THE LONG DARK Updated to v 2.26

Admin

7 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

@Leeanda
Agreed... I think the flask losing condition from falls and struggles is fair.
Clothing Items tear/loose condition from falls, so there's certainly precedent for it.
With recycled cans and cooking pots... they lose condition when (and are also unrepairable) a food item "burns" or batch of water "boils off."

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Point is, despite other people's gripes... I agree with you.  The tradeoff seems more than fair considering its proportionally massive benefit.  I think that the implementation that Raph spoke of is a good one.

True.. there is also supposed to be more than one on each run so not a total loss  if you lose one.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, ManicManiac said:

@Leeanda

I'd love it if other potentially fragile items (like say... the storm lantern) could break from falls and struggles too. :D 
Of course, bedrolls and clothes also take a beating from struggles... so I suppose theirs that. 

Especially if you're holding the lantern.. that'd just make sense.if you fall then both should take damage..

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

re: Insulated Flask Condition loss -- will double/triple-check the implementation, but the design was for the Flask to only lose Condition from Falls and potentially Struggles. It should not decay naturally, or at least not noticeably.

Good to know.  Thanks for the info!

That's a good design decision, now I can keep my Flask collection intact and on display. 

Speaking of Flasks, the Fandom wiki ( I know..I know.. ) mentions you can put stews inside the flask, but from my limited testing that is just not possible. Anybody else can store stews inside the flasks? 

1 hour ago, ManicManiac said:

@Leeanda
Agreed... I think the flask losing condition from falls and struggles is fair.
Clothing Items tear/loose condition from falls, so there's certainly precedent for it.
With recycled cans, cooking pots, and skillets... they lose condition when (and are also unrepairable) a food item "burns" or batch of water "boils off."

Point is, despite other people's gripes... I agree with you.  The tradeoff seems more than fair considering its proportionally massive benefit.  I think that the implementation that Raph spoke of is a good one.

Pots and Skillets are actually repairable with a piece of scrap metal and a toolbox/quality toolbox.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, BugReportEnthusiast said:

from FALLS??

What the hell, it's a flask! no other item takes damage like this

That’s not so bad, thinking hard about it I was mapping out the region and it’s likely that I took more falls and wolf attacks than I had realized without understanding or considering the mechanics of the flask but now that I know I can be smarter and not take them when I do reckless shit like cartography of a brand new area lol besides we have at least 6 of them scattered so 5 really because the jackrabbit is going on the shelf next to the gold nuggets and they should last a good long time if we don’t make dumb mistakes, of course I’d love to be able to fix them but I appreciate the new challenge of having something non health related to be worried about, the flasks are basically our castaway Wilsons 😂

P.s. a lot of items take fall/attack damage, like every clothing and accessories item and I think some inventory items like the bedroll and mag glass can get jacked from bear attacks 

Edited by Enigmaecho
  • Upvote 1

• Hinterland
14 hours ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

re: Insulated Flask Condition loss -- will double/triple-check the implementation, but the design was for the Flask to only lose Condition from Falls and potentially Struggles. It should not decay naturally, or at least not noticeably.

Confirmed that this is how it works.

• Upvote 8
  • Like 2

• Hinterland
6 hours ago, BugReportEnthusiast said:

from FALLS??

I suggest you do some research into how Insulated Flasks work in real life, and what happens when the vacuum seal is damaged, or in the older models, when the glass vacuum flask is broken.

• Upvote 9
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

Excuse me? I suggest you do some research into how Insulated Flasks work in real life, and what happens when the vacuum seal is damaged, or in the older models, when the glass vacuum flask is broken.

Too true, my Grandad used to have one of those glass ones.  They're so fragile, I had to be careful to not close it too tightly and make sure I didn't drop it at all.

• Upvote 2

Just asking to double check. After the hotfix I tested Scurvy on my second Interloper save for multiple ingame days and I consistently got scurvy risk from cooked coho salmon that was around 2kg to 3kg pretty much on the hour every single day. In other words, it seems 2.5kg cooked coho salmon gives enough vitamin c for around a day on Interloper. Is that intended?

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Laika Ivanova said:

Just asking to double check. After the hotfix I tested Scurvy on my second Interloper save for multiple ingame days and I consistently got scurvy risk from cooked coho salmon that was around 2kg to 3kg pretty much on the hour every single day. In other words, it seems 2.5kg cooked coho salmon gives enough vitamin c for around a day on Interloper. Is that intended?

I would also like to know the answer to this because it's going to be very tedious to avoid scurvy once you inevitably exhaust all other sources of it, you're gonna be locked into eating fish all day every day

6 minutes ago, BugReportEnthusiast said:

I would also like to know the answer to this because it's going to be very tedious to avoid scurvy once you inevitably exhaust all other sources of it, you're gonna be locked into eating fish all day every day

Don't get me wrong. I love the idea of scurvy. I was hyped for it when it was first announced, but I think having to eat half a big salmon every day just to merely avoid it is a bit much if that is the current balance of it and not a bug. If it is intentional I hope they will tweak it later on.

6 hours ago, Laika Ivanova said:

Don't get me wrong. I love the idea of scurvy. I was hyped for it when it was first announced

Me too.  I'm playing my first scurvy-enabled run as interloper, and it's a *much* stronger influence on game play than expected.  Even with eating ten or more cat tails every day, it only slows my descent into scurvy hell.  Maybe with ten cat tails and a rose hip tea every day I'd be stable, but I doubt it.

I like the idea, but as you implied, it's shaping up to be a fishing only existence.  That seems to be the only thing strong enough, aside from potatoes, to really knock down your scurvy condition.

On 12/15/2023 at 12:27 PM, BugReportEnthusiast said:

from FALLS??

I'm guessing these are modeled on the old vacuum flasks which were just a silvered glass vessel inside a vacuum, very fragile and often completely ruined if dropped. 

Edited by RO8525

On 12/15/2023 at 12:20 PM, Raphael van Lierop said:

I suggest you do some research into how Insulated Flasks work in real life, and what happens when the vacuum seal is damaged, or in the older models, when the glass vacuum flask is broken.

Yep -- even my very expensive and tough "Yeti" bottle took a beating when it rolled off the hood of my vehicle and bounced in the parking lot.  It still works fine, but there are two big dents, and the carry handle is roughed up. Totally my fault -- I thought the bag I put in front of it would keep it steady ... but nope, bad call!

----

I've found one flask so far -- tried to put corn in it after heating up several cans but it did not work. Tomato soup worked fine, tho'

I leant my beloved flask to someone who left in sitting on the bonnet of their car then drove off. They retrieved it when it fell into the road, but the plastic that was part of the seal broke and it was useless after that. Gutted.

I'm as astonished as Raph was that someone thought damage caused by a fall was unexpected. Yes, falls! Things break when they fall! Things you're carrying break when you fall! Gravity is merciless and the ground is hard.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, xanna said:

I leant my beloved flask to someone who left in sitting on the bonnet of their car then drove off. They retrieved it when it fell into the road, but the plastic that was part of the seal broke and it was useless after that. Gutted.

I'm as astonished as Raph was that someone thought damage caused by a fall was unexpected. Yes, falls! Things break when they fall! Things you're carrying break when you fall! Gravity is merciless and the ground is hard.

You generally break your fall with your legs, not your backpack or any of your equipment

4 minutes ago, BugReportEnthusiast said:

You generally break your fall with your legs, not your backpack or any of your equipment

That sounds more like a jump than a fall. I am picturing falling as falling over, part of my body other than my feet making contact with the ground in an uncontrolled way, and I could easily smack my backpack into a rock wall as I do.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

Me too.  I'm playing my first scurvy-enabled run as interloper, and it's a *much* stronger influence on game play than expected.  Even with eating ten or more cat tails every day, it only slows my descent into scurvy hell.  Maybe with ten cat tails and a rose hip tea every day I'd be stable, but I doubt it.

I like the idea, but as you implied, it's shaping up to be a fishing only existence.  That seems to be the only thing strong enough, aside from potatoes, to really knock down your scurvy condition.

I was thinking a bit today about how Hinterland has made these updates so far and I got creative and put a tin foil hat on my head for a second: Hinterland put out a Roadmap at the beginning, so they clearly knew what kind of content and mechanics they would add. What if...the tip ups we got before are supposed to be used for Scurvy, and potentially rebalanced with it's release? So anyway, I started testing...

Turns out, tip ups are a lot better than when I originally tested them day one when they came out. In the daily gameplay loop they are AMAZING to combat scurvy. I highly recommend making one and trying it out yourself. Great tip: Just use one in a fishing hut, and instead of going away, just let it sit and cook water in the meantime. Great way to utilize time while being close to a tip up to get the most out of it :)

Edit: Another thing. Up until now I was very disappointed with how aggressively Scurvy was implemented, but as it turns out, Hinterland was 4 steps ahead. Smart move I gotta say. What wasn't smart imo was to release tip ups seperately from Scurvy, but that may have been due to internal issues, etc. Whatever. They clearly knew what they were doing here. Talking about being 4 steps ahead, I have a strong feeling now that the missing renewability/repairability of certain items we got recently may also be connected to the Trader that we will get. I wouldn't be surprised.

Edited by Laika Ivanova

@Admin are these changes/fixes aplly to existing saves past update or ?

Also there is a bug when creating the improvised bedroll. It doesnt take the feathers and changes to improvised in progress. You cant finish it ot use it after that process. Anyone had this? 

Yes the flask seems to loose condition "as you go". Ive put mine on display in base. It ws on 75% ill check later how it is.

Also almost no bears in my run.

Edit

Just logged in and my save has a rollback. A few in game days.....wtf?

Edited by James Hickok