More guns

BearClaw

This game isn't a shooter. This is what Raphael van Lierop already said about this topic.

I totally agree with this point and modern guns wouldn't match the setting of the game.

Moreover not a single gun you suggested uses bullets that can be properly reloaded with blackpowder. Thats are all modern firearms, what us NC-Powder instead of Blackpowder and NC-Powder you can't craft with simple tools and without a big understanding of chemistry.

Theoretically you could absolutely reload 12ga Shotgun Shells with blackpowder and you could shot it from a pump action shotgun. But Blackpowder does not burn without residue. The repeating mechanism would jam within a couple of shots.

What could work is a single or double barrel shotgun. They have no moving parts that can jam from blackpowder residue. Also a muzzle loader rifle would work and match the setting. It is of course single shot and not very accurate on longer distances. The reload take ages! Besides that you need to keep the gun dry, cause if it gets wet it won't fire.

Edited by AnotherColdDay
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Reloading shotgun shells is a thing, no biggie, just not that popular. My brother does it. And I like how the OP mentioned the Mossberg 590 - I have one of those and you can drop it in a river, then drag it through the mud, and it'll fire & cycle through an entire magazine with no fuss. Awesome firearm!

But nah, the guns in the game currently are already fine. No need to get all OP.

I'll take an atlatl tho!

• Upvote 1

Unless its muzzle loader, which can replace normal bolt action on higher difficulties (like low level of item spawn), with hand crafted paper cartridges, shotguns have no point. They could serve as selfdefence weapon, but they would be very effective, so revolver would be almost useless.

4 hours ago, Kranium said:

Reloading shotgun shells is a thing, no biggie, just not that popular.

Did you read my post about NC and Blackpowder? 🙄 I'm pretty sure your Brother did not load it with Blackpowder.

I repeat it is possible to reload the ammo with BP, but will make the gun dirty and unfunctional in no time.

Unless of this reloading of shotgun shells is easy. You even don't need a crimping machine for closing the case. You could do it with candlewax.

22 minutes ago,  Mr. 0 said: 

Unless its muzzle loader, which can replace normal bolt action on higher difficulties (like low level of item spawn), with hand crafted paper cartridges ...

If it has paper cartridges, it is not a muzzle loader. It would would be a single loader fallblock like the Sharps rifles.

And this kind of rifle has no point, beside the old repeating rifle that we already have. They are to similar.

•  
Edited by AnotherColdDay

Then there is no need for a new firearms. Unless shotgun would be optional replacemet for rifle and then you could adjust to your strategy of hunting.

Well, maybe except one gameplay feature for your Sharps with paper cartridges - ammo can get wet.

Edited by Mr. 0

Stuff needs a specific gameplay use, not just be placed in the world for its own sake. I don't put much stock in the blackpowder thing (I don't think anybody's going to complain that the ammunition chemistry is wrong. most players don't care if a caliber is off let alone the actual contents of the bullet) but you still can't just say "add more guns because I want them".

A double barreled shotgun is the next natural suggestion for adding to the game, but offers questions as to its mechanics. We already have weapons fufilling a good few purposes:

Bow: Economical, but difficult to use and not ideal against anything bigger than a wolf. Also has some more involved startup costs than simply finding it and shooting.

Revolver: Great for killing wolves and self-defense, not ideal for hunting.

Rifle: Capable of killing anything, but very heavy and with limited ammo.

Distress Pistol: The ultimate get out of jail free card, but has limited ammo and avaliability.

So, where does the shotgun fit in? IMO, the best place for it would be somewhere between the Revolver and Rifle, as creating something stronger than both the Rifle and Distress Pistol, or weaker than the Revolver/Bow seems unnecessary.

I think giving it the distinguishing factor of different ammotypes would be a good way to grant a shotgun its own mechanical gimmick. I'd suggest just two:

Birdshot: By far the most common ammotype. The ideal weapon for hunting birds or rabbits. (IMO, a shotgun update would need to come with the ability to kill and harvest birds) However, birdshot seriously struggles against wolves or anything larger, a single birdshot hit even to the head probably will probably cause a bleedout instead of an instant kill on a wolf.

Buckshot: Can easily kill Wolves and stands up next to the Rifle in terms of damage output, even capable of putting down a Bear or Moose, but is slightly rarer than even Rifle ammo. Still overall worse than the Rifle however, with the issue being range. Bear hunting is a lot easier if you can hit the bear before it notices you, while a buckshot shotgun's unlikely to have that luxury. Will ruin rabbits and bird carcasses if used to kill them.

With something like this, I think this ONE extra weapon could be squeezed out and have its own place in the game. Hard to see how you could fit in any more, though.

• Upvote 3

Hey Lexilogo! I really like your thoughts about the Shotgun.

Make a lot of sense, without make it overpowered. I like the most your thoughts about the two different ammo types for a shotgun. I would go further with the Buchskot, it could be stronger as the rifle is, but only on a very short distance 10 - 15 meters. After that, it starts to spread.

I just want to clarify a point that get maybe misunderstood by you about my comment with he Blackpowder. I really like the actual mechanic! It is very simplified compared to IRL but the core hits pretty much the real world situation about blackpowder. I bring this point to the table, cause the OP has a obviously a wrong understanding how ammo works. 

I'm not in favor of more guns...

I'll rehash what I've discussed about this subject before in many, many previous threads (and I recommend the search function as there has been a lot of really good discussion about this exact subject in several of those previous threads):

I think that with the addition of the Revolver I think we have all the weapons/defenses we could ever really need in this game. 

I am wary about stuffing in too many weapons into the game.  I am worried that adding too much could undermine the intended experience of the game.  I don't want to ever feel really safe in this game, the fun of playing for me is the constant threat and danger... the struggle of not being super well equipped.

I think it serves the game better to have to be cautious and aware of surrounding wildlife.  I wouldn't want to be able to roam around with impunity because I know I can just drive off/kill anything that crosses my path.  I'm not saying this suggestion would do that... I'm just concerned about the cumulative effect on gameplay of having too many weapons and defenses.

I am concerned about having too many weapons in the game... I don't really want to run around feeling like Gordon Freeman in this game... because I don't think it's that kind of game.

Also, it goes back again to that feeling of vulnerability.  I think if we have too many weapons, we end up feeling like we're safe...on top of the food chain again.  I'd argue that part of the heart of this game is the feeling of isolation and vulnerability.  That we don't have everything we need to be on top... that we have to struggle, move carefully, and gauge risk and reward.  I tend to think that adding a more and more weapons will undermine and greatly take away from that.  Which is why I don't think we need any more of them.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
The only weapon that I'd be curious about (and solely because Hinterland has discussed possibly reworking it for implementation into Survival Mode in the past) would be the Bear Spear.  While I think it's definitely not a necessity, I would be curious to see what Hinterland would come up with for it.  However, I still don't think we really need any more weapons in this game.

• Like 1

Hello fellas

Personally i don't feel the need of more weapons (although it could be entirely possible a remote northern island with plenty of weapons for hunting or used for defense by all the the workers and residents). Just because the game don't need it so much.

I'm in accord with @ManicManiac wrote above. Maybe the spear could have a legit role, given the moose and bear mechanics, and that's it. Not because it turns the game easier or harder or faster or slower. But for a matter of role fulfilling.

Sorry, english is not my main language.

• Like 1

As previously mentioned the shotgun would pair well with bird hunting (crow, partridge, capercaille) and rabbit hunting. It would be very hard to kill any other animal with it. It would be heavier than the rifle. The ability to make it a sawed-off shotgun would make it lighter but more useless, except for self defense and scaring of animals. 

I personally don't feel it would add anything to the game. A shotgun, even with birdshot, would destroy the tiny dogs in this game very easily....but the rifle already does this. So yeah. I mean, if they did add it in I wouldn't care, but I also don't care if they do. Firebows though.....

On 1/3/2021 at 4:06 AM, AnotherColdDay said:

Did you read my post about NC and Blackpowder? 🙄 I'm pretty sure your Brother did not load it with Blackpowder.

I repeat it is possible to reload the ammo with BP, but will make the gun dirty and unfunctional in no time.

Repeat it all you want, our experience tells a different story. It definitely was a fun project!

• 2 weeks later...

I think atleast a double barreled shotgun would fit very well into this game.
First, its a hunting environment, in an area where shotguns would be a practical tool to have while hunting.
Second, I HATE the rifle, the range is iffy, the iron sights suck, it weighs a ton, scares everything away, and once again, It weighs a TON.
Third, I think a double barrel would be a nice balance, only 2 shots before you need to reload, so nothing crazy, but its still useable against 1-2 wolves, or for scaring away a bear (And maybe having it bleed out quickly)
And Different ammo's too, would have different Upsides, and downsides, I think ammo such as Buckshot/Birdshot could contaminate meat, and make less usable meat available, atleast until a higher Carcass harvesting skill.
Maybe using a shotgun causes minor pain from using, (Even tho, from my experience 12 gauge is quite an managable round)
I'm trying to think of a few ways to balance it, and i've come up with 3, Limited Capacity, Meat contamination and possible negative effects for using it.

Once again, Just my opinions, so please don't take anything the wrong way, or get upset.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think the normal revolver could be buffed, and then a .22 lr gun could be added. 

if its a rifle, it could be a single shot bolt action. If a pistol, it could be something akin to a heritage Rough Rider. Single action, reloads via reload gate instead of swing out cylinder, so very slow. 

.22 lr could be used to scare off wolves, the report having a low chance of scaring off aggro’d wolves, but mainly, the .22 could be used to kill rabbits or other small game without wasting/ ruining the meat (i thought it was funny how a .303 wouldn’t straight obliterate a bunny). Also, .22 does very little to no damage to moose, bears, and deer besides scaring them off if not aggro’d. 

Eh. The endless discussion on more firearms for TLD. At most, I think the game might benefit from a double-barrel shotgun as a means of defense at close range against the big animals such as bear or Moose. Fired at close range, it could do some damage and scare the animal away. There was an argument that it would make revolver irrelevant - I dont agree with that. Revolver has its place as a weapon against wolves. It is entirely useless against big game. For that defense, most people use signal gun. That one has some uses, but I think firearm here would not hurt. Besides that, I would not want to see any more firearms in the game, at most some musket-type rifle but nothing else. 

More firearms is something best suited for a mod for the game for those who want them. But, that is all just my stance on the topic.

• 2 months later...

I don't think we need any more 'modern' Firearms such as the .308 that you mentioned. 

however, I'd really like a Muzzleloader added in. My preference would be a double-barrel Flintlock shotgun. Melting car battery lead into shot or round slugs. Maybe something we find in a distant mountain cabin, old atic storage locker, or ranger-station museum. 

Failing thst, an old 18th century gunsmith Journal book, describing how to forge a Flintlock shotgun (or musket) could 'Unlock' a crafting pattern to manufacture it yourself. Likely a difficult and resource intense effort.

I once had an idea for a percussion cap muzzleloader. It could only be found in a few select regions and you would need to craft gunpowder and caps at BI, as they don’t spawn naturally in the world. Shot could be made from metal scrap at a forge. It would be a very powerful rifle for big game hunting, but if you shot a deer, wolf, or rabbit with it it will destroy some of the meat and ruin the hide