Dumb deaths

lukewook

I'm sure there are similar posts out there but anyway...I'm not that skilled or versed yet in TLD.  And yet I had a Voyeur run to Day 265, mostly hanging out in Coastal Highway with just an abundance of riches.  I then decided I'd go to Pleasant Valley, and at the beginning it was fine.  Plenty of things to find at Thomson's crossing, didn't see much wildlife but I figured I'd find some once I got to the Farm (I had seen others on this region).  Well, I left real early in the morning like I could barely see but I thought I'd just follow the road, the snow started falling and all of sudden I was in a blizzard so I jumped in a car hoping to wait it out.  I died in a damn car.  

Of the times I had encountered wolves, bears, got burned or electrocuted...so dumb!!  

I thought for certain I was cruising to that 500 day achievement and then I would move up to the next level of difficulty.  But maybe I need a bit more practice.. ;)

• Upvote 2

Been there. I learned pretty quickly how fast the weather can change in pleasant valley. 

It can be brutally cold, windy, blizzard, and then calm in a matter of hours. 

I never sleep in a car. Too much risk. I try to find loose sticks and a windproof area. Not always easy in a blizzard. 

My worst death was climbing, not realizing I didnt have enough energy to make it. Rough way to go. 

It's good to see I'm not alone.  

The feeling of dying like that is brutal.  You have all these bases set-up, all these items you accumulated and things you've collected and it's just gone!

I don't know about anyone else but I just sat there in disbelief for about 5-10 minutes.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, odizzido said:

I wish our character would wake up if they're too cold. It's tedious to sleep in one hour increments.

I sort of agree that we should wake up when too cold. Unless we go to sleep already freezing, I'd prefer this particular game mechanic to be more realistic. However, we consistently reap the benefit of being able to control for how long we sleep and I would really prefer if we didn't.

Edited by manolitode

Guest jeffpeng

I had a few "dumb" deaths in my time. A favorite one will remain one of my earlier ones. Stalker (didn't play loper yet back then), made it quick and swift to TWM, set up base camp at the Hut ... and then my wife called me for something, I kinda didn't pause the game, something got exceedingly intense, so much I never made it back to the PC - just to find my poor survivor frozen to a popsicle in the hut the next morning. Yeah. Poor fellow. Let's just say he died for a worthy cause.

10 hours ago, manolitode said:

However, we consistently reap the benefit of being able to control for how long we sleep and I would really prefer if we didn't.

I would really love if that was the case. It would make a few things quite a bit harder, but that's fine I guess. I also would like to have the character sometimes wake up to random noises or the aurora in particular. Sure that would sometimes put a wrench into your regeneration plans, or maybe make your next waypoint that little bit too far away to reach after a night not well slept - but we human things aren't designed to work like clockwork. Maybe that's just me (and you, apparently :D), but that little bit of extra unpredictability would be quite ..... exciting.

I'm in sort of a situation.

I'm on day 925 of a custom run with a difficulty level something in between Stalker and Interloper.

I've got a broken rib

I've got no painkillers.

And I'm in Timberwolf Mountain.

Despite being used in the same manner as painkillers, rose hip tea is not a valid treatment for a broken rib, so.... I'm stuck. I can't get out, because I can't climb down into Pleasant Valley with a Broken Rib. I'm just living on borrowed time at this point.

Guest jeffpeng
4 hours ago, GothSkunk said:

Despite being used in the same manner as painkillers, rose hip tea is not a valid treatment for a broken rib, so.... I'm stuck. I can't get out, because I can't climb down into Pleasant Valley with a Broken Rib. I'm just living on borrowed time at this point.

Jump. Coming from TWM hold left when trying to goat down to the bunker. You will take damage, but it's doable.

4 hours ago, GothSkunk said:

I'm in sort of a situation.

I'm on day 925 of a custom run with a difficulty level something in between Stalker and Interloper.

I've got a broken rib

I've got no painkillers.

And I'm in Timberwolf Mountain.

Tough situation!  hmm, the wiki suggests rose hips should still work, and I'm sure I've used them to cure broken ribs before, not sure what's happening there if not working for you:

https://thelongdark.fandom.com/wiki/Broken_ribs

I have just managed to find this:

I would caution that sometimes in updates I think 'dead zones' (where you automatically die if you move off a certain ledge) can change- for example, I think people have previously got down to the abandoned lorry by the plane crash site in Milton, but that it was then 'closed' and if you try now you will die.  So... given the age of that video, and the amount at stake with a 900+ day run, if I were you I'd load up a new game in TWM first, and check that route is still open before trying on your custom run.

hope that helps! let us know how you get on.

14 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

I also would like to have the character sometimes wake up to random noises or the aurora in particular. Sure that would sometimes put a wrench into your regeneration plans, or maybe make your next waypoint that little bit too far away to reach after a night not well slept - but we human things aren't designed to work like clockwork. 

Waking up sometimes from light or by the sound of a howling wolf would make things interesting for sure. I also wouldn't mind an energy penalty from chopped up sleep as opposed to sleeping for 8 hours straight. And not being able to sleep directly after an intense wolf, bear or moose encounter. 

• Upvote 1

Oh man do I have a story for you. 

I was in Mystery Lake on Day 12 on Voyageur and I had just finished marking the last location on the map for the "Exploration Game" Achievement. I was in the camp office and I had traveled down the tracks to the derailment where I was spotted by a wolf. I was still kind of new to the rifle and didn't have much experience but I crouched, aimed making the the wolf charged and I actually shot and killed him, I was like O.o I had never hit a wolf before and this was after getting attacked twice before so at the same time, it felt invigorating lol.

I harvest some of his meat, get his hide and me feeling full of pride thought "Well hell I could do that again" (First mistake) Take it from me, don't ever get cocky with the rifle. I head down the tracks some more and get spotted by another wolf, I did the same thing as last time, but the wolf went around a rock and attacked me, I got a shot off but don't know if I hit him or not. I fight him off and now with a sprained wrist, I pick myself up, take my broken pride and self back to the camp office when here comes another wolf. At this point I'm running away in a panic missing the entrance to the train car, I have a sprain so I can't use the rifle and I can't stop and take painkillers because the wolf is too close, I also have an infection risk from the attack as well.

I somehow escape his detection radius and make it back to the camp office where I take pain killers to heal my sprain. I even seen that the infection risk had turned into an actual infection. Still kind of in a panic, I open my First Aid menu and see that I have a emergency stim and for some reason thought that would heal my infection. So I go upstairs to the stove where I start cooking the wolf meat, forgetting that I have an infection.. Ended up dying at the stove while the meat was still cooking

My mouse learned to fly that day as I flung it across my room hehe :$ So yes a very dumb death but it was my own stupid fault for getting cocky with the rifle :D 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, PrincessAutumn said:

Oh man do I have a story for you. 

I was in Mystery Lake on Day 12 on Voyageur and I had just finished marking the last location on the map for the "Exploration Game" Achievement. I was in the camp office and I had traveled down the tracks to the derailment where I was spotted by a wolf. I was still kind of new to the rifle and didn't have much experience but I crouched, aimed making the the wolf charged and I actually shot and killed him, I was like O.o I had never hit a wolf before and this was after getting attacked twice before so at the same time, it felt invigorating lol.

I harvest some of his meat, get his hide and me feeling full of pride thought "Well hell I could do that again" (First mistake) Take it from me, don't ever get cocky with the rifle. I head down the tracks some more and get spotted by another wolf, I did the same thing as last time, but the wolf went around a rock and attacked me, I got a shot off but don't know if I hit him or not. I fight him off and now with a sprained wrist, I pick myself up, take my broken pride and self back to the camp office when here comes another wolf. At this point I'm running away in a panic missing the entrance to the train car, I have a sprain so I can't use the rifle and I can't stop and take painkillers because the wolf is too close, I also have an infection risk from the attack as well.

I somehow escape his detection radius and make it back to the camp office where I take pain killers to heal my sprain. I even seen that the infection risk had turned into an actual infection. Still kind of in a panic, I open my First Aid menu and see that I have a emergency stim and for some reason thought that would heal my infection. So I go upstairs to the stove where I start cooking the wolf meat, forgetting that I have an infection.. Ended up dying at the stove while the meat was still cooking

My mouse learned to fly that day as I flung it across my room hehe :$ So yes a very dumb death but it was my own stupid fault for getting cocky with the rifle :D 

One minor point that may help in the future, you will know if you get a rifle, revolver or arrow hit as the relevant 'skill increase' icon will flash up on the right side of the screen momentarily.  The other obvious sign is some sort of blood splatter or trail. 

Very useful if you are trying to wing a bear then hide and find the carcass later, although admittedly not always easy to focus on when you have 2/3 wolves coming at you!

• Upvote 1

I've been playing The Long Dark for almost a month and have had 14 playthroughs in Survival Mode. My last game was a very good one; I started in Desolation Point in Voyageur Mode and spawned inside the lighthouse. I gathered a lot of supplies and got the Rifle and the Revolver, with plenty of ammo for both. I made my way to Coastal Highway, where I spent most of this game there. I killed my first moose and was slowly harvesting it day by day. One of these times, a bear came about and I was able to hide and shoot and kill it fortunately. However my condition was running low so I was forced to retreat to a nearby house (which happened to be my current base anyways) and made a fire and cooked food and ate and drank. Everything seemed okay so I went to sleep in the bed. But I died, faded into The Long Dark. I did have  hypothermia, but when I was sleeping, I got the message that it had passed but I still died (Had no other afflictions) So my dumbest death in The Long Dark so far. 

Walking into my own campfire is definitely my least favorite. 

Forgetting to check my condition before sleeping has killed me a couple of times,  too -usually an infection.

Getting bored and overconfident is the most dangerous thing; it leads you to shoot at bears when you don't have a safe retreat lined up.

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...

I think the most jaw dropping death I had ( as in, you were so shocked at dying so dumb you just stare slack jawed at the screen)...

I was in HRV and I was freezing  in a blizzard (I think I was around 50 days in trying to beat my personal record just surviving only in the new area) but I knew I was close to my ice cave base. I start sprinting, certain of my footing until...oops... there's the drop into the river valley! Whheeeeeee and splat! (face palm)

• Upvote 1

On 6/2/2020 at 8:49 PM, ManicManiac said:

Every attempt to complete my personal challenge that was cut short because I found an "Instant Kill Spot" causing me to have to start over from scratch. :D

:coffee::fire::coffee:
I've been working on completing this personal challenge for nearly over a year now :D
[updated relevant detail]

• 1 month later...

It's always shocking when a run comes crashing down around you seemingly from the ether.

I have many deaths many different ways but I will share a not death that should have been instead.

I was on day somewhere north of 200.  I have camps all over the place with enough stores to keep me kicking for thousands of days.  Frolicking through PV I think I've surmounted all obstacles.  I'm headed back to the farmhouse through the grove like sticks around the farm.  I catch a bear out of the corner of my eye.  "I'll take this guy out and have a real supper tonight" I says to myself.  Crouched and at some distance, bow drawn, I feel invincible.  The expected panic and retreat never came and he comes barreling back at me.  Never expecting to need to retreat myself I was nowhere near a safe refuge.  All I could see was the spindly black twig/tree things around the farmhouse.  So I decided to dance with the beast instead.  Pistol drawn we began to revolve around the insignificant physics object... one after another 6 explosions into its angry face.  Finally whatever initial edge my substantial grace may have allowed, I was pummeled into the dirt.  Furious that this wretch dare challenge my authority, I would surely drop him swiftly as he sauntered away.  The expected victory turned to horror as death came with fury back with...fury.  Thus comes to an end... but wait!  With the smallest sliver of vitality wrestled from the literal (not really) jaws of death walk I.  To continue the story of my longest journey into the eventual long dark.