Crampons Must Be Avaible to Repairing

luckymarki

1 hour ago, odizzido said:

They wouldn't be useless, they would be useful at the start of the game as a temporary buff when you're trying to run around and get set up. Whether they're easy to get at the start of the game, or even worth going for, is another issue.

I wouldn't be inclined to get them if they aren't repairableb as it's just extra weight, so I'll probably end up leaving them behind till patched.

• Upvote 1

The word I heard was that the non-repairability was part of the devs continuing assessment of how the crampons should be handled in the game.  The game is centered a lot about making decisions so that may make good sense. 

I'll still pick them up when I finally get to Ash Canyon but I avoid climbing as much as possible anyway so that is not as big a draw and I go to the trouble of marking safe paths in areas of weak ice.  I just don't leave useful gear behind.  I may leave them behind in a base, like I do most flashlights, in Ash Canyon, or maybe the Mountaineer Hut or the farmstead in Pleasant Valley, where I can get at them relatively easily but I hate climbing and try to be careful around weak ice so as a utility item it is kind of marginal.  Repairable or not. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Just repaired them at the BI Workshop milling station!

That's amazing, thanks for sharing!

I've been hanging to the crampons but only wearing them when climbing ropes to avoid struggle damage, this removes the need for micromanaging gear and gives a buff to the protection bonus. I'm 100% happy to trade the earmuffs for more defense. 

Great job HL!

• 3 weeks later...

@Stinky socks

It's not a problem for me... I just commented last month that I would have preferred they had as a limited use item.
If that changed, that's fine.  Once Hinterland makes an official change I don't gripe about it, I accept it.  :)

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I'm all for player choice.  I'd already settled on (like three weeks ago) using them till they wear out, then getting rid them.
However, since I only use them for beachcombing I can use them a whole lot.  In all my sprints out on the ice, they haven't even decayed by 1% yet.  :D

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Like 1

Both points are valid. That is why I am happy they can be repaired at a milling station and not just everywhere. Since there is a long trip involved in repairing them, you have a choice as a player. Those, who want to keep using them only till conditition runs out, can do so and it wont tempt anyone to repair them out of convenience. 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 9:53 AM, bladerunner900 said:

Just tried that in my Interloper run and got no option to repair my 90% crampons.

Same. No option at the milling machine to repair my 44% crampons on Stalker. As of today, I can't find any way to repair them. 

On 2/15/2021 at 10:16 PM, Stinky socks said:

A little off topic, but not:

If they get wet, do they lose effectiveness or give you frostbite easier? It appears they dont dry out very easily..

In case any one is interested in the resolution, but I've read and tested. The wetness metric does not get updated. After drying thoroughly it will still say same amount of wetness as before. You have to put them on for a few seconds and they become instantly dry. It looks like the metric gets updated after you wear them again after letting them dry.

Now regarding the repair option, there seems to be contradictory results. Some were able to repair, while others have no option. Is there limit on how much damage they get before being able to repair them maybe? Or difficulty being played, or maybe repair skill level?

• Upvote 1

So I spent about 5 hours today to try and go through the whole bit of getting the Crampons and opening the Bleak inlet workshop entirely for the purpose of testing out two things. One of them being the ability to repair crampons.

I can as of right now safely say that it is not possible to repair crampons at the milling station. Either it was possible before and was changed in last update, or the claim about it, being possible to fix Crampons on a milling station, was a lie. 

I am now going to purposedly try to ruin them, to see if it is perhaps possible only if they are ruined. Time for me to go fall through ice many times :D 

The other thing I wanted to test out was if repairing guns on milling station increased the gunsmithing skill as I saw some people claim, and I can confirm this to be true.

I should add that this is on Pilgrim difficulty with the crampons being at 96% condition right now.

EDIT: Nevermind that, falling through ice does not damage the crampons. I guess I would have to be wearing them non-stop for them to be ruined, or have them get damaged in animal attack. I might try to go take a bunch of fall damage with clothing tear proccs.

EDIT 2: They do not take the damage of "torn clothing" affliction either! This means you literally HAVE to wear them long enough for them to become ruined. Took several purposeful tumbles down the stairs, only wearing boots and crampons.  The boots took damage every single time, the crampons did not take a single 1% durability hit in every jump. I am not willing to go jump from higher up, as it is very difficult to gauge a jump that would not kill me instantly in TLD.

Edited by Mroz4k
  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

EDIT 2: They do not take the damage of "torn clothing" affliction either! This means you literally HAVE to wear them long enough for them to become ruined. Took several purposeful tumbles down the stairs, only wearing boots and crampons.  The boots took damage every single time, the crampons did not take a single 1% durability hit in every jump. I am not willing to go jump from higher up, as it is very difficult to gauge a jump that would not kill me instantly in TLD.

But they take damage from wolf struggles.

I suffered 2 wolf attacks, while using the Crampons on the exterior slot, that together dropped the Crampons durability to 84%. And i was constantly monitoring it's use, so there is no other way to have taken that tamage.

I still didn't try to go at milling station to repair it.

• Upvote 1

On 2/20/2021 at 1:59 PM, Mroz4k said:

was a lie.

I am the one that was able to repair them.  I would have no reason to lie.  I cannot provide proof of past repair but I will attempt to do it again (although it may take me some time to damage them enough) and post my results.

<edit> At this point, I would have to venture a guess that it could have been a temporary oversight on HL's part to allow it.  I do mod, but I don't think any of the mods I use have mentioned this "fix".

Edited by hozz1235
  • Like 1