Your thoughts on the new Loot table?

Ya know, if HL really wanted to keep this game interesting/challenging, they would randomize the loot tables much more frequently. 🤪

If you think about it, it's much more realistic.  Knowing where to run on every new game to get said item is just too...predictable.

Edited by hozz1235
  • Upvote 6

14 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

Ya know, if HL really wanted to keep this game interesting/challenging, they would randomize the loot tables much more frequently. 🤪

Haha, cant deny that. Its exciting to not knowing anymore where things are. Can be frustrating but also fun. Cant wait to get my hands on a Thermos (especially on Interloper if possible), and cooking my own Soups and Stews instead of those Tomatocans :P Tbh, im so happy that they still bring new content for the in my opinion best survival game ever, that i'd even pay a 60€ AAA-Pricetag for it. Even before the DLC, i kept coming back to this game every winter. Now, its even more fun. And newer :P

38 minutes ago, stapeliad said:

I kinda think that bedroll has to be earned..... but if it's there I'll take it!

I dunno, based on all the various commentary from dozens of players across a few different social media platforms, lots of players are finding that bearskin bag in the coal shute building.  I'm fairly confindent, when I say it's probably gonna be a guaranteed spawn. 

But, if the bag ends up the same acclerated wear rate that it has had in the past, the trick is gonna be keeping it maintained.
Still gonna need a fresh bearskin to repair it! 😬

my first interloper where I didn't find a single match started before the last bunch of updates. I now started a new interloper run to check if they fixed those loot-tables by now and it was much better. I randomly started in BR and found the first matches right away on a workbench, then went to TWM and found matches in the hut, but on a slightly different place than usual. also found a magnifying glass quite well hidden, almost overlooked this as well as a hacksaw on the window sill. other loot is very sparse as it should be.

Edited by nGueRRe
typo

Interloper player here,
I like the new loot tables and I think with another few balance passes and tweaks here and there they will be great.

Each zone feels good to loot, you don't get everything in one zone at all anymore. I also like the fact that they totally broke the old loot tables so while you know where to look still you don't know what your going to find, if anything.

I also love the new visor notes. While I haven't found many of them because im busy doing other surviving stuff it will give a longer run another thing to do which is great.

I really like how they separated the flare guns from the shells on most of my runs and on my current run I've only found one bedroll and I had to go to HRV to get it which i think is a nice touch. The devs do have a grasp on the old meta, they actually play the game.. these new loot tables are trying to shake it up which is win win for us. They do need a tuning pass here and there, which im sure will come as they gather more info. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

My current run is a custom game that's mostly Interloper settings (to keep it interesting) with Voyageur loot (to learn about the new system).

I'm finding what I need, just have to search for it more.  The old places aren't reliable and stuff is turning up in places that it never appeared before.  The loot in the new locations feels more variable too.  Small sample size, but I've tested it by spawning in the same region a few times.

I like the changes!  A lot!

The game feels fresh again.  Instead of a few coffee-fueled days of sprinting through the world to known loot locations, I'm taking my time again.  Settling down for a few days to check out the surrounding area before moving to the next area.  Finding a key piece of gear feels very rewarding.  The surprises are pretty rewarding too.  New corpses (yay, more feathers!), tools and weapons in spots they've never been in the past.  Even coffee in new and unexpected places.  \o/

I've only found two memento caches so far, and they are surprisingly good.  Not simply the loot itself, but the lore.  One had pretty funny loot (although still useful), the other had OMG Jackpot! loot.  I like the memento "hints" too, although I'm still in the old regions so I'm familiar with every place so far.  But they are really useful places to guide newer players too, and the lore is welcome.

• Upvote 1

Jackpot, I just found my 2nd expedition parka, yey 🎉

expedition.thumb.jpg.e7721b419e4d6a5ce828312d74362501.jpg

Now I can ditch my Bearskin Coat and make room for 3.5kg more stuff to carry around with only 2C less warmth bonus, but with +29C it's still plenty enough.

I found it in PV's radio control hut, which was the 3rd place I was checking out on that map. All other items I've found in FA, TP, BRR and ML. 5 maps and I have almost completed my set, so yeah, to answer the original question, I like the new loot table.

Having said that, I feel a bit let down that crafted stuff is generally inferiour compared to found cloths. One might argue that the bearskin coat gives a bigger temp bonus but it is much heavier than the exp parka and when it comes to pants (ski pants give 2.5C at 1kg, deer skin 2C at 2kg) or boots (both give 2.5C but deersking boots are 0.5kg heavier) or head gear, there is no question what is better. The only exception are the mittens, I think rabbit mittens are still the best in the game(?).

In Timberwolf Mountain you no longer get the guaranteed matches in the three-way cave near Echo Ravine (Interloper). In the hut I got a magnifying lens, but no longer the guaranteed tool (was a hacksaw, hammer or storm lantern). Still good with all the cat tails. And I got a ski jacket, a hat and crappy gloves. But it nerfs this excellent starting location a bit, which is probably a good decision balance wise.

In PV Farmstead I don't have matches in the basement. And no tool either. Only a whetstone.

There are still shooting research books in Interloper. While it's fun to get your skills up that way maybe it's also a bit taunting and overall useless. Those could be removed.

Sapling spawns don't seem to have been updated. That would be a nice change too.

Edited by Serenity

4 hours ago, Glacia said:

I think there is a bug on keeper pass south, every car trunk have a water bottle and a few cloth. There are various cars and everyone have this loot, seems duplicated but idk

It's the same pre update. I've been getting that since the area was introduced.

• Upvote 1

On 12/8/2022 at 4:43 PM, nGueRRe said:

I am still surviving on interloper, because I found a magnifying glass and a fire striker early, but not a single match and I searched in 5 regions so far. I dislike that items are not in places where it would be plausible to find them, for example just a few matches left from a box on a dead body. if people are out there in the wilderness wouldn't it be likely for them to carry some matches? or perhaps an empty box of matches now and then?

Odd.
On interloper, I have done a few runs starting in BRR and then going into FT.

Tons of matches in BRR, plus a chance of striker.

From starting in BRR 4 times, I would say there are at least two guaranteed match spawns - Maintenance Shed and Hunting Lodge. 
Also, two guaranteed stims in BRR.

Further, in FT, I have always found more matches than I would need anytime soon.

In one run, I found a total of three bedrolls between BRR and FT. Yikes  

-t

On 12/8/2022 at 8:17 PM, Shadox said:

What is your experience on your new Saves so far? Everything like before? Noticed more or less of specific Items?

For now I've only been playing a new survival run on Pilgrim, starting in Broken Railroad and finally reaching the Forsaken Airfield after a long and treacherous journey. What I've noticed so far:

• The newly-reshuffled loot tables hit me hard: I went looking for the prybar in the Maintenance Shed, but of course it wasn't in its usual place. "Fine," I thought, "I'm sure it'll be somewhere else — maybe outside, maybe in the Hunter's lodge, maybe in the bear's cave or some other cave, or in another truck…" Nope. Not a prybar in the whole Broken Railroad region. Then, when I finally decided to leave the region without being able to look inside lockers and trunks, and I entered the train tunnel past the Broken Bridge, what's the first thing I see lying on the ground? Why, a prybar of course. And what do I find when I finally exit the tunnel on the other side? What do you know, another prybar.
  • Even on Pilgrim, resources seem scarcer than before. I'm finding a lot of empty containers, more frequently than before. This doesn't really bother me, except...
  • ...I'm also having a hard time finding good clothing. My survivor has trekked from Broken Railroad to Forsaken Airfield with only a pair of jeans, a pair of long johns, trail boots, a thick wool sweather, a simple parka and a Mackinaw jacket, a wool toque and a long wool scarf, and a pair of wool mittens. I had to repair everything because even the better articles of clothing were found in average to very low condition. I completely used the only two sewing kits I've found in my whole run so far. I haven't found anything warmer than Mackinaw jackets, but lots of useless worn t-shirts, dress shirts, and cotton toques.
  • I don't know if it's bad luck, or if it's typical of the new regions, but the weather I've encountered traversing Far Range Branch Line, Transfer Pass, and Forsaken Airfield was relentlessly awful. But even in Broken Railroad, a more familiar region, it was a blizzard after another. I wasted three in-game days just hanging around indoors, burning through resources, before I could prepare to move out of the region (the light clothing didn't help).
  • Other essential items that are strangely missing (and are sorely needed): Storm lantern, hunting knife, and a hatchet. I found an improvised knife stabbing a tyre of a truck in Transfer Pass.
  • Conversely, resources I seem to be finding everywhere, and more frequently than before, are pieces of cloth and cured leather.

I wish hinterland would over lay the old loot with new loot so, that there would be more variety. It would be a complete web of tables but, it would be well worth it in the long run. Also you should remember that some of the loot has been moved to the new memento caches. Especially the good stuff.

I've done two main runs and a couple of test runs on Interloper, and based on my limited observations there seems to have been a couple of changes to loot tables:

"Major" Loot (tools, firestriker, even thing like flares/stims etc.) have pretty much all changed locations. If you go to the same places as pre-DLC you are unlikely to find them, at the same time you will locate them in new places that you hadn't seen them spawn at before.

Searchable container loot seems to have gotten better, at the cost of pre-placed loot being generally worse. E.g. I'm more likely to find Mackinaw Coat, wool ears wraps, cargo pants etc. when searching, but the previous high probably of finding an overcoat at Spence's and PV Farmstead have been reduced. This also seems to apply to matches. I am finding matches in searchable containers much more frequently, however a lot of the guaranteed match spawns seem to have been removed/reduced to a probability.

I think this change to matches is what is throwing people out of loop. Previously at least one of the "main" locations on each map had matches. Now if you're unlucky the match spawns are in a container, or some minor location that is quite a risk to venture to if the matches aren't guaranteed. So the hitherto playstyle of hitting "major" spots to get some sort of firestarter is no longer viable. For people having trouble because of this change, I recommend looking at spots you would expect flares to spawn (e.g. in the various tractors in PV), and making your first fire with it.

Notably while ML, FM, PV had a lot of stuff removed, AC retained all its guaranteed spawns and even had a bunch of stuff added. I think this is what Hinterland were saying about making loot be more applicable to its region--AC is far off and dangerous, less people would go there and they're more likely not to come back, so the loot is better than ML/PV which are safer and central, so likely to have been looted already.

Edited by Shi-an

😕 I've been exploring on voyager and wandered what happened to all of the firearm cleaning kits. I looted BRR, far point and a lot of areas on the new map, and haven't encountered a single one. Got a pistol and a rifle though.

Also, funnily enough I haven't found a single flare gun, although, everyone claims to be finding them right and left.

36 minutes ago, tulkawendark said:

😕 I've been exploring on voyager and wandered what happened to all of the firearm cleaning kits. I looted BRR, far point and a lot of areas on the new map, and haven't encountered a single one. Got a pistol and a rifle though.

Also, funnily enough I haven't found a single flare gun, although, everyone claims to be finding them right and left.

Same here. I had to reach Forsaken Airfield to find a firearm cleaning kit. Nothing in Broken Railroad. And same here for the flare gun. I have found the flare gun case in a crashed helicopter, but it was empty — no gun, no shells.

10 hours ago, Shi-an said:

Notably while ML, FM, PV had a lot of stuff removed, AC retained all its guaranteed spawns and even had a bunch of stuff added. I think this is what Hinterland were saying about making loot be more applicable to its region--AC is far off and dangerous, less people would go there and they're more likely not to come back, so the loot is better than ML/PV which are safer and central, so likely to have been looted already.

That is a really interesting thing to bring up - I hadn't thought of it that way! I have not yet been to AC in my time playing the new update, but I have noticed that DP also seems buffed in terms of loot spawns, now making an Interloper start there more intriguing than (my usual) speedrunning Hibernia-mine-lighthouse-church-wolf gauntlet and GTFO, on to Coastal for cat tails...

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Morrick said:

For now I've only been playing a new survival run on Pilgrim, starting in Broken Railroad and finally reaching the Forsaken Airfield after a long and treacherous journey. What I've noticed so far:

• The newly-reshuffled loot tables hit me hard: I went looking for the prybar in the Maintenance Shed, but of course it wasn't in its usual place. "Fine," I thought, "I'm sure it'll be somewhere else — maybe outside, maybe in the Hunter's lodge, maybe in the bear's cave or some other cave, or in another truck…" Nope. Not a prybar in the whole Broken Railroad region. Then, when I finally decided to leave the region without being able to look inside lockers and trunks, and I entered the train tunnel past the Broken Bridge, what's the first thing I see lying on the ground? Why, a prybar of course. And what do I find when I finally exit the tunnel on the other side? What do you know, another prybar.
  • Even on Pilgrim, resources seem scarcer than before. I'm finding a lot of empty containers, more frequently than before. This doesn't really bother me, except...
  • ...I'm also having a hard time finding good clothing. My survivor has trekked from Broken Railroad to Forsaken Airfield with only a pair of jeans, a pair of long johns, trail boots, a thick wool sweather, a simple parka and a Mackinaw jacket, a wool toque and a long wool scarf, and a pair of wool mittens. I had to repair everything because even the better articles of clothing were found in average to very low condition. I completely used the only two sewing kits I've found in my whole run so far. I haven't found anything warmer than Mackinaw jackets, but lots of useless worn t-shirts, dress shirts, and cotton toques.
  • I don't know if it's bad luck, or if it's typical of the new regions, but the weather I've encountered traversing Far Range Branch Line, Transfer Pass, and Forsaken Airfield was relentlessly awful. But even in Broken Railroad, a more familiar region, it was a blizzard after another. I wasted three in-game days just hanging around indoors, burning through resources, before I could prepare to move out of the region (the light clothing didn't help).
  • Other essential items that are strangely missing (and are sorely needed): Storm lantern, hunting knife, and a hatchet. I found an improvised knife stabbing a tyre of a truck in Transfer Pass.
  • Conversely, resources I seem to be finding everywhere, and more frequently than before, are pieces of cloth and cured leather.

Just remember, the new regions (esp. FA) is reputedly the harshest region, so even on Pilgrim, you might have had to gear up a bit before venturing there (unless you want a challenge)

9 hours ago, Morrick said:

Same here. I had to reach Forsaken Airfield to find a firearm cleaning kit. Nothing in Broken Railroad. And same here for the flare gun. I have found the flare gun case in a crashed helicopter, but it was empty — no gun, no shells.

You guys are lucky to have found firearms.  I started in BRR Maint. shed and completely cleared the new areas without a single firearm.  After coming back to BRR, found one in Hunter's Lodge.

Where did you Guys find your Thin Wool Sweater on Interloper? Started a new Interloper few Days ago, and now at Day 50 i fully searched: Milton, CH, PV, ML, DP, FM just the way to the forge and TWM Peak without a proper Sweater. Found 4 Ear Wraps instead... 2 of them at the TWM Peak. Anyone seen one of those pre-placed or where did you find it`? Is there even a "guaranteed" Spawn anywhere like TWM peak and engine before the dlc? Engine containers are still unchecked here, went for the peak first, so that would be my next bet...

Edit: Bedrolls seem to be alot rarer too. In all those areas, i didnt find a Bedroll so i went for Bearroll first. Matches on the other hand aint that scarce, got ~150 so far out of these areas which is pretty nice, and i wasnt very saving with them

Edit2: No Flaregun on either Ravine Ground and TWM Peak, but i found the Crampons at the Peak! Thats interesting, might mean those crucial Items can swap Places.

Edited by Shadox