Watch Now: TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY TRAILER, Roadmap, and Launch Date

Admin

25 minutes ago, NardoLoopa said:

I've been away from the game for a long time, but will buy the Expansion on the first day it's out.  Everything in it looks exciting.

The only mis-step, for me, is "The Trader".  Not sure what it is, but if it's a person, I think that spoils one of the atmospheric gems of TLD's survival mode: the loneliness.

Perhaps the trader will be Methuselah 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, NardoLoopa said:

The only mis-step, for me, is "The Trader".  Not sure what it is, but if it's a person, I think that spoils one of the atmospheric gems of TLD's survival mode: the loneliness.

Of all things included in this dlc, the trader seems to be the one thing players are most apprehensive about. I've decided to trust Hinterland on this one. They haven't disappointed us yet with the content they've added. 

I theorize that we don't actually see or interact with him face-to-face, but rather over the shortwave radio only. From there you negotiate what to trade for an item, where to leave payment, and where to collect your item. The trader may not want to be seen! We won't know until we do it would seem. 

• Upvote 4
  • Like 1

That is also my guess. Since we have a radio, it would make sense that we'd need someone to talk to. And I'd also venture a wild guess that they won't be readily available, and that taking advantage of this feature will take effort and planning.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Mistral said:

Am I the only one who dislikes Methuselah? Well, just like almost every character in the story mode, but still...

I’m sure you’re not the only one.  Though the opposite question could be asked, am I the only one who likes Methuselah??

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Thinking about it I'm not sure a trader is even necessary for pilgrim or voyager levels. The only thing I ever got close to needing was ammo or ingredients to make it and that was after 700+ days.

Maybe it’s more about trading home baked goods and artisan crafted items…. and less about actual supplies.  You know, acorn pies and pork and bean enchiladas. Local farmers supporting local farmers. Just like the posters all over Great Bear!

Kidding 😅😅

• Upvote 1

Just now, Semple Fi said:

Maybe it’s more about trading home baked goods and artisan crafted items…. and less about actual supplies.  You know, acorn pies and pork and bean enchiladas. Local farmers supporting local farmers. Just like the posters all over Great Bear!

Kidding 😅😅

Pancakes,  waffles and apple pie 😁

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Semple Fi said:

I’m sure you’re not the only one.  Though the opposite question could be asked, am I the only one who likes Methuselah??

Definitely not the only one... IIRC, there have been posts to the wish list to be able to come across his campfires in Survival mode in the past.  The trader may simply be HL responding to that request.

Personally, I'm not apprehensive about there being a trader in the game (if one buys and activates the DLC) and would prefer to run across him as a wandering trader (Methuselah-like) rather than being located in a set "store" (although both scenarios are possible)  I wouldn't like the mail order catalogue situation (where one would place an order over the phone and then have it dropped onto the airfield by a passing plane or find it stashed at some agreed upon location).

I don't get the idea some people are expressing that the game suggests everyone else is dead.  That people left for the coast is the story Grey Mother tells and there are numerous characters to be encountered in story mode.  So, to me, encountering at least one other wandering individual (who happens to be willing to trade items) would fit right in.  That way, the player would not be able to count on him even having anything that the player needs or desires in his inventory.

Anyway, as I said before, I'm anticipating that there will be an option to disable him since he is DLC... that is, the mechanic for the main game to run without a trader in it will already be there and be the default.  If he is located in a set store, then that store is likely within the DLC area only, so then it becomes just a matter of not ever going to that location.  No big deal either way.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Definitely not the only one... IIRC, there have been posts to the wish list to be able to come across his campfires in Survival mode in the past.  The trader may simply be HL responding to that request.

Personally, I'm not apprehensive about there being a trader in the game (if one buys and activates the DLC) and would prefer to run across him as a wandering trader (Methuselah-like) rather than being located in a set "store" (although both scenarios are possible)  I wouldn't like the mail order catalogue situation (where one would place an order over the phone and then have it dropped onto the airfield by a passing plane or find it stashed at some agreed upon location).

I don't get the idea some people are expressing that the game suggests everyone else is dead.  That people left for the coast is the story Grey Mother tells and there are numerous characters to be encountered in story mode.  So, to me, encountering at least one other wandering individual (who happens to be willing to trade items) would fit right in.  That way, the player would not be able to count on him even having anything that the player needs or desires in his inventory.

I’m intrigued by both points actually.  I think the concept of a wandering Methuselah is pretty cool, but I also like the idea of using the short wave radio.  Assuming it only works during Auroras and that you may or may not be able to get what supplies you’re after based on inventory and timing.  
Like my post with Kermit losing his mind, I’m chomping at the bit for this update 😬 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NickBeast17 said:

These refreshed loot tables are going to be awesome! The forsaken airfield has to be my favorite. Those new animals, especially the ptarmigan, also look interesting. Now we all will have some more variety when hunting :D

I'm sorry I just can't take you seriously with your icon grogu is so cute!

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the ongoing conversation, and all the support! FIVE DAYS, Survivors... 

As a reminder: We will be sharing an update video to our YouTube channel when TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY launches on December 5th. We hope this answers some of your questions about everything you can expect for Part 1. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 4

@Admin, forgive me if this has been asked elsewhere but I couldn't find it...

For the Dec 5 rollout, can you tell us which roadmap items will be included?

The specific content of each Part will be communicated leading up to each release, but will draw from the following Roadmap: