What is your favorite homebase ?

Vareta

There are a multitude of possible homebases in all the regions but theres only one in which i feel like Im actually home. The trapppers homestead, its always been there since the start, its cozy, clean, has everything i need and most importantly its isolated. I like to think this little house embodies what this game is !

Do you have something like this ? If you have please share it here !

Thank you and a merry christmas to everybody !

Edited by Vareta
Missing tags
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 2

Hunter'sl Lodge in Broken Railroad.  A forge close by.  A six-burner stove and two fireplaces.  A workbench in the basement.  Often a moose out the front door and rabbits.  There's a bear just down below, along with deer, more rabits and plenty of wolves (which is why many avoid the area) all down below... but just one or maybe two patrolng by the lodge itself (easy to clear out).  The forge has a lovely outdoor porch with a bed and you can build a fire in the porch if you know the "just right" spot.  Lots of shelves for making scrap metal for forging arrowheads and such and for fixing the hacksaw.  Coal is somewhat limited at that forge, but it can be imported from Forlorn Muskeg if needed.

There is also a nice cave on the top level with rabbits out the front of it if you don't want to go down to the porch at the forge.

The only thing is lacks is a fishing hut.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Ps4Methuselah said:

Trappers was my favorite until i feasted my eyes upon foreman's retreat. You are literally living on an island in the sky... outdoor workbench just a stones throw away at miners folly, a bear & dear you can harvest from your front porch. As an added bonus the view is second none. The only drawback is there is no forge for hundreds of miles. 

I havent explored that region yet but it seems like a trappers with a Gerar view. Is it clean and neat inside?

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Hunter'sl Lodge in Broken Railroad.  A forge close by.  A six-burner stove and two fireplaces.  A workbench in the basement.  Often a moose out the front door and rabbits.  There's a bear just down below, along with deer, more rabits and plenty of wolves (which is why many avoid the area) all down below... but just one or maybe two patrolng by the lodge itself (easy to clear out).  The forge has a lovely outdoor porch with a bed and you can build a fire in the porch if you know the "just right" spot.  Lots of shelves for making scrap metal for forging arrowheads and such and for fixing the hacksaw.  Coal is somewhat limited at that forge, but it can be imported from Forlorn Muskeg if needed.

There is also a nice cave on the top level with rabbits out the front of it if you don't want to go down to the porch at the forge.

The only thing is lacks is a fishing hut.

The hunters lodge is absolutly awsome, it just has one problema for me... its way to messy and it takes a long while to get ris of all that trash.. the stove is a godsend that I know :) and the game right Next to it is also pretty nice.

• Upvote 1

Hands down, it's the Mountaineer's Hut in TimberWolf Mountain!

It's perfect for that seasoned adventurer that's willing to bring a few items along to improve the quality of life there.
The hut is perfectly suited for survival, providing ample storage as well as a crafting table.  The immediate environment provides 
an abundance of wood and sticks for firewood and the nearby prolific rabbit population will easily augment your dietary requirements
should you choose to avail yourself of those resources.  You gotta nearby fishing shack for food and lamp oil replenishment, not to mention
a consistently crazing deer population nearby and the nearby wolf population is manageable most of the time.  There's also the reoccurring bear 
spawn nearby that is easily dispatched when necessary, not to mention the moose spawn area that is close by as well.
On the plus side of course now is that if you wanna go to Ash Canyon, you're gonna go by hut to get there.  Bonus to getting that new backpack and
those crampons for when you feel like scaling the summt!

The Summit provides...

Only downside is that you wont find any two liter pots in TWM, nor is there a forge, so you'd have to bring a good supply of arrow heads, improvised axe and knifes along.  Also definite lack of scrap metal, so that becomes important as well, especially if you want to repair all those lanterns you'll be retrieving from the summit, lol:lantern:

screen_ad6d7079-ffce-4252-aa1c-ef5f1c4c9c6d_hi.thumb.png.7396707baed671f670c4dd1263a49f78.png

Edited by piddy3825
spelling
  • Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Ps4Methuselah said:

The only drawback is there is no forge for hundreds of miles. 

The fact that it requires a rope climb to get back disqualifies it as a base IMO. If you have a sprain, broken ribs, or are simply too tired to make the climb up you're screwed. That plus the lack of a work bench? Hard pass.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Ahatch said:

So many good options but the Camp Office always feels like home with Mystery Lake / fishing huts, bunny meadow across the road . Forge one way to Forlorn Muskeg and a short walk to the Ravine the other. 

I preferred to stay at the camp office too, but I like to hang out at the Orca Gas Station in Milton.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Ahatch said:

So many good options but the Camp Office always feels like home with Mystery Lake / fishing huts, bunny meadow across the road . Forge one way to Forlorn Muskeg and a short walk to the Ravine the other. 

Camp office was the place I always stayed before trappers, but for me it’s a little too messy and even has a damn body in it sometimes

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

It's perfect for that seasoned adventurer that's willing to bring a few items along to improve the quality of life there.
The hut is perfectly suited for survival, providing ample storage as well as a crafting table.  The immediate environment provides 
an abundance of wood and sticks for firewood and the nearby prolific rabbit population will easily augment your dietary requirements
should you choose to avail yourself of those resources.  You gotta nearby fishing shack for food and lamp oil replenishment, not to mention
a consistently crazing deer population nearby and the nearby wolf population is manageable most of the time.  There's also the reoccurring bear 
spawn nearby that is easily dispatched when necessary, not to mention the moose spawn area that is close by as well.
On the plus side of course now is that if you wanna go to Ash Canyon, you're gonna go by hut to get there.  Bonus to getting that new backpack and

The Summit provides...

Only downside is that you wont find any two liter pots in TWM, nor is there a forge, so you'd have to bring a good supply of arrow heads, improvised axe and knifes along.  Also definite lack of scrap metal, so that becomes important as well, especially if you want to repair all those lanterns you'll be retrieving from the summit, lol:lantern:

screen_ad6d7079-ffce-4252-aa1c-ef5f1c4c9c6d_hi.thumb.png.7396707baed671f670c4dd1263a49f78.png

Aside from the gaping hole in the ceiling yeah ! It’s a cozy little place to stay, that serves the perfect stopgap before starting your climb !

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

The Summit provides...

I can't imagine myself bothering to either haul all of that down from the summit or up the rope from PV.  How much meat did you also have piled outside?

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I can't imagine myself bothering to either haul all of that down from the summit or up the rope from PV.  How much meat did you also have piled outside?

I built two cairn for an additional 60 kilos of storage next to the hut and another outside the fishing shack for another 30 kilos of storage.  everything is full of cooked meat and there are still a couple of meatbags outside full of wolf and deer meat.🍴  The wolves leave me no choice but to kill them when they menace me and often I just run into them after they taken down a deer outside my frontdoor...  
Hauling down the loot is kinda easier now since the new area was introduced.  45 kilo unencumbered is nice don't you think?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

I built two cairn for an additional 60 kilos of storage next to the hut and another outside the fishing shack for another 30 kilos of storage.  everything is full of cooked meat and there are still a couple of meatbags outside full of wolf and deer meat.🍴  The wolves leave me no choice but to kill them when they menace me and often I just run into them after they taken down a deer outside my frontdoor...  
Hauling down the loot is kinda easier now since the new area was introduced.  45 kilo unencumbered is nice don't you think?

We definitely have different play styles, although I do agree the carry capacity is a bonus.  Generally, I leave stuff in the zones in which I find it, often where i find it if it's not an item I need right then.  That way, I have supplies always scattered across the maps... handy for traveling back and forth across the maps.  On most runs, I've actually managed to avoid stockpiling huge amounts of meat.  I'm knid of proudest when I decide to end a run with virtually no ruined food lying around.

Before Ash Canyon, I usually tried to end my runs at the summit (regardless of whether I've summited earlier in the run), so the duplicates of the stuff I find up there generally stays up there.  On any run where BRA is higher than "low," it's just too much of a pain to haul down multiple rifles, hatchets or whatever when my normal intention is to just go back up there, live off whatever food I've left up there and then jump from the back of the plane to end the run.

I also do a lot of short runs where I limit myself to surviving in just one zone.  Of course, I don't do those runs on Loper because the Heavy Hammer is never found in a forge zone in which you spawn and you really need it to make your basic tools, but it is quite doable for most  higher BRA starts in pretty much any of the zones.  Some zones are pretty rough starts though, but that's what makes the attempts fun.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 2

Okay, I would think that Pleasant Valley's Home/Farm/Whsteveritscalled-stead is a firm favourite of mine, along with the entire map. 

I have so many memories and long (20+ is classed as an achievement for me) saves. Plus it has a rifle and a six-burner.

Honestly, aside from the wolves littering the farm, it's a perfect base to me. There is a fireplace, its warm inside and typically light, so much storage space, and it is near a temporary base of mine in the village. 

To add to the positives, there is a barn nearby with a bunny-site, and wolves and a bear if you ever need more food. Plus, in my recent run, I found rifle ammo everywhere. 

It is near most of my main looting sites (Community Hall, Barns, etc) and I just have a soft spot for the large house.

Another favourite would be the Lonely Lighthouse in DP. Mainly due to the gorgeous views and storage capacity 

Edited by Catlover
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Okay, I would think that Pleasant Valley's Home/Farm/Whsteveritscalled-stead is a firm favourite of mine, along with the entire map. 

I have so many memories and long (20+ is classed as an achievement for me) saves. Plus it has a rifle and a six-burner.

Honestly, aside from the wolves littering the farm, it's a perfect base to me. There is a fireplace, its warm inside and typically light, so much storage space, and it is near a temporary base of mine in the village. 

To add to the positives, there is a barn nearby with a bunny-site, and wolves and a bear if you ever need more food. Plus, in my recent run, I found rifle ammo everywhere. 

It is near most of my main looting sites (Community Hall, Barns, etc) and I just have a soft spot for the large house.

Another favourite would be the Lonely Lighthouse in DP. Mainly due to the gorgeous views and storage capacity 

Can’t argue with that, it is satisfying to return to the farm after a long day of looting.

My current interloper run I made the fish camp in CH my initial base.  Started in TWM. It worked out quite well. The Riken forge is my favorite so I was going through CH anyway. The fish camp has an outside workbench. Pile up wood, coal, meat (all of which are near-by and plentiful), and craft for days without having to deal with cabin fever. When a blizzard blows,  there's 3 cabins right there.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, stirfoo said:

My current interloper run I made the fish camp in CH my initial base.  Started in TWM. It worked out quite well. The Riken forge is my favorite so I was going through CH anyway. The fish camp has an outside workbench. Pile up wood, coal, meat (all of which are near-by and plentiful), and craft for days without having to deal with cabin fever. When a blizzard blows,  there's 3 cabins right there.

That’s unusual never saw someone that made a base in fish camp. My first choice in coastal highway is the Quonset garage. How do you deal with fire though ?

17 minutes ago, Vareta said:

That’s unusual never saw someone that made a base in fish camp. My first choice in coastal highway is the Quonset garage. How do you deal with fire though ?

Well, the whole point is to stay outside as much as possible. I kept two fires by the workbench. One for crafting, both when cooking up meat (e.g. the bear that comes to visit). Yes they get blown out occasionally but overall, it worked out quite well.  Coal is a must, but you can collects lots in the caves to PV and DP. Plenty of pallets to chop up at the fish camp too. You can build a coal fire between 2 or 3 stacks and chop them all at once. I use the calm days to craft and the windy days to forage. Also, I did a lot of crafting at night if it was calm. I used to stay at the garage but I'd get cabin fever every time I tried a lot of crafting there. The more I play the game, the more "unusual" scenarios I investigate. Also, making the game too easy by picking a more friendly base is boring, IMO. My current permanent base is the Deer Clearing cave at TWM and that was to prep for my assault on AC. :)

Edited by stirfoo
  • Like 1

Fishing Camp in CH is a very viable base on Interloper. The bear walks past the camp everyday so that's easy food to your doorstep. Outdoor workbench helps to lower cabin fever risk, and freezing is not a problem as long as you have a coal fire nearby. Fishing hut is just a stone's throw away so that's also a plus.

There are pallets and sticks everywhere so firewood is not a problem. PV mine is also not too far away to top-up your coal supply.

It's also a short walk to Jackrabbit Island where you can go for beachcombing from time to time. It's not really needed unless you plan to live for thousands of days, but it can be just another thing to do during late-game when you start to get bored.

In short, one of my favourite bases in the game, together with the Dam and Camp Office in ML.

Edited by gotmilkanot
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

As someone who travels around a lot, I have a lot of favourites when it comes to where to live, so I'd have a hard time choosing. Here are my top five picks, though, in no particular order, and a couple of honourable mentions.

There's Jackrabbit Island in Coastal Highway, of course, which I've found is great in Interloper and Voyageur due to its relatively safe location and plentiful rabbits, along with a great view looking over the open ocean. The workbench in Fishing Camp isn't too far away either, and Coastal Highway in general is a rather warm region. The only thing I miss here is an indoor stove, and that wolves do tend to come up on the island fairly often in Stalker.

Camp Office in Mystery Lake is also great. Two stoves, a workbench, and a very central location, both in terms of the region and in terms of its relative position on Great Bear. There's fishing, rabbit snaring, and deer hunting not far from your doorstep too. The only disadvantage of being here is that I'm generally not a big fan of living in Mystery Lake.

It's hard to avoid mentioning Grey Mother's house in Milton, too, especially early on in the game. It's very central and makes searching the entire town of Milton for essential supplies very easy. Not to mention it has a fireplace and cooking stove, along with more storage than you'll likely need. While there's no workbench on site, there's one not far at Paradise Meadows Farm. Wolves are more frequent than you might think, though, so plan accordingly.

Angler's Den in Ash Canyon is also pretty good. You have a workbench and stove inside, and there's decent hunting around. Fishing is also not impossible, though it's a little trot over to Bitter Marsh. The location is also very central, so it is possible to go almost anywhere in Ash Canyon from here in an overnight trip. There are also not too many wolves too close by, so it's fairly safe.

My final choice is the Ice Cave network of Hushed River Valley. You have rooms there that are always lit, regardless of the time of day or night, it's fairly toasty inside, and there's generally valuable loot to be found, along with hunting just outside. One of the caves does have a wolf inside, but the presence of lit rooms makes this wolf considerably easier to shoot than Scruffy in Desolation Point. You will need a bedroll, as there are no beds in Hushed River Valley.

Honourable Mention: Northeastern Caves (Peak Cave, Pensive Vista, Lake Cave) in Hushed River Valley. All of these caves provide a decent warmth bonus, are very safe from hostile wildlife, and, if the moose spawns on Monolith Lake, there is enough food to survive for days and days. If not, there are deer to hunt not far west of Monolith Lake, and a few rabbits east of Monolith Lake. Peak Cave is located at the top of a steep hill (watch for sprains) but a great view of Monolith Lake, while Lake Cave can be noisy due to the nearby waterfall. Pensive Vista has a great view and good access to the lower valley.

Honourable Mention: Pleasant Valley Farmstead. Indoor workbench, six burner stove, plenty of place to put stuff, hunting nearby, two toilets, and a fireplace... what more could one want? The only reason this didn't make the top five list is because of the weather in Pleasant Valley. It's extremely variable, and when the fog moves in, it's easy to get lost.

• Like 1

I like the Quonset hut in PCH even with all the wolves.  It’s just so nice and perfect and roomy with access to anything you’d ever need.  
I usually pack most of the important gear there and stash it in the lockers and tool chests.  However I do leave rifles and maybe a hatchet at every decent base and then just take some ammo along on any expedition.  Every base has cooked meat and hides.  
idk 

It is easy to pass time once all that is done but it’s super boring and I never seem to have the initiative to go beyond 300 days.  Everything is done by then.  I just imagine my survivor taking over for me then and living out his days in peace and solitude. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bean said:

I like the Quonset hut in PCH even with all the wolves.  It’s just so nice and perfect and roomy with access to anything you’d ever need.  
I usually pack most of the important gear there and stash it in the lockers and tool chests.  However I do leave rifles and maybe a hatchet at every decent base and then just take some ammo along on any expedition.  Every base has cooked meat and hides.  
idk 

It is easy to pass time once all that is done but it’s super boring and I never seem to have the initiative to go beyond 300 days.  Everything is done by then.  I just imagine my survivor taking over for me then and living out his days in peace and solitude. 

Yeah...I’m sure that with certain updates the game will give you more and more reasons to survive longer and longer

• Upvote 1

I don’t think you understand the macro levels of greenhouse gas necessary to affect global temperature.  If the Chinese, Indians, and USA (in order of magnitude)with all our combined emissions can’t warm things up, then the CO2 value of global warming just isn’t that significant.  
However, coal (especially dirty coal) can release sulfur dioxide which is a cooling agent if it is released into the stratosphere (as volcanos do) and it is technologically possible to build a stack tall enough to get SO2 up there to cool the planet.  It’s just not politically viable at this time because the global warming myth hasn’t materialized. 

• Upvote 1