Does anyone have good challenge ideas?

Mixxut

I've wanted to do some kind of challenge a long time. For example: Only stay in one region or only sleep outdoors and eat meat. Do you guys have any funny but challenging Custom game ideas? My mind is too small to think about all of the possible challenges...

I've been thinking about this on my current playthrough, setting myself small challenges to keep thing interesting and force myself to learn new skills. Some were inspired by the achievements, e.g. Don't Starve (keeping calorie count above zero for 10 days), Beneath A Starry Sky (sleep outside for three nights), and so on. You could extend either of those for a longer time frame for a bigger challenge. Maybe a variant of don't starve using only fish or rabbits would be a good one.

Beyond that, maybe try living without consuming any non-renewable resources for as long as possible? That's what I've been doing, living off snared rabbits and the magnifying glass. You could extend it to clothing and wear only furs but you would still have to use some tools for that.

Another idea: keep a snow shelter intact for as long as possible. I've been doing this in my current playthrough to save on cloth, but it means you cannot leave home for more than 2 or 3 days at a time. Probably not much of a challenge but it teaches you to make quick loot runs in order to get back before it drops below 75%. 

Other ideas: never enter an interior? Might be doable, particularly if you don't count caves or transition zones. I've been thinking of trying to live outside permanently to train myself for survival in FM or TWM. Then there's things like the nomad challenge, exploration, mapping, etc. That should keep you busy for a few hundred days!

Just thought of another: crafting only. So you would have to make your own tools, bow, arrows, clothes, shelter, medicines, etc. No old-world stuff allowed. Except maybe the heavy hammer and the hacksaw, but only to get set up. I guess you could use the mag lens as a stand in for primitive fire starting.

This is awesome! I was just about to start a thread asking folks what they do to make the game more challenging, or to keep it interesting.

One thing I like to do is to play "Voya-loper".  I start a voyager game, immediately throw away my bedroll and any medical and food items that I spawned with. I will keep a bedroll when i find one, and the hacksaw, lantern, prybar, whetstones, and hammer. I don't pick up or use any hatchets, knives, arrows or bows. I wait til I've made my own. I leave rifles and ammo where I find them.  I don't pick up any medical items, or food/drink items. The only thing I allow myself to loot is clothing and matches. I don't use sewing kits, I wait til i have fishing gear to repair clothes.  I love Interloper for its challenge in loot and having to work to get tools and find ways to adapt and overcome to survive, but I hate how ignorantly unrealistically brutal the weather is and the packs of wolves around every corner that stand in line to eat you(not that it ever takes two)

This is in some ways easier than interloper, because the weather and predators are less brutal, but in other ways, its even tougher. There is some food in interloper, and its really hard to get by without ever taking ANY.  There are a few sewing kits in Interloper, and its tough getting by with the crappy wornout clothing that you spawn with until you have cured gut to make fishing line to repair with.  It's AGONIZING to find a rifle and leave it alone, or to find a deer carcass that you NEED food from, and can't harvest because you have no wood even though you know the location of 2 or 3 hatchets already.

I also will always play these runs without any of the perks from badges. 

18 hours ago, cullam said:

If you search community challenges, you should find a few suggestions. One I enjoy is to start a fire almost right away, and then consider that fire your entire life. As soon as it goes out, you have lost. 

So you lose the challenge immediately on Interloper?

20 hours ago, cullam said:

If you search community challenges, you should find a few suggestions. One I enjoy is to start a fire almost right away, and then consider that fire your entire life. As soon as it goes out, you have lost. 

Haha tried that on voyageur I made a fire outside the hydro dam where i tought it was protected from wind. Key word being "tought" when i was chopping down a box iniside the dam wind started to pick up. I went back out and saw my fire. Or saw the pieces of woods that were left. Gotta try again :P

I have two challenges that have been inspired by some recent discussions:

1. Start an Interloper game in FM. How long can you survive in FM without leaving the map?
  2. Start an Interloper game in FM. Without collecting anything in FM, quickly move to BR and see how long you can survive there without leaving.

As a reference, the record for doing this in TWM is currently 100 days. That thread may provide some useful tips.

For those of you who have not been around that long: The "Hopeless Rescue" challenge was actually created after a challenge someone invented here on these forums. The original challenge was to start in DP, go to the summit of TWM and return to the Lighthouse in DP as fast as possible (I cannot remember whether it also involved firing the flare pistol... maybe it did). The winner was @Scyzara, who was named "Queen of the Mountain" as a consequence. That's why she is the only one around here with that rank today. Maybe someone can dig up the thread again and post a link?

Another recommendation is @Timber Wolf's story of luring the Old Bear to TWM and... well... living there together in some kind of... harmony. Well written, very entertaining and a good source of TLD knowledge.

I would confirm that it would be an interesting challenge to spawn in FM on Interloper and stay on that map exclusively, trying to survive as long as possible. The notorious @Drifter Manhas shown an Interloper can last over 100 days on TWM alone. Maybe another intrepid player could carve himself a place in TLD history/science by testing out FM in a similar manner.

Then I am putting a quest out there which maybe is not really a challenge, but which I would like to see tested out: Is it possible to kill a deer with a stone? Maybe a lucky hit to the head? Would be cool if it was possible but incredibly hard to do, only by hitting that sweet spot right on. On second thoughts, throwing stones could be turned into a skill which can be developped so that we can throw harder, further and with more precision the more we practice. Hmmm...

Throwing stones... what else could we do with that? Can you actually throw stones into containers? Is there any container on the deck of the Riken that you could throw a stone into from outside? One could throw it from the ice, then go through the Riken onto the deck and check whether it's there. I am inviting everyone to think about where stone-throwing could be taken challenge-wise.

Then there is something I have been thinking about which is not really a challenge but a creative thing: Illuminate your favourite base at night time in the most decorative manner and post a screenshot. Do whatever it takes - light fires, drop torches, place lanterns. Use flares and the flare pistol for additional effects if it pleases you. Make it a firework or a cozy minimalist thing. And let us see it here.

16 hours ago, JAFO said:

I have two challenges that have been inspired by some recent discussions:

1. Start an Interloper game in FM. How long can you survive in FM without leaving the map?
  2. Start an Interloper game in FM. Without collecting anything in FM, quickly move to BR and see how long you can survive there without leaving.

As a reference, the record for doing this in TWM is currently 100 days. That thread may provide some useful tips.

Why not combine the two?   See how long you can survive on just these two maps.  Call it the Forlorn Railroad challenge.  

FM+BR might be an even better challenge than TWM.  TWM has more matches/firestarts than FM and BR put together, plus fishing, good starter clothes, tea and coffee, tools and a pistol with 8 rounds!   All of those are huge advantages.  On the downside, a lot of effort is required to simply stay warm.  

FM has the useless forge (no hammer) with a bed so cold that it's even more effort to stay warm than in TWM.  Much of the nearby firewood is not renewable, so the heating situation gets progressively worse.  FM has plenty of cattails, saplings, berries, shrooms  and mushrooms to pick, a little coal, and quite a few deer carcasses - similar to TWM.  But even less cloth than TWM -- bandages and maintaining a hat become hard pretty fast.

BR has two warm shelters with beds.  Some indoor wood and cloth to harvest, and an indoor workbench.  Also a nice outdoor shelter (attached to the maintenance shed) for fending off cabin fever.   But no tools and sparse natural resources.

I believe FM+BR would still be super hard, but at least you have flexibility to try more things.  

4 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

Why not combine the two?   See how long you can survive on just these two maps.  Call it the Forlorn Railroad challenge.  

Not only a good idea, but it might be absolutely necessary. On the evidence to date, BR in Interloper seems pretty formidable.

On 9/1/2017 at 11:29 PM, Snake Plisken said:

have you found the gate that gets you to the mountain town yet? 

The region isn't unlocked. But with some fly mod hacks I found a gate in the Broken Railroad region that's off limits and locked. Currently doesn't lead anywhere.

Archived