Poll: Get rid of Cabin Fever

ChillPlayer

Get rid of Cabin Fever  

143 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Marcurios

oh ok, i'll keep an eye out for that hypothermia meter to see what's what.
the wiki says this about it;

The Waterproof bonus provided by clothing measures how quickly clothing becomes wet during outdoor activities. Clothes gradually become wet when it is snowing or when the player walks on ice. Clothes also become completely wet if the player falls through weak ice or passes through a traversable waterfall.

So it says it "measures" how quickly it becomes wet ??
what i have seen is it "get's" wet quicker, atleast the wolfskin coat does from all other clothing become wet the fastest, even if it has 60%, might it be bugged then ?

29 minutes ago, Marcurios said:

not a real life survival simulator, it says so when you start it up.

I have never said it was, never once.  :) 

29 minutes ago, Marcurios said:

but it IS easy

So again... instead of clamoring to change the game to suit you, perhaps you should consider whether this is the right game for you.  Because if you're not happy with the experience you can always opt to play something else.  :) 

Just a point of curiosity... if you feel the game is so easy, then why even complain about cabin fever and crafting?  (the two ideas seem incongruent)

Anyway, I've already expressed my point of view, so I'm not going to engage any further about it.  There is really nothing to discuss if people won't consider other points of view, that's when it becomes an argument.   You don't have to agree with me and I'm not going to argue with you. 

Edited by ManicManiac

1 hour ago, Marcurios said:

oh ok, i'll keep an eye out for that hypothermia meter to see what's what.
the wiki says this about it;

The Waterproof bonus provided by clothing measures how quickly clothing becomes wet during outdoor activities. Clothes gradually become wet when it is snowing or when the player walks on ice. Clothes also become completely wet if the player falls through weak ice or passes through a traversable waterfall.

So it says it "measures" how quickly it becomes wet ??
what i have seen is it "get's" wet quicker, atleast the wolfskin coat does from all other clothing become wet the fastest, even if it has 60%, might it be bugged then ?

I don't see how you can possibly make that sort of assessment.  You would literally have to wear a different coat on the outer layer with the exact same coat on the inner layer during the exact same weather for precisely the same amount of time and then compare how wet each one got.  I don't think you've done that.  Most likely, since getting the wolfskin coat, which is warmer, you're staying outside longer and during more inclement weather because your character doesn't start shivering as quickly.  In my mind, the exact math on that one just doesn't matter that much.  I do know that the warmth value of clothing items decreases as it gets wetter, so I'm anticipating that, perhaps, the math is that this decrease is smaller for items with a higher waterproof value. 

Regardless, I simply go inside when I start to get too cold.  I check my clothes and if they are wet, I'll start a fire and let them dry by the fire before I go to bed.  Usually, I use the fire time to cook, heat teas, or make water.  I might also craft or read for an hour.

Edited by UpUpAway95
information added for clarity

Since this thread seems to have taken off after being dormant for awhile - it's useful to note that everyone is able to express their view on what they'd like to see changed in The Long Dark.

It's perfectly fine to say you'd like to see a feature added, or removed. So let's not argue about that.

It's also great to support a feature remaining, or explain why it makes the game more enjoyable for you.

Let's just keep things collegial and friendly while we debate our points of view.

• Like 1

Guest Marcurios
2 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I don't see how you can possibly make that sort of assessment. 

well, i asked because i just dried everything and repaired all my clothing i currently wear, then i went out into the snowy weather for approxiamtely 1 hour and only the wolfskin coat was 50% wet, nothing else, not my deerskin boots, not my snowpant nor my canadian toque, they where all dry, only the wolfskin coat was wet, after everthing had been dried to 0% just prior.
That's when i began to suspect the coat might be bugged. cause it has the highest waterproof rating..
Or that the mechanic must be different from what i assumed it is/was.

1 hour ago, Admin said:

It's perfectly fine to say you'd like to see a feature added, or removed. So let's not argue about that.

thank you. it doesn't have to be removed, but the mechanic was born from the leaderboards as i read somewhere, it could be made to make more sense then it does now. i myself like solitude, i'm not easily bored when i have a guitar and a good meal and warm fire in my fireplace.
just saying something that might make sense to combat being mentally fatigued..music is good for the soul..

Edited by Marcurios
forgot something

34 minutes ago, Marcurios said:

well, i asked because i just dried everything and repaired all my clothing i currently wear, then i went out into the snowy weather for approxiamtely 1 hour and only the wolfskin coat was 50% wet, nothing else, not my deerskin boots, not my snowpant nor my canadian toque, they where all dry, only the wolfskin coat was wet, after everthing had been dried to 0% just prior.
That's when i began to suspect the coat might be bugged. cause it has the highest waterproof rating..
Or that the mechanic must be different from what i assumed it is/was.

thank you. it doesn't have to be removed, but the mechanic was born from the leaderboards as i read somewhere, it could be made to make more sense then it does now. i myself like solitude, i'm not easily bored when i have a guitar and a good meal and warm fire in my fireplace.
just saying something that might make sense to combat being mentally fatigued..music is good for the soul..

OK.  I think that might be a case that it's from falling snow.  When you walk on  ice, for example, it is your boots that will get wet.  If you go out in a blizzard with winds, then both your pants and coat will get wet.  If it's just snow falling straight down, your coat will get wet first because it's hitting your shoulders, although I can't explain why your touque wouldn't have gotten wet.   There's no harm in submitting a bug report on it.

I honestly have never paid attention to any sort of leaderboards for this or any other SP game I play, so how the cabin fever mechanic came about doesn't affect my opinion on it.  I just simply find it one of the better "affliction" mechanics in this game.  It makes me think things out and plan my days to avoid getting it... and I like that.  I think everything in this game as an random component as well... just so we don't ever get to thinking we have the game totally beat such that it can't ever kill us.  Afterall, it is a permadeath game.

Guest Marcurios

aaaaahh that explains it, what a attention to detail, incredible..nicely done too..
but indeed, my headgear was totally dry in drizzling snowy weather.

well i'm starting to get used to it too, and i only got it once when i made the bear coat in one run, i might just have to do it inbetween.
thing is, i was kinda scared a bit that the game would not remember where i left of if i waited to long to complete the crafting, cause that seemed to happen one time in story mode with me, i crafted deer boots halfway through, then went away to do stuff for a few days and when i came back i had to do it entirely anew.
so my previous 6 hours spend crafting was negated, but it only happened 1 time, cause i didn't do that anymore, i always crafted all things in one run, only sleeping inbetween, but ofcourse all inside cause i didn't even know that cabin fever was in the game, now i know i just changed tactics.
It just annoyed me when it happened at first, but i'm starting to get used to it.

it's not really important actually, cause i usually don't like to have to be indoors all the time to craft, i rather explore the world..
the permadeath thing is what i like the most, and i always thought i would not like it, but i do..

Edited by Marcurios

23 minutes ago, Marcurios said:

aaaaahh that explains it, what a attention to detail, incredible..nicely done too..
but indeed, my headgear was totally dry in drizzling snowy weather.

well i'm starting to get used to it too, and i only got it once when i made the bear coat in one run, i might just have to do it inbetween.
thing is, i was kinda scared a bit that the game would not remember where i left of if i waited to long to complete the crafting, cause that seemed to happen one time in story mode with me, i crafted deer boots halfway through, then went away to do stuff for a few days and when i came back i had to do it entirely anew.
so my previous 6 hours spend crafting was negated, but it only happened 1 time, cause i didn't do that anymore, i always crafted all things in one run, only sleeping inbetween, but ofcourse all inside cause i didn't even know that cabin fever was in the game, now i know i just changed tactics.
It just annoyed me when it happened at first, but i'm starting to get used to it.

it's not really important actually, cause i usually don't like to have to be indoors all the time to craft, i rather explore the world..
the permadeath thing is what i like the most, and i always thought i would not like it, but i do..

If you're crafting in more that one stint, I've noticed that you have to remember to keep the appropriate hides and guts in your inventory, along with the item itself, which should be labeled "in progress."  I originally thought that the hides would vanish once I started something, but they don't.  It means packing around a bit of weight, but I find the safest is to just keep it all in my inventory until the process is finished.  I should also let you know that there appears to be a bug in the calculation of time remaining.  I've crafted items before where the game did not appear to accurately subtract the amoung of hours I had crafted from the total and left the time remaining longer than it should have been.  It may just be that the game did not actually let me craft for the same amount of hours I told it that I wanted to craft (the same way it short-circuits your sleeping).  That's just a guess though.

Edited by UpUpAway95

Guest Marcurios

ah ok, that could have been the problem indeed..

yeah some things are a bit sketchy in the calculations.
like if you have a fire going it says it will take 3 hours till it's burned out, if you then sleep for three hours and wake up, the fire still has another 1.30 hours burntime left..

thanks again for claifying that up..

20 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

The Long Dark does have an official Wiki.  Here is a link to the page on Cabin Fever.

https://thelongdark.gamepedia.com/Cabin_Fever

Keep in mind that neither Wiki (Fandom or Gamepedia) is "truly official". Hinterland does not submit content to either, AFAIK. Both are player made, with info added by players, not by devs. The "Official" in the Wiki title is just a way to use SEO practices, to have it hit more, and land higher, in  Internet searches using that keyword/those keywords. Just a "clever" way to get more visits to your site or page. So, though it is "usually" good information, it is still based on players using various methods of pulling (and pooling) data from game files, gameplay, and "informal" questions to devs here (Milton Mailbag) and on social media, and then adding that info to the Wiki(s).

1 hour ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Keep in mind that neither Wiki (Fandom or Gamepedia) is "truly official". Hinterland does not submit content to either, AFAIK. Both are player made, with info added by players, not by devs. The "Official" in the Wiki title is just a way to use SEO practices, to have it hit more, and land higher, in  Internet searches using that keyword/those keywords. Just a "clever" way to get more visits to your site or page. So, though it is "usually" good information, it is still based on players using various methods of pulling (and pooling) data from game files, gameplay, and "informal" questions to devs here (Milton Mailbag) and on social media, and then adding that info to the Wiki(s).

I do understand that it is a fan-made wiki.  Atually, I though pretty much any game wiki is made by the fans and not the devs themselves.  I'm only familiar with the one for this game.  It has two?

5 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I do understand that it is a fan-made wiki.  Atually, I though pretty much any game wiki is made by the fans and not the devs themselves.  I'm only familiar with the one for this game.  It has two?

Yeah, there is a FANDOM Wiki as well, generally more up-to-date, with more detailed info. But it also seems to be more heavily loaded with ads at times. :(

https://thelongdark.fandom.com/wiki/The_Long_Dark_Wiki

My two cents worth, while I am able to avoid cabin fever for the most part, when it hits it's super annoying.  I don't feel like being unable to sleep indoors contributes anything positive to the gameplay experience, it just adds an additional chore that delays me from doing whatever it was I originally wanted to do.

I would be in favor of altering cabin fever so that while you CAN rest indoors, you are too uneasy and agitated to rest for more than say 3 hours at a time.  Doesn't matter what you do, you wake up after 3 hours, and have to click on the bed to continue resting.  This would be inconvenient to the player, and would essentially debuff the ability to rapidly snap back to 100% condition with a 12 hour rest herbal tea.  But if you're unlucky enough to get All Blizzards All The Time (Pleasant Valley, get stuffed) this would at least give you the option of powering through it indoors.

Edited by ajb1978

40 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

My two cents worth, while I am able to avoid cabin fever for the most part, when it hits it's super annoying.  I don't feel like being unable to sleep indoors contributes anything positive to the gameplay experience, it just adds an additional chore that delays me from doing whatever it was I originally wanted to do.

I would be in favor of altering cabin fever so that while you CAN rest indoors, you are too uneasy and agitated to rest for more than say 3 hours at a time.  Doesn't matter what you do, you wake up after 3 hours, and have to click on the bed to continue resting.  This would be inconvenient to the player, and would essentially debuff the ability to rapidly snap back to 100% condition with a 12 hour rest herbal tea.  But if you're unlucky enough to get All Blizzards All The Time (Pleasant Valley, get stuffed) this would at least give you the option of powering through it indoors.

The game usually wakes me up before my requested sleep time  anyways... unless the sun dial is way out to lunch; and that is really annoying.  That is, I start sleeping when it get s dark, my condition is at 100%, my food and thirst meters are right full, and I have no afflictions.  I request 8 hours of sleep, but I am woken up when my fatigue meter is only a little more than half full and the moon is about halfway), even though my fire is still burning and I'm decently warm.  By my calculations, the game has let me sleep only about 6 hours.  I have to re-click on the bed and request another 4 hours of sleep and then I'll be woken again when my fatigue meter is about 95% full and it is still dark outside.  Then, I can still sleep another hour  before my fatigue meter is 100% full.  to have it happen even more frequently (every 3 hours) would be even more annoying.

I don't find spending essentially one night outdoors is not that big of an annoyance in most locations.  There are usually ample caves within reach (even during a blizzard) and, barring that, one has the ability to make a snow shelter.  In short, I'm not in favor of your proposed change.  Furthermore, I'd like to see them fix whatever it is that keeps waking me up in the middle of the night (forcing me to re-click on the bed multiple times during a night) as it is.

Edited by UpUpAway95

17 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

The game usually wakes me up before my requested sleep time  anyways... unless the sun dial is way out to lunch; and that is really annoying.  That is, I start sleeping when it get s dark, my condition is at 100%, my food and thirst meters are right full, and I have no afflictions.  I request 8 hours of sleep, but I am woken up when my fatigue meter is only a little more than half full and the moon is about halfway), even though my fire is still burning and I'm decently warm.  By my calculations, the game has let me sleep only about 6 hours.  I have to re-click on the bed and request another 4 hours of sleep and then I'll be woken again when my fatigue meter is about 95% full and it is still dark outside.  Then, I can still sleep another hour  before my fatigue meter is 100% full.  to have it happen even more frequently (every 3 hours) would be even more annoying.

This sounds like behavior you should report on the Support Portal.  If you are fatigued enough to sleep for 8 hours, then nothing should be interrupting that sleep (as much as a few people complain about not being able to interrupt sleep... :D), sounds like you are experiencing some kind of bug.

16 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

This sounds like behavior you should report on the Support Portal.  If you are fatigued enough to sleep for 8 hours, then nothing should be interrupting that sleep (as much as a few people complain about not being able to interrupt sleep... :D), sounds like you are experiencing some kind of bug.

I'm still trying to determine if it's something connected to the "wake player if freezing" option in the custom settings or if it's just something about the game at lower difficulties or something else entirely.  At this point, I'm not absollutely convinced it's a bug.

It's an incredibly stupid mechanic. Yes, it's easily avoidable, but it is counter to the entire notion of survival trumping psychological well-being. Moreover, it's just outright dumb that I will get cabin fever in a little shack, but not by living for days at a time inside a fishing hut. I mean, c'mon.

8 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

Now that I have all my feats, I just play Custom and disable it every time.  Too much overhead trying to manage it and detracts from my enjoyment.

I almost did, but I left it on because late game after I'm well settled, it can very easily turn into a battle of "pass time, sleep, pass time, sleep" then hunt a bear every 7 days or so and repeat the same routine.  This at least forces me out of the house to do...SOMETHING.  Gather sticks if nothing else.

1 minute ago, ajb1978 said:

I almost did, but I left it on because late game after I'm well settled, it can very easily turn into a battle of "pass time, sleep, pass time, sleep" then hunt a bear every 7 days or so and repeat the same routine.  This at least forces me out of the house to do...SOMETHING.  Gather sticks if nothing else.

I can see that happening.  I've never been one to do the "pass time, sleep, pass..." rotation (even in late game).  Figured if I'm that bored with the game, it's time to set it down for the night.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

First off, staying indoors as much as possible seems like a perfectly reasonable reaction to mabye... *shrugs* I dont know... being stuck in A FREEZING COLD WASTELAND OF DEATH AND DESPAIR WHERE EVERYTHING IS TRYING TO EAT YOUR FACE OFF.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the idea. Rather, I dislike the fact that it's been implemented in a completely unrealistic manner. A normal person wont develop cabin fever for weeks, or if you were already a shut-in like me maybe never lol (I currently haven't left my property for almost anything in nearly five weeks). If it took longer to develop and/or was slowed/prevented by doing DIFFERENT things indoors other than resting, I would have less issue with it.

Also, cabin fever never kept me from sleeping (real life here), it would actually become a favorite pastime from boredom. If Hinterland feels the need to keep it, some OTHER punishment would be far more fitting. They have done fantastically well with other mechanics. I'd even call them an example to learn from in some cases. So... why drop the ball on this one? PLEASE, remove or change this game wrecking mechanic. Until then, I will just go scrap my current 60 day run and go play something else. Pilgrim is just to "foam on all the sharp edges" for me.

You could play custom Xbuilder, you can just turn off cabin feaver. I do.

edit--------

I just noticed an admit talking about discussing what we like and dislike about cabin fever. For me personally it's just strange. Maybe it's because I don't personally get cabin fever but there is also the fact that our character would rather be in a -40 blizzard than inside for sleeping and it's just like, really? It's just too unbelievable for me.

edit2---------

Maybe if they switched it to a bored stat where it can hurt your productivity when crafting and it takes a little longer to read or something. I could see that, getting distracted and unable to focus well....fidgety, etc.

Edited by odizzido

I see this has come up again.  I'm still of the mindset that cabin fever should limit your sleep to no more than 3 hours at a time and disable "pass time", instead of preventing sleep at all.  If you need to pass time indoors, find something to do that passes time.  Craft something, read, go bust something up.  Just do something to occupy your mind.  I think everyone has been dealing with a little real-life cabin fever lately, and staying occupied is the best way to combat that.  If you're exhausted, you will sleep, even under the absolute worst circumstances.  You might not sleep well, but you will sleep.