TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY Launch Clarification & Apology

Admin

Dear Hinterland,

Thank you for the new dlc and the work in fixing the problems after launch immediately. I love the new region and gameplay enhancements. 

I also experienced the failure at initial launch and was glad it was fixed right away. I suspected i had to update my windows version and was glad I hadn't have to update my system. 

I was shocked to read all the negative comments. I simply can not understand why people complain about small problems that get fixed right away or about totally wrong aspects, anyone who CAN READ, can find out, that they are untrue (like you have to pay again for wintermute which was communicated like a 1000 times). 

And then immediately giving a negative review on steam! What is wrong with those people? I was so disappointed. But I refuse to believe those are true TLD fans and long time  supporters and I think you can gladly ignore them and don't need their business. 

So please don't bother too much, have a nice holiday season and again, thanks for the lovely work!

Cheers from Germany 

Jeremias

• Upvote 6

is there any possibility to check a savegame if it runs with TFTFT or without the DLC? But not by going to the airfield or waiting for the loot of the DLC-items or waiting for the glimmer fog? Anything that goes fast to check it, even if it is something like a console command?

Second question: Gets a non-DLC savegame automatically transformed into a DLC savegame when buying the TFTFT DLC? Or is it required to start a new savegame then to get the benefits of the DLC?

Third question: What happens to the actual savegames when more milestones of the TFTFT gets released like new regions and items? Will we need to start a new game then for the benefits or will it get added to the existing savegames?

On 12/18/2022 at 5:01 AM, Honest said:

is there any possibility to check a savegame if it runs with TFTFT or without the DLC? But not by going to the airfield or waiting for the loot of the DLC-items or waiting for the glimmer fog? Anything that goes fast to check it, even if it is something like a console command?

The game has been totally revamped so that Wintermute and Survival are now different games. Any saves before that revamp cannot play anymore once the game has been upgraded to the new system, except with Time Capsule...

Second question: Gets a non-DLC savegame automatically transformed into a DLC savegame when buying the TFTFT DLC? Or is it required to start a new savegame then to get the benefits of the DLC?

As written everywhere on this forum, and on all other supports, it is required to start a new game to get the benefits of the DLC. Older saves will not be compatible.

Third question: What happens to the actual savegames when more milestones of the TFTFT gets released like new regions and items? Will we need to start a new game then for the benefits or will it get added to the existing savegames?

Your new saves will get all the benefits of every new milestone of the DLC, except stated otherwise. For the time being, consider all of the future milestones to be new additions to you actual game, because that's what's written ;)

we also found that some very old Steam packages, going back to Kickstarter Backers, or the 2015 BAFTA Awards judge’s package, hadn’t been given the proper WINTERMUTE entitlements, and so for those players it appeared they no longer had access to WINTERMUTE.

Those would've included me 😁

But hey it's cool, I actually found I had an old Steam key for Wintermute laying around in my mailbox for some reason so I just popped it in and it was back 😆

What I did try first though - and was frustrating - was going to your support page, it telling me to contact Steam, then the Steam support page telling me to contact you guys again. These are the kind of things you should check first, it gets very frustrating. 

Other than that I'm enjoying the Tales for now :)

Edited by Shadrach

On 12/19/2022 at 10:04 AM, DaGnome91 said:

The game has been totally revamped so that Wintermute and Survival are now different games. Any saves before that revamp cannot play anymore once the game has been upgraded to the new system, except with Time Capsule...

As written everywhere on this forum, and on all other supports, it is required to start a new game to get the benefits of the DLC. Older saves will not be compatible.

Your new saves will get all the benefits of every new milestone of the DLC, except stated otherwise. For the time being, consider all of the future milestones to be new additions to you actual game, because that's what's written ;)

sorry DaGnome for wasting your time on answering my question, which I asked unspecific and it was possible to misinterpret it.

I was not asking about the savegames of the pre-update as I know they not working (besides using the time capsule feature on steam).

My questions were referred to the situation after the update and you start a new savegame, but you do not know if the TFTFT DLC is actually really "active" within that savegame. (for cases like you have the client already running, then buying the TFTFT DLC, directly go into the game and start immediately a new run)

On 12/22/2022 at 12:02 AM, Honest said:

My questions were referred to the situation after the update and you start a new savegame, but you do not know if the TFTFT DLC is actually really "active" within that savegame. (for cases like you have the client already running, then buying the TFTFT DLC, directly go into the game and start immediately a new run)

Everything that was started before the TFTFT DLC is not compatible with it.

I think that, by downloading and installing the TFTFT DLC, your clients stops & restarts (to be confirmed, but sounds logical to me...).

The main menu has been completeley revamped, too. So assume that everything started froom the new revamped menu will run in the new environment of TFTFT DLC.

• Upvote 1

I got help in solving this problem: pressing F8 while ingame records a screenshot on desktop together with some debug information. There is also the information that the DLC is in-use which should be the solution I was looking for to clarify this

@HonestNo misinterpretation on my part, and I hope none on yours too, my message was just informative (sorry if the tone was upsetting, it was not meant to be): if you play on Steam, it's up to you to decide if you want to upgrade while running a game or not. Via other means, I really don't know. In Steam though, by right-clicking on a game in your collection and selecting Properties, you can decide if you want to always keep the game up-to-date (by default), and if you want to pause the download of updates while playing (this choice is also the default one).

So, if you launched your game immediately after starting your pc, and these choices are yours (always keep the game up-to-date, and pause the download while playing), then you'd be playing an older version of the game.

To know in-game if you're playing a version or another, getting back to the game-menu is one way, pressing F8 and looking at the screenshot is another, and finally looking at your stone-caches in the log will tell you if you happen to play with the newest version : the top 3 regions shown in this part of the log are the new regions (Forsaken Airfield, Transfer Pass, Far Range Branch Line). If you see those, then your version of the game has been updated.

Glad you found a way by yourself.

Edited by DaGnome91

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2022 at 3:31 AM, YTK said:

Dear Hinterland,

Thank you for the new dlc and the work in fixing the problems after launch immediately. I love the new region and gameplay enhancements. 

I also experienced the failure at initial launch and was glad it was fixed right away. I suspected i had to update my windows version and was glad I hadn't have to update my system. 

I was shocked to read all the negative comments. I simply can not understand why people complain about small problems that get fixed right away or about totally wrong aspects, anyone who CAN READ, can find out, that they are untrue (like you have to pay again for wintermute which was communicated like a 1000 times). 

And then immediately giving a negative review on steam! What is wrong with those people? I was so disappointed. But I refuse to believe those are true TLD fans and long time  supporters and I think you can gladly ignore them and don't need their business. 

So please don't bother too much, have a nice holiday season and again, thanks for the lovely work!

Cheers from Germany 

Jeremias

Thank you for your kind words, and Happy New Year! 

• Admin unpinned this topic