THE LONG DARK Updated to v 2.26

Admin

16 hours ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

Me too.  I'm playing my first scurvy-enabled run as interloper, and it's a *much* stronger influence on game play than expected.  Even with eating ten or more cat tails every day, it only slows my descent into scurvy hell.  Maybe with ten cat tails and a rose hip tea every day I'd be stable, but I doubt it.

I like the idea, but as you implied, it's shaping up to be a fishing only existence.  That seems to be the only thing strong enough, aside from potatoes, to really knock down your scurvy condition.

Ive srarted a new interloper and on day 50ish. I literally left every rosehip and other untouched, didnt consume any human food what so ever only xat tails and meat tell day 30ish and now only meat and I dont have scurvy? Bug?

8 hours ago, James Hickok said:

I literally left every rosehip and other untouched, didnt consume any human food what so ever only xat tails and meat tell day 30ish and now only meat and I dont have scurvy? Bug?

I can't remember which day I first started getting scurvy warnings.  It was well into my run though.  I had no sign of it until at least day 30.

Hinterland did say that it was an affliction geared towards longer runs and later gameplay, so this is no surprise really. As I said before, none of us is going to get to grips with it properly until we've had a chance to play a new run for a good length of time.

It would take 8 to 12 weeks before you would feel the lack of vitamin C - provided you were on a vitamin C sufficient diet before, which we can assume for our "survivor", having fallen out of the sky by some means not further disclosed. So it makes sense that this has a rather forgiving grace period.

Regarding the flask: I'm not a fan of unrepairable items from a gameplay / incentive perspective. For a lot of people it is very prohibitive if a resource, almost no matter how pentiful, is not renewable. So they rather choose to not use it at all. They will rather keep the flask at home for when they really need it - just that they will not have it around when that moment occurs. I refer to this as "stacking potions" from old RPG games where you had some unique powerups you would only find once or maybe a handful of, but end up never using them because they were so scarce you were afraid to used them before you really needed them.

Apt debaters will now point to the stim and its overwhelming potential and equal scarcety. And to some extend that is true, and I've died more than once with a perfectly valid stim in hand, sometimes because I was too greedy to use it, sometimes because I've just forgotten it because I use them so seldomly. But at least the stim doesn't punish you for having it around when you have a minor mishap like jumping from the Summit. 🫡

I guess this is more of a psychological barrier for some people (I clearly used to be among them) than an actual gameplay issue. I just wanted to raise awareness of this perspective, although I'm confident this has been raised in internal development meetings already, so honestly it's just me talking a lot again I guess. 🤷‍♂️

Stuffed Plush Chainsaw uses Wall Of Text. It is very effective!

14 minutes ago, Stuffed Plush Chainsaw said:

Regarding the flask: I'm not a fan of unrepairable items from a gameplay / incentive perspective. For a lot of people it is very prohibitive if a resource, almost no matter how pentiful, is not renewable. So they rather choose to not use it at all. They will rather keep the flask at home for when they really need it

I totally recognise the phenomenon you're describing. However, the flask doesn't degrade with use, so it's no harm to use it, plus there do seem to be quite a number of them around the place, so I don't think I'll be put off. It feels more like a mag lens than a stim, if you see what I mean.

Edited by xanna
  • Upvote 2

On 12/16/2023 at 4:23 PM, Laika Ivanova said:

Turns out, tip ups are a lot better than when I originally tested them day one when they came out. In the daily gameplay loop they are AMAZING to combat scurvy.

If that's the case, I wonder if Hinterland has made a commensurate change in the number of places where you can go ice fishing.

1 hour ago, I_eat_only_wolf_meat said:

If that's the case, I wonder if Hinterland has made a commensurate change in the number of places where you can go ice fishing.

There was mention of fixing an issue to PV where they couldn’t place in intended spots but no mention of new spots, alas, it’s a great system still but there’s lots of places that look like they should be suitable but are not sadly 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, xanna said:

I totally recognise the phenomenon you're describing. However, the flask doesn't degrade with use, so it's no harm to use it, plus there do seem to be quite a number of them around the place, so I don't think I'll be put off. It feels more like a mag lens than a stim, if you see what I mean.

As far as I know the maglens doesn't degrade by suffering from excessive downward accelleration which is known to periodically happen to inhabitants of Great Bear. But, yes, I agree that this probably will not affect actual gameplay.

Edited by Stuffed Plush Chainsaw

hey, question but um... how come we can still use ruined broth to cook but cant use ruined potatoes or carrots or other stuff? i wanted to make the stew thing but it took me freaking ages to find canned corn and by the time i did my potatoes were ruined and it wouldnt let me cook with them

i understand that it's a ruined potatoe but i had level 5 cooking! you can still cook ruined raw meat why cant i cook a ruined potato??

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/18/2024 at 8:00 AM, Leeanda said:

Occasionally get sound  dropping to almost nothing except I can still hear Astrid walking normally.

Is this just happening randomly throughout the entire playthrough?

I know that this can happen in the new region.

(Spoiler contains a key aspect of the new dlc region, just in case anyone doesn't want it spoiled)

Spoiler

Poisonous gas for some reason makes ambient sound very quiet when walking through it without a respirator

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Smellyfries said:

Is this just happening randomly throughout the entire playthrough?

I know that this can happen in the new region.

(Spoiler contains a key aspect of the new dlc region, just in case anyone doesn't want it spoiled)

Reveal hidden contents

Poisonous gas for some reason makes ambient sound very quiet when walking through it without a respirator

It's randomly... The last time I was in scruffys cave,she was yapping trying to get away from me,after a few minutes it went muffled ,but my footsteps were still normal..  I can't remember where the others happened.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

It's randomly... The last time I was in scruffys cave,she was yapping trying to get away from me,after a few minutes it went muffled ,but my footsteps were still normal..

Strange, the closest thing I can think of is when the ambient sound quiets down when entering the back of caves, or outdoor areas where windchill is completely brought down to zero. There are weird areas like in Ash Canyon where a tiny overhang counts as the back of a cave, causing the ambience to soften a bit when it otherwise really shouldn't.

I don't know of this happening inside indoor caves though, maybe it's just a quark of Scruffy's cave. 

14 minutes ago, Smellyfries said:

Strange, the closest thing I can think of is when the ambient sound quiets down when entering the back of caves, or outdoor areas where windchill is completely brought down to zero. There are weird areas like in Ash Canyon where a tiny overhang counts as the back of a cave, causing the ambience to soften a bit when it otherwise really shouldn't.

I don't know of this happening inside indoor caves though, maybe it's just a quark of Scruffy's cave. 

I think one other was in a building of some sort...  I'll keep an eye on it and see if it happens again.

On 12/18/2023 at 12:21 PM, GuardianCreature said:

you can still cook ruined raw meat why cant i cook a ruined potato??

I imagine "ruined" meat is just moldy and/or filled with bugs that a Level 5 chef can get rid of, since it shouldn't rot in such cold temperatures... but a ruined potato turns into a foul-smelling mush from the inside out... quite inedible I would imagine ;).

• Upvote 1

• Admin unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2024 at 4:24 PM, conanjaguar said:

I imagine "ruined" meat is just moldy and/or filled with bugs that a Level 5 chef can get rid of, since it shouldn't rot in such cold temperatures... but a ruined potato turns into a foul-smelling mush from the inside out... quite inedible I would imagine ;).

You can eat 0% ruined dog food. How is that any more eddible then a ruined potato? At that temperature the potato is more likely to freeze then rot, everything just degrades so fast, except for cattails and the other gathered food. I thought any veggies added would degrade at the same rate as them,

• Upvote 1