TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY Launch Clarification & Apology

Admin

12 hours ago, ChillPlayer said:

I don't have anything to forgive, it's a game and I am glad as a bunny that you are still putting out new stuff into survival mode. The launch bug was rather hilarious and a fix was provided by the community even faster than by the devs (copy the dll), so I was playing 15 minutes later.

But Raph, why still no patchnotes?

We are hoping to address this ASAP. Thank you for your patience!

• Like 3

I'm just hoping that the next time new content is released, that the many concerns of the playing community that have been brought up will have been recognized, validated and that the dev team will strive to communicate better with the player base.  Not that much to ask, is it?

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

I'm just hoping that the next time new content is released, that the many concerns of the playing community that have been brought up will have been recognized, validated and that the dev team will strive to communicate better with the player base.  Not that much to ask, is it?

Can you elaborate on this, have a bunch of stuff been discussed by players without comments from Hinterland?

Aside from the technical issues with the Steam download (which simply should not happen) I think you sort of bit off more than you could chew at one time and made it hard to communicate well partly for that reason. One thing I noted myself is that people simply doesn't seem to get the updates posted in the forums or on social media, I think you need in-game communication. Like notices and stuff. That should reach anyone starting the game no matter their platform.

Otherwise the lack of a more detailed roadmap for when to expect different parts of the DLC made even me a little confused, and the lack of more than 1 deadline for the first release probably caused a lot of players to think that everything would be released now (and for all platforms). Even if it would have been temporary deadlines, it would have been something clear to refer to for people asking etc.

But yeah, impossible to get these things 100% right, especially when it's so complex in nature. I feel like most of the players are just happy to finally have something new to play with :)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, yollarbenibekler said:

There is another issue with the prepper bunkers are disabled in the game and it's said that they will be back in future. Do we have to start a new game to activate bunkers or will they be available in our current run once they're enabled again?

Btw, you got this. Whatever happens, I support you guys. We all need patience, that's all. Thanks for everything. 

Thank you for reaching out! The current goal is to ensure you can continue on your current run when the bunkers return, but we will absolutely provide an update if that changes. We appreciate your patience. 

• Upvote 2

Movie tickets.

Bear with me, it'll make sense.

What does it cost to go to the movies lately? 20 bucks sounds like a fair appraisal if you consider cost of admission, plus the amount the cinema charges for snacks and a drink, plus sales tax. What you have is basically $10/hour charge for entertainment. (A two hour movie, $20 for the whole experience, works out to $10/hour.)

That's my benchmark for "is this worth paying money for."

Did you get 2 hours' worth of entertainment out of the DLC so far? If the answer is yes, you already got your money's worth.

• Upvote 9

14 minutes ago, ajb1978 said:

Movie tickets.

What does it cost to go to the movies lately? 20 bucks sounds like a fair appraisal if you consider cost of admission, plus the amount the cinema charges for snacks and a drink, plus sales tax. What you have is basically $10/hour charge for entertainment. (A two hour movie, $20 for the whole experience, works out to $10/hour.)

Did you get 2 hours' worth of entertainment out of the DLC so far? If the answer is yes, you already got your money's worth.

I don't think anyone is questioning the value.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, yollarbenibekler said:

There is another issue with the prepper bunkers are disabled in the game and it's said that they will be back in future. 

WHAT???

Is that why I absolutely *scoured* Mystery Lake this week & came up empty? Man if I'd known that it would have saved me so much time. 🤦‍♀️

15 hours ago, RossBondReturns said:

The problem with that is that they themselves simply don't know when certain things will become available.

In fact if  you read the small print at the bottom of the Expansion page it says:

Where each item fits into the release plan depends on development progress and priorities. We will strive to deliver every item on the Roadmap, but some items may be swapped out for others based on progress and community feedback. In the event that we choose to swap an item out from the Roadmap, we will always endeavour to replace it with something of the same “value”.

This is not something as simple as saying well this will go there and that will come way down the line. Some things that might have seemed easy to do might take much longer and vice-versa.

I personally don't want to know the fine details in the future updates, but at minimum there should be patch notes for what is **currently** in the DLC at present. I know that's very spoiler-y but people can avoid it.

It matters because it helps some people decide if they want to buy the DLC now as-is or wait longer. Many folks have a limited "fun money" budget & spending that for the month if there isn't yet enough in the DLC to tempt them is upsetting. Help people decide when to spend the cost of the DLC by making detailed release notes. 🙏

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

Movie tickets.

What does it cost to go to the movies lately? 20 bucks

I use this measure as well. Excellent point @ajb1978. 😁

• Upvote 1

I'm happy to read this clarification & apology. I personally avoid new releases like the plague until after a few post-release patches. Stuff ALWAYS goes wrong. People jumping directly to Steam to review bomb it because of hour-one bugs, is just... wow. We play this cold wintery game - get some chill folks. 😆

I do however get a bad taste from Hinterland people going after streamers & community members for providing their honest reactions, constructive criticism or just venting frustrations. That's not cool. Streamers & content creators are free advertising - and "chill out folks" goes both ways. 💙🥶

Personally my game is running bug free, I'm enjoying the new updates, and am very content with Hinterland's work, timelines & upcoming plans.

Only request: detailed patch notes please for already released updates for people who like to gauge purchases carefully & don't mind spoilers.

Great work devs. :coffee:

• Upvote 3

I've already posted my issue in a different thread here: 

This time I wanted to include a couple of screenshots. Not only am I not able to Left-click during gameplay, but also I'm unable to rotate objects after Right-clicking on them. You'll see the differences in these screenshots. Something is missing in Survival mode. The other is Wintermute Episode 1 inside the hangar. Everything appears normally like it should. On my first post I didn't mention where I got the game from. I got it from Steam. I even tried verifying the integrity of game files and nothing was missing.

Survival Mode.png

Wintermute Episode 1.png

5 minutes ago, Brad Simmons said:

I've already posted my issue in a different thread here: 

This time I wanted to include a couple of screenshots. Not only am I not able to Left-click during gameplay, but also I'm unable to rotate objects after Right-clicking on them. You'll see the differences in these screenshots. Something is missing in Survival mode. The other is Wintermute Episode 1 inside the hangar. Everything appears normally like it should. On my first post I didn't mention where I got the game from. I got it from Steam. I even tried verifying the integrity of game files and nothing was missing.

Survival Mode.png

Wintermute Episode 1.png

mouse wheel used for rotation?

23 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

I undersdtood the dlc structure was an experiment and is tailored for the unique case of how this game was released and the community's need for more survival content. I actually really like that you guys are trying to bring back that early access bizz feeling with the regular updates! You all revealed just enough of whats to come on future updates. You all should still celebrate!

I just think that knowing what's in this particular release to explore with should be more clear. The roadmap doesnt really let you know what is already able to be played with now vs whats coming in future. 

I agree. Hinterland should be more clear with what's actually in the patch and what's upcoming and not implemented into the game yet. I'm not sure if they put patch notes previously only had the game for like 2 years, but it should be a priority to be very clear for the community.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Grey0blivion said:

I agree. Hinterland should be more clear with what's actually in the patch and what's upcoming and not implemented into the game yet. I'm not sure if they put patch notes previously only had the game for like 2 years, but it should be a priority to be very clear for the community.

This. Raph's apology post is really nice and I'm sure necessary for many folks. Personally, because I'm a reasonable person who has a basic measure of patience, I only had one criticism out of this entire hoopla – the lack of patch notes. Which have now been confirmed to be coming (yay) and Hinterland likely won't make that error again! Everybody needs to chill by a fire with a nice cup of rosehip tea.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Gwynren said:

This. Raph's apology post is really nice and I'm sure necessary for many folks. Personally, because I'm a reasonable person who has a basic measure of patience, I only had one criticism out of this entire hoopla – the lack of patch notes. Which have now been confirmed to be coming (yay) and Hinterland likely won't make that error again! Everybody needs to chill by a fire with a nice cup of rosehip tea.

Or go outside and touch some grass.  Pet a kitten, etc.  
So Hinterland isn’t perfect 🤭? Shocker…. 
@Admin for what it’s worth I’m perfectly content with the process.  And it did generate a buzz for me since I wasn’t around for the Kickstarter.  Thank you for the experience!

4 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

mouse wheel used for rotation?

The center mouse wheel does rotate the objects yes. I just can't rotate using keyboard Q & E keys to go in a counter clockwise or in a clockwise direction. Plus not being able to Left-click to enter buildings and whatnot. No matter how many times I press the Left-click button on my mouse, it just doesn't respond.

19 minutes ago, Brad Simmons said:

The center mouse wheel does rotate the objects yes. I just can't rotate using keyboard Q & E keys to go in a counter clockwise or in a clockwise direction. Plus not being able to Left-click to enter buildings and whatnot. No matter how many times I press the Left-click button on my mouse, it just doesn't respond.

curious.  what about key bindings?  any option to assign or adjust settings in that regard? 
definitely worth putting a ticket into troubleshooting, if it might help solve this dilemma.

16 minutes ago, piddy3825 said:

curious.  what about key bindings?  any option to assign or adjust settings in that regard? 
definitely worth putting a ticket into troubleshooting, if it might help solve this dilemma.

I actually double checked key bindings and found out what was wrong. Strange I didn't notice it the first time I looked. I must of loaded Story mode at the time. But anyway problem solved! Not a 100% though. Now I'm having an issue where I can't get past the disclaimer screen. After pressing any key to continue, my screen is nothing but black. I had to press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to exit out. I've read where others were having the same problem too. For now (at least for me anyways) not a big deal considering that I just tried re-launching the game and it worked. Hopefully from here on out the problem isn't going to increase.

• Like 1

Sincerely, I don't understand all this fuss...

This was clear from the beginning : updates will be released over a year, so not all content will be available at launch. So, answers to questions like "anyone found the cougar ?" are simply : if you did not find it, well maybe it will appear in the future. But continue searching, that's all the point of the game 😉

Things have always been like this, but customers seem to have little memory :

1. You are an early adopter - you want things on day 1 of their release => you'll pay a little less, but expect bugs, fixes, and eventually some problems.

2. You prefer security and good information => buy it later, when all the fixes are released and all the information is available.

If you're a real adventurer, there should be no problem for you with option 1 : you have chosen to adopt a product early.

You have chosen to pay less to satisfy your "curiosity".
You have to chosen to take the discovery path, with scheduled releases.
You have chosen to trust Hinterland on this.
You have chosen the risk.

You don't accept this ? Then wait for a year before purchasing.

And don't tell me about bugs and bad information : most of you are playing on Windows... 😉

And for those who rant about "no cougar in this update, but they tease it in video"... Yep, they are teasing. That's commercial, it's a way to attract you, nothing new or wrong with this. It's a commercial communication on what will come over the year, not on the very first release. They never promised anywhere that they would be cougars on the first release. All the commercial communication is about the one year scheduled releases.

Honestly, anyway : did you buy this update because they announced a cougar ? NO. They announced "new fauna and plants", "improved cooking", and so on. And the fact is that this was enough to convince you to purchase immediately. It was your choice to do it with the info you had. So don't rant on them afterwards.

• Upvote 9