open and willing to its community. 

It's an incredible game and I learned about it from the switch. I just bought a gaming computer and I purchased it again. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/31/2021 at 12:01 AM, peteloud said:

If things went wrong at HTL and that there was nothing else, which I very much doubt, I would not want a refund.  TLD has been the best value activity, entertainment, that I have had in my whole life.

If they were having problems, which I doubt, and asked for voluntary donations to help keep HTL going I'd pay up.

They should sign up for the brave browser rewards. I wouldn't mind donating more money with the brave tokens I get. 

I even Inquired before on a post I made where I could donate besides buying the game of course. Which I recently bought for my new gaming PC. I originally found it on the switch store. I wouldn't have minded if they put a donate button under the story mode episodes. I would have donated $5 minimum per episode. 

I know they have some obligation to the original Kickstarter campaign. But getting new followers to the genre I'm sure alot of people feel the same as I do. 

I believe in this studio. And it's awesome that it's in my own backyard. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kchiortu said:

las night i was talking with my best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend and he heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who sknows that the long dark will never be updated anymore

Well with such a reliable source as that I'm a believer!😀

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kchiortu said:

la noche estaba hablando con la novia del hermano del novio de la hermana de mi mejor amigo y escuchó de este chico que conoce a este chico que va con la chica que sabe que la larga oscuridad nunca más se actualizará

stop saying stupid things do not invent things that are not

• Like 1

On 9/2/2021 at 3:10 PM, manolitode said:

While I enjoy your perceptive description of a healthy relationship it makes me curious how you look upon the Dev/Player relationship as a romantic bond. When you involve a money transaction to get access to someone's body of work it is a relationship alright, though rarely the romantic kind.  

;)

Richard Gere and Julia Roberts would disagree

• Like 1

@kchiortu - Love the Ferris Bueller reference! I think some folks may have missed the irony that you were pointing out that most of this thread is merely idle speculation by all of us who have no direct idea of what is going on or why. :)

@ Funguy - If they are no longer advertising for a community engagement person, it probably means they have hired one. But even when you hire a person there is an oboarding process to get them up to speed on the company and how the role should be handled. Plans/strategies will be made and they will need to learn what is where and how things work. Give it some time. Its a huge job and anyone would need a little time to wrap their head around it all before jumping in and engaging with a forum.

@Funguy

Edited by FluffyComeHome
  • Upvote 1