Ash Canyon - And you thought...

hozz1235

I find HRV much harder, even after all this time. Not only because of the lack of humanity but also the terrain is confusing (in a good way) and hilly, with the waterfalls obstructing sounds. At Ash Valley, the openess makes navigation fairly easy and you get to learn places very quickly. The ground level is mostly flat and waterfalls are far and in between. Camping in houses during blizzards is also more convenient than in ice caves. And AC deer carcass masses, what's up with that now

Edited by Mistral

The lack of a workbench in HRV makes it the harder zone for me.  Any map gets a lot easier as one becomes familiar with it, so I'm ranking them about equal on that front.  I did get very lucky with my first venture into Ash Canyon and basically encountered the ropes right away that eventually led me up to Miner's Folly and, as long as one has a bedroll and matches, the climbing isn't much of an issue.  The bear is tougher in Ash Canyon because of the choke point.  Sticks and wood, however, are generally more plentiful in HRV.  The weather seams to be definitely worse in Ash Canyon and the swaying rope bridges add "spice" to the map.  I'm lovin' it as well.

Another thing that makes HRV arguably harder are the scrub brushes that block some of the paths and require a hatchet to clear.  I don't think I've encountered any of those yet in Ash Canyon.

Edited by UpUpAway95

on interloper I can assure you AC is far harder than HRV for one reason- lack of wildlife. you can survive indefinitely in HRV. But in AC I had no moose spawn, and at climbers cave (the only warm cave) there are no animals whatsoever to subsist on. So the only large game is the bear but respawning firewood is limited in that area.   AC would be fine for long term living if you had more game to subsist on.  but for lopers it’s only value is the pack and crampons and then good riddance.  HRV could be argued only value is the combat pants and ear wrap but at least you can live there indefinitely pretty easily- except you have to occasionally jaunt to Milton for the workbench at the trailer. 

2 hours ago, Schrodingers Box said:

on interloper I can assure you AC is far harder than HRV for one reason- lack of wildlife. you can survive indefinitely in HRV. But in AC I had no moose spawn, and at climbers cave (the only warm cave) there are no animals whatsoever to subsist on. So the only large game is the bear but respawning firewood is limited in that area.   AC would be fine for long term living if you had more game to subsist on.  but for lopers it’s only value is the pack and crampons and then good riddance.  HRV could be argued only value is the combat pants and ear wrap but at least you can live there indefinitely pretty easily- except you have to occasionally jaunt to Milton for the workbench at the trailer. 

There are in fact (at least) two possible moose spawn locations in AC. But more importantly, there is a fishing spot in AC while HRV has none. You can live off from that & the lower attitude rabbit and deer spawns just as "easily", even on Interloper. Also, I'm not sure why you think there's only one warm cave in the map, as there are definitely at least two plus couple of "outdoor caves" that are moderately warm

Edited by Mistral

20 hours ago, Schrodingers Box said:

but for lopers it’s only value is the pack and crampons and then good riddance.

That's just pure nonsense. You can live for a long time on the cat tails alone. There is also a bear that will feed for a long time. That's weeks before you even need to think about sustainability - which, as said, is possible.

21 hours ago, Schrodingers Box said:

and at climbers cave (the only warm cave)

not so...  I believe I've come across two (maybe three) caves/crevices now where there were "indoor temperatures".  Granted they are not really in ideal spots... but they do exist.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
(I will try to get you some screen shots if I can get back to them soon)

Edited by ManicManiac

21 hours ago, Schrodingers Box said:

you can survive indefinitely in HRV.

You can effectively survive indefinitely in Ash Canyon as well.  All you need is some fishing line, and something to break the ice (ideally a heavy hammer since we can repair that).

In addition to that:
There are at least three rabbit runs that can think of just in the area around Climber's Cave and Pillar's Footrest.
There is also a nice spot for deer and even a moose near Stone Shelf Cave.
There is also a nice sport for deer right near Angler's Den.
The birch forest between Stone Shelf Cave and Pillar's Footrest can produce a rather large quantity of Birch Bark.
The Wolves can be picked off for food between Bitter Marsh and Angler's Den.  After clearing the path one can haul up fish from Bitter Marsh to Angler's Den and setup a really good stockpile.

(As mentioned before, we do also have a bear, several ravaged deer carcasses laying about, and cattails - Lots of options)

I think there are plenty of good ways to survive for as long as a person might want to here in Ash Canyon.

Edited by ManicManiac

2 hours ago, Serenity said:

That's just pure nonsense. You can live for a long time on the cat tails alone. There is also a bear that will feed for a long time. That's weeks before you even need to think about sustainability - which, as said, is possible.

read what I said. At the folly there is no renewable wood. no rabbits. Come on man. If you played loper you would know that because you have to plan ahead better than that, brah. 

1 hour ago, Schrodingers Box said:

read what I said. At the folly there is no renewable wood. no rabbits. Come on man. If you played loper you would know that because you have to plan ahead better than that, brah. 

There are sticks in the immediate surrounding of Miner's Folly?! There is your renewable wood already.

In addition, there are more sticks across the bridge. There's also a free rabbit spawn next to the broken snow shelter.

The indoor cave in the other direction next to folly (you know, the cave with free wolf and deer carcasses) has renewable coal in it. It's also a very quick route to the bottom of the canyon, which as we know, has huge amounts of resources.

Finally, the other bridge that starts leading to the Gold mine, on the other side of that you will find even more sticks next to the burnt campfire and the saplings. It's not that long of a walk from folly.

And even if you can't be bothered to go to those places from the folly for some reason, the bear will have respawned again by the time you have finished eating the previous bear. At least if you're eating it with starvation technique of Interloper.

You can even cure stuff outdoors, as part of that broken building where untouchable corpse lies counts as "outdoor indoors". It's also extra warm as side result, so you can fight off cabin fever in that even with medium level Interloper clothing. There's another location like that up the hill too, the small outdoor cave thing next to Foreman's retreat.

The outdoor workbench in that broken building, with windproof fire barrel next to it, now that is something even uber welcoming place like Mystery Lake can't offer.

So all in all, it's a very generous place. Your argument really is paper thin, as is your contemptuous attitude.

(Ps In case you were mistakenly referring to Mining Camp instead of Miner's Folly, well that has Interloper rabbit spawn next to it, as well as coal and stick spawns)

Edited by Mistral
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

You can effectively survive indefinitely in Ash Canyon as well.  All you need is some fishing line, and something to break the ice (ideally a heavy hammer since we can repair that).

In addition to that:
There are at least three rabbit runs that can think of just in the area around Climber's Cave and Pillar's Footrest.
There is also a nice spot for deer and even a moose near Stone Shelf Cave.
There is also a nice sport for deer right near Angler's Den.
The birch forest between Stone Shelf Cave and Pillar's Footrest can produce a rather large quantity of Birch Bark.
The Wolves can be picked off for food between Bitter Marsh and Angler's Den.  After clearing the path one can haul up fish from Bitter Marsh to Angler's Den and setup a really good stockpile.

(As mentioned before, we do also have a bear, several ravaged deer carcasses laying about, and cattails - Lots of options)

I think there are plenty of good ways to survive for as long as a person might want to here in Ash Canyon.

that’s a lot of running around aimlessly and also don’t forget about cabin fever with no warm cave or crevice near the fishing. stupid place to retire in loper. 

@Schrodingers Box

True that the RNG can be cruel some times... but that's just how the game goes.  If we are looking at Ash Canyon as a "retirement" spot... then I'd say we could find out clothing out in the rest of the world not have to rely on it in any one region (especially on Interloper).  Even so, there is usually decent access to just about every kind of usable pelt in the region... so being able to craft decent clothing is available  to us.

In my experience in the region so far:
I found a bearskin coat up at an abandoned campsite near Wolf's Jaw.
I've found a few clothing items on corpses in my current run.
I've found a few clothing items in some of the other major caves and even 1 or 2 clothing items at the Angler's Den.
I've found a good pair of long-johns and a windbreaker on a corpse in the Gold Mine itself.

Naturally I didn't have use for them because I'd taken care of my clothing needs long before I made it over to Ash Canyon.  I just meant to address that clothing can be found here (even if it's rare... it's still possible).  So far, I've actually managed to find a fair bit... and I haven't even fully explored the region yet.  I still have about 25% left to go.  That is to say, whatever is in the upper right hand corner of the map (and I think just beyond the bear den).

Naturally it would all come down to player preferences...  I think that Ash Canyon is a perfectly viable place for long term survival.

Edited by ManicManiac

35 minutes ago, Schrodingers Box said:

and also don’t forget about cabin fever

I don't think Cabin Fever is not much of a worry, considering how few places are considered "indoors."

35 minutes ago, Schrodingers Box said:

no warm cave or crevice near the fishing.

It's not too difficult to fish there and haul the catch up to Angler's Den or one of the other nearby caves (there is a small cave actually situated between Bitter Marsh and the Angler's Den).  True, we might have occasion to clear out a wolf every now and then, but it's still very do able.  As an alternative we can also wait a day or two for when the wolves move on to other areas... (meaning we could potentially haul a catch and take it to our camp without even having to deal with the wolves if we scout carefully ahead if time).

Edited by ManicManiac

4 hours ago, Schrodingers Box said:

spoken like a true voyager level. “Renewable sticks” hahahahaa how useless in interloper to get 6 sticks. Cant even create an arrow with that at the outdoor workbench and you even admit you have to cross the region for supplies and wildlife. only a fool would do that when you have almost any other place in the game to base permenantly that is so much smarter a choice.  that’s why no one including you never sets up permanent base in AC. Ridiculous argument.  Like I said- in loper you get the crampons and pack and leave the area.  
   “renewable sticks” ROTFLMAO!!!

I literally have no idea what you're even saying anymore.

And as Interloper player you should know anyway that even with those exaggerated "six sticks "of yours you could make them last always forever by pulling torches out of fires and turning them into new sticks. Not that this matters since there are literally million of resources within 2-5 minute walk as I said. And even if you somehow happen to take damage during that walk, it doesn't really even matter, since unlike with Deadman, you will get your health back on Loper without having to use a stim, so what is the big deal? But hey keep living in your dream world

No-ones saying AC is the "ideal" place to live, I mean if you want to live for forever we have many many many better alternatives for that, but to say it us worthless and/or unliveable on Interloper is just bonkers. 

Edited by Mistral

A few posts hidden. Try to disagree without insulting one and another or being disrespectful. It's fine to have different styles of play, different opinions on the game and regions but try to do so while treating everyone with respect and kindness.

Thank you and have a great New Year's Eve / Day.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I'm trying discover all locations in Bleak Inlet, Raven Falls Ravine and Mystery Lake. Wish me luck!

I'm a beginner so I play it on pilgrim mode. I haven't reached the north parts of Hushed River Valley yet.

Ash Canyon and Timberwolf Mountain are still beyond my reach.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I find Miner's Folly quite a viable place in AC to just pass by days safely once you've killed the bear - which is the only wildlife treat in that level. But then, there's not much happening there so staying there would probably bore me to death, in the same way how the Hunting Lodge in BR would.

Having said that, I'd prefer to rotate between regions every 10 days or so to keep late-game interesting. And if I have to choose a place to stay in AC for my "vacation" trip, I'd rather choose Homesteader's Respite or Angler's Den. But on first visit to AC, I think Angler's Den might be the best base considering how centrally located it is.

On 01.01.2021 at 14:57, Pyroxene said:

Bleak Inlet, Raven Falls Ravine ve Mystery Lake'deki tüm yerleri keşfetmeye çalışıyorum. Bana şans Dile!

Ben acemiyim, bu yüzden hacı modunda oynuyorum. Hushed Nehri Vadisi'nin kuzey kısımlarına henüz ulaşmadım.

Ash Kanyonu ve Timberwolf Dağı hala ulaşamayacağım yerde.

Don't go to the hushed river valley if you're a novice. Because I went, and as a result, I was disappearing. I barely got myself off that map. But my wife had 1 american deer meat and hide. I don't plan on going there again, though. Because it's complicated. Ash canyon and Timberwolf mountain are an easier way to get through.

I'm going back from bleak inlet to Ash Canyon hopefully I can find a place out there that suits me. Wish me luck.

• Upvote 1