Is Acorn Coffee bugged? I seriously can't tell

Hello, first time posting here, please don't crucify me if i do something wrong

I can not understand if acorn coffee is bugged or not. Ever since its release (on PC) its only benefit was giving you a small amount of fatigue back.

However, the wiki as well as several players (that aren't on pc) claim that this coffee gives a 30 minute long "fatigue reduction" benefit. And i can't tell what on earth is going on with this drink.

It would be nice to get some official response as to whether this drink is bugged or not.. nobody seems to have a solid answer for it.

Cup_of_Acorn_Coffee_icon.webp

@BugReportEnthusiast

Myself, I've not yet bothered to gather enough acorns to try it out the acorn coffee yet (my current run calls for no harvesting plants).
I did search for acorns once to try it (that is to say searched around one tree), but I only came up with three acorns... so I just cooked and ate them.

However, I think we can tag @Admin and see whether or not Hinterland intended the buff effect... or not.
I imagine there are at least a few folks here who would be up for doing some science between the various platforms.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
image.gif.df72568f46c51e86f25d8afe313ea9f6.gif

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 3

I have played TLD for over 6,000 hours and I struggle to see any worthwhile benefit in collecting and processing acorns.  However,  when autumn comes I shall try collecting acorns, in real-life, and try making acorn coffee.

Edited by peteloud

18 hours ago, BugReportEnthusiast said:

Hello, first time posting here, please don't crucify me if i do something wrong

I can not understand if acorn coffee is bugged or not. Ever since its release (on PC) its only benefit was giving you a small amount of fatigue back.

However, the wiki as well as several players (that aren't on pc) claim that this coffee gives a 30 minute long "fatigue reduction" benefit. And i can't tell what on earth is going on with this drink.

It would be nice to get some official response as to whether this drink is bugged or not.. nobody seems to have a solid answer for it.

Cup_of_Acorn_Coffee_icon.webp

Could you provide a video?

@hozz1235 I cannot, as I don't have any acorn coffee on my character, however the issue is very simple:

Regular coffee: Increases fatigue meter, gives 1hr of "Reduced fatigue" Benefit.
Acorn coffee: Only increases fatigue meter, gives no lasting "Reduced fatigue" benefit. The "Reduced fatigue" boost shows up on screen after you consume it, but nothing is there when you look in the condition tab

I get that acorn coffee is weaker than regular coffee but without the reduced fatigue benefit, it's basically useless. That's why i'm wondering if this is bugged or not

That's a brilliantly fitting username 😁.

I did cook up a ton of acorn coffee and honestly I don't ever remember seeing the reduced fatigue benefit on the status page after drinking it.

I have a dozen spare mugs of ready-made coffee, I'll try them tonight and provide screenies if they do not work accordingly. 

EDIT: Had a spare few minutes off work so I quickly logged in and tested, no luck.

Apologies for the mangled screenshots, I'm taking these from my second monitor and steam is not capturing the screenshots with F12, so these are windows snippets.

Drank the acorn coffee, it shows the benefit effect on screen, but doesn't apply to the status screen, nor do I get the little blue plus sign on top of the fatigue meter. 

backpack.thumb.png.0c9650272076cd301cd83a09b021ad29.pngstatus_after.thumb.png.ef6f5f7e858d68a91ccf50c6fd2abb63.png

fatigue_reduced.png

Edited by Dan_
Added prints
  • Upvote 1

Acorn coffee restores 5% fatigue, it offers no other special benefit. I can't say whether or not the original intent was for it to offer an extended fatigue reduction like regular coffee, but current state it does not.

Edit: Confirmed using console commands. set_fatigue 50 to knock myself to 50%, then I passed 5 hours. I was now down to 25%. Used set_fatigue 45, drank a cup of acorn coffee to bump me back to 50, passed another 5 hours. I was still at 25%.

Edited by ajb1978
  • Upvote 3

Good to know thanks.  I was wondering the same, so it offers no stamina reduction over time. currently, similar to coffee?

Edit: the stamina reduction does not show up in the character status araa.  It might have been intended this way just checking.  

Edited by Duskfountain4

3 hours ago, Duskfountain4 said:

Good to know thanks.  I was wondering the same, so it offers no stamina reduction over time. currently, similar to coffee?

Correct, it only restores 5% fatigue. So I mean it is what it advertises--a weak form of coffee. Maybe not what people expected.

I think it’s weaker by design but it could use a bit of tweaking imo either more than 5% or a bit of timed reduction just for the amount of steps effort and calories in processing the grounds although wasn’t there mention it will have a flour substitute purpose previously? It would make sense for it to be weaker being a forage ingredient that can be a food, drink, or cooking ingredient.

It seems to be inconsistent. Sometimes it just gives 5% fatigue back, sometimes it gives the 30 minutes of reduced fatigue too. I've seen it do both. 

I'm going to try to test it to see when I can get it to give 30 minutes of reduced fatigue and when it won't give the buff.

Ok I think I figured out what's happening, @BugReportEnthusiast.

I used developer console to drink acorn coffee in different situations on a fresh run and every time it gave me the 30 minutes of reduced fatigue. I found resources and made it without dev console and same results. +5% fatigue and 30 minutes of reduced fatigue buff. 

It wasn't until I drank a normal coffee that the acorn coffee lost it's reduced fatigue buff. I drank normal coffee, passed time for 1 hour (to get rid of reduced fatigue buff), and then drank acorn coffee and only got the 5% fatigue. It didn't give me any reduced fatigue buff. I tried this several times and every time I drank a normal coffee, all acorn coffee drank after that did not have a reduced fatigue effect. 

So don't drink normal coffee if you want acorn coffee to work fully lol. 

TheLongDark 6_20_2023 2_24_43 PM.png

Edited by Pencil
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pencil said:

I used developer console to drink acorn coffee in different situations on a fresh run and every time it gave me the 30 minutes of reduced fatigue. I found resources and made it without dev console and same results. +5% fatigue and 30 minutes of reduced fatigue buff. 

It wasn't until I drank a normal coffee that the acorn coffee lost it's reduced fatigue buff. I drank normal coffee, passed time for 1 hour (to get rid of reduced fatigue buff), and then drank acorn coffee and only got the 5% fatigue. It didn't give me any reduced fatigue buff. I tried this several times and every time I drank a normal coffee, all acorn coffee drank after that did not have a reduced fatigue effect.

This is great stuff and I'm sure HL would want to know about it.

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to add that I wish acorn grounds were displayed in the "food and drink" category in the inventory. 

I was typing another bunch of what I thought were bugs but turned out to be just a confusing system xD

Does anyone else find the whole mechanics around acorns confusing or...?

Edited by bysinda
  • Upvote 1

On 6/15/2023 at 11:24 PM, peteloud said:

I have played TLD for over 6,000 hours and I struggle to see any worthwhile benefit in collecting and processing acorns.  However,  when autumn comes I shall try collecting acorns, in real-life, and try making acorn coffee.

I have same thought on the acorns but on one occasion they did literally saved my NOGOA run.

On 6/20/2023 at 2:54 PM, Pencil said:

Ok I think I figured out what's happening, @BugReportEnthusiast.

So don't drink normal coffee if you want acorn coffee to work fully lol. 

TheLongDark 6_20_2023 2_24_43 PM.png

This is fantastic research. Glad you were able to sort out what appears to be happening with it, and hopefully this can be patched in the future!