Christmas event

Yavind

Will it be a christmas event for the game as we approach the season? I'm thinking if there is a "secret" file in the game that activates itself when the date on the computer shows closer to Christmas Eve.

I imagine broken christmas lights around the rooftops. Curved Christmas tree inside some of the houses, with Christmas decorations on and Christmas presents under the tree you can pack up and find toys .. Also that it is possible to collect, for example, a Christmas hat to add to some collection.

Maybe an *achievement where you have to find Santa's hat, and it can be anywhere in the game in a random place anywhere on all the maps. And there is only one of those hats. Imagine how awesome this would have been.

Maybe make this as a christmas challenge in the game? "Find Santas Hat". And that is where all the christmas stuff is :D

Edited by Yavind
  • Upvote 6

• 2 weeks later...

I think we also need to be a little more respectful of the time and work that goes into making stuff like that.  We've traditionally we've had a Halloween thing... but this month we also had Crossroads Elegy drop and we can look forward to a survival update in December...  After all, the Halloween event is just a cool thing they've done as an extra, it's not really owed to any of us.

I do agree it would be neat to have other events in for the holiday rotation, but I also urge respect for all the work they've already committed to and continue to deliver on.

:coffee::fire:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I like the concept, but it mustn't give too much extra work for Hinterland.

I'd be satisfied if only one hut, cabin or even a cave in all of Great Bear Island was turned into a Xmas palace or grotto with a sack of presents for the finder.  It should be for a limited time, one day or perhaps two.  Players would have to sacrifice some of their Xmas festivities to search around all of Great Bear Island for that one place. 

Perhaps in Santa's sack there could be a special weapon, or clothing, that lasts only for the Xmas period, or better still carries over into the standard game.  Perhaps the same special weapon/clothing could also be found in the 4DON games, and any other special games that Hinterland might create.

. . . . . .

The more I think about it, the more I like it. Killing of deer should be disabled, we couldn't have Santa's deer put out of action.  

A similar 'special' could be created for other special days/events in the year.

Edited by peteloud

11 minutes ago, StoneyWolf said:

Christmas songs on the radio during aurora and candy canes that can be found in searchable stockings that are hanging over fireplaces. 

I love this idea. :) (Even if I don't celebrate Christmas... Oh Tannenbaum and Adeste Fideles would be great, as long as they are in the public domain...)

• Like 4

Probably too short of notice to have anything like that this year, since Crossroads Elegy just dropped and 4DON was a rerun.  But maybe for 2020....provided the "Christmas event" was entirely secular.  Santa, reindeer, candy canes, lights, trees, and presents.  Skip the nativity scene, because that would be fairly exclusionary to non-Christians.  But the secular elements are pretty well embraced regardless of culture.  For example I have a Jewish friend whose family will sort of low-key celebrate Chanukah and light the candles on the menorah etc, but then on December 25 the whole family gets together to eat and exchange gifts.  They even have a Christmas tree with a big blue sparkly star of David on top.

Edited by ajb1978
Forgot that next year is 2020 somehow....

Tweak bear mission from Chapter 2 and mix in a bit of 4DON and get 13 Nights of Yule. 24hr grace period after spawn to find and reassemble bear spear. then fend off the demon bear (attach a deer skull to the head and call it Krampus) once ever 24hrs and survive for as long as possible. Instead of pumpkins spawn little fir trees, instead of pumpkin pies spawn fruit cake. instead of crunchy bars, spawn sugar canes in front of houses. Everything else is same as standard sandbox game except it's all night time.

Flashlight shines bright red on Aurora nights. 

easy peasy. :D

Edited by KinoUnko

• 1 month later...
On 12/24/2019 at 10:51 PM, Calico said:

Maybe a one-shot on December 21/22 the night of the Winter Solstice?

This could be a great idea!

Also, it reminds me... it'd be awesome if the day precessed with the seasons. Pick a date for game start, and have the length of the days and nights follow the natural order of how they go. It'd also be great if the sky followed the rules, with Polaris always at the north and the usual familiar constellations up, with their positions accurately reflecting the date. Programming it would be interesting, but it's certainly doable. It could make for some fun times wrt navigation throughout the world.

When modding comes I may take a shot at doing that.